Start by marking “Banished (The Blackhart Legacy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Banished (The Blackhart Legacy, #1)

Banished (The Blackhart Legacy #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  569 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
Sworn to protect, honour and slay. Because chaos won’t banish itself…

Kit is proud to be a Blackhart, now she’s encountered her unorthodox cousins and their strange lives. And her home-schooling now includes spells, fighting enemy fae and using ancient weapons. But it’s not until she rescues a rather handsome fae prince, fighting for his life on the edge of Blackhart Manor,
Published February 27th 2014 by Tor UK

To ask other readers questions about Banished, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Banished

Shattered by Teri TerryTrouble by Non PrattSay Her Name by James DawsonBanished by Liz de JagerHalf Bad by Sally Green
UKYA in 2014
141 books — 235 voters
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeAlienated by Melissa LandersStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenThe Murder Complex by Lindsay CummingsSnow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
YA Debuts 2014
375 books — 1,494 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathylill
Jan 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNFed at 25% ... This was really not what I anticipated.

Why do I keep falling for stories including fae? Maybe because I hope one day I might find one that will enchant me just as Karen Marie Moning Fever series did once. Unfortunately, this book rather disappoints. As it is, the story lacks originality. Miss little special finds and saves fae prince, epic battle ensues ... Yawn!

I did not particularly care about the main character. Her voice is more or less unlikable. She is kind of a know-it a
I feel it's only fair to mention in my review that I have known Liz for about 4 years now and consider her a friend, as much as I've tried not to let that effect my review I do think it's something I should be open and honest about. Now I've got that little disclaimer out of the way let me tell you all the reasons that Banished is a must read novel for urban fantasy fans!

Kit Blackhart has only recently become aware of her family's calling to protect humanity from the monsters that prey on us. Sh
Booknut
'You just never know what might lurk in the dark...'
Fans of Julie Kagawa's The Iron Fey series are in for a treat with this new YA series.

Liz de Jager's Banished serves up a healthy dose of fae magic, adventure & romance that will have you dying to join the Blackhart family. From it's gorgeous cover to its addictive storyline, this book has everything - a badass heroine, lots of shining weapons & cute paranormal guys.

What more could you ask for?!

The one thing you could ask for was for
Ria
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i really didn't expect to love this but i did *if the sequels were also sold for 1 euro, i would have gotten them.i didn't care enought for them to spend 9euros for each book*.shit reminds me so much of Mortal Instruments/Dark Artifices.Blackharts here,Blackthorns there,fae here,fae there.i mean yeah YA books are all the same shit but these two are just really similar *probably why i loved this*.what i loved were these tiny paragraphs that were in the start of almost every chapter.they gave u so ...more
Monica
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is much better than most urban fantasy involving fae. It is fast paced, and packed with plenty of action. The monsters/creatures that Kit faces in this book are extremely imaginative and are described to the reader with great attention to detail. I would have enjoyed the book a bit more if the main characters were better developed, but in all fairness the character development was actually pretty typical for a novel as fast paced as this one.

There are some dark elements to this novel,
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Fae, fighting, family, loyalty, love.

Review to come.
Lu (Sugar & Snark)
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have, sa-author
What fun and enjoyable paranormal fantasy! The main character, Kit, is a tough teenager who fights monsters of all kinds, in fact her whole family does. Enter the Blackhart family - whom I didn't get to know nearly as much as I wanted to, but I'm sure the sequel will deliver! I surprisingly liked Kit and didn't find her at all annoying. Then there is also Thorn, the fae prince, yip a faerie prince whom Kit has to protect. Together they go on a crazy adventure that defies reality.

This book had so
Daphne (Illumicrate)
Strong start, but it lost a lot of steam towards the middle for a good 2/3rds of the book. I wasn't as engaged with the writing as I should be. Also, I felt there was almost too much in terms of types of creatures that are appearing in the book.

I liked Kit though and all the characters in it an awful lot. All in all, it was good, but I wanted better. Full review to come.
Kirsty
Mar 26, 2013 rated it liked it
If you love fantasy novels you will devour this. World building is immense, main character Kit is kick-ass and the boys are super hot. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Mieneke
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, young-adult, fantasy
Full disclosure: The author Liz de Jager is a very dear friend. This doesn't mean I haven't read this novel critically, because I have. In fact I think I might have read it even more critically than I would usually read a debut, as I kept weighing whether I liked things because I liked them or whether I liked them because of who the author was. But to avoid any accusations of bias, I did want to mention it upfront. That being said, let's get on with the review.

Banished is the first book in the B
Arjun Thakrar
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So I got a proof of this way back but I thought I'd hold of reviewing it till it was out and Voila! It is, so you should go and buy it! But seriously It's an amazing book. Now I'm not just saying that because I've met the author but I really mean it. It's honestly like nothing you'll ever read before.

I'm not sure how to describe. If you took maybe the mortal interments, lord of the rings and then just throw in some modern YA Paranormal fiction with a bucket of romance and feels I guess you'd get
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read the sampler pages of Banished online and knew it was one I had to read. It took me a while to get the book, and then to actually make a start on it, my incentive was having the second book, Vowed, on netgalley for review.

I began reading Banished with no idea what to expect, and it wasn't long before the real action started. The first few chapters were just the build up to an amazing story as we follow Kit as she takes an epic journey to find her family and save a lost prince, think the jo
Pavithra Mahendran
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Banished - The Blackhart Legacy

I just found out when i was searching for the this book to review it - Banished is a reeallly common book title. There must at least 25 books with the word 'banished' in the title, probably more.

Anyway, getting onto the actual review - this book had great potential. The world of the Fae and the human realm are at peace and there is a family of talented humans who help the police the unruly fae in the normal world, which is to basically kick their ass back to
Lucy Powrie
You can read more of my reviews at Queen of Contemporary

Banished was another of my most highly anticipated books of 2014, and so I was delighted when I won a copy from the publisher. A blend of Maggie Stiefvater’s Lament, with the intensity and passion of Cassandra Clare’s The Mortal Instruments, you really need to watch out for this trilogy.

Kit is part of the impressive Blackhart family. Trained to fight, Kit isn’t any normal person, for her family fights enemy Fae. When the prince of Alba, the
Serendipity Reviews
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have to state before you read my review that I do actually know Liz De Jager. She was very much a pioneer in the UKYA book blogging community and her imput is sorely missed. Now I guess you are thinking that my review will be biased because I know Liz. Well you couldn’t be more wrong. I was extremely nervous about reading this book; I was worried that I might not like it, that it might not live up to the early wide spread love already gained. In fact, I did speak to Liz via email before review ...more
Becky
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I got sent a copy of this from the publisher (THANK YOU!). I had heard of Liz online from her blog and I believe met her at an author event in London once, so was excited to see a name I knew on a book. The blurb sounded awesome too, really my sort of read. I couldn't wait to get stuck in.

Meet Kit Blackhart, tough girl and monster killer. Until recently Kit was what you could call 'normal' she had no idea about her family past or her magic powers, but when her nan is killed in a house fire her U
Virginie (chouettblog)
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was my first time coming across a book looking at the world of Fae as warriors. I am sure that they are plenty out there but for me that was quite a refreshing read.

I have been so used to the vampire werewolf and witch trio being always at war that I have never considered the fae’s warrior’s spirit, no doubt overshadowed by their reputation as tricksters.

So without further ado, I would like to welcome you to the “Otherwhere” where ancient magic and magical creatures of all sorts reside. A w
Sophie
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure on this one: Liz is my friend and I’ve championed her from the start, but I’ve tried very hard not to let that get in the way of a fair review. I just genuinely loved it.

Nearly every type of mythical creature that pops to mind when you think of urban fantasy, and some that won’t, play a role in Banished: fae, redcaps, goblins, trolls, chimera. All present and correct. And you can really see how much research Liz put into learning everything she could about them so she could mani
Erin
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow. I mean, I like being surprised by a book, but I have to say I was really surprised by this one. Not only did my expectations of the book got proved wrong (because I wasn't necessarily sure whether this book would be my cup of tea or not), but I also found myself really, really enjoying this book as well, even when - at times - the book ran a little slow for me. Just. Wow. This book gets one very satisfied nod from me personally. I really liked this one!

With a simliar vibe to the likes of Ca
Kirsti
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the start far more than the rest. When I start page counting you've lost me. I should have finished this book in half the time, but so many things that ordinarily don't distract me were preferable to reading *sheepish* One of my favorite background noises while reading are Disney movies. Something with good music is preferable, but I had 'Spooky Buddies' still unwrapped. It shouldn't have grabbed my interest over a book, but it did. Oops. I also did the washing up! ;)

Still, there are p
Jess
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book for the sole reason that it said 'for the fans of Buffy'. I wasn't expecting much but I loved it! It was fast paced and unputadownable
The characters were all unique and interesting and the plot moved you along nicely.
As with all first books that are due to be a series there was a lot of world building, however sometimes I find this a bit to much that authors try to cram to much information down your throat and that you are left confused and disorientated. I didn't find th
Dave
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolute, unashamed gloriously good fun.

Fabulous characters and a non-stop roller-coaster of a plot. Liz manages to deftly turn scenes on their head, shifting effortlessly from action to humour and back again, with Fae princes, werewolves and assorted other beasties and creatures (not to mention the odd Elder God), all of which are there to help (or mostly hinder) our heroine Kit Blackhart along the way. Oh, and a dragon. :-)

Classic girl-meets-boy-who-turns-out-to-be-a-Fae-prince. Cross Buffy w
Coyora Dokusho
Read 2 times

July 19, 2014

This was great!

Great!!!!

I want the next book soooooo bad.

characters = fascinating

plot = epic cool

writing = REALLY GOOD

January 1, 2016

It was so good!!!!! (again) But something that I didn't notice (as much) the first time around was that there is this epic, epic story about finding out she's a Blackhart, meeting her cousins, all these interactions and getting to know them, that is just barely sketched out during the book... and I want to read it.... I want to read that st
Sue @crushingcinders Holmes
Banished is a fast-paced fantasy which combined with a feisty heroine, enchanting Faerie prince and a believable Faerie world makes it a book not to be missed.

The sprinklings of betrayal and treachery just lift it to further heights like the hundreds and thousands on a cupcake!

Oh and did I mention that Liz de Jager is a fellow South African? And no this did not influence my review!
Wanderlust
This storyline has been done a billion times over, sometimes better & sometimes worse. I thought the writing was good which is why I continued the story even once I had figured out where it was going (very, very early on). I thought the price was a bit steep to be honest, I really couldn't justify it.

My overall feeling -
Kendra
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-copy, signed
I tend to either love or hate fantasy books, and Banished definitely fell in the 'love' camp. Fast paced and lots of fun. Kit is a wonderful, funny main character, and I can't wait to read where book two takes her and Thorn.
Daphne
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
LOVED all the different mythologies. Especially, the little journal entries talking about the different sorts of creatures in the beginning of the chapters. Now, to do some research on this seventh son of the seventh son business.
Jen {Stay to the Lights}
stopped at page 55. I can't bring myself to read any more. I feel no connection to the main character, I don't even know anything about her.

I may come back to this some other time. Just not anytime soon.
Taylor
Oct 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
You know what torture feels like ? Having to read this book.
Natasha Ngan
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Imaginative, immersive and with a kick ass heroine - a whole load of fun!
  • Hidden Among Us (Hidden Among Us #1)
  • Our Lady of the Streets (The Skyscraper Throne, #3)
  • The Madness
  • The Star Child (The Star Child, #1)
  • Feather Bound
  • Close Encounters of the Girl Kind (Geekhood, #1)
  • Legend of Me
  • Glimpse
  • The Fearless
  • A Kiss in the Dark
  • Shadowplay (Micah Grey, #2)
  • Deep Water
  • Tribute
  • Between
  • Crest (Ondine Quartet, #3)
  • Blue (Blue, #1)
  • The Weight of Souls
Moved to the UK in 2000 with my husband. We now live in Kent with our dog Sparrow. I ran My Favourite Books Blog - a book review site - until the end of 2012 when we decided to shut it for our own sanity.

My bookdeal was announced in March 2013 and the first book THE BLACKHART LEGACY: BOOK 1: BANISHED is due out in Spring 2014 from Tor UK, an imprint of Pan Macmillan.
More about Liz de Jager

The Blackhart Legacy (3 books)
  • Vowed (The Blackhart Legacy, #2)
  • Judged (The Blackhart Legacy, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Heaven is food.” 5 likes
“I just about prevent myself from laughing, but the information that coffee is basically faery Viagra just totally took the wind out of my sails.” 4 likes