Start by marking “Hermelin: The Detective Mouse” as Want to Read:
Hermelin: The Detective Mouse

Hermelin: The Detective Mouse

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  354 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Hermelin is a noticer. He is also a finder. The occupants of Offley Street are delighted when their missing items are found, but not so happy to learn that their brilliant detective is a mouse! What will happen to Hermelin? Will his talents go unrewarded?
Published February 27th 2014 by Jonathan Cape (first published September 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hermelin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hermelin

Kaethe
An Educated Rodent, in this case, a literate mouse, solves a number of minor mysteries in a street of houses. There is also a clever child covering the mysteries and their resolutions. A Holmes and Watson coming together. Amusing and fun to spend time on the pictures working it all out.

Library copy
Leilah Skelton
Be still my heart. Here is one of those once in a blue moon, beautiful, timeless, memorable, heart-warming stories that you’ll want to read over and over and treasure. You might even find a small person to share it with. I’m certain that they would love it too.

Hermelin is a smart little mouse with a flair for typing and a knack for solving mysteries. It is not long before his detective skills have been put to use to help every resident in Offley Street. He may be small in stature, but he is huge
Nola
This is a charming book. Hermelin the mouse lives in the attic of a house in Offley Street. One day he spots some cries for help on the community noticeboard. There's a missing cat, goldfish, reading glasses, handbag and other possessions. He decides to investigate the disappearances and reunite the owners with their treasures. He communicates with them all through typewritten notes and they don't know he's a mouse until he turns up to a party held in his honour. Will they accept him as one of t ...more
Tasha
Hermelin is a mouse who lives in the attic of Number 33 Offley Street. His attic is filled with books and boxes and a typewriter that Hermelin uses to write with. When Hermelin notices that the Offley Street Notices board is filled with people missing things, he knows just what he has to do. So he starts working as a mouse detective and solving the mysteries of Offley Street. He does this by noticing things and then leaving typed notes for the people to help them find their missing items. Then w ...more
Barbara
Born in a box designed for cheese, Hermelin makes his home in the attic of 33 Offley Street. The residents are very busy individuals, and Hermelin decides to put his wits to work in solving several small mysteries for the human inhabitants of the building. He sees notices seeking lost objects and pets, and proceeds to quickly type out notes informing their owners of their whereabouts. The grateful residents throw a party in his honor, hoping to meet this wonderful detective, but only one of them ...more
Carol
This book is so cool! I love how the illustrations have tons of details, you could find something new in this book every time you read it. The story is really funny and sweet too. The ending left it open for a sequel which I hope is going to happen.
Caryl
Skye: "I like how the details on the first pages are clues to help you solve the mysteries." Felix: "I like it because it's a mouse. Mice are sneaky!" Mini Grey is always a hit in our house. Love her illustrations!
Sara Grochowski
After making his home in the attic of an apartment building, Hermelin, a small mystery-solving mouse, notices the building notice board covered with notices of missing items. Hermelin sets out to help return lost items by writing notes to the various apartment tenants, helping to recover a missing bracelet, purse, teddy bear, and more. When the tenants throw a party in the mysterious Hermelin's honor, he's touched, until the attendees scatter in a panic at the sight of a mouse. When Hermelin dis ...more
Read  Ribbet
Mini Grey has been such a clever author/illustrator through the years. In Hermelin, she breaks from her often fractured fairy tales and adventure tales to take on a mystery with Hermelin the mouse detective at the center of the story. In an amazing opening layout, Grey creates all the visual clues a reader needs to help solve what emerges as a series of mysteries on Offley Street. In comes the curious, observant and literate mouse Hermelin who solves them all. His literacy and problem solving sk ...more
Denis Vukosav
‘Hermelin the Detective Mouse’ made by Mini Grey is entertaining and nicely illustrated book for children that brings a story about Hermelin, a special mouse who when not eating cheese transforms into real Detective and solves actual mystery cases.

On the beginning of story, young reader will meet Hermelin who lives in the attic of Offley Street Number 33. His apartment is obviously full of boxes and books, but also one typewriter was found for which Hermelin will soon found the purpose.

Given tha
Amy Musser
There’s a lot of mysterious stuff happening on Offley Street. Good thing Hermelin’s around to use his mouse-y detective skills. He solves the mystery of the Lost Glasses of Dr. Parker and the Dramatic Rescue of Baby McMumbo. But how will the neighbors react when they realize their celebrated sleuth is a rodent? This romp of a mystery is chockfull of humorous narration by Hermelin and delicious visuals clues hidden in the mixed media illustrations. Try leaving it lying around and let elementary s ...more
paula
Love this. Sharp-eyed kids will solve the mysteries alongside Hermelin. Detailed illustrations have that sort of Brett Helquist-y old-fashioned detail thing going on, with sweet antiquey collage elements. And Hermelin himself is the most sensitive, intelligent, and stylish mouse since Stuart Little.
Diane
The people of Offley Street need help! And Hermelin is just the mouse for the job. With his trusty typewriter, he helps all the people solve the little mysteries in their lives. He even helps them rescue Baby McMumbo. All it takes is a keen eye and good communication skills. But when they want to throw a thank you party for Hermelin, things go awry. He's met with the "blood-freezing scream" of MOUSE! and he is forced to flee. He is devastated to find out that they think he's a "pest." But there ...more
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-1st grade

A delightful introduction to mystery stories, Hermelin the mouse finds he is quite apt at finding lost things and helping out the people of Offley Street. The tid-bit stories are inviting and great for older picture book readers/listeners but the plenitude of mysteries means they are short and don't allow room for investigation.

Also, the story is not entirely about solving mysteries. When Hermelin is invited to a party in his honor he scares the residents of Offley Stree
Ruth Ann
Delightful book about a mouse who can read, write, type and solve mysteries!

Hermelin lives in an attic on Offley Street and happens to see a bulletin board where human residents of Offley Street have posted notices of lost things like –

• A missing gold fish
• A diamond bracelet
• A beloved goldfish
• Reading glasses
• A black leather bag containing life savings!

Hermelin thinks to himself: “Great heavens! Just LOOK at all these lost things! These poor people of Offley Street need some HELP!” Hermeli
Liz
Hermelin is a most unusual mouse. After making a home for himself in the attic of Number 33 Offley Street, he discovers a typewriter. One day, he notices the message board where local residents have left notes about their missing jewels and pets. Suddenly, Hermelin is on the case! He returns the missing items to their rightful owners with typed notes, but no one knows where to find this mysterious detective. When the residents search him out, will they accept a mouse as a their friend and helper ...more
Margie
How can you not want to read this book over and over again? How can you not want to share it with everyone you meet? Hermelin the Detective Mouse as told to Mini Grey (written and illustrated by Mini Grey) depicts a heartwarming hero putting others' best interests first. He not only saves the day but is saved by someone who recognizes his potential other than the dictionary definition of mouse.

My full recommendation: http://bit.ly/1rp4JMm
Karen Arendt
A fun story to share. Hermelin is a mouse born in a cheese box. He is quite intelligent and can type. He solves many mysteries at 33 Offley Street until the tenants realize he is a mouse (after invinting him to a party in his honor for helping them find their missing items. He doesn't understand why that is a problem until he researches and finds that mice are vermin. But, the story does have a happy ending when Hermelin finds the perfect partner.
Venus
Review originally posted on Children's Atheneum

Hermelin is a noticer. He is also a finder. He is also a mouse. The occupants of Offley Street are delighted when their missing items are found, but not so happy to learn that their brilliant detective is a mouse.

Perhaps it was The Great Mouse Detective that has given me a small soft place for detective mouses, but I absolutely loved this story. It was cute, memorable, well-drawn, that can be read over and over again. There was so much going on eac
John Garrigan
Age recommendation: 6+

I really hope this is the start of a series about Hermelin and the cases he solves. He's been a detective for the residents of Offley Street, but they don't know he's a mouse. When they throw him a party to celebrate his accomplishments, how will they react? The story is cute, and sets up future adventures nicely. The best part about the book though is the art. It's done in a colorful collage style, almost Dave McKean-esque, and features an adorable lead.
Mary
A clever story, rich in visual detail, about a detective mouse. Hermelin easily solves the neighborhood's mysteries, but when they discover that he is a mouse, their gratitude changes to revulsion. There is a happy ending, but it would have been nice to have the neighbors publicly recant their previous opinion. Maybe that's for the sequel; I would enjoy reading more about this extraordinary mouse.
Jess
What a surprise! I picked it up on a whim and was simply delighted by this story. I loved the subtle picture clues on the opening page and the mix of illustration and font/text to help tell the story. Sometimes these types of books can make for difficult read alouds, but the layout of this one makes the story easy to follow. I have a feeling we will see more from Hermelin
Emyrose8
Make sure you read the first two pages carefully!

The set up of this book has lots of little chunks of words spread around the page. I had a bit of a tricky time focusing on them, making sure I got all of them, but I was skimming it at the library trying to decide if I should borrow it or not. I'm sure if I took more time it wouldn't be as confusing.
RachelAnne
Huzzah! A picture book mystery with all the charm, subtlety and humorous detail Mini Grey does so well. Hermelin is a personable little white mouse who watches the people on Offley Street through a pair of cereal box prize binoculars. Observant readers will enjoy poring over the illustrations for clues-- including the tantalizing hint of a sequel!
Louisa Jones
Wonderful illustration as always, we're firm fans of Grey's Tractionman books too. I bought this (even though my boys are a little old for it) partly because my younger son is obsessed with mice and partly because I just want to collect all her books. We all enjoyed this together and will again and again, brilliant.
Dolly
May 30, 2015 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
This is an entertaining story about a mouse detective. The story is mainly comprised of small blocks of type, notes, and dialogue and it's a bit difficult to read aloud. But the details in the illustrations are what really bring humor to the tale. We enjoyed reading this book together, despite the format.
Tracie
Hermelin uses his special talents (reading and writing) to anonymously solve mysteries on Offley Street. But when his neighbors learn that Hermelin is a mouse, Hermelin's good deeds aren't so welcome anymore.

Another fun adventure with a humorous touch from Mini Grey.
Lynn
I love the importance of writing inherent in the story, and different types of writing for different situations.
I wonder why the people never realized the importance of the mouse, and came to respect him. I was hoping it would be an opportunity for people to accept that not all rodents are pests.
Nice to use for point of view.
Mary
This is a fun story that can easily be turned into a role playing game for older children. There is a lot of text on each page, so it would be best for a 1-on-1 read instead of a group storytime. It reminds me a bit of the Ratatouille story, and it has a happy ending.
Marcie
I couldn't read this without thinking of Archie and Mahetibel and Detective LaRue. Still wonder if kids will know what author is talking about with the typewriter. Lots of great point of view discussion and does require a bit of energy. Mostly fun.
  • A Library Book for Bear
  • Gaston
  • Three Bears in a Boat
  • Hug Machine
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
Traction Man Is Here! Three by the Sea Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon Toys in Space