Start by marking “Paul Meets Bernadette” as Want to Read:
Paul Meets Bernadette

Paul Meets Bernadette

Visual humor sweetens an artful tale about a fish who suddenly sees everything a new way — thanks to a charismatic companion.

Published December 10th 2013 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Paul Meets Bernadette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul Meets Bernadette

Start your review of Paul Meets Bernadette
Caroline
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this sweet, unusual story. The oil-paint illustrations really make it!
Abigail
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books About Perspective / Anyone Who Appreciates Beautiful Illustrations
Shelves: picture-books
Paul was a goldfish who swam in circles. What else was there for him to do, as the sole resident of such a small bowl? Then one day he met another goldfish, Bernadette, who pointed out all of the fascinating things around them, showing him "the world." As he begins to truly look at the things around his bowl, Paul's horizons expand, as does his heart. Soon he is swimming around and around again, this time circling Bernadette...

A debut from author/illustrator Rosy Lamb, Paul Meets Bernadette is a
Becky
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Paul swims around and around all day until Bernadette drops in and shows him the world, although her ability to correctly name things in the world is lacking.

I don't think young children will really "get it," but they will enjoy Bernadette's misnaming common everyday objects.
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I think it's time for a new adage to go alongside don't judge a book by its cover:

Don't judge a children's book without a child.

I picked this up for the library because it was the only one of the five nominees for the California Young Reader's Medal that we didn't already own. I read it. I liked it. But I wondered how it possibly came to be nominated for that award, which is for books that are requested time and again by children. (As my students are delighted to learn, what an adult thinks
Jeremy West
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Paul is a lonely goldfish living his life in a bubble. Literally. He's so entranced in his daily routine of swimming around, up, and down, that he never looks outside his bowl. That is until the day Bernadette arrives. She opens his eyes to the world around him in a hilarious way that only goldfish can understand the outside world. To her, a teapot is an elephant, a newspaper is a lady's dress, and more that will make you laugh out loud. After noticing everything around them, Paul truly notices ...more
Cheryl
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-enjoy-again
I love the small format compared to the sea of presumptuous oversize picturebooks... this is more like the size of an old primer. The art is lovely, looks even better irl than on youtube. The main message is actually, I believe, rather simple... a new friend is someone who opens your eyes to new visions, new experiences... and of course I value that!
Erin (work)
I think it's an interesting book. The brush work really reflects movement, time, fluid, swoosh--great match of form & subject. That said, I didn't like the paint was used in some sections--the flowers were so clumpy that it is almost painful for me to look at that page. I don't think it's text is any more clever or outstanding than lots of other children's 'mistaken naming' books--and Paul's love for Bernadette feels very adult-romantic.

I don't think it should be on the ACL distinguished
A Leisure Moment
description

Paul Meets Bernadette Paul Meets Bernadette is a beautifully illustrated book about a fish named Paul who spends his days swimming in circles alone until the day Bernadette drops into his bowl.

To read the rest of the review, simply follow the link: http://www.aleisuremoment.com/2014/04...
Donna
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is gorgeous! The painting are lovely. The story is wonderful. I'm pretty sure my next two golfish will be called Paul and Bernadette, along with a lot of other goldfish who will be purchased after reading this book.
Nancy
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love! Love! Love this book!
Rachel
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sweet tale perfectly suited for Valentine’s Day storytimes or explanations of love, Paul’s life is forever changed when Bernadette is added to his fishbowl. He simply swam in circles until she appeared and showed him the wonders outside their world (uhm..bowl). In comical set-ups that will have children guessing and correcting, Bernadette identifies items like a clock as a cactus or a teapot as an elephant. But much like love, is it wrong if that’s how you see the world? Beauty shines ...more
Brigitte Brulz
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the fact that this little fish doesn't notice anything around him until a new friend arrives and shows him "the world". Just like kids may not realize there is a bigger world out there beyond their own little world. I really liked the "elephant feeding her babies" and the various other interesting items that Bernadette tells Paul about (even if they are not accurate). I was a little disappointed with the ending, but overall, I thought it was a cute book.
Indy
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
An artsy story book with beautiful paintings as illustration. Paul is a fish living inside a fish tank. He lives his life rather aimlessly every day swimming in all directions, until a new fish, Bernadette, joins him in the fish tank. Bernadette opens Paul's world by encouraging him to take a look outside the fish tank, and let their imagination run wild. A sweet little story that foster kids to be creative and imaginative whilst paying more attention to the surrounding.
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Imagination, goldfish, oil paintings, romance, breakfast.

I like the simple illustrations. So much is conveyed within the curves and reflections. We don't always realize what we are missing until we have someone to show us a new perspective. Life gets more complex and exciting.
Kate Nichter
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Paul Meets Bernadette is a fun way to teach kids new language that is basic but important such as up, down, bottom, top, right, left. The children can have fun going along with the motions in the book. The illustrations have a texture of paint brush strokes.
Erika
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Pretty and adorable!
Casey
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book makes you think in new perspectives. I think how a child looks at the world sometimes- with curiosity and big stories to compliment what they see. I enjoyed the illustrations as well.
Phoenix
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because two fish played together and fell in love. ...more
Francesca
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was very very cute.
Sarah Daniluk
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely artwork and a brilliant new way to look at the world.
Kelly
Paul is a fish who simply swims in a continuous circle. Until he meets Bernadette, who teaches him to look outside his world. But her world is a little weird.
Wilde Sky
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A goldfish has his horizons expanded when a new goldfish is pit into his bowl.

I thought this was a sweet / clever illustrated short story.

Reading time around fifteen minutes.
Gervy
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't like a good goldfish joke?
Penny McGill
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you are one of those people who buys picture books for your partner to demonstrate your love for them, then this is the book for you. If you are one of those people who buys picture books because the artwork is so exquisite, then this is the book for you. If you are one of those people who still buys picture books for your children (even though they are 'too old') because picture books allow you to remember how wonderful it is to be the age when images and text make magic happen, then this is ...more
Tasha
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Paul is a fish who just circles his bowl, over and over again in different patterns. But his life changes when Bernadette joins him in his bowl. She shows him the world beyond his bowl. They can see boats, forests filled with colorful trees, a cactus, and even an elephant with babies. Of course, what they are thinking they see isn’t really what is there. The objects are far more mundane: bananas, flowers, a clock and a teapot and cups. Paul’s entire world expanded and made room for the outside ...more
Cathy
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cathy by: California young Reader nominee

Paul is a fish who used to go around in circles. He made big circles and little circles. He circled from left to right and from right to left. He circled from top to bottom and from bottom to top. What else was there to do? Until one day Bernadette drops in and shows Paul that there is a whole world out there, right outside his bowl, with so many things to see. A
Andrea
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Lamb, Rosy. Paul Meets Bernadette. Candlewick, 2013.

Paul the goldfish meets a new friend named Bernadette. At first Paul spends his days by himself swimming in circles inside the fishbowl. When Bernadette comes along, she helps Paul see more than just the inside of the fishbowl. Together they discover many items like two fried eggs they call the sun and the moon, and a banana on a table that they call a yellow boat. The silly interpretations from the two goldfish will captivate participation
Inma
Feb 13, 2014 added it
Bernadette brings Paul the gift of curiosity and adventure, of looking at things from a different perspective, and the desire to venture out of his little world. Paul, our little gold fish, has spent all his life happily content just swimming in circles until Bernadette shows up. Bernadette prompts Paul to look at the things around him with new eyes. What might seem like an ordinary vase fill with flowers turn to be a forest with trees of every color, a blue teapot is an elephant that you must ...more
Cyndi
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended and when I read it I didn't think my preschoolers would really get it and they may not have understood everything but they LOVED it and wanted it read again. My granddaughter is in the process of memorizing the words and her older brother thought it was cute. It is a sweet love story that could be purchased for an adult also, weird!

Paul swims around in his fish bowl and makes big circles, small circles, swims from left to right and right to left until Bernadette is
Dione Basseri
A book about perspectives. Paul and Bernadette are fish, and while Paul has spent his entire life content to swim his little circles, Bernadette wants to know about the world outside. She shows Paul various objects throughout the room where their bowl is located, misidentifying every one, but taking Paul on a nice little fantasy of what their world might be.

This is well-suited for a bedtime story. It's slow and soothing, and would work as a prompt for their own imagination. Just so long as they
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Cat From Hunger Mountain
  • Cuddly Dudley
  • Alphabet Under Construction
  • Rocket's Very Fine Day
Rosy Lamb is a painter and sculptor. She lives in a studio with tall windows on a quiet street in Paris. Paul Meets Bernadette is her first children’s book. She painted the pictures for this book while her baby daughter slept by her side.