Start by marking “The Reunion” as Want to Read:
The Reunion

The Reunion

They thought they'd be friends forever.

Jen, Andrew, Lilah, Natalie and Dan were inseparable at university, but in the seventeen years since they left they have hardly seen each other. Until Jen invites them all to stay at her house in the French Alps. The house where they once spent a golden summer before tragedy tore them apart.

When a snowstorm descends, they find
Published September 12th 2013 by Arrow (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Reunion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reunion

Start your review of The Reunion
☼♄Jülie 

This story reminded me of the movie The Big Chill...which I loved...only I think this is a bit more complex in the relationships and history behind each of its characters.
The theme is very similar, though rather than meeting up for a wake, this story revolves around a group of friends reuniting at an old, previously very loved but now badly neglected country manor in France, where they had all spent a summer together seventeen years previously.
During that summer stay a tragic event befell them
Liz Barnsley
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to the author, publisher and netgalley for the copy of this novel.

This is the second book I have recently completed that made me cry. Floods of tears in fact. Again, a story of family - this time a
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
Amy Silver is one of my favourite authors for women’s fiction and I don’t think that her books get nearly enough attention as they deserve. If you enjoy character driven stories about realistic, and at times difficult, topics then Amy Silver is the author for you – I love unravelling the messy tangle of her characters’ lives! The Reunion is moving and compelling and it makes a nice change of pace from the happy festive reads that you can find in abundance at this time of year whilst still being ...more
Kara
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't think I'm going to try to write a full review. There's nothing I can really say to do justice to what all this made me think and feel.

In short, this book tells the story of a once inseparable bunch of friends, who, in a whirlwind of tragedies, insecurities and betrayals, come to find themselves alone. But while the story is technically about these distinct characters, it's really about all of us. How we can't let go, how, despite the things we tell ourselves we do/don't need, most of us
Katie Babicz
Oct 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Having read all previous books by Amy silver this book is a departure from her normal style. I liked many aspects of the book like the reflective emails and letters however I gave up caring about the characters half way through. I found that in general the plot was interesting but somehow I just didn't care as much as I thought I should.
Bookevin
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review originally on www.iheart-chicklit.blogspot.com

I have never tried any of Amy's previous books, but according to the lovely Gillian Holmes, women's fiction at Arrow, they are funny, warm stories which will make you fall in love with its characters. However, Amy Silver has now reformed herself as a writer, writing about deeper, more complicated things, she has gone over to the "dark side" and let me tell you, she's brilliant at it!

The Reunion follows the story of six friends, bonded by their
Lisa
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you pick up a book and from the very first sentence know that you are going to engage with it. This is one of those books. I really loved it. Yes, it's been done before; yes, it probably is quite predictable in parts but it is also very moving and compelling; it totally gripped me and I couldn't put it down.

Jen, Lilah, Natalie, Dan and Andrew were the best of friends at Uni but after events 15 years earlier they grew apart. Now they are back together in Jen's French house in the middle
Georgina
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read any of Amy Silver's previous novels, however from reading their synopsis and comparing them with The Reunion it seems as though Amy Silver has taken a turn in her writing. Her previous novels seem like more fun light hearted reads while the reunion takes a more mature storyline and deals with emotion, tragedy and friendships changing over the years.

The plot is told through three sections; the reunion of the six friends, the events of the past and then what happens after the
Best Crime Books & More
The synopsis of this sounded great and I was really looking forward to reading it. Jen and her University friends haven’t seen each other for years, and quite a few of them would rather it stayed that way. However, Jen has other ideas and they friend all meet in Jen’s home in the French Alps. It’s clear from early on that things are not going to be plain sailing and it makes for ver easy reading. It was a little bit slow in the beginning but necessary to really get to know all the people and ...more
Any Length
May 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
I wasn't that wrapped in this book. It was too long and contained way too many issues between these friends which all needed to be wrapped up in a tight little bun before the book could finish. The format was interesting interspersing current text with old letters and emails from the past.
The reader(I had the audio version) didn't help either. She read the book like she was reading a fairy story to a bunch of pre-schoolers at the library.
Leanna (daisychainbooks)
A well-written study in long-term friendships and the tangled webs they weave. Reminded me of one of my favourite TV shows - This Life (and its ten years later reunion!) If this book was a movie, it would have the best 90's soundtrack!
Stacey
Jan 25, 2015 marked it as to-read
I just read that The Girl on the Train (#%*!ing BRILLIANT) author, Paula Hawkins, wrote under the pseudonym of Amy Silver for some time. Anyone know if THIS Amy Silver title is a Paula Hawkins novel?
Renita D'Silva
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Adored this wonderful book. Could not put it down. The characters, their emotions were beautifully handled. I also loved the structure of the story, the way it was told, the way the back story was revealed to us, via small, tantalizing glimpses. Will definitely be reading more of Amy Silver.
Anna
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book but I wanted it to finish about 100 pages before it did. Totally different sort of story than her writing as Paula Hawkins.
Natalie
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2,5-3 Stars
Trish at Between My Lines
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews-done
The Reunion is a lovely saga about friendship. How friendships can go badly wrong. Sadly the realistic truth is that the deeper the friendship was, the bigger the rift can be.

My Recap :

The Reunion does exactly what it says on the can. It sets the stage for a reunion of college friend who have drifted further and further apart. Will getting together in a familiar setting be what they need to get back on track?

My thoughts :

The plot of this book isn't unique. I can think of half a dozen books with
Amy
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing about this book that I did not love.

Well, that's not entirely true. A couple of the characters do things that I don't like all that much, but I understand why they act as they do. Yes, I wish they didn't, although the "why" behind their actions makes sense.

I loved this book. Loved, loved, loved.

The premise is not unfamiliar: one character gathers a group of friends to say farewell. In this case, the gatherer is Jen, who is selling what she and her friends call the French house.
Bex
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
You can tell from the cover of Amy Silver's The Reunion that you are in chick-lit city. In the present day, Jen is trying to organise a gathering of her best friends from university at her family's house in the French Alps. However, as is revealed in a series of flashbacks, letters and emails — mostly in the mid-1990s — the group members are estranged because of tragic circumstances. There were six of them in the group at university: Jen, her boyfriend Conor, Conor's best friend Andrew, blonde ...more
Katey Lovell
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Having previously enjoyed Amy Silver's other books, I had been waiting with anticipation to read The Reunion. A bit more grown up in both style and subject matter, I was keen to see how her latest offering compared to the successful One Minute to Midnight and All I Want for Christmas.

The Reunion is the story of six friends. Jen, Conor, Lilah, Andrew, Nat and Dan were exceptionally close at university, and thought it would always be that way. Now, nearly twenty years later, they are all
Angela
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Reunion is so much more than a story of old friends — Conor, Jen and Dan, Andrew and Lilah and Nat — coming together.

It’s about all the ways we think we love one another – freely, unconditionally, conditionally, out of guilt, with pity. It’s about memories that scar us, change us, move us forward, and hold us back. It’s about guilt, sorrow, forgiveness, and asking for forgiveness.

The Reunion shows how people find their way out of the past and into a new future while remaining part
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a hard book for me to rate: it was better than a 3 star read but not quite up to 4 stars. It's the story of a group of friends who have been close since their late teens. Conor and Jen are an item, as are Andrew and Lilah. Natalie is Lilah's best friend and Dan is the 6th member of the group.

One summer when they are all 24, they are staying together at a house in the French Alps. There is an accident and Conor is killed. This fractures the group: Jen loses contact with them all and
Jo Barton
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Five friends from university meet for a get-together in an idyllic farmhouse in the French Alps. Caught up in a snowstorm and reunited for the first time in nearly twenty years, the dynamics of the group are about to be tested to their absolute limit of endurance. It is obvious that their friendship has survived heartbreak and tragedy; however, there are still unresolved issues from the past which must be faced before any of them can find resolution. Older and maybe a little wiser, the group of ...more
Jaen
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book, truly tantalizing. I read it twice - the first time I could barely put it down, read through it in one go, the second time I took my time, read it chapter per chapter and processed everything I read properly before going on with the story. I can't say which was the better way to do it because both have their perks but I guess if you truly want to value the story and the characters, then you have to take your time and savour the words.
The title basically gives away what this
Samantha
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Beach book readers
Shelves: 2013-books
Give me an "ensemble" style book that reunites a group of old friends who have been divided by a "terrible" event in the past, and I am SO there. Unfortunately, my passion for these "Secret History" / "Topics in Calamity Physics" style novels, often leads me to be disappointed... such as in the case of Amy Silver's "The Reunion."

As a fan of this "genre", I typically can overlook the predictability of the characters (the rebel, the goody-two-shoes, the creative), and it's what often draws me to
Alyson
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I DID like this book, mostly, but there were niggles and little doubts that prevent me from giving it a rave review or 4/5 stars. It's hard to say what those niggles are though.
I think I started off thinking some of the dates weren't right and then spent the rest of the book checking them....
Also I found some of the characters a little too artificial/stereotypes to fully like eg Lilah.
There was also a silly red herring of a drop of blood on the stairs at the beginning of the book.
The way the
Joanne
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amy Silver is the pen name for Paula Hawkins (Girl on the Train) - The Reunion is a story of a group of friends from university days and how their friendships/relationships cope with a tragedy and how years later the consequences of their decisions and actions affect all their lives. I loved the characters in this book they felt so real.
Birgitt Krumboeck
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I did not know that Paula Hawkins (Girl on the Train) had written this book as Amy Silver.
I greatly enjoyed it and it made me want to read more by the author. I wonder how much of this is autobiographical?!
Richard
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I read The Girl on the Train and wanted to try another of the author's books. Much here is formulaic and trite, and I thought constantly about The Secret History, but overall I'd say this is an enjoyable and engrossing read - though not a transformative one.
Kym
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book - it kept me hooked through out and I it definitely brought a tear to my eye on several occassions
Andrea
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Initially starting off like a typical chick flick with stereotype characters it turned to be much more than that! I was gripped from the start and it left me thinking!!!

• Sizzling (Buchanans, #3)
  • Tempting (Buchanans, #4)
  • The Dead Ex
  • The Girl on the Cliff
  • The Lavender Garden
  • Une putain d'histoire
  • Irresistible (Buchanans #2)
  • Island of Lost Girls
  • How I Lose You
  • Dampfnudelblues (Franz Eberhofer, #2)
  • Tisha: The Story of a Young Teacher in the Alaskan Wilderness
  • The Teashop on the Corner
  • Keep Your Friends Close
  • Schweinskopf al dente (Franz Eberhofer, #3)
  • Daisy in Chains
  • Sauerkrautkoma (Franz Eberhofer, #5)
  • Grießnockerlaffäre (Franz Eberhofer, #4)
  • Leberkäsjunkie (Franz Eberhofer, #7)
Amy Silver is the pen name of Paula Hawkins, a writer and freelance journalist who has written on everything from the diamond trade to DIY dog grooming. She lives in London and has a penchant for vintage clothes and champagne cocktails, but she always pays her credit card bills on time.

Paula Hawkins has just published the new suspense sensation "The Girl on the Train" under her own name.