Start by marking “Just a Little Unwell” as Want to Read:
Just a Little Unwell

Just a Little Unwell

Patrick Trafford is pleased with the simple life he has, spending his time tending a tiny garden accompanied by his best friend, Chad, who just happens to be a cockroach. Nevertheless, he can't hide the excitement bubbling in him when a man suddenly appears in the garden.

Damien Abner politely welcomes, albeit somewhat at a loss, Patrick's warm offer to spend time with hi
Published March 23rd 2013 by Silver Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Just a Little Unwell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just a Little Unwell

Macky
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.75*

A bittersweet tale that has an awful lot of promise - cut short because of its length. Patrick lives his life happily surrounded by his garden, his house he loves and Chad , a cockroach he treats as a pet... Don't get put off because this is a story with underlying layers, and these layers start to peel away the day that Daniel turns up on his doorstep and enters his life.

That's as far a reveal as I can go with this short tale because the crux of the story is its twist in the tail. The pity
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.65*
I'm torn, really torn, the idea and the execution of this story is very unique, I'm pretty sure I haven't read anything quite like it.
This would have been, at least for me, a wonderful novella length story. It had such potential but due to the length, or lack there of left so much open and incomplete for me.
Patrick is a very unique man, he is content in his house, with his flowers and garden. He has Chad, his best friend, a cockroach until one day Damien shows up and changes his life drast
Deeze
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a very different read and I really liked it, but it needs to be longer.

To start off I assumed this was going to be some kind of magical creatures fic, but I was, as usual, totally wrong. Guess the title really gives it away once you get a bit further in.

I was happy to see Patrick’s and Damien’s relationship progress but that’s also where I think I had my main issue. The time line is far to fast for me. I guess despite being told how much time had past I never felt it.

I was also left wo
Lucy
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Patrick is a simple man, working his garden and staving off loneliness with the help of his friend, Chad the cockroach. When a man appears in Patrick’s garden, he is quick to offer him coffee and conversation. Damien spends time with Patrick, listens to him sing and talks with him. They are friends, right?

Until he realizes who Damien is. Can’t say much more without spoilering the story, but the twist wasn’t what I expected and I thought it was great. As for Nickary, I hope he gets what he deser
V
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story is very lovely indeed, however, many things were left in the air and a lot of things happened way too fast, but still very good.
I'm afraid I can't say too much, otherwise I will give the story away.
I think it would terrific if the author write a extended version, because it has great potential to become a fantastic story.
Emma Sea
Apr 06, 2013 marked it as honestly-ill-never-get-around-to-it
This sounds lovely, but I have issues with Silver publishing.
Serena Yates
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
This is a fascinating story, hauntingly beautiful and very mysterious; a true treasure. Even though it is very short, the characters and emotions are clear and it has a lot more depth than I expected. Half the fun, for me, was following the teasing hints set out like bread crumbs to follow as the truth about Patrick and Damian is slowly revealed.

Patrick is happy where he is. He has a simple life, tending to his garden during the day and watching TV at night. The first hint that something may not
 ~♥ Elle ♥~
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow, I didn't expect that. Amazingly good but it was too short to have fully developed characters. I hope this will be a full novel someday(view spoiler).
Susan65
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Might just be me, but I was completely and utterly lost.
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
4 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

Patrick is happy with his simple life, he tends his garden every day and has his best friend Chad, a cockroach, to talk to, but everything begins to change with the appearance of a strange man in his garden. Damien welcomes Patrick’s offer of some coffee, they begin to spend time together and become friends, but Patrick’s nice safe home begins to shatter when Damien is kept from visiting him and Damien insists
mw138
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it

Patrick is happy with his simple life. Even though he doesn't have many friends, he loves to tend his garden and can always count on Chad, his pet cockroach, to be there. When Patrick meets a new neighbor, Damien, he is overjoyed and makes a point to become friends with the polite and kind man. However, things aren't quite as they seem and soon Patrick must deal with an entirely new reality: one that's scary, confusing and frustrating.

I must admit that I was slightly confused at the beg
Annette Gisby
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, romance, short-story
This was a short, bittersweet story that really pulls at your heartstrings. I guessed the twist long before it was revealed, so that was a bit of a disappointment for me. I would have preferred to have been surprised.

The story was told from Patrick's point of view and he was the one character's head we got to spend time in. I would have loved to have been inside Damien's head for part of it, but I suppose with a short story sticking to one character's POV probably worked for the best.

The author
Cathy Brockman
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Patrick likes his life simple, tending his gardens and talking to his best friend a cockroach he calls chad. Damien appears one day and Patrick can’t hide his happiness until one day Damien doesn't return. Looking for Damien unravels some secrets Patrick isn't sure he wants to know.
I loved this story It is sad and sweet at the same time. I can’t say a lot without giving it away since it is very short but it will definitely; leave you wanting more. I would have liked to know more about both cha
Bec Booton (Bec's Books)
This novella is a short m/m romance story that I read in one quick sitting.

I would give this story 3.5 stars since it's a unique story and it's written with a twist which is what I enjoyed most.

You can see my full entry about this novella at Bec's Book Blog.
Pippii
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a very nice little story about Patrick that lives a quiet life with his garden and his love for "Cat Ballou".
One day another person enters his life and everything changes...

A very cool plot twist that I did not see coming and a great debut book from a great writer.
Teresa
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, romances, own
Becky Condit
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it
See Trish's 3 1/2 sweet pea review on April 7, 2013 at http://mrsconditreadsbooks.com/index....

Remember every Sunday we feature short stories!
Inked Reads
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This is a quick read that sparked my interest for the childlike imagination of the main character. It would be hard to describe the story without giving anything away, especially since the author didn't include some elements in the blurb.
I wish she would have, actually. I was left feeling uncertain about the direction the story took and why the characters behaved as they did. Unfortunately, I suspect some readers may be triggered by the same things that caught me by surprise. Although it could p
Carly
An odd little short story with endearing characters. Patrick is mostly content with his life, but when he meets Damien it becomes obvious that something has been missing. As his attachment to Damien grows, more changes occur, and they are not as easy to fit into his life as Damien has been.

A story about mental health, emotional break down and healing, JUST A LITTLE UNWELL is a very short story with a lot of potential. The opening scenes are wonderful but the ending is rushed. It has an entertain
A.M. Leibowitz
This is a quick read that sparked my interest for the childlike imagination of the main character. It would be hard to describe the story without giving anything away, especially since the author didn’t include some elements in the blurb.

Christina Wade - BFD Book Blog
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
this short story has the potential to be an epic tale. i so wish it was a full novel. we get a small taste of the tragedies patrick suffered. we also get a glimpse of how wonderful damien is, especially with patrick.

i don't want to give anything away so i'll wrap my review up by saying that if there is any chance of expanding this to a novel or even novella length story, it should be done. this is a unique story line with the potential to be extremely powerful.
Candice
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, m-m
Read on 3-4-14

Wow, so this little gem surprised me :) I liked it, but I just wished it was longer. I felt like I was missing something, okay, a lot of somethings. I wanted more from both MC's.

I can't say much without giving stuff away, just that I liked it. Maybe this will turn into a full length novella??? One can only hope.

Lori
Jun 18, 2013
Sadonna
Apr 13, 2013
Erin
rated it did not like it
Mar 22, 2014
Carrie Sachnik
Jan 23, 2015
Carmen
Jun 08, 2017
Reading, watching movies, and being unable to find exactly the thing she wanted to read have led Iyana to write her own stories, mostly about man-on-man romance that has fascinated her since as early as the Starsky and Hutch era. Teaching and writing English course books during the day, Iyana spends her nights mostly dreaming of love stories between two men who are protective toward each other.