Start by marking “Giving an Inch (The Professor's Rule, #1)” as Want to Read:
Giving an Inch (The Professor's Rule, #1)

Giving an Inch

(The Professor's Rule #1)

History grad James Sheridan thinks his biggest problem in life is trying to find a suitable outfit for his upcoming Ph.D. candidacy exam. That is, until he accidentally texts a changing-room selfie meant for his fashionable sister to his ex, the domineering Professor Carson.

James and Carson haven’t seen each since James fled their power games two years ago. Back in his und
Published April 15th 2013 by Riptide Publishing (first published April 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Giving an Inch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giving an Inch

Monique
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Heidi Belleau and Amelia Gormley delivered some kinky changing room fun with a droolworthy texting Dom who certainly pushed all my buttons… I loved this and can’t wait for more!!

I am already a huge fan of Heidi Belleau and I was interested to see how the dynamics would work with an author I was unfamiliar with… well, I needn't have worried. This is the first book in a series and I have to say, it has great potential and I am excited to see where they will take us next, especially if like me you
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**Currently FREE on Amazon! 2/12/14!!**

Whew!! Is it hot in here or is it just me??? Heidi Belleau and Amelia C. Gormely turned up the heat with this one!

This book was about mind games, pure and simple. It is about the struggle between maintaining control vs the desire to submit to another person, fully and completely. I found it to be incredibly erotic.

I happen to be in the camp that believes that reading dirty talking is hotter than reading actual sex on page. In this case, it was dirty text
Ingie
Written April 3, 2014

3.7 Stars - cheeky, sexy and very funny

I got this one for free at some point (Thanks Anne!) and after an hard an depressing book was it time for something more light and easy. ...and I got exactly that.

This novella, Giving An Inch is the first part in a series, The Professor's Rule. These books are about the young history grad James Sheridan and the very naughty and dominant Professor Carson. The stories revolve around their smexy power games (..so far light D/s or BDSM).

He
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
What do this

plus this

divided by this

equal?
[flagged]

Yap!

Who's on the other end of the cell phone you ask?

Bossy and naughty former dom to our cute little twink, James, who he accidentally mis-texted and somehow found himself obeying his commands again. Naughty shenanigans in a changing room with a sexy sales assistant, what's not to like here?

All which makes me feel like this
description

Giving an Inch was surprisingly well written. Honestly, it had me at the Star Wars t-shirt followed shortly thereafter by t
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
~~~
Read Sept 28, 2013

4 Stars

Whew! This turned out to be quite a bit more erotic than I was expecting. Where did I get it into my head that this was going to be some sweet, innocent thing? Did I even check who the authors were? *smacks head Luckily for me, I liked the surprise, a lot, and man Heidi and Amelia make a seamless writing team. Btw, there is sweet and even tender here too, it's just wrapped up in a smoking hot scene.

THE CHARACTERS

James Sheridan - Grad student, sub, and he needs a sui
SheReadsALot
*devious grin*

"Giving an Inch"...hmm what a great title. History Grad James Sheridan is inept when it comes to fashion. He needs an outfit to impress the Ph.D candidacy board and his t-shirt and ratty jeans aren't going to cut it. So he's lost in translation at a clothing store, getting flirtatious help from a hot shop assistant, tasked with taking selfies and sending to his sister who is much more fluent in clothes. He accidentally texts his ex of two years, the ever-so-dominant Professor Carso
Sunny
WTH?! There I was, totally caught up in the story, not paying a bit of attention to how many pages were left, salivating for the next chapter, and it just ENDED! I repeat, WTH?!

*runs off to get the next book*

ETA: I'm back, and pouting. The next book is a prequel. I want to read it, but it's not as urgent as a follow up with James and the professor and Satish. I HATE that. Get me all excited, and leave me HANGING. Ugh. It was like taking a bite of an incredibly decadent dessert just to have them
Sara
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
What is the saying? It's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it? That can be said for this book as well. Short on page numbers but not on steam or simple dominance via text message.

James Sheridan is shopping for a special outfit, one that will help propel his academic career. Solo in this trip as his sister stayed home sick he is approached by a salesman to assist him. Awkward James begins to try on clothes assisted by the dark and handsome Satish who he believes is flirting with h
Barbara
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hot, m-m

I think dirty talk is hotter... (in somes cases) than the actual "hoedown" ... and this book proves me Im right!!

What a selfie leads to! HOT ... HOT ... HOT :D

Vivian
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica-contemp
Sizzling...

Well this changing room fetish usually does nothing for me, but James's interactions with both Satish and Carson were pretty hot. BUT, the bit that takes it up and over from just being a deliciously smutty piece is the exchanges between James and Carson and James "epiphany" as the short story progresses. Some hot D/s with a sub dealing with mild humiliation issues and fears.

Favorite quote:
"No matter what you gave Carson, he wanted more. More, more, more. Right at the end, James had b
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.5 Stars

Shopping is not my thing, so dressing rooms are not my happiest places on earth. But James and Satish’s sexy on your knees exploits may help change my mind about that! :D

James is shopping for interview clothes for his big PhD oral exam and next step in life. He picks up pants, vests, and a flirty salesman along the way. But an accidental text to his ex-Professor and ex-lover, Carson, really heats things up! Texts, photos, and commands fly back and forth. Every click, stroke, and suck fi
Alvin
I liked this!

First of all, this is so hot!!! Sex on a the dressing room with a hot salesman on the orders of your Dom? It's hot!!!

While the inner monologue of James can be irritating, I think I can understand it. Well, he and Carson and done, but he just can't get over their carnal relationship unfortunately. I don't hate it, but I don't love it.

A nice and hot short!
Emma Sea
There is nothing wrong with the story at all, this just wasn't to my taste. I needed some connection between James and his Professor, and the changing room scene isn't my kink.
Amy
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories, lgbtq
A short, sexy read that fell a little flat for me.

James is a hot mess when it comes to fashion. He needs something to wear to his upcoming Ph.D. candidacy exam, so his sister has agreed to help. She’s home sick today so Patrick goes shopping and plans to text her pictures of his various choices.

In the menswear department, he is assisted by a cute sales guy, Satish. After some harmless flirting James heads to the dressing room to try things on and send his sister some pics. Whoops! He accidentall
Kazza
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm
This was a nice, sexy read, with great depth given to all characters over 45 pages - I appreciate a short story that delivers so much. A seamless co-write here between Heidi Belleau and Amelia C Gormley. There was much to like, but also much to think about by the end of reading. Pretty hot writing - using the sale of menswear, a helpful salesman, an initial misplaced text, and the confines of a change room to develop some hot BDSM fare that left you looking for more about all primary characters ...more
Wart Hill
Well.
um.

I can't decide if that was creepy and sexy.

or just sexy.

or how creepy.

IDEK

so clearly I need to read the rest of the series.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jennifer☠Pher☠ by: MishyJo
Shelves: m-m, lgbtq
I probably should have paid more attention to what this was about instead of thinking, quick freebie for a Sunday afternoon. I really don't like this kind of thing.
Debra
3.5 stars for now. A lot was set up but it was really so short. I am looking forward to actually "meeting" the Professor in the next book. It seems like James has too many issues to be involved in a relationship with him, but the serial has real potential.
Marte - Thunderella
** 2 stars **

Meh. Kind of hot, but at the same time not.
I am confused by the order of this series, though. This is #1 and takes place two years after the next in the series (#2)? *confused*
This was free, don't know if I'll be reading #2.

Waring: sharing... :-/
Nic
This was short but oh, so hot!

All the action takes place in a department store change room as James ventures out for some clothes shopping. A mis-dial sees him messaging a photo to Carson, someone he had cut himself off from two years before, because "He couldn't trust himself not to jump off a cliff at Carson's say-so, maybe even jump off a cliff without Carson's say-so, but just because that was what James thought Carson wanted."

We only meet Carson on the phone as he directs James' actions, J
Brandilyn
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, read-2013
Full review here: http://www.prismbookalliance.com/?p=2872

Giving an Inch is a fun little romp and a great start for the planned series. It isn't meant to take itself too seriously, so if that is what you are after, this is not the book for you. It was, however, the perfect follow-up to the much more intense Flesh Cartel 6 (for which I always recommend having something happy and fun lined up to read afterwards).

James is a man caught between the past and the present. But can the past and the prese
Catherine
*** 3.5 Stars ***

Sue me, but I kinda loved that this story was essentially about a threesome (even if the one guy didn't know it was and the other was only a series of text messages). Also, I love me some student/teacher kink and a good power imbalance (though, perversely, I also appreciated James fighting back to establish some new ground rules between him and Dr. Carson), so this tasty little morsel was right up my alley.

*slides Book 2 off her teetering TBR shelf*
Cory
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
BR with Mishyjo! I liked it and it was pretty fast paced and kept me interested. Not sure how I really feel about Carson just yet. But I liked that James created more ground rules than he had previously, and that Carson accepted them. Looking forward to the second one.
Brooke
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free, m-m, lend, short-stories
It was hot, short, and free. Can't complain too much.
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: barb, a-good-read, riptide
4 Stars
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

It is very difficult to say much in a review of such a short book, that hasn’t either been said in the blurb already or leaves absolutely nothing new for the reader to discover themselves – but what I can say is that I liked the story. A lot. It was very, very sexy! Phone sex always is – and when it is done with photos in the change room of a store it moves it up a whole ‘nother level :-)

James met Carson at a time in his life when he desperately need
Pjm12
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
More than just a frisky controlled encounter in a men's fitting room, this is also a glimpse into James' psyche as he tries to clarify in his own mind what he's looking for in a relationship, and negotiate some different boundaries. It's a slow build up to one pretty hot blowjob, and Satish is a perfect foil to the anxious James.

Carson is portrayed in a sympathetic light - he appears to not be pushing or demanding, but I have my doubts about this professor, Am interested to read on.

(These are sh
Sheri
Hmmmm, what is that saying?
"Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile?"

Yeahhh, that about sums up the Professor and the pupil (thank heavens were are talking college here). A texting mishap sparks back up their relationship and this time around we have new player.
Twas naughty.
Twas hot.
Twas just the beginning.
I'm not completely sold yet, but I see the potential.

*3.5 inch-by-inch stars*
Vallie
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: bdsm, spicy-hot, mm, short
Hot. Kinky. Delicious. Somewhat emotional, if not for Carson the jerk. Recommend for a quick, steamy indulgence.
Vanessa North
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is EXACTLY what i needed today. Short, fun, and hot! Loved it.
Shirley Frances
James ended his relationship with Carson, a former professor of his, because he didn't trust himself to set boundaries as to what lengths he would go to please the man. Although he recognizes that Carson helped him not only in getting his life under control but with his academic discipline as well, James is still afraid of how far he can be pushed. These struggles come back to him once he acknowledges Carson's response to his text and engages in a text conversation with Carson.

Oh my, never I hav
Chat with the authors! 10 14 Dec 01, 2013 11:10PM
Plan the Next Lesson! 1 5 Sep 30, 2013 01:09PM
  • If It Flies (Market Garden #3)
  • The Flesh Cartel #9: Trials and Errors
  • Falling Away
  • Good Boy (Theta Alpha Gamma, #4)
  • Flawless (Irresistible Attraction, #4)
  • The Subs Club (The Subs Club, #1)
  • Dirty Laundry (Tucker Springs, #3)
  • City Mouse (Country Mouse, #2)
  • Once a Brat (Kinky Cupid, #1)
  • Apartment 1209
  • O Come All Ye Kinky
  • Aftermath (Glitterland, #1.5)
  • Dark Soul Vol. 2 (Dark Soul, #2)
Heidi Belleau was born and raised in small town New Brunswick, graduated with a degree in history from Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, and now lives outside of Edmonton, Alberta, with her tradesman husband and two kids. A proud bisexual woman, her writing reflects everything she loves: diverse casts of queer characters, a sense of history and place, equal parts witty and filthy dialog ...more

The Professor's Rule (5 books)
  • An Inch at a Time (The Professor's Rule #2)
  • Inch by Inch (The Professor's Rule, #3)
  • Every Inch of the Way (The Professor's Rule, #4)
  • To the Very Last Inch (The Professor's Rule, #5)