Start by marking “The Dreamer: The Consequence of Nathan Hale, Part 1” as Want to Read:
The Dreamer: The Consequence of Nathan Hale, Part 1

The Dreamer: The Consequence of Nathan Hale, Part 1

(The Dreamer #1)

Beatrice "Bea" Whaley seems to have it all; the seventeen year old high school senior is beautiful, wealthy and the star performer of the drama club. And with her uncle’s connections to Broadway theater, the future looks bright ahead of her. Little does she know that her future might actually be brighter behind her.

Bea begins having vivid dreams about a brave and handsome

Published 2011 by IDW (first published November 12th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Dreamer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dreamer

Start your review of The Dreamer: The Consequence of Nathan Hale, Part 1
Lora Innes
Apr 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book in print! Although if I had the time, I'd definitely like to go back into the earlier issues and fix some things, overall I'm very happy with it! It was a huge accomplishment for me and I'm so excited to get my copy in print!

Most of my favorite comic books artists' style evolved over time, and it's interesting to go back and look at their earlier work. I'm hoping this will be the case with The Dreamer, as it really did take the first six issues to work out all of the kinks
Margaret Carpenter
you mean my obsessive reading of webcomics can actually count towards my goodreads reading goals?! win!!

but seriously, lora is a genius. bye.
Michael
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally a web comic penned and illustrated by creator Lora Innes. It made quite a splash and was eventually picked up by IDW. You can still read it free on her website and the project is still ongoing. Personally I never get the same buzz from reading a comic from my computer rather than having the pages in my hand. This book collects the first 6 issues and follows the romantic fortunes of Bea Whaley, a modern day high school student who has finally broken the ice with the boy she's crushed o ...more
ضحى الحداد
my first time reading a webcomic .. it was a nice experience .. I think I will continue with this :)
Bry
I met the artist/creator for this series at Anime Boston 2012 was instantly attracted to the art work, and her enthusiasm for the story as she was describing it to me so of course I had to start reading it immediately!

*****

After reading the first volume worth of this delightful webcomic I can totally say without a doubt that it is adorable and I love it. Seriously. I am enjoying each issue more and more.

The story centers around Beatrice "Bea" Whaley - a normal semi popular girl, who is into th
James Mourgos
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantics & history buffs
Shelves: sci-fi
The Dreamer captures the history of Revolutionary War figures---Captain Nathan Hale, Lt. Col. Thomas Knowlton, General William Howe and Private Frederick Knowlton---with richness and accuracy, and throws in a high school love story, too. We see so much written in books and in the movies about other American wars but not a lot about the American Revolution, the most important event in our history!

Bea is a student in high school with all the anxiousness, gossip and silliness that goes with the tit
Mike
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mike by: Webcomic Wonderland Group
This trade collections the first six issues of the webcomic The Dreamer.

Beatrice has all the normal seventeen year old worries: her-not-so-secret crush, paying attention in class, her close yet annoying cousin, and the vivid lifelike dreams of being in the middle of the Revolutionary War and in love with a handsome soldier...

Bea's life gets more and more complicated as she becomes more involved and obsessed with events in her "fantasy world." The concept is great and the time shifting is a very
Becky
Oct 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew that Innes had me completely hooked when I had my first dream about the American Revolution, despite the fact that, as an Aussie, I've never learned much about the subject. I think that my own dream was somewhat of a mish-mash of what I've picked up from The Dreamer and what I learned about the American Civil War in my senior Modern History class. Oh dear. Sadly, my dream was also not nearly as exciting as any of Bea's.

You don't need to be a history buff to enjoy The Dreamer, but most cer
Caleb
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
It's Twilight, but with patriots instead of vampires!

No, I've never even read Twilight. Here's what I have to say about this book for reals:
Jessika Santulli
Cliffhanger! Oh, this was so good. I think it's my favorite graphic novel ever.

Beatrice Whaley is your basic average 17-year-old girl whose goal is definitely not to save the world. She has a good group of friends, love of the dramatic arts, and workaholic parents. Things are looking up for her when she nails the lead role of Juliet and her 4-year crush Ben finally asks her out. But Bea really couldn't care less about these victories, because she's in love with a Revolutionary War soldier.

The ni
Sarah Black
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Short, but sweet.

5 stars, nothing to fault about it.
Quick and enjoyable read.
Looking forward to more of this comic.
Totally would recommend to people whom are in a reading slump.
Gwinny
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say except that I love, love, love every single thing that Lora Innes puts out. She really is the BEST. If you haven't read her Dreamer series then begin with this one. You will be hooked right away!
Michelle
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A neat way to include some history into comic so that it reaches more comic readers.
Amanda
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This is fun and very swoony if I can make that a word.
Alicia
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story, easy to follow and quite interesting.
Katie Llwyd
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed it. Some of the artistic choices (font stuff) annoyed me but over all great illustrations.
Gretchen
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Building curriculum for US History course - getting a class set for 2021
Nicola Mansfield
Dec 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reason for Reading: this book is a cybils award nominee.

Summary: Bea Whaley, 17, wakes up one morning after having a dream where she meets and kisses a young man. They are both dressed in old-fashioned clothing and when Bea awakes the dream feels so real. So real in fact that she can't get it out of her head all day. The next night she picks up her dream where she left off and figures out that she is in the American Revolution and the man is Allan Warren part of a military group called the Knowl
ALPHAreader
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘The Dreamer’ is an online comic created by Lora Innes, which has recently gone into publication with IDW and is now available for purchase from Amazon.

Innes used to draw for Nickelodeon, Mattel and Simon & Schuster, among others, but now devotes her time to this fabulous online comic.

I discovered ‘The Dreamer’ about a year ago, and now my Friday is not complete without my ‘Dreamer’ update. The online comic is currently into its 8th issue, with each issue being between 25-28 pages long with a we
Charles Hatfield
In this historical fantasy, a contemporary high school girl finds herself transported in dreams to the time of the American Revolution, where she falls for a handsome young soldier and interacts with versions of historical figures such as Nathan Hale. The story ping-pongs between waking life (high school) and the Revolutionary dreamworld, which becomes increasingly vivid and compelling to the heroine, so much so that her romantic and social relationships in the present become stymied. I could ha ...more
Alexandria Brim
In this graphic novel, teenager Beatrice Whaley is your typical Bostonian teenager. She tries out for the school play, hangs out with her friends, gets nervous around her crush and sleeps through class. Except she has weird dreams. Very vivid weird dreams.

She dreams she is back in the Revolution, a prisoner of General William Howe. She is rescued by a young Continental officer named Alan Warren, who seems to be a friend of hers. Or perhaps more of a friend. He brings her back to camp where she
Lizzy Seitz
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 out of 5 stars

The art I really like, the story is a smudge implausible but it teaches a lot about history at the same times
Kristy K
This is the first graphic novel/comic book I've read, and if more of them are like this, it definitely won't be my last. I've debated reading a comic before (mainly because I love the Marvel arcs), but have always felt overwhelmed by the options and didn't want to commit to the research I felt it'd involved. Goodreads itself actually recommended The Dreamer comics to me, and when I checked it out, I saw the author offered it free on her website. (which is awesome btw)

The Dreamer has so much to o
V.E.
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary: Bea has been having strange dreams that are so vivid that they seem real. In her dreams she involved with a handsome soldier Alan Warren who is a ranger in the Revolutionary war. Even though they are distracting her from her everyday life Bea plunges into a dreamworld that blurs the lines between reality and fantasy. With romance, adventure and danger are they just dreams or something more? Add a dash of real life romance and the everyday struggles of school and friends Bea soon finds h ...more
Jennifer Theriault
I don't think this is for me. Between the heroine, Beatrice, being an "average high school student" (why are they always in high school??) and her friends being Basil Expositions at every turn, I just can't get into it. Also, people's reactions just aren't realistic. Her (male) cousin gets super pissed off for a pretty dumb reason and seems way too involved in Beatrice's business. I don't know about anyone else, but my male cousins cared <0% whether I asked my crush out or not. My female cousins ...more
Vonze
The American Revolution fascinates me. It's romantic to think about the days when America was struggling towards its independence and the dreams of freedom we still put hope in today.

Although I like The American Revolution as a setting...there's not a lot of historical fiction, romantic or otherwise, about this time period. There's some books for young readers like American Girl. And there's the old Swamp Fox tv series from Disney. But that's about it.

So, I love that this graphic novel is set in
Sam
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the wonderful opportunity to meet Lora Innes at Ohio Comic-Con 2014 and I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I let out a squeal of delight. I had started reading The Dreamer online a while ago, and for whatever reason I stopped, even though I really enjoyed the storyline and the artwork. But, having the chance to meet her and buy the bound copies of the first three volumes directly from the writer/artist/creator...well, you can't exactly pass that up.

So...I re-read all of Vol. 1 and it was
Liska
Jul 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrea
This is the first graphic novel that I have ever read. My brother has been trying to convince me that I would like this genre and found the perfect place for me to start. As a historian focused on the American Revolution - I LOVED THIS STORY! It was the perfect blend of realism (like the references to CATO, for instance), historical accuracy (although Bea's period undergarments were not quite correct), and fantasy. I've always been enamored by the colonial/revolutionary period, while understandi ...more
Kayla
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
After seeing a write up in RT Magazine about Lora Innes’ The Dreamer comic I was very interested – I’m a History buff and enjoy reading graphic novels. I ordered Part 1 of The Dreamer comic from Amazon and was drawn in within the first page.

The comic follows 17-year-old Beatrice “Bea” Whaley the average high school student who suddenly starts having vivid dreams of the Revolutionary War. Most prominent in her dreams is a solider Alan Warren, a member of Knowlton’s Rangers. These dreams boarder t
« previous 1 3 next »
Webcomic Wonderland: Featured Webcomic: February - The Dreamer 9 11 Feb 20, 2013 11:20PM

• One Dead Spy
  • You Never Forget Your First: A Biography of George Washington
  • Treaties, Trenches, Mud, and Blood
  • Dragon Hoops
  • This Was Our Pact
  • Worse Than Weird
  • The Littlest Voyageur
  • Never Caught: The Washingtons' Relentless Pursuit of Their Runaway Slave, Ona Judge
  • Baseball in April and Other Stories
  • Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War
  • Three Cups of Deceit: How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way
  • Modo: Ember's End
  • Flying Lessons & Other Stories
  • CatStronauts: Mission Moon
  • March: Book Three (March, #3)
  • Max and the Midknights
  • War Stories
  • Stargazing
Lora Innes's The Dreamer began as a webcomic in 2007. IDW Publishing has released two volumes of The Dreamer which have been nominated for three Harvey Awards including Best New Series and Best New Talent for Innes herself. In 2010 The Dreamer was a finalist in the Graphic Novel for Young Adults category in the CYBILS Awards, and it won the 2009 S.P.A.C.E. prize.

Innes also co-hosts the Paper Wing

The Dreamer (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Dreamer Volume 2: The Kipp's Bay Affair