Start by marking “Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)” as Want to Read:
Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)

Burn Out (Burn Out #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  1,012 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
Most people want to save the world; seventeen-year-old Tora Reynolds just wants to get the hell off of it. One of the last survivors in Earth's final years, Tora yearns to escape the wasteland her planet has become after the sun turns "red giant," but discovers her fellow survivors are even deadlier than the hostile environment.

Holed up in an underground shelter, Tora is a
Published April 8th 2014 by EgmontUSA

Khanh (the meanie)
Warning: Long science-related rage rant ahead >_<
Putting my trust in James would make me just as dumb. I couldn’t let him get to me no matter how amazing his abs were. Still, that sadness in his eyes—
Look, you fucking moron, a serial killer could have a sad look in his eyes right before he kills you and mounts you. Hopefully mounting in the taxidermy sense and not the sexual sense, but whatever.

I had hoped that a YA sci-fi written by someone with a Ph.D would make sense. I was tragically
Kristi Helvig
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Of course I'm being totally unbiased about my debut novel! ;)
Lindsay Cummings
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My Initial Reaction: Holy Crap.

This book is SO good, you guys. I'm a major fan of scifi, and always have been. But reading scifi books really started a few years ago, when I picked up ACROSS THE UNIVERSE by Beth Revis. I devoured those books, and when I was done, I was pretty disappointed to find out that there just wasn't a ton of recent YA like it.

I wanted actual SPACE stuff. Spaceships. Weapons. Aliens. Crazy stuff like that.
That hunger was sated when I watched all of FIREFLY in a course of
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
I received Strange Skies (the sequel to Burn Out) on Netgalley and thought that I should get my hands on this book and give it a go before trying instead of starting with the sequel. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this book. I had never heard of it before and since it was so little I didn't expect much out of it. Oh boy, Burn Out should be talked about more. Tora is badass and the plot had a lot of twists and turns that left me wanting more. It's fast-paced, action-packed, and he ...more
Sara Raasch
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: valentines
Got to read an ARC of BURN OUT through the Valentines, and WOW. I sped through this beauty in less than 24 hours. Lightning-paced, intensity at every turn, and not to mention a gritty, no-nonsense heroine that is at once lovable and deadly. Kristi manages to breathe life and vivacity into a stark, deserted world through characters that grab onto your heart and don't let go!
Gisbelle
description
Provided by the publisher via NetGalley

Actual Rating: 4.5

One of the most thrilling and unpredictable post-apocalyptic fictions I have ever read. Each scene was so crazy good that it was hard to put down once I started reading this astoundingly well-written book. It was full of suspense and actions I don't know where to start with. A must read for any science fiction fans out there, especially those who love post-apocalyptic fictions.

I was completely in love with the characters because they were
A. Rolland
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’m so fortunate to have this ARC in my grubby little hands right now. I’m now scolding myself for reading Burn Out so quickly because 1. I was late for work b/c I couldn’t stop reading, and 2. Unfortunately, it’s over.

I grew up on a steady diet of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so I’m all about a kickass heroine with weapons training and a snarky mouth. The beginning reminded me of a futuristic version of the movie Hanna. But of course, Tora has her flaws, her fears, and her fallacies, and that’s wh
Paula Stokes
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read Jen McConnel's comment about Han Solo before I started this, and consequently I read all of Tora's inner thoughts in a gruff Harrison Ford voice. Which actually worked. And was especially funny when it came to her lethal right boob. Alas, her boob does not shoot lasers.

But despite that, I really enjoyed this book :) If you like feisty tough girls who don't take any crap from guys, you will looooove Tora. The story also manages to feel very action-packed, even though for large portions of
Lynne Matson
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
BURN OUT is a fantastic sci-fi thriller. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. Packed with action and suspense--and a kick-butt premise! Hello, burned-out sun and last girl on Earth!--and characters that keep you guessing whose side they're truly on until the end, BURN OUT will keep you turning the pages late into the night. Totally satisfying…yet BURN OUT leaves you wanting more. AS IN YOU'LL WANT THE SEQUEL RIGHT NOW.:) *sits on hands to avoid spoilers*

An awesome 2014 debut!!!!
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
That was pretty damned awesome! Can't wait for book 2! Tora is badass and I can't tell if I love James or hate him lol
Dark Faerie Tales
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This novel was enjoyable, with slight problems, but it left me wanting the sequel after a sudden twist. It’s a dark setting, but the main character’s witty, spitfire personality lightened the mood.

Opening Sentence: Six months and counting, yet not a whisper of a fellow human to be found.

The Review:

Meet Tora: living alone, possibly the last survivor on the planet Earth. Her family is dead. The sun is turning red giant years before scheduled a
Farrah
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thrilling, action-paced, romantic, and full of secrets and betrayals, Burn Out was a fantastic YA read. I really liked this wonderful book. From the characters, to the unpredictable story, this book was amazing.

The world building was well done in this book. The whole scenario of the sun expanding ahead of schedule due to a human mistake, burning the Earth to a crisp, was well thought out, as well as the human reaction to such a catastrophe. There could have been a bit more description about the
Kelsey Ketch
For me, Burn Out has to be the best read of 2013, and I highly believe it will be the best debut novel of 2014 as well. It’s action-packed, mixed with the right amount of romance. And the suspense kept me reading from page one.

If you are a fan of science fiction such as Firefly, you’re going to love the plot and characters of this novel. It’s just as diverse and adventurous, yet completely unique in its own way. I never knew who to trust or who to side with. Like the main character, Tora, I basi
Marissa DeCuir
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oooooobbbssseesssseddd!!!! Seriously love this book and want to see it on the big screen. This is a brilliant, thrilling story that definitely had me surprised a few times in the book. Usually you start to have a feeling about what's going to happen, but here, I really was surprised and that is so exciting as a reader!

I love the main character - she's definitely a bad ass and if I were left on earth after the sun burned out, I'd want to be in her bunker.

The overall plot of the sun burning out an
Tara
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, arc
Whoa--this book is, like, the definition of "page-turner." I could hardly put it down! Ms. Helvig is a master of ending chapters in just the right spots, on just the right notes, that make it pretty much essential that you dive right into the next one.

What's more, this book has an awesome concept (the sun is burning out WAY sooner than anticipated), a spunky, snarky heroine in Tora, and a cast of supporting characters for whom your trust is always shifting. Some very cool futuristic settings, to
Araseli
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book definitely it was entertaining. I love the main character so witty and a fighter. It's not that long so one can finish it in a couple of sittings and wanting more by the end of the book. Fast pace sci-fi and some action; glad I gave it a try. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Louisa
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book, Tora was such a great fantastic, sarcastic charter! And funny story, I thought that this book was double it's length-because the ARC I had 2 copies of the book in it! So ending around 250-ish, instead of 530, was something! Can't wait to read Strange Skies next week!
Jen McConnel
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh, wow. I LOVE this book. Tora is a gritty heroine who reminds me of a female Han Solo (which is incredible), and her story is filled with twists and turns that will keep you guessing. Fans of sci fi and strong characters, rejoice!
Praiz Sophyronja
This book made me so freaking thirsty, literally.
Shelley
**I received this book for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Science Fiction
*Rating* 3.0

*My Thoughts*

I am extremely confused after finishing Burn Out and I hate being confused. So, let me explain why. I requested and downloaded this copy via NetGalley to my Kindle and finally get a chance to actually sit down and read it. First there is the whole "A futuristic blend of Beth Revis's Across the Un
Megan Mills
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Burn Out was handed to me with the comment that it was a fun read. Fun it was, but also addictive and page-turning. The young adult, post-apocalyptic novel takes place years in the future, when the sun has expanded and grown closer to Earth faster than anyone had calculated. As a result, the world turned desert and water turned most precious commodity. Society’s richest were able to move to pod cities to help combat the sun’s deadly rays, while the poorest were the first to die, having to fend f ...more
Pamela
Feb 21, 2014 marked it as dnf
I don't even have the heart to tag this as anything else. It's instalove, pure and simple. I understand (and have experienced, shockingly enough) the sensation of seeing/meeting someone and being attracted to them. It might not just be the way they look, but the way they talk, the way they smile, their jokes ... it's a plausible concept. People get crushes all the time. As the wise dad in Sixteen Candles said, "That's why they call them crushes. If they were easy, they'd call 'em something else. ...more
Saoirse
DNF @ 34%

Burn Out started out great. It had this intense sci-fi feel to it that really brings out the color in the book. The concept was also nice, adding the originality to a plus bonus. I actually like how it was going, how adventurous this could lead but 10% in and the MC, Tora, started to sound all bitchy, annoying and plainly dumb. Clearly. I can't stand how she manages to survive in that shit-hole when she's got nothing but a dung beetle inside her head. I swear that the moment that she re
Sophi Frost
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To sum up how I felt about this book, I can only say - where's the sequel, Kristi?
I am very impressed with the world that Kristi Helvig built, and all the devices that were required to maintain life. I fell in love with Tora's backstory, and personally a well built back story truly is the core of a book. I felt like I knew her family and admired her father and his attempt to prevent his inventions from falling into the wrong hands.
The character development was amazing. Tora is kick butt and vu
Kristen Lippert-Martin
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As suspected, this book was awesome. Shifting alliances and desperate circumstances make for an unpredictable, harrowing adventure. Mystery, hidden family secrets, overwhelming odds! This story has got it all. Tora doesn't know who to trust and at the end of this book, I don't know either but I have to find out!

Book 2, I am Edward and you are my Bella. I'm watching you sleep.
AlbertaJenn
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
As a bookseller, I was lucky enough to receive an ARC from the publisher.

If you loved the Hunger Games, add this book to your To-Read list! This series is going to be HOT!

l loved Tora, the main character; she is smart and sarcastic. Although she faces insurmountable odds, she does so with great bravery.
Alyssa
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-releases
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Burn Out by Kristi Helvig
Book One of an untitled series
Publisher: Egmont
Publication Date: April 8, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

A futuristic blend of Beth Revis's Across the Universe and Lenore Appelhans's Level 2, Burn Out will satisfy the growing desire for science fiction with a thrilling story of survival, intrigue, and adventure.

Most people want to save the world; seventeen-year-old Tora Reynold
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
If I could give this zero stars I would! I truly felt like this book was a total waste of my time and I've read some pretty bad books...

Tora was a major problem for me. She was majorly stupid and made stupid choices. #1 - If someone knocks and you suspect they are up to no good...DON'T OPEN THE DOOR! And definitely don't leave safety!! #2 - Don't tell enemies and people you don't trust valuable information!! If you have to - LIE!! This is about weighing your choices and choosing the less horribl
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

3.5 - 3.75 Stars

Okay, let me start by saying BURN OUT was NOTHING like I thought it was going to be at all! But I still really enjoyed it, a lot! I went into BURN OUT thinking it was going to be something totally different then what it was. But I was pleasantly surprised that even though it wasn't what I excepted it to be, it was still pretty terrific!

That being said, I still did have a couple issues with BURN OUT. The first issue was that they're was a lot going on and a ton of secrets being
Krutula
Most people want to save the world; seventeen-year-old Tora Reynolds just wants to get the hell off of it. One of the last survivors in Earth's final years, Tora yearns to escape the wasteland her planet has become after the sun turns "red giant," but discovers her fellow survivors are even more deadly than the hostile environment.

Holed up in an underground shelter, Tora is alone--her brilliant scientist father murdered, her mother and sister burned to death. She dreams of living on a planet wit
YA Buddy Readers'...: Burn Out by Kristi Helvig Start 4/22/14 8 24 Apr 22, 2014 07:08AM
  • Dark Days
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
  • Scan (Scan, #1)
  • Tin Star (Tin Star, #1)
  • Talker 25 (Talker 25, #1)
  • Zenn Scarlett (Zenn Scarlett, #1)
  • The Wicked We Have Done (Chaos Theory, #1)
  • Ask Me
  • End Times
  • The Aftermath (Aftermath #1)
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
  • Survival Colony  Nine
  • The Memory Keepers
  • Sing Sweet Nightingale (The Dream War Saga, #1)
  • Salvage
  • Take Back the Skies (Tellus, #1)
  • Expiration Day
Kristi Helvig is a Ph.D. clinical psychologist turned sci-fi/fantasy author. She muses about Star Trek, space monkeys, and other assorted topics on her blog. Kristi resides in sunny Colorado with her hubby, two kiddos, and behaviorally-challenged dogs.
More about Kristi Helvig...

Burn Out (2 books)
  • Strange Skies (Burn Out, #2)