Start by marking “Someone Else's Wedding” as Want to Read:
Someone Else's Wedding

Someone Else's Wedding

Mr. & Mrs. Max Irving request the company of:

Mrs. Fran Friedman, mourning her empty nest, her lost baby, the galloping years, and a disastrous haircut.

Mr. Saul Friedman, runner of marathons, avoider of conflicts and increasingly distant husband.

Published June 20th 2013 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Someone Else's Wedding, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Stephanie
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
When I originally rated this book on my Goodreads, I gave it four stars. Now, after reflection, I’ve had to upgrade that rating to five stars simply because I’m still thinking about the Friedmans, James and the rest of the characters.

This book packs a wallop but without giving too much away I really can’t say why. Over the course of a bank holiday weekend, Fran and Saul Friedman along with their grown up daughters Pip and Katy attend the wedding of Jamie Irving. We’re led to believe that Jamie i
Holly
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great protagonist; loved the relationships. Good fun in a dark way....
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I was given this book by Transworld Publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you.

I am a big fan of Tamar Cohen's novels, her ability to dig into human emotion and interactions, exploring both elements of light and shade is exceptional. This book was one of those books that had the ability to make you feel so many things about the events happening within it.

The entire book is written over the period of a weekend, a weekend of a wedding and involves family and friends from
Kim
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, net-galley, kindle
I received a copy of this through NetGalley for review.

What a fantastic read. The book was set over the course of a weekend wedding where most of the guests were staying at the same hotel.

Everyone seems to have secrets or things they want to hide.

What is Fran's connection to the young groom- why is she seemingly distanced from her husband who everyone else thinks makes the 'perfect man'?

Their two daughters are also keeping secrets that come out over the course of the weekend.

sue
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WOW what a journey.

What a web we can weave when we first set out to deceive. The thing is, Fran was deceiving herself as well as those around her.

Fran struggled with her past, the things she thought she had dealt with, the things that remained hidden, but blasted to the fore thought of her mind..........when she didn't want it to be there.

Fran was a person you could very much relate to. It could have been you, it could have been me.

Many times we think we have 'dealt' with something when wham! i
Janet
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Many thanks to the author, publisher and Netgalley for the ARC.

This is my second book I've read by Tamar Cohen, the first being The Broken, which I enjoyed immensely.

This of course is a different type of book, different genre altogether but a fairly enjoyable read. The whole book takes place over the course of a weekend at a friend's wedding therefore it's very much a character filled and driven book. The story is told from Fran's viewpoint entirely, the main protagonist, and she's a character I
Caroline
Jun 12, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

It is testament to Tamar Cohen's excellent writing that she was able to keep me interested enough to keep reading a book in which essentially nothing happens other than a bickering family attend a wedding, and in which I LOATHED the main character, Fran.

The author's sharp observation of character is excellent (this was one of the best features of her previous two novels, also, which I enjoyed far more than this one), and her ability to evoke time and place is very good.

There was a big
Yvann S
Jul 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Someone Else’s Wedding – Tamar Cohen – 2/10 (DNF)

From the blurb, because it's very cleverly done:
Mr & Mrs Max Irving request the company of:
Mrs Fran Friedman, mourning her empty nest, her lost baby, the galloping years, and a disastrous haircut.
Mr Saul Friedman, runner of marathons, avoider of conflicts and increasingly distant husband.
The two Misses Friedman, Pip and Katy, one pining over the man she can’t have, the other trying to shake off the man she no longer wants.
At the marriage of th
Eva
Mar 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2015, 1-2-stars
*spoiler-alert*. The book started really good. The build-up of every character is well done. But then the truth about Fran and Jamie revealed and I was so so so dissappointed. For soms reason I couldn't finish the book. The fact that he is her son feels like a really weird way to keep people entertained and intrigued and for me it was a dealbreaker. I really hopes it was just your normal everyday affair... And to be honest, the sad stuff about Molly irritated me at times. Yes, it is awful and ye ...more
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was really excited about this book and could not wait for it to arrive. When it came through the door me and my sister looked at the cover as we like to discuss the covers of books. As it happens I received this book a few days before I got married, and the top of the wedding dress on the cover is very similar to my dress, and so we both gasped and had to hide the book pretty sharpish because my then-fiance was wandering around!

When all was safe I jumped at the chance to start! I admit, I had
Anne
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I adored both of Tamar Cohen's previous novels; The Mistress's Revenge and War of the Wives and was very much looking forward to seeing what she would produce next. It's quite difficult to say that an author is a 'favourite' with only two novels to their name, but Someone Else's Wedding has confirmed that yes, Tamar Cohen is right up there as one of my favourites.

The author is skilled at dissecting relationships, a theme that runs through her novels quite clearly. No more so than in Someone Else
Shaz Goodwin
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
From the moment that Fran wakes alone in the hotel room to that final page, we’re taken through those hours, from 8am Saturday to 7pm Sunday with the undertow of emotions colouring interactions.

With Saul and Fran appearing to be opposites, I wondered what had first attracted them to each other. Saul is pedantic and routine led whereas Fran seems to just flow. When we understand Fran more from her experiences as a child and then teen, it’s obvious the pull Saul had for her.

There is one thing that
Sharon Chapter One, Page One..
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fat * * * * from me!

Someone Else’s Wedding is an enjoyable read that takes place over two days at a wedding.

Tamar Cohen brilliantly draws the reader in and cleverly presents us with some surprising twists as we read on. The characters are plenty and varied but written in well so we’re not overwhelmed with information.

Having read Tamar’s fantastic “War of the Wives” previously, this author is definately one I will eagerly watch out for.

An engaging, enjoyable read.
Heather Withington
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tamar Cohen is fast becoming one of my favourite authors, and this is based on the fact that I found this book to be her weakest so far. We follow our cast of characters over the course of a wedding that takes place over a weekend. We watch as characters find out secrets about each other, as they try and maintain a façade that everything is ok while at this wedding. It should be noted that there is a serious warning in place for in-depth descriptions of a mother losing her child at birth.

If I'm
Astrid
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another page turner from Tamar Cohen, who has fast become one of my favourite authors. The twist in this book was fantastic and I did not see it coming.

James Irving is getting married to Lucy. The book documents the day leading up to the wedding, the wedding itself, the after party and the picnic the next day. It's told through the eyes of Mrs Fran Friedman who has been invited to the wedding, along with her husband Saul and their two daughters Pip and Katy. Fran is harbouring a secret throughou
Joy
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read several books by this author now and she is definitely growing on me. I listened to the audiobook (as is my usual practice) and this one was excellently done - the voices used for all the different characters definitely brought it to life in a very realistic way (quite a feat for one narrator to render individual male and female voices so well) ... I was able to build up a clear mental picture of everybody.

The main character is annoying, self obsessed, selfish, but not enough to detr
Danielle Dent
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Debbie
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an intense and brilliant book. The story of familial relationships, secrets and endurance. A well told story that went back and forth between the past and the present seamlessly without the need for chapters to be titled to reflect that. Such passion in the telling that I actually felt like I was there routing for certain characters. A twist that I didn't see coming that bought the whole story together and made me reassess the persons involved. Would definitely recommend this book to others
Sara Eames
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A poignant yet brilliant book that deals with a lot of difficult issues in a sensitive, believable way. The main action of the story takes place over a weekend when the main protagonists are attending a wedding. There are a lot of twists and turns along the way to a dramatic finale. Although a lot of the subject matter was difficult, I still enjoyed this book and would recommend Tamar/Tammy Cohen books.
Marie Connolly
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book ..caught me out a few times along the way !! Would definitely recommend ..read it in 4 hours ..
Hannah Manser
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my third book by this author and didn’t disappoint. Excellent pace, intrigue, character development and brilliant twists. Cannot wait to read more by Cohen. Highly recommend.
Storm
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Ever been obliged to go to a wedding when you'd really rather not? So has Fran. Let the misery ensue...

This book was a nice easy read from the get go, and I found myself very quickly liking the style of writing – an hour by hour account from our leading lady, Fran, and feeling deeply sorry for her; not only for all the misery she has had to endure in her life, but for how painful she anticipates this whole wedding weekend will be. Things got really interesting though, when I discovered some grea
Cleo Bannister
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, womans-fiction
Having thoroughly enjoyed Tamar Cohen’s debut novel The Mistress's Revenge and more recently her foray into psychological suspense with The Broken I was keen to see what her third novel, Someone Else’s Wedding had to say for itself.

Tamar Cohen has a quite distinctive writing style which is full of observational humour and so the setting is perfect, after all there are very few occasions with such a rigid structure full of so many people who probably wouldn’t otherwise be in the same room.

This bo

Publisher - Double Day

Source - Shop

Blurb from Goodreads

Mr. & Mrs. Max Irving request the company of:

The two Misses Friedman, Pip and Katy, one pining over the man she can't have, the other trying to shake off the man she no longer wants.

At t
Roz ~ My Written Romance
You can read my other reviews at My Written Romance.

I was provided with an ARC of this book by Transworld Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

My rating: 3 out of 5

This was a difficult one for me to review. I began Someone Else's Wedding with a great sense of anticipation - the blurb had an air of something very interesting for me. Even though this book falls into the women's contemporary fiction genre as opposed to my usual romance, the hint of drama had me intrigued.

Howeve
Kooky
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-womens
ARC from Netgalley
Welcome to the wedding of Lucy and Jamie, The book covers the wedding hour by hour from the perspective of Fran. Who Fran is to Jamie we don't know, loosely Fran, her husband Saul and their daughters Pip and Katy are described as friends of the family.Throughout the book we are fed titbits of information, just as the fleeting thoughts pass through Fran's mind, as events trigger memories for Fran. We never quite learn everything, and it seems the family don't know everything unt
JudithAnn
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a good women’s contemporary story with some unexpected serious undercurrents. Fran, the main character, tells the story in first person. She has a husband that she’s not close to any more, and a daughter with a married lover and another daughter who can’t stand her boyfriend any longer (he’s at the wedding, too).

Hour-by-hour, from Saturday morning until Sunday evening, Fran tell us what happens. No, she doesn’t get (much) sleep. She’s obsessed with Jamie, the groom, and he with her. His
Mel
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Someone Else's Wedding begins with Fran waking up in a nondescript hotel room to find her husband Saul has disappeared for a run in training for an upcoming marathon. Fran and Saul are stuck in a marriage of routine, that has disintegrated further since the death of their newborn daughter. Fran however, has an emotional connection with Jamie, a man whose wedding they have travelled to to celebrate. The nature of their relationship isn't revealed until the latter part of the novel, and for me is ...more
Maggie
This author is new to me and was recommended at our book club so I picked up a couple of her books while at the library.
The story covers the entire wedding weekend of Jamie and Lucy, who exactly Jamie is we don't find out until much later in the book. Basically i'ts a story about relationships and secrets, the main characters are Fran and Saul and their daughters Pip Katy and Molly with various wedding guests thrown in.
The writing is good, the story line kept me guessing and changing my mind con
Jan
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
The Friedman family, Fran, Saul and their daughters Pip and Katy, have been invited to celebrate the marriage of James and Lucy. Fran and Saul appear happily married but have been distant from each other since the loss of their surprise’ baby. The daughters appear equally happy but one wants a man she can’t have, while the other wants to get rid of a man she has. Their happy family image slowly unravels and secrets are revealed over the three day wedding and Fran is shown to have a creepy attach ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 16, 2015 10:13AM
  • Rebound
  • Pieces of You
  • The Runaway Wife
  • Not Without You
  • Bitter Fruits (DI Erica Martin, #1)
  • Skeletons
  • Friends to Die for
  • My Map Of You
  • How We Met
  • The Other Me
  • The Songbird Girls (Detective Tom Fabian #2)
  • Tastes Like Fear (DI Marnie Rome, #3)
Tamar Cohen is a freelance journalist who lives in London with her partner and three teenage children.