Start by marking “Goldfinger (James Bond, #7)” as Want to Read:
Goldfinger (James Bond, #7)

Goldfinger

(James Bond (Original Series) #7)

Auric Goldfinger is the richest man in England—though his wealth can’t be found in banks. He’s been hoarding vast stockpiles of his namesake metal, and it’s attracted the suspicion of 007’s superiors at MI6. Sent to investigate, Bond uncovers an ingenious gold-smuggling scheme, as well as Goldfinger’s most daring caper yet: Operation Grand Slam, a gold heist so audacious i ...more
Published October 16th 2012 by Thomas & Mercer (first published March 23rd 1959)

Jayson
(A-) 83% | Very Good
Notes: James Bond peels the snakeskin from the card-cheat to find a dragon in disguise, while lesbians make things difficult.
Alejandro
Reading, Good Reading!

GOOD AS GOLD

Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, the third time it’s enemy action.

This quote from the novel is quite relevant, since Goldfinger, the book, is separated in three parts precisely named after the terms: “Happenstance”, “Coincidence” and “Enemy Action”, describing the interaction between James Bond and Auric Goldfinger, respectively protagonist and antagonist in the story. Also, defining how the story in general is evolving in its own development.

Go
Carmen
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who are not easily offended
It was going to be fun playing hare and hounds across Europe. The sun was shining out of a clear sky. Bond felt a moment's sharp thrill down his spine. He smiled to himself, a hard, cold, cruel smile. Goldfinger, he thought, for the first time in your life you're in trouble - bad trouble.

Bond is drinking bourbon in the Miami airport and philosophizing about life and death. He has just neatly taken care of heroin distribution ring. You may think of Bond as a cold, hard killer – but actually in th
Richard Derus
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.8* of five

The 1964 film gets almost five stars. I doubt very seriously the book would get more than one.

So, first let's talk about the song. *swoon* If you don't like the song, don't ever tell me. I will unfriend you and make a voodoo dolly to do awful, awful things to you. Ever read The Wasp Factory? Yeah, that'll sound like Sunday school. K? Clear enough? Good.

Then there's Connery beefcakin' around in a skimpy swimsuit. There's a passel of cool cars, including the iconic Aston Martin
Lyn
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good ole fashioned penis measuring contest between Bond and his villain de jeur, Aurich Goldfinger.

Ever the conjurer of DC comics quality bad guys, Ian Fleming has here crafted a gem with Goldfinger – a Ted Nugent capitalist’s capitalist who lives to win at everything. And if you’re not cheating, you’re not trying. And we get a double helping of MALEVOLENT as his odd job man – Oddjob – is a Nietzschean superman Asian Mike Tyson action hero figure of badassery.

Good sports writing is an under ap
Darwin8u
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, british, espionage
"Fear, Mr Bond, takes gold out of circulation and hoards it against the evil day."
- Ian Fleming, Goldfinger

description

A very enjoyable read except for a couple nagging complaints. I hate Fleming/Bond's attitude towards asians (Koreans in this book, but it was Chinese in Dr. No) and women (lesbians in this book). It doesn't age well. While I wasn't alive in the 50s, and I suspect it was more normal 60 years ago, it still reads a bit too heavy with white, masculine overcompensation.

I would have given this o
David Schaafsma
“The glamour isn’t worth the price”—Ales Kot

Well, I think I am just about done reading Ian Fleming’s stories of Agent oo7, James Bond, thank you very much. This is in spite of my being a completist; I set out to read the series and read them all I usually would do. But I think I sort of have the pattern here: Bond meets a villain, meets a “girl” and defeats the villain. You do what you can to ignore the (casual?) racism and misogyny in exchange for the glamour, and well, the best of James.

This o
BrokenTune
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"Casually, one hand reached out to the control panel and pressed down a switch. There came a slow metallic growl from the end of the table on which Bond lay. It curved quickly up to a harsh whine and then to a shrill high whistle that was barely audible. Bond turned his head wearily away. How soon could he manage to die?"

I've been trying to write up a review for Goldfinger - probably the most famous of the Bond adventures - for a couple of days now. Well, since this was a re-read, I guess you co
Robert
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
The movie has got to be better than this shit. Yes, I shall procure a copy for myself, and watch it all the way through. I must confess I have only seen parts of this cinematic Sean Connery classic, and the parts I have seen did offer up a slight sense of endearment for yours truly. But my attention span waned, and my movie prowess faltered, and I must confess I sometimes have the attention span of a fruit fly. But I shall push through, much as I did with this piece of male chauvinistic trash.

Th
Wanda

***2018 Summer of Spies***

I spent part of the Labour Day weekend finishing up my Summer of Spies and finishing up Goldfinger. I’ve had fun with earlier installments of Bond, but found this book a bit of a grind. It started, Goddess aid me, with card games yet again and then continued on with one of the only subjects that I consider more boring than cards, golf! There was much eye rolling and boredom on my part, but I realize that these subjects excite other people, and certainly were
Manny
We watched Goldfinger last night on DVD - I'd seen it once before, around 1975, but I could hardly remember a thing about it. Really quite interesting! Some reactions:

The women

OMG. There are some scenes one could hardly believe. This was our favourite. Felix Leiter, Bond's opposite number from the CIA, turns up in Miami, where Bond is lounging by a swimming pool, having his shoulders massaged by an opulent blonde. They have the following exchange (from memory):

Leiter: Ah, Bond, I thought I'd fin
El
Goldfinger, movie trailer.

Oh, Bond. What are you up to now?

Lessee... "Mr Bond, they have a saying in Chicago: 'Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action.' Miami, Sandwich and now Geneva." - Auric Goldfinger

The book is broken up into these three sections detailing Bond's three interactions with Auric Goldfinger, a nasty sort of fellow who cheats at canasta and smuggles gold. This is the first of the Bond books I've read that takes place primarily in America (yee
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
1.Plot – Plot? Okay, it’s James Bond. Who doesn’t know the plot? Megalomaniac wants to rule the world. James Bond Kicks his ass, then gets laid at least twice.

Oh, all right, he played golf too.

I guess I just mean to say, this is an old book, that became an old movie. There were no surprises in the plot. Sean Connery’s Bond fits very well with Ian Fleming’s book.

Bond, on his way back to England after tracking down drug dealers in Mexico gets delayed at the airport. While there, he accepts a pr
Leslie
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: action, mystery, spy
Goldfinger,
he's the man,
the man with the Midas touch
A spider's touch
Such a cold finger
beckons you to enter his web of sin
But don't go in
- Leslie Bricusse & Anthony Newley

I was really excited to read this book. Goldfinger was the first James Bond movie I ever saw so I have a special place in my heart for it. The screenplay was written by Richard Maibaum (dec.) and Paul Dehn (dec.) and how they turned this book into that movie is worthy of accolades and rewards. Posthumous awards

Standard
Mike
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7th in the 007 canon, it finds Bond meeting an acquaintance in an airport. Mr DuPont says he's lost several thousand to a Mr Goldfinger in cards, and would Bond like to sit in and tell him how he's doing it?

Thus begins the adventure from London to Ft. Knox, involving 6 different crime syndicates in the plan to steal billions in gold.

Almost 60 years after it was written, it's interesting to see the society structure and politically incorrect status of Mr Fleming's world.
Emma
Nov 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Running on fond memories of watching the Bond films in my childhood, I was recently inspired to pick this up. I wish I hadn't bothered. See, it wasn't the I didn't expect the sexism and the racism...ok I probably didn't expect the homophobia...but I didn't expect it to be so blatant! I expected useless women who's only function to the plot was to fall into Bond's arms or die, to be honest I'm used to it. I didn't expect a diatribe blaming homosexuality on women getting the vote. I didn't expect ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy-fi
I was torn again here. 3 or 4? This novel has it's almost silly moments but mostly it's far more "adult" in it's themes. It's more violent, and the sex is a little more "there" than the ones that went before. While there isn't any real overt sex in the bond books despite their rep, the theme in this one ups the stakes a bit. (view spoiler) ...more
Jerome
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very rarely does a film improve upon the source novel. The novel is too long, is illogical in some parts, offensive in others and makes the reader realize what a superb job screenwriter Richard Maibaum did in adapting it for the film. These weaknesses stand out in particular:

First, the behavior of villain Auric Goldfinger is completely illogical during the torture scene. You might remember the terrific laser beam scene in the film where Goldfinger, played by Gert Frobe, threatens to slice James
Ryan
Mar 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite having seen many of the films, this was my first exposure to one of Ian Fleming's Bond novels. The plot, basically, involves Bond having to stop the dastardly Auric Goldfinger from stealing all of the bullion in Fort Knox and using the money to finance anti-American spy interests. [return]The book is an amazing document of its time - in addition to the Red Menace of Communist influence over Western politics, there are also discussions of the inherent genetic cruelty of Korean people, and ...more
Anthony Nesbitt
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even for Fleming? This was outrageous. Blowfeld's attempt to use a nuclear device to blow open the doors of Fort Knox and then steal the gold? No wonder Maibaum and Dehn had to come up with their own plot for the adaptation. That said, you wouldn't mistake Fleming's literary DNA for anyone elses. And is as atmospheric of fifties London, namely, class, snobbery, casinos, and five pound tarts, as any novel in his franchise before it. Which is to say, Impressive.
Stacy Bearse
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It's been 50 years since I first read this novel. I recently stumbled upon a leather-bound set of all the James Bond books, and am slowly working my way through them again. Re-reading Ian Fleming reminded me of his consummate skill as a wordsmith and storyteller. Sure, some specifics are off (you cannot see the Gulf from the Miami Airport) but in general, Fleming's writing crackles with details and color. Read these books for entertainment. And read them to remember a simpler time, when Don Drap ...more
Donna
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
This is my second James Bond book and I liked this one as well. The James Bond in these books though, don't feel like the same James Bond on the silver screen. But that is okay with me....I still really enjoy these books. There was even a scene where James is playing golf with Goldfinger and as much as I dislike golf, I was riveted to that scene. Reading this makes me want to look up the movie.

These are fun. I want to add more to my reading list.
F.R.
Jul 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben Schott's introduction to my edition tells of the muted critical reception this book received. Indeed it was the novel that prompted Paul Johnson's famous description: "Sex, Snobbery and Sadism". But to be honest, I don't think the three S's are more priminent in this book than in the previous adventures of J. Bond esq. In fact I greeted them like old and welcome friends. What bothered me about this book is just how ridiculous it is.

It's said the film adapatation of Goldfinger was the movie t
steven
Feb 24, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly, probably the worst Bond book I've read thus far.

The overarching plot is good -- evil overlord joins forces with criminals all over the United States to rob Fort Knox in a daring plan that only Bond can foil. The trouble is the middle.

To establish that the evil overlord is, well, evil, there's a long section (two chapters? three? seventeen billion?) of Bond and the antagonist playing golf. In excruciating detail, we are forced to watch the two traverse all eighteen holes, in which Bond mus
Lelah
Jul 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice

After having read, and enjoyed, Casino Royale I was looking forward to Goldfinger. I am very disappointed that it didn't live up to the promise of CR. I now know way too many things about golf. I found Gf for the most part boring and the ending didn't help me respect either the writer or the character any more. In fact it left a distinctly poor taste in my mouth. It was, to my mind, worse than the typical Bond mentality.

Another blah read for me. I will try Fleming/Bond again though. Be
Chris Gager
Back in the mid sixties I went to see "Goldfinger" and was so taken with the Fleming/Bond thing that I went out and read every single book then available. This one was a bit different as I recall. The lesbian thing was more up front for one thing(than in the movie)and that gave it a different flavor. As I recall Fleming wasn't all that enthralled with Sean Connery's "interpretation" of Bond. Too crude. Not enough of an English gentleman/spy assassin. Date read is a guess.

David
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I’ve only read three Ian Fleming’s James Bond books prior to this one, but damn, was this a thrill ride! An incredibly racist, mysogynistic thrill ride, but a thrill ride nonetheless! (1959 wasn’t a terribly enlightened time).
James
Auric Goldfinger, Pussy Galore and James Bond. They're all here for another romp as Bond tries to derail SMERSH again.
  • Death Is Forever (John Gardner's Bond, #12)
  • Never Dream of Dying (Raymond Benson's Bond, #5)
  • Octopussy
  • James Bond: The Authorized Biography of 007

Ian Lancaster Fleming was a British author, journalist and Second World War Navy Commander. He was a grandson of the Scottish financier Robert Fleming, who founded the Scottish American Investment Trust and the merchant bank Robert Fleming & Co.

Fleming is best remembered for creating the character of James

James Bond (Original Series) (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
  • Diamonds Are Forever (James Bond, #4)
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • Doctor No (James Bond, #6)
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
“I am a poet in deeds--not often in words.” 892 likes
“Mr Bond, they have a saying in Chicago: 'Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action'.” 183 likes