Start by marking “Steam House: Demon Of Cawnpore (Part 1)” as Want to Read:
Steam House: Demon Of Cawnpore (Part 1)

Steam House: Demon Of Cawnpore

(Extraordinary Voyages #20)

A group of English men decide to travel in India in an invention of one of them: a steam-powered mechanical elephant. The trip occurs not long after a suppressed Indian uprising against British occupation & the threat of another rebellious outbreak runs as an undercurrent throughout. The is the first book of the Steam House series, the second of which is "Tigers and ...more
Published 1959 by Ace Books (first published 1880)

To ask other readers questions about Steam House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steam House

Start your review of Steam House: Demon Of Cawnpore (Part 1)
Ahmad Sharabiani
La Maison à vapeur - Voyage à travers l'Inde septentrionale = The End of Nana Sahib: The Steam House (Extraordinary Voyages #20), Jules Verne
The Steam House is an 1880, Jules Verne novel, recounting the travels of a group of British colonists in the Raj, in a wheeled house pulled by a steam-powered mechanical elephant. Verne uses the mechanical house, as a plot device, to have the reader travel in nineteenth-century India. The descriptions are interspersed with historical information and social
Fahim
خانه متحرک، به شورش هندی ها علیه استعمارگران انگلیسی در سال 1857 می پردازه و شخصیتِ تاریخیِ نانا صاحب رهبر شورشیان که پس از سرکوبِ شورش ناپدید میشه و سرگذشتش نامعلوم میمونه رو معرفی میکنه...
رمانیست تخیلی ، از این بابت که یکی از شخصیت های داستان ، خانه ی متحرکی میسازه که توسط یک فیل عظیم الجثه ی مکانیکی و بوسیله ی نیروی بخار به حرکت درمیاد و علی رغم عظمتش هیچ وقت هیچ محدودیتی در حرکتش به وجود نمیاد و سرتاسر هند رو باهاش سفر میکنن ...
تاریخی هم هست بخاطر پرداختن به استعمار هند توسط انگلیس و
Marts  (Thinker)
History and adventure in India...
gaston apapñs Tizonanos
Felipe Guerrero
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro francamente genial.

Tenía un rato sin leer algo de Julio Verne y me enteré por ahí de la existencia de este, como nunca había oído hablar de él pues me interesó pero nunca me había imaginado lo sensacional que fue.

Un viaje, como todos los de Verne, pero el vehículo en el que viajan y los parajes por los que el viaje es realizado hacen de este un viaje excepcional.

Por ultimo solo me gustaría agregar que usando Google Earth me puse a señalar los puntos por los que pasaron los personajes
Matti Karjalainen
Jules Vernen "Höyrytalo" (Kokoelmassa "Merkilliset matkat, WSOY, 1998) oli kiistatta eräs varhaisnuoruuteni suosikkikirjoista. Se kertoo ranskalais-englantilaisesta joukosta, joka matkaa höyrykoneella varustetulla rautaisella norsulla halki Intian, ja kohtaa matkallaan niin tiikereitä kuin verisen Sepoy-kapinan osaanottajiakin.

Vernen tarina on sinänsä oivallinen ja jännittävä, vaikka kerronnallisesti siinä onkin muutamia kömpelyyksiä; esimerkiksi sankareidemme keskuuteen soluttautuva
Marina Maidou
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always love this author, because he could write about things he never saw (or just imagine them) and he is so lively and full of feelings. Science fiction, exotic countries and tragic love stories. What a wonderful mix!
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
review of
Jules Verne's The Demon of Cawnpore
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - March 15, 2013

Verne's popularity was catapulted by his fantastic travel stories, such things as Five Weeks in a Balloon & Around the World in Eighty Days, a series his publisher entitles "Les Voyages Extraordinaires". While many of these were too fantastic to be based on actual traveler experience, Journey to the Center of the Earth & From the Earth to the Moon, eg, others might've had their details based on
Katherine Rodgers
The older the book, the more benefit of the doubt I give it. And for a book published originally in 1880, I give this book a lot of doubt. This is a LONG book, mostly made up of travelling through India without any tension or captivating motive. But…it’s not supposed to be. The author in 1880 wasn’t trying to write a book to fit into the expectation of the modern-day.
But that doesn’t mean I enjoyed it. I’m a modern-day kind of gal and I like my plots thrilling and emotional. And for a book
Matt
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not one of Verne's best books. Like the steam house itself, the story was very slow moving. In fact, the actual plot seemed to take a back seat to the detailed descriptions of the culture, history, and geography of India. To a reader who is not well acquainted with India, this definitely made the book interesting, though not exactly captivating. Also, the realistic nature of the setting (a journey across India) did not seem to be a great fit for Verne's powerful and often fanciful ...more
Jim
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of Jules Verne's stories are among my favorites--such as "journey to the Center of the Earth." But this book will not be added to that list. To be fair, this is only Part 1 and perhaps Part 2 will be a big improvement. However, this is really one of Verne's travelogues and I wish a map of Victorian Age India had been included. We follow some British imperialists ( accompanied by a Frenchman ) as they tromp around "In-jah" in a steam engine-driven mechanical elephant, the white sahibs ...more
Ryan
Feb 10, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-s-too-short
Some of the harder to find Jules Verne novels are very hit or miss, and there's a reason why. Some are just not very good. In this one, I guess it's partially my issue, but Verne writes as if the reader has a very clear and thorough understanding of India's geography and culture, which I don't have. This was not an easy read and I couldn't get myself to continue. It's fine, he has plenty of others I'll enjoy reading. You never know what you are going to get until you get the book, and ...more
Bhakta Jim
This isn't the one Jules Verne novel to read if you're only going to read one, but if you've enjoyed other works by Verne you should enjoy this one too. It's an adventure story that takes place in India with plenty of colorful details and thrilling incidents. The only science fiction element is a steam powered elephant that pulls a train of houses.
Shanny
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julio-verne
Primer historia que leo en India y Julio Verne no me ha decepcionado. Es un placer siempre volver a mi autor favorito y disfrutar de su viva imaginación. Lo único que me que no me gustó fue la cacería, pero era un deporte muy respetado de la época, así que hasta en eso Verne fue sumamente diligente, además de la historia de entre India y Europa.
Yolanda Alcarraz
¡Un libro increible! Me ha llevado en un viaje excepcional por la India y al pasado, donde todo era a base de maquinas de vapor. Un viaje maravilloso donde sin ver he llegado a conocer lugares inimaginales, ciudades increibles, ríos, aniamles y fenomenos naturales impresionantes. Lo he disfutado mucho y sin duda se ha convertido en uno de mis libros preferidos.
Isaac Basaure
Una de las mejores novelas de Julio Verne. Tiene todos los elementos que uno espera encontrar en una obra del escritor francés. Recomendable.
Feroz Dsilva
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is based in India post the sepoy mutiny. Although a fiction, it gives a different perspective.
Ileana
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cel mai light SF scris de Jules Verne.
Antti Sorri
Joskus on mukava palata ajassa taakse päin ja tarttua kirjailijaan, jonka teoksia ei ole lukenut ainakaan kahteenkymmeneen vuoteen. Kirjaston poistomyynnistä tarttui 20 sentin sijoitusta vastaan klassikkokirjailija, joka ei esittelyjä kaipaa. Sen sijaan hänen teoksensa ei sanonut minulle mitään. Niinpä luvassa oli lukukokemus tutun kirjailijan tuntemattomaksi jääneestä teoksesta.

Jokainen on varmasti lukenut jonkun Jules Vernen (1828 – 1905) matkakertomuksen. Itse muistan ahmineeni poikavuosina
Anoop Chatterjee
Jul 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Actually I had originally rated it at two stars, but now that I sit to write this review I've changed my mind. I actually did not like the book.
The theme is interesting the author need not be introduced, so this is the best book which should have been. But (and a big BUT), this book misses out on one very important aspect - the story.

To clear all doubts at the start: this is a work of (pure) fiction. The settings and society depicted is of India of the post-1857 mutiny age. The social setting
John
Jul 02, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Verne fans, 19th century sf fans, 19th century India fans
This is the first half of The Steam House, a minor Verne novel about a party of Europeans (mostly English though the
narrator is French) traveling through northern India in
what we might call luxurious trailors pulled by a a steam-powered elephant. Very little happens in the first book
--they escape a forest fire and defeat 3 real elephants in a pulling contest--but their travels are intercut with
plotting by Nana Sahib (a real person) a surviving leader
of the Indian Mutiny of 1857, and it is
iixo
Välttelen kandini tekemistä lukemalla tutkimuskohteitani viihdemielessä. A+.

Anyway, tää oli paras tähän asti lukemistani mutta koska mun tähdet on tiukassa, niin poikkean nyt tavastani olla tarkentamatta asteikkoa ja ilmoitan täten että soisin kirjalle 3.5 tähteä. Tai 3.4 jos jotakuta ahdistaa virheellinen pyöristys.
Vivike
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interessant boek, wel veel achtergrondinformatie die soms het verhaal ophoudt.
Travis
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Another favorite. Exotic India, like it probably never was, but it should have been. Lots of adventure and you've got to love any book that features a steam powered elephant.
Md. Faysal Alam Riyad
গলপটা ভারতীয পটভূমিতে লেখার কারনেই হযত একটু বেশি ভালো লেগেছে। এমন একটা হাতি তৈরীর কথা বি বরতমানে কেউ ভাববে! ...more
Risha
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Miguel
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aventuras
Tensión, aventuras y grandes paisajes en esta novela en la que Julio Verne parece adelantarse a los modernos campistas que viajan montados en sus fantásticas autocaravanas ;-)

Muy recomendable.

• The War against Cliché: Essays and Reviews 1971-2000
  • Antología de poesía china
  • Ruy Blas
  • Squadron Supreme
  • All the Sad Young Men (Works of F. Scott Fitzgerald)
  • Babylon Revisited and Other Stories
  • Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945
  • Eugénie Grandet
  • The Basil and Josephine Stories
  • The Bourne Ultimatum (Jason Bourne, #3)
  • Ion
  • La ciudad de Luzbel y otros relatos
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant (Extraordinary Voyages, #5)
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City (Extraordinary Voyages, #8)
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa (Extraordinary Voyages, #9)
  • The Fur Country (Extraordinary Voyages, #10)
“Life is not all sunshine, but yet I would willingly consent to live ten centuries out of pure curiosity!”   That” 2 likes
“The Ranee was killed in a hand to hand fight before Gwalior. This famous queen, who was devoted to the Nabob, and was his most faithful companion during the insurrection, fell by the hand of Sir Edward Munro. Nana Sahib, by the dead body of Lady Munro at Cawnpore, the colonel, by the dead body of the Ranee at Gwalior, represent the revolt and the suppression, and were thus made enemies whose hatred would find terrible vent if they ever met face to face!   The” 1 likes