Start by marking “Just for Christmas” as Want to Read:

(Poldore #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,058 ratings  ·  114 reviews
Her best friend’s wedding...

When Alex Munro learns that the love of her life is getting married to another girl, all she wants is to be alone – and as far away from Edinburgh as possible.

Moving to a Cornish cottage, which comes complete with the world’s scruffiest dog, Alex finds that her new neighbours are determined to involve her in their madcap Christmas festivities.

Th
Published November 7th 2013 by Ebury Press (Fiction)

To ask other readers questions about Just for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just for Christmas

really liked it 4.00  ·

Nat K

This is a gorgeous book, and a lovely way to end the reading year.

Alex (girl nursing broken heart) leaves Grangemouth, Scotland for Poldore, Cornwall, where she meets Ruan** (boy nursing broken heart). Boy meets girl and misunderstandings abound. There is a delightfully smelly dog aptly called “Buoy” (as the story is set by the sea) who I loved reading about.

Set in the week leading up to Christmas, this is a calming, soothing story, that gently lulls you into reading for the joy of a simple sto
Simona
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I saw the book for the first time I was instantly drawn to it’s cover, it’s so beautiful =) Then I read the blurb and knew: I have to read this book.

It's a wonderful novel about Alex, who just went to the other end of England to escape from everything at home. With a broken heart and the lost of trust she starts her new life.
She meets Ruan and as a reader I instantly felt their connection. It actually took them much longer to realise it. They both also had other things to deal with, issues
Natalie
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Don't really read any chick lit but I was in the Christmas mood and thought why not when I saw this cheap. I was super surprised I enjoyed this as much as I did perfect for the Christmas feeling. But I liked that it wasn't all about Christmas. The romance was super cute and I liked how the romance develops slowly instead of the dreaded insta-love. I found some bits of this book really funny I was laughing out loud at bits. This book is a fun perfect read for Christmas will definitely be reading ...more
Rhia
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not very festive at all really but I still enjoyed the first half nevertheless.

Fiesty mutt, Buoy, was probably my favourite part of the book.

I found the whole thing with Marcus quite tiresome and there wasn't enough Ruan (and I was hoping to see more of his lighthouse)

The thing that annoyed me most was this attitude of Alex being sooo different because she doesn't wear make-up or high heels or fashionable clothes... and the way she looked down on Milly for having hair extensions and a fake tan (
Eva
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A perfect Christmas read!!! Unique story and characters you'll fall in love with
Ali Williams
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are a couple of things that made this novel really stand out for me. Firstly, Alex. Our heroine is feisty, stubborn and determined in life and her career. Far from a 'girly girl', she proves that chick lit heroines aren't always these models of perfection that the romance genre's critics denounce them as. I like my heroines with a bit of grit and with more than a few flaws.

But despite this, she's really sweet - never less so than when she discovers barmaid Lucy's secret (SPOILERS!). Lucy's
Karina
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trashy, adult-fiction
Anne
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’ll own up – I’m an absolute pushover for books set at Christmas, and look forward immensely to that time when the sparkly covers appear on the supermarket shelves (and the cover of this one is absolutely beautiful...). I also have to own up that Scarlett Bailey’s alter ego is one of my favourite authors – one of her books featured in my top ten of last year, and I’m looking forward immensely to her new one. These Scarlett Bailey Christmas outings are a little lighter – in previous years we’ve ...more
Cassandra
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this! Pleasantly surprised for a Christmas romance.

It was a very quick read, simple enough story. I really liked all the characters - although the whole thing with Marcus was a bit eye-rolling and in the way of the real romance. (view spoiler)The romance was good and lighthearted, it was
Julie Boon
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have had this book on my bookshelf for a while but thought I would read it as one of my first Christmas reads of the season, not realising it was about the same characters as in Two Weddings and a Baby! But I still read it and love the characters, especially Sue! and Buoy the dog is so funny with his ways! I really enjoyed this book and read it really quickly as found it quite "unputdownable!. Would thoroughly recommend it and hopefully everyone else will read it in the right order!!
Lauren Jackman
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read this while at airport and on plane to lanzarote ... Couldn't put it down ... I cried at the part where Buoy helps to rescue Ruan and when he is injured, a perfect read to pass by a few hours !! The chemistry between Ruan and Alex is great and the surprise visit from her mother was a nice touch . Would read future books by Bailey.
Adele
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous book inside and out. Within a few pages I'd fallen in love with the first character, Buoy the dog. I loved the setting if the story, it was very well described and you could imagine walking along the seafront. All the characters were written with warmth and humour. A great book to leave you with a warm, happy feeling. Thoroughly recommend.
Donna Irwin
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suddenly realised I hadn't got round to reading this at Christmas - I normally only read Christmas books at Christmas, lol. Then I bought the sequel so rushed off to read it... loved everything about it - Alex and Ruan and the background cast - and the dog of course!
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
So damn cheesy. I freaking loved it!
Susan Buchanan
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved it - fab story. I would have given it 5 stars, but there were lots of niggly missing words, which annoyed me. Couldn't fault the story, though - another surefire winner.
Katie Pearce
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book easy cosy read for winter nights deffo one to add to your Christmas reading list liked all of the characters although Alex best friend Marcus annoyed me a bit but by far my favorite character was buoy the dog 10/10 💗
Boo Donovan
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really lovely, easy read... Completely predictable but fun and romantic - fab!
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
“I don't know what it is about this place, it's almost as if as soon as I arrived all of my unresolved issues were magically resolved.”

Alex Monroe is running away. After embarrassingly declaring her love for her best friend at his engagement party, and discovering her father has lied to her for the past 25 years Alex laves her Scottish home and travels to the English coastal town of Poldore. Upon immediate introduction to the town, she is forced to adopt a stray dog, play the Virgin Mary in th
Agi
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, favourite
Oops, Scarlet Bailey just did it again. She just knocked me out of my feet with "Just for Christmas" which I have already put on my FAVOURITE BOOKS shelf.

The idea of releasing books as Scarlett Bailey "just for Christmas", or rather just before Christmas is great and I hope it will stay a tradition. Ekhm, a little hint for the author.

The book introduces us to Alex, who I have immediately fallen in love with and I want her to be my new best friend. Alex has just move to Poldero where she got a jo
Abbey
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Title: Just For Christmas
Author: Scarlett Bailey
Publisher: Ebury
Publication Date: 7th November 2013

Blurb
Her best friend's wedding...

When Alex Munro learns that the love of her life is getting married to another girl, all she wants is to be alone - and as far away from Edinburgh as possible.

Moving to a Cornish cottage, which comes complete with the world's scruffiest dog, Alex finds that her new neighbours are determined to involve her in their madcap Christmas festivities.

Then she meets her sexy
Sarah Davis
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I loved this. I bought it on a whim and read it in 24 hours, some of the best hours of my reading life this year.
I just loved these characters, loved the Cornish town, loved that the Christmas theme wasn't sappy or overdone. I sunk into this story so hard and didn't want to let go.
Let's start with the heroine, Alex. She was awesome. I loved that she stood up for herself but was also confused at times. She wasn't afraid to go after her future and treat herself with respect. Also, I loved w
Samantha
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have never read a Scarlett Bailey novel before and I am not quite sure how I have missed them! First of all I would like to say what a fabulous cover this is and it comes complete with glitter even on the spine of the book!

This story is about Alex, she lives in Scotland but is left heartbroken by her best friend who announces he is getting married and has fallen out with her dad. Mum left years ago and she doesn't have any other family, so she decides to apply for a job in Poldore, Cornwall.

N
Rea Cobb
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Christmas wouldn’t be complete without a book by Scarlett Bailey! This is by far my favourite cover of hers it is a perfect winter setting with its ice blues and the extra touch of glitter just adds that little bit of Glitz that will catch your eye on the shelves making it impossible to walk past without a copy falling into your basket!

Heartbroken Alex needs to get away from her life as she knows it so she can finally be herself. After a hidden secret comes to light and to top it off the love of
Fabulous Book Fiend
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review: what a fabulous festive novel! I was so excited about this novel and finally getting chance to read it was amazing! It was such a treat, full of drama and a fantastic storyline as well as a heartwarming message overall, just lovely! I was actually surprised at just how many twists and turns there were in this storyline, not everyone is who they appear to be and those doors which our lovely main character Alex thought were closed may not be as secure as she thought! It's so hard to go int ...more
Honeypie
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I didn't know I enjoyed this book as much as I did, when I learned that there are two more books after, about the other characters. It's a series! And I realized that what I loved the most are the characters. They're small-town folks, whom I've always love reading about (and wished a bit to be a part of). And also, their Christmas spirit is something that I liked, especially because it's not very outwardly, as some 'old and traditional' folks might be.

I also love that a dog played a very importa
PrettyFlamingo
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just for Christmas

A surprise in some ways, in a couple of others not so much. The first surprise is that Scarlett Bailey is in reality Rowan Coleman. The Summer of Impossible Things is my favourite book of 2018 and very different in content and delivery to this read. Rowan Coleman is an excellent writer and though the tone of this book is fluffier, the quality is the same. There is fun and depth among the fluff.

Set in a small Cornish town that is modelled on Fowey this instantly gets your atten
Glenda Steel
Nov 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not at all the book I was hoping for! Firstly the storyline was packed full of unbelievable scenarios and often serious topics were glossed over and treated so lightly it beggared belief as to why they were included at all. I also feel as though it was aimed at the early teen reader rather than adult. The Kindle edition was littered with typing mistakes and general errors that interrupted the flow of the story. For example a small dog we meet at the beginning of the book was later described as s ...more
Jasminn
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm so happy Buoy didn't end up dead after saving these 2 idiots in love.

Okay, firstly this was pretty good honestly. I had a fun time reading it, especially when Buoy was involved because he's such a character. Next, I wasn't too happy with the (sort of) love triangle but the way everything was written made me accept it. These adults were sensible (mostly) and they were able to communicate effectively to solve their problems (eventually). What I liked a lot was how everyone in the community car
MetLineReader
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, from-kindle
A bit of light relief after a heavy novel
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Happy Housewi...: Just For Christmas 1 5 Nov 16, 2014 07:59AM

• Home for Christmas
  • Calling Mrs Christmas
  • Winter Wonderland (LoveTravel #10)
  • Last Christmas
  • Wish Upon A Star
  • Christmas at Carrington's
  • A Winter Flame
  • The Parisian Christmas Bake Off
  • Christmas at Rosie Hopkins’ Sweetshop (Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop, #2)
  • Christmas at the Crescent
  • Kiss Me Under the Mistletoe
  • Last Christmas
  • A Vintage Christmas
  • When I Fall In Love
A lover of Christmas, romance and old movies Scarlett wrote her first Christmas romance 'The Night Before Christmas' in 2011. Her second novel 'Married by Christmas' and a digital novella 'Santa Maybe' are out now.

Poldore (3 books)
  • Two Weddings and a Baby
  • Secret Santa
“...and Alex stood. Awkwardly. Praying for any sort of distraction that would mean she didn't have to keep up the awkward standing thing.” 0 likes
“Never compare a man to a kitten," Ryan told her, smiling. "We don't like it.” 0 likes