Start by marking “Years of Minutes: The Best of Rooney from 60 Minutes” as Want to Read:
Years of Minutes: The Best of Rooney from 60 Minutes

Years of Minutes: The Best of Rooney from 60 Minutes

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Rooney's unique, hilarious views on our life and times from 25 years at "60 Minutes" are now in paperback in time for the holidays. Photos throughout.
Published October 15th 2004 by PublicAffairs (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Years of Minutes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Years of Minutes

Robert Sparrenberger
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A look at ten to twelve of Andy’s telecasts on 60 minutes from the years 1982-2003. It’s sort of like reading a history book through Andy’s eyes. Events in the world are discussed along with politics and what we else Andy wants to write or ramble about.

The other thing I learned is the Andy is a middle of the road guy with practical solutions for a lot of problems. He also does a great job inadvertently talking about the future.

Well worth the time. Thanks Andy. We miss you.
Paula Dembeck
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Although Andy Rooney has won many awards for his writing, most of us know this friendly curmudgeon from his days on “60 Minutes”. Originally hired as a stand-in for a show in 1978, he was so popular that he became a regular, with his trademark spot ending each edition of the popular show. Rooney made his final appearance on 60 Minutes on October 2, 2011. He had been with them for thirty three years.

This is a collection of his work over many years including those years he worked as a corresponde
BookMarc
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
There's a television programme here in America called '60 Minutes' which, as you might have guessed, is sixty minutes long. Except it isn't. For if one removes the time spent on commercials then it's probably between 45-50 minutes in length but I'm assuming a tv show with the title '45-50mins Once the Commercials Are Taken Out' is just a little too out there. About once a month, nowadays at least, the last couple of minutes are taken up by an old time radio and television writer named Andy Roone ...more
Linda
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Years of Minutes takes the reader through a selection of "A Few Minutes with Andy Rooney" essays beginning in 1982 and working its way through 2003, the 35th anniversary of 60 Minutes. Rooney's televised essays actually began in 1978; his last appearance was October 2011, just one month before his death at age 92.

Whatever else I may have been doing, usually I would wander into the living room to watch the last few minutes of 60 Minutes, just to enjoy the cumudgeony guy giving the viewers his opi
Valerie Kite
This is a fascinating reminiscence by a 92 year old man over a lifetime of history as he saw it. It was a wonderful experience to cull the experience of Rooney's lifetime as he filled in gaps of my memory as I had had a stroke and it also covered history my parents lived through and did not speak of. I had read one dry tale by Andy Rooney about his service in the war and this was a delightful book. I rrcommend it to all who want to fill in past history. Rooney had a quick wit and was a unique pe ...more
Diana
Jun 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you like him on t.v. you will love the book; he tells his reaction to our world from 1982 to 2003. Plus there are many little photos all thru the book. For example, he shows himself in Arab dress and explains the djellaba and how it cools the body in 120 degrees temperature. I think he is very funny.
I have gained a lot from the book because he has a way of bringing subjects up, and makes me think.
Jess
Jun 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, z_08
Andy Rooney has compiled a collection of essays from his time on 60 Minutes on just about everything.

Good - enjoyed the earlier decades more than the 2000s which was steeped in the War and such without as many on lighter topics like gloves.

Kathleen Wells
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Andy Rooney, and I really miss him on 60 Minutes. This is a good compilation of some of his commentaries, from the 1980's through the early 2000's. Included are some of the controversial ones that got him into trouble!
Rich Sirken
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Too much wry observation, too few moments of epiphany
Jason Roland
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it.
Sara Nur
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! This book makes you want to purchase recordings of Andy Rooney's TV show!
Adam Nedeff
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is pretty cut and dry. It's a collection of Andy Rooney's essays from "60 Minutes." So if you liked them, you'll like this book. Simple as that. I liked his essays, so I liked the book.
James
May 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biographical
Andy's little remarks from 60 Minutes.
Judee
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I did not finish. I was bored.
Dathan
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, nonfiction
It's a collection of essays from his years on "60 minutes". It's not a book you sit and read in a few sittings - but may possibly be the best bathroom reader ever.
Mathias Seiwert
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am looking to chuckle at the absurdity of modern, suburban, American life. Thanks Andy! (But boy, you do seem like a cranky guy in your writings!).
Ted Wight
Apr 09, 2009
Nichole Burkhardt
Aug 24, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Andrew Aitken "Andy" Rooney was an American radio and television writer. He became most famous as a humorist and commentator with his weekly broadcast A Few Minutes With Andy Rooney, a part of the CBS news program 60 Minutes from 1978 to 2011.
More about Andy Rooney