Start by marking “Beara: Dark Legends (Beara Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beara: Dark Legends (Beara Trilogy, #1)

Read Excerpt

Beara: Dark Legends (Beara Trilogy, #1)

Beara: Dark Legends

Nobody knows much about reclusive historian Muiris (Mos) O’Súilleabháin except that he doesn’t share his secrets freely.
Mos, however, has a “sixth sense for history, a unique talent for finding lost things”.
Lured from seclusion, despite his own misgivings, Mos is hired to locate the final resting place of legendary Irish hero, Fionn mac Cumhaill. Confr
ebook, 1, 388 pages
Published February 10th 2014 by Irish Imbas Books (first published January 26th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Beara, please sign up.
Brian O'Sullivan Sorry, John. Took me almost a year to answer your question. Probably not for another 2-3 years as I'm under a bit of pressure to finish the Liath Luac…moreSorry, John. Took me almost a year to answer your question. Probably not for another 2-3 years as I'm under a bit of pressure to finish the Liath Luachra and Fionn mac Cumhail series.(less)

Start your review of Beara: Dark Legends (Beara Trilogy, #1)
Fi
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book

I loved this book. I love that you can visualise the wild landscape the minute the author writes about it, there’s no effort required. There’s one part where he describes how the child picks up the crayon and sniffs it. That really made me smile as I thought of my daughters doing the very same thing. The story itself was really enjoyable; a mystery with a difference. I would love to be able to read the next two. When ever you’re ready there Mr. O’Sullivan!!
Annie Myers
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really did like this book. There were some elements I liked better than others...the character development, especially in the segments that took place in the 1960s, the references to Irish legends, etc. I'm not a big fan of action or violence or whatever you want to call it, but I guess without it, there wouldn't have been much of a story. I'm still trying to figure out Mos' story...maybe in the next book of the trilogy?
Braon Beag
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book late last night and I have to admit it's probably the most original Irish thriller cum historical novel cum mystery novel I've read in years. As an Irish American with a love of Irish mythology, I must admit I'm somewhat biased in terms of the subject matter but this book is still a worthy read for those without my particular interests.

The story concerns a reclusive Irish historian called Mos O'Suilleabhain (or, O'Sullivan, although the character in question would proba
Shari ODonnell
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-books, favorites
This is a really engaging, fast paced, well written story with elements of mystery, mythology and horror. I could not put it down- highly recommended. It looks like this was originally going to be a trilogy and I’m bummed that the author doesn’t seem to have pursued the sequels. I certainly would look up his other books.
Jonathan O’Mara
Beara: Dark Legends... by Brian O'Sullivan
Book One of a Trilogy
Every once in a long while, there comes a book that is totally absorbing, from start to finish, one of those books that you don't want to end. “Beara: Dark Legends” by Brian O'Sullivan, is just such a book. Ireland has always punched well above her weight for her relatively tiny population, particularly in literature, and this novel is no exception. The author, a native of Cork, Ireland, but presently residing in Wellington, New Zeal
Patrick O'connor
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable read. The main character, Muiris O’Suilleabhain, is a mixture of scholar, recluse, mystic, and street-wise battler with a tendency to settle disputes with his fists. The line-up of other characters includes a shadowy love interest, a kindly bachelor uncle, a faded academic rival, a trusted friend with computer skills, and an unsavoury collection of antiquarian-seeking baddies.
There is an underlying sense of two layers of reality, accentuated by frequent use of Gaelic, a language of
Morgan
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dark Legends tells two stories, both set in West Cork, Ireland, alternating between 1968 and 2008. It is a thriller, with Irish history, folklore, language and humour woven throughout. The author's passion for these topics is obvious and enriches the story beyond measure.

I enjoyed the 1968 storyline especially; the evolving relationship between Diarmuid and his unexpected ward is moving and beautifully written, the mystery they face engrossing and genuinely chilling. If Dark Legends consisted o
Andrea
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've never been to Ireland, but felt transported by this book, which clearly portrayed the feeling of another land. I read the book slowly, as it was so beautifully written I wanted to absorb each word, in spite of an intriguing plot which made me want to rush on and find out what happened!

The book is written in two alternating time periods, the simplicity and mysticism of 1960s rural Ireland is a counterpoint to the hustle and bustle of current day. The plot unfolds enticingly in front of the r
Alison
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In his website at Irishimbasbooks.com, author Brian O'Sullivan explains that he is passionate about Irish culture and language, and wants to educate people about Irish culture. With Beara: Dark Legends, he has certainly achieved that. The Irish language, landscape and history is elegantly woven into the story and gives it depth and purpose.
However, the main star is the story and the storytelling. Two stories are told in parallel - that of Mos O'Suilleabhain, the reclusive historian, and, 45 year
Anne O'Connor
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm not an avid reader of thrillers but I received a copy of this book to review because of the Irish element to it. I'm very glad I did because it was a great read! Funny, poignant, exciting and so quintessentially Irish. Lots of fun but also brilliant because of the ancient history that formed such a key element to the central story. I certainly know more about Irish history (or should I say prehistory) then I ever did before.
The protagonist, Mos, is an exceptional creation: cynical, secretive
Louise Mulligan
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book, quite intense reading for me at times, as I'm not too good with suspense which there is plenty of. Interesting characters, some very likeable, some not, and Ailbhe who I still can't quite decide on, however I'm hoping the next book of the trilogy will help me there. I really liked the way the author incorporated history and discussed the relevance that myths and legends play in oral history. I also liked the inclusion of Gaelic words and phrases, interpreted where nec ...more
Mike Thompson
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book – a great mixture of a strong story and strong characters, dark (some very dark) themes and evocative descriptions of the wild Irish landscape, interspersed with ancient Irish lore running throughout the book. The pace of the book slows down and speeds up as the story toggles between two story lines/time lines, reaching a breathless climax towards the end (but this is no Dan Brown novel – it’s much better than that). The reader is drawn in until the links between the t ...more
Kevin Mcnulty
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
True original! It kept me captivated from start to finish. I can't wait for the next book.
Jack Huebsch
Feb 24, 2016
Rebecca
Jan 17, 2019
May 12, 2017

• The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3)
  • Reliquary (Pendergast, #2)
  • THE HISTORY OF JAMAICA FROM 1494 TO 1838 (JAMAICA INSULA)
  • Christine Falls (Quirke, #1)
  • The Thing About Clare
  • Word of Truth: (Buried Goddess Saga Book 6)
  • The Ghosts of Belfast (Jack Lennon Investigations #1)
  • The Last Thing She Ever Did
Brian O'Sullivan was born in county Cork, Ireland. On completing a degree at University College Cork, he went on to travel extensively. He is now based in New Zealand with his family but returns to Ireland on a regular basis.

Brian writes fiction that incorporates strong elements of Irish culture, language, history and mythology. These include literary short stories (The Irish Muse collection), my

News & Interviews