Start by marking “The Waking World (The Future King, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Waking World (The Future King, #1)

The Waking World (The Future King, #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The Island is in peril. For years, bloodthirsty Marauder pirates have raided along the coast, carrying off goods and cattle. Now they're growing bolder, striking further inland, even taking slaves to man their black ships. An invasion is underway.

As the son of a wealthy Law, young Aran should be safe. The underground farmstead of Hawk's Cross lies miles from the sea, and e
Published October 3rd 2013 by David Fickling Books

To ask other readers questions about The Waking World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Waking World

Gemma Fasheun
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Normally I would have given 5 stars but because the author rely his story on other popular myths like King Arthur and his sword Excalibur. It's been long since I've read a book with good plots and I would recommend it to anyone who loves reading about battles and fantasy stories.
Jasmine Kelley
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: King Arthur History Lovers
Recommended to Jasmine by: The Library
This book is incredible! The start, I admit, was a bit slow but once you got to the third chapter, it just kept getting better and better. You do expect some of the "twists" but that's only because Tom Huddleston (ARE WE GOING TO TALK ABOUT HOW GREAT HIS NAME IS?!) hinted a lot at them.

I love how he set it and without spoiling, it does relate to King Arthur without you really meeting him. If that makes sense.
Fi
I nearly gave up on this one, a rare DNF, and was going to send it back to the library (mostly) unread. I am so glad I didn't because I ended up loving it!

What I would like to know is where's the next book in the series? Because it can't just end like that...
Caroline
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fiction
An excellent read. Good adventure story, strong characters. Modern Arthurian story set in a post apocalyptic Britain. Can't wait for the sequel to come out.
Svenja
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was ok

Man, this was exhausting. I really had to force myself to finish this.

First of all, a general question to most fantasy authors: Are you aware that the best and most important part of a fantasy book is to write your own world? You can leave out all the bad parts of our real world and write a better one, so why does no one ever do that?!

Obviously, every important character in this book is male. Most of them are power hungry and incredibly unsuited to being in charge of other people (and t
SJH (A Dream of Books)
'The Waking World' is a futuristic Arthurian tale on an epic scale. It's set in a future society which is completely unlike the one we know today. The Earth has been ravaged by pollution and climate change and the people live as they did in the past, surviving off the land. The story is set at Hawk's Cross, the home of Aran, the main character in the book. He is one of the sons of a wealthy Law but the Island on which they live is under attack from the invading Marauders. Aran is desperate to pr ...more
Emma
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Callum (Year 11)

This is an Arthurian adventure/fantasy novel set in a post-apocalyptic alternate future. 1000 years after a shift in climate patterns and the pollution of the Earth’s atmosphere, the world has practically returned to the middle ages. Our hero, the young boy Aran, peacefully resides on the Island as the son of a wealthy lord. But his tranquil life is soon endangered as the Marauders, ancient enemies of the Island people, prepare for attack. Aran is sucked into a devasta
I. Black99
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I have always enjoyed reading stories surrounding the Legends of Arthur and the Knights of the Roundtable and Merlin the Wizard. I think it started after seeing Disney's The Sword in the Stone. And my interest about Arthur spurred on from there.

In Tom Huddleston's debut novel, The Waking World, we are thrown in to a dark future without order, chaos flourishes as blood-craving, murderous Maurauders rampage and loot the local farmsteads off the coasts. But never have they been driven or brave eno
Sam Whitehouse
A hugely enjoyable high fantasy with an interesting, post-apocalyptic world and a unique take on Arthurian legend. The first half of the book is a little slow, but it works well with building the world and characters before the second half kicks things up a gear and the plot twists and turns and twists again before delivering a rousing battle and an ending that finishes one story but sets things up well for another.
Highly recommended.
Rik
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it
An interesting mix of old and new; I particularly liked the way the religions were mixed up, and the king Arthur element weaving into the story. The central character was refreshingly 'normal', not some unbeatable super hero, though I was disappointed to find once again a story with a girl who is tougher than the boys.
John
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was hooked fairly quickly, the obvious Arthurian links being a key contributor. Good writing, interesting characters - but where oh where is book 2?
Joshua Winning
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fantastic, compelling read.
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
ok plot. got better as it went on. LACK OF DECENT FEMALE CHARACTERS = WHY??
Nikki
Ella Howard
Sep 02, 2018
Cathy Lai
Jan 24, 2017
I'm Tom Huddleston, author of fantasy adventure THE WAKING WORLD and episodes in the STAR WARS: ADVENTURES IN WILD SPACE series. I also write about film and TV for publications including Time Out, Sight & Sound and The Guardian, and I sing in a noisy folk-rock band called The No Sorrows.

I was born in Kendal and raised in North Yorkshire, where my first book THE WAKING WORLD takes place. I real