Start by marking “Poison Town (The Crittendon Files #2)” as Want to Read:
Poison Town (The Crittendon Files #2)

Poison Town (The Crittendon Files #2)

There’s More Than One Kind of Poison in This Town

People are sick and dying. Rumors are swirling. Some claim chemicals leaking from a manufacturing plant are causing the cancer that’s crippling people on the poor side of Trenton City, Ohio. Yet nothing at the plant appears amiss. The problem remains a mystery until reporter Jack Crittendon’s long-time mechanic falls ill an
Published February 1st 2014 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about Poison Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poison Town

June
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title is so apt. The author shows the effects of a poison in this small Ohio City. The linchpin of this story is the physical poison affecting the poorer portion of a community. There is a nearby factory and the residents have been experiencing similar symptoms of dizziness, difficulties in breathing, fatigue and higher levels of lymphoma. But there are other poison affecting the lives of the Critterdon family and friends.

This was a fast paced read at times and the tension was well written.
Rebekah Tooley
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a great book, filled with such real emotion and feeling. Jacks struggles were very real and I could not fault him for it. Pam was a great aid to Jack and was very sweet and loving yet giving him tough love when he needed it.
C.B. Cook
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
I really enjoyed this book!!! My dad was reading it out loud to me, so we only read one or two chapters a night... WHICH NEARLY KILLED ME. I can definitely feel the stakes upping the farther into the series we get.
Shari Hamble
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is sooooo good! I had to choose when I would I would pick the book up because I'd have a hard time putting it down! And at the end i was riveted to my chair! And Pam even tho fearful keeps going on. And in her continued courage she helps her mom find strength and Jack to realize his need to forgive. But WOW the getting there! You don't want to miss this!
Nora St Laurent
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’m thankful for the review copy that allowed me to read the sequel to Fear Has a Name. I was quickly pulled into this story through the believable, quirky and endearing cast of characters and their deadly situation!

One of my favorite characters is Travis Randall, he works at his family owned and operated garage. Jack, Crittendon investigative reporter for the Trenton city Dispatch drops his car off at Travis’ shop for repairs.

Jack asks him about Demler-Vargus Corporation, the company his mom an
Amie's Book Reviews
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
POISON TOWN REVIEW

I was lucky enough to receive a paperback copy of POISON TOWN by Creston Mapes through the Goodreads Giveaway program.

I highly recommend entering for a chance to win copies of books that interest you at www.goodreads.com/giveaways
It is a great way to find out about new books and new authors. All that is asked of you in return is that once you complete the book, that you post a fair and honest review.

Prior to reading POISON TOWN, I had no previous knowledge of this author. Know
Tom
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't wait to read what Creston Mapes had in store for his readers in Poison Town. I must say I enjoyed every chapter of his novel. Obviously I am a fan of Creston Mapes stories. This one didn't disappoint me.

The story is one of myterious circumstances, surrounding a corporation called Demler-Vargus. People near the plant complain that the company is spewing cancer-causing pollutants in the air, land, and water.

Jack Crittendon, reporter for the local newspaper, learns his car mechanic of m
Sherri Johnson
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Poison Town by Creston Mapes is as addicting as Fear has a Name, the first book in this series about Jack Crittendon, local reporter. Yes, there's suspicion that a manufacturing plant is manufacturing an illegal product and that it's poisoning the townsfolk who live nearby. But "there's more than one kind of poison in this town!" (as it says on the back cover). I don't quite know how to put into words the type of stories Creston Mapes weaves together. From the first page, the characters are enga ...more
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-read
The extent to which you forgive others, that is the extent to which you will be forgiven. My favorite quote from this book. This is a Christian fiction novel and I enjoyed the reminder of what anger and bitterness can do to a person.

Jack Crittendon is back in Poison Town carrying around a lot of anger and unforgiveness toward the man who tried to harm his wife in the first book of this series. You see Jack and his wife struggling with his hatred and unforgiveness through out the book.

On top of
Andi
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: empty-shelf-2014
Creston Maples creates a story full of mystery and suspense. He grabs you on page one and you are hanging on for a wild ride! Jack Crittendon is a man on a mission and he won't let anyone get in his way. Watching Jack and his wife extend forgiveness beyond their human abilities reminded me of how I learned to extend forgiveness toward my former husband and his mistress. A lesson we all have to learn at some point that to the extent we forgive, that is the extent our Father will forgive us. Highl ...more
Nellie
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a real page turner. If I did not have other obligations, I would have stayed up all night to finish it!

The story continues where book 1, Fear Has A Name, ends. Granger's trial ends with a conviction. Pastor Evan meets with Granger after his release from prison. He is released back to Trenton City. Pam has been able to forgive while Jack harbours unforgiveness.

The local factory might be polluting the city. His mechanic is poisoned while in the hospital! As Jack begins to investigate
Justin
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, ebook
3.5 Very good, but compared to part one, not as enjoyable for me. Some of the corny dialog took me out of the story a bit. But the characters were so well written and enjoyable to read. It was a much different story this time, but still worth reading.
M.K. Aneal
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-need
I had a hard time getting into this book, as the writing style seemed simple, and wasn't my preferred style. There were many things I felt was written without much thought. Though, while the writing seemed bland, the story was grand, and I'm glad I didn't give up on it. The story was carefully woven, with detailed characters illustrating a terrific plot line. I was found a few times going, "No, no, no!" making those around me think I was insane (I'm the good kind of insane).

While Christian them
Jeanie
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
‘Poison Town’ by Creston Mapes is the fast-paced second novel in The Crittendon Files series. As quickly and brilliantly as lightning flashes across the sky is the intensity of this novel about the possible cover-up of cancer-causing emissions being released from a local fiberglass manufacturing plant. This plant provides much of the employment in Trenton City, Ohio. Unfortunately, there is no traceable evidence that the carcinogen resulting in sickness and death comes from the plant.
Jack Critte
Heidi Matheson
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! Exciting sequel to 'Fear Has a Name'. Fast-paced & interesting.
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Jack Crittendon has a new mission, as an investigative reporter for The Dispatch, he is turning the tables on the man he just interviewed Leonard Bendickson III, CEO of Demler-Vargas, the fiberglass manufacturer in Trenton City. Since taking the helm as CEO thirteen years ago, Bendickson has steered the Fortune 500 company to unfathomable heights. The $7.9 billion corporation has consistently surpassed Wall Streets expectations on its way to becoming one of the world's most prolific manufacturer ...more
Lisa Johnson
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Poison Town a Novel (The Crittendon Files Book #2)
Author: Creston Mapes
Pages: 368
Year: 2014
Publisher: David C. Cook
When I first started reading the novel, I wasn’t quite sure how the engaging plot slowly morphed into something entertaining nor was I prepared for the many twists and turns brought about through suspense. The major male protagonist is Jack Crittendon who is a journalist first introduced in Fear has a Name, now he about to unknowingly become involved in a major life threateni
Kathryn Svendsen
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Poison Town is the second book in the Crittendon Files series. It can be read as a stand-alone novel. Jack Crittendon is the main character. He is a journalist with the daily paper in Trenton City. A friend of his falls ill and rumors abound that the cause of the illness and the illness of many on that side of town is from the chemical emissions from the fiberglass plant on that side of town. Jack wants to do an investigative piece for the paper, but his editor is resistant. But Jack is like a d ...more
Kelly
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Hold onto your hat and watch your back! Poison Town is a story fueled with even more tension than the first novel in this series "Fear Has A Name," and THAT is saying something! Jack Crittendon is hot on the heels of a story that seems almost too bad to be true and he is dealing with a far larger problem than one or two mere men. The high profile Demler Corporation has provided jobs for decades in the city of Trenton, but at what cost?

Somehow Jack and his co-worker Derrick have a story on their
Rick
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jack Crittendon is back in the second book in the Crittendon Files. And if reading this book doesn’t whet your appetite, the third book in the series, “Sky Zone” is already out as well. Some great Summer reading is coming your way. These books are meant to be stand-alone books and the author does a good job of including history and back story to give the story a more steamlined feel. But why not just buy them all!

Fresh off of “Fear Has A Name”, Jack Crittendon is back in this new thriller. Jack
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Poison Town by Creston Mapes is a highly recommended thriller.

Set in Trenton City, Ohio, Poison Town by Creston Mapes follows reporter Jack Crittendon. Jack is married to Pam and they have two young daughters. Jack and Pam are both still recovering from Pam's kidnapping in the first book in this series, Fear Has a Name. While Pam is able to forgive her kidnapper, Granger Meade, and is slowly recovering, Jack is unable to forgive him and is sinking into anger and bitterness. Jack has also bought
Illuminating
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I pick up a novel by Creston Mapes, I know I am in for a wild joy ride; one I never want to finish.

Mapes has outdone himself with Poison Town, the second book in The Crittendon Files series. In the first book, Fear Has A Name, report Jack Crittendon faced the kidnapping of his wife by an obsessed ex-school friend of hers. In Poison Town, Jack must come to terms with the fact that the kidnapper is now out on parole, and living in the same town as them.

As Jack battles his unforgiveness a
Kc
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jack Crittendon, a Trenton City, Ohio reporter, stumbles upon the biggest story of his career when his mechanic Galen Randall becomes ill in a similar manner as his late wife. Galen believes the local fiberglass plant's spewing of toxic pollution is to blame for both of their maladies. But Demler-Vargus is a huge company with far-reaching tentacles of power. What is the truth, and does Jack stand a chance of getting that truth out?

Meanwhile, Jack struggles both inwardly and outwardly with forgiv
Tj Walker
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It will keep you up reading.

This book was riveting! So hard to put down. It was intense and so good. I highly recommend it. I could not put it down.
Betty Johnson
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exciting, can't put down book. Very well written. It shows how we as Christians react to circumstances when we feel they are out of control. The father who had been the "model" christian their whole married life, can't forgive the man that has hurt his family. Finally the unforgiven man is the man that saves the mother-in-law and his wife and two children. If you only read one series this year, this is a good one.
ChrisGA
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the second in the Crittendon Files series. It continues the story of an investigative reporter, Jack, and his wife, Pam, and their two little girls. Although it could be a stand-alone, I strongly recommend reading the first, FEAR HAS A NAME, to really appreciate the impact of Jack and Pam’s history with Evan and Granger. That history has had long-turn effects on Jack’s faith and marriage. Added to dealing with Evan and Granger reappearing in his family’s life, Jack plunges into a dangero ...more
Ashley Fontainne
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Creston Mapes crafted a story full of twists, turns, thrills and chills wrapped inside a story of faith and love.

Two years ago, Jack and Pam Crittendon experienced a monumental test of their faith when a disturbed man from Pam's past began to stalk her. Both Pam and Jack had to delve deep into their faith to deal with the fallout. While Pam learned to give her hate, anger and fear over to the Lord, Jack doesn't follow the same path once the man who nearly destroyed his world is rele
Chris
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, creston-mapes
wow! what a story! and the next one is not avail in audio :-(
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

Amy
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Poison Town played out like an action packed thriller movie in my head. This is the first book I have read by Creston Mapes and it did not disappoint. I liked getting to know Jack Crittendon and his family and friends. Jack is really struggling with forgiveness and fear since the ordeal when his wife was kidnapped. This is then causing problems in his and Pam’s marriage. While that and more are going on in his personal life, he is having car trouble and goes to his mechanics. While there he lear ...more
Becky Lewis
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The action never lets up in this exciting story of greed, unforgiveness, lust for power and the struggle between doing what's right and staying safe. Jack Crittendon is an investigative reporter in the town of Trenton City, OH. He is pursuing the story of a lifetime, as his car repairmen tell him the story of the local fiberglass plant, Demler-Vargus, that is knowingly releasing dangerous chemicals into the air that cause ill health and even death to some local residents. As Jack and his friend ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David C Cook: Poison Town by Creston Mapes Book Giveaway 1 10 Jan 29, 2014 06:48AM
David C Cook: Poison Town by Creston Mapes Galley Giveaway 1 11 Jan 06, 2014 09:25AM
Author and freelance writer Creston Mapes resides in Atlanta, Georgia.

His early years as a reporter inspire many of his novels — several of which have hit #1 in sales on Amazon, and one of which has been optioned as a motion picture.

Creston's novels include: