Start by marking “How We Feel” as Want to Read:
How We Feel

How We Feel

What can a brain scan, or our reaction to a Caravaggio painting, reveal about the deep seat of guilt?

How can reading Heidegger, or conducting experiments on rats, help us to cope with anxiety in the face of the world's economic crisis?

Can ancient remedies fight sadness more effectively than anti-depressants?

What does the neuroscience of acting tell us about how we feel emp
Published August 1st 2013 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about How We Feel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How We Feel

Carolina
É muito giro e interessante durante o primeiro capítulo e metade do segundo. A partir daí começa-se a perceber que é sempre a mesma coisa, há alguma palha pelo meio e muitos lugares comuns (o que não esperava de todo num livro de um neurocientista!) e o entusiasmo reduz significativamente.
No geral o livro não é mau, mas ler os diferentes capítulos (raiva, ansiedade, amor, culpa, etc) só tem interesse quando atravessamos essas emoções em específico porque o autor não tornou, na minha opinião, o s
Bernie Gourley
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those seeking insight on the neuroscience of emotions.
Frazzetto’s book tells us what neuroscience can and can’t tell us about seven core emotions: anger, guilt, anxiety, grief, empathy, joy, and love. Doing so puts the neuroscience of emotion into a broader context of art, philosophy, the humanities, and the legal / political domains. Most often this serves to make the book more interesting by offering stories beyond the case files of neurologists and neuroscience researchers, but it does result in occasional editorializing.

The book consists of se
Tania
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Πολύ ωραίο, δύσκολη γραφή, επιστημονική. Το προτείνω.
Michael Moseley
Feb 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an interesting scientific look at the bran and some of the science of how we feel. The source and the method to which the brain uses and controls emotions. Some interesting bits from the book:
Kant’s ‘innate morality’ Morality Intergrated in biology or behaviour pattens that demand regulation.
Networks for emotions rather than regions. Anxiety is the interest paid on troubles before it is due William Ralph Image. Perhaps I should read W H Auden’s poem “The Age of Anxiety”
What is the diff
عبدالرحمن عقاب
ما يدفعني لقراءة مثل هذا الكتاب هو بحثي في المشاعر البشرية وكيفية تداخلها مع عملية التفكير وإصدار الأحكام.
والكتاب من هذه الزاوية جيد بعمومه يحتوي بعض المعلومات المهمة والمثيرة غير أنها منثورة بين كم أكبر من الكلام الفائض عن حاجة القاريء برأيي.
وتتفاوت فصول الكتب من حيث أهمية الطرح وعمق تناول الفكرة على الرغم من تساوي عدد صفحاتها بشكل أظنه مفتعل. فعني لقراءة مثل هذا الكتاب هو بحثي في المشاعر البشرية وكيفية تداخلها مع عملية التفكير وإصدار الأحكام.
والكتاب من هذه الزاوية جيد بعمومه يحتوي بعض المعل
Bron
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I think it must say something about me, rather than this book, that I steamed through the chapters on negative emotions but stalled on the one entitled joy. The author is a.neuroscientist and explains what is going on in the brain when we experience different emotions so it's science, not self help. But he also writes very engagingly about his personal experiences so it's nowhere near as dry as you might expect. The people I feel huge respect for are those who volunteered to recreate various emo ...more
Stephen Palmer
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
An interesting read, for sure, and well written, but some things to be disappointed with: trotting out the formula that emotions affect reason (ie negatively), and the usual stuff about crying as a state of "confusion" and "paralysis", when actually the opposite is true. Also, an empty, bland and very disappointing final chapter. But full marks for teasing out the importance of the communicative quality of emotion. A welcome book, then, but one to argue with.
Sukanta Hazra
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology, science
Good subject and attempt at explaining the neurological basis of our feelings, however, on the whole I didn't find it a bit lacking in depth. The chapters start off well and are interesting in the beginning, however, the matter becomes dry and peters out quickly. Could make it more interesting by better illustrations and engaging material.
PeterB
Jul 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting. I knew a fair bit about the subjects he covers especially Wittgenstein, Brecht, Caravaggio and Heidegger, however it did give me a bit of insight into how some people's minds may work. I now have my friends pegged, but I don't really care since I'm obviously a psychopath ;)
Kamran
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting, if you are interested in the subject
Andy
Jul 14, 2014
kareem
Dec 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Giovanni Frazzetto grew up on the South-East coast of Sicily. After high school, he moved to the UK to study science at University College London and in 2002 he received a PhD from the European Molecular Biology Laboratory in Heidelberg. In his work, Giovanni connects literature and science. He has contributed to the international magazines Nature and Science and has written for Haaretz, the Irish ...more
“Love is, above all, insanity.” 1 likes