Start by marking “Solstice Magic (A Calgary Stampede Adventure, #1)” as Want to Read:
Solstice Magic (A Calgary Stampede Adventure, #1)

Read Excerpt

Solstice Magic (A Calgary Stampede Adventure, #1)

Read about the magical world of cowboys, rabbits, and Ukrainian goddesses that unfolds when Zo’s gruff baba from Ukraine arrives with her savage Caucasian Ovchorka dog. The ensuing chaos of clashing cultures catapults the characters into the extreme sport of rodeo at the Calgary Stampede. There, Vince Lapin, bull-rider extraordinaire, meets up with Susie Lago, protégé of Z ...more
Published April 1st 2013 by Dollison Road Books (first published March 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Solstice Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solstice Magic

Courtney
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Courtney by: Goodreads Giveaways.
Zo Luki and her family live on a farm in Alberta. Zo is a rabbit hopping competition enthusiast (think agility trials for dogs), and is anxiously awaiting the day when she will be able to get a rabbit of her own. Her chance comes on a trip to town with her mother, when it's decided that a pet will help Zo adjust to the impending arrival of her Grandmother, Baba Dolya. Baby Dolya is coming from the Ukraine to Canada to live with them.
Dolya arrives with an unexpected companion, her dog (a Cauca
Will Muir
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Before I start this review there is something I must confess. I am in no way a country boy, nor am I fascinated with the South. I know, being from a small town in southern Indiana that might come as a shock. I just have two things to say, first to all my fellow citizen of southern Indiana you are not part of the South, so stop acting like you are. The second thing I would like to say is that I am a city boy at heart.

I have been on a few farms in my time, and some of them were lovely place. It ju
Roderick Mcgillis
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Solstice Magic is the first in a series of books by Jean Stringam set during and around the Calgary Stampede. The book is inventive, witty, thoughtful, and surprising. Just imagine a teenage girl living in rural Alberta; she has a pet rabbit that she trains for hopping competitions. Her paternal grandmother, newly arrived from the Ukraine, is sour and mean; she also dislikes the pet rabbit, a creature she dubs “vermin.” Granny (Baba Dolia) has a huge dog, a Caucasian Ovcharka (a truly huge breed ...more
Zoe Brooks
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: magic-realism, ya
This review first appeared on the Magic Realism blog - http://magic-realism-books.blogspot.com

This is a book for young adults, and I would probably put it at the lower end of that age range. Zo is at senior school but, despite a bit of a crush on her friend's brother, is mostly interested in training her rabbit to compete in hopping courses. I also think therefore that it is unlikely to appeal to boys.

I suppose it should be said here that I am not a young adult and haven't been one for a very l
Elaine Walton
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Solstice Magic and am happy to give it five stars. As a harsh academic critic, I immediately noticed the quality of the writing. The well-crafted sentences provide deft descriptions of people, places, and events. The real pleasure for me came, however, when I couldn’t help laying aside my professorial screening lens and became totally immersed in a fascinating story. I concur with the comments of critique, Roderick McGillis: “The book is inventive, witty, thoughtful, and sur ...more
Susan
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Solstice Magic: A Calgary Stampede Adventure" is the first book in the author's new series. Jean pens her plot around the Calgary Stampede, teenage romance, family, relationships and rabbits. Her characters are strong and well developed interweaving them between the human and animal world. A true work of art that kept me captive and should be on every fantasy lovers TBR list.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the author which was provided for an honest review.
Kathy Dickinson
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful & fun story about rodeo life,& solstice magic. I enjoyed this book very much. Though this book was meant for a younger crowd I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was lucky enough to win this book at Goodreads.com & advise every one to read it from young people to older people such as myself. Thank you Mrs. Stringam for picking me.
Linda Peters
Oct 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an informative book about rural life in Alberta. Love the fact that the Ukranian culture was profiled and explained so well. Have recommended this to friends to read as it was very enjoyable.
Jenea Spinks
Aug 25, 2013
Jean Stringam
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Patricia Vermillion
Barry
Holly
Cassy Lieberman
Mar 21, 2013
Jean Stringam has worn many hats, from piano teacher to English professor and from member of SAG to member of SCBWI. Born and raised in Alberta, Canada, she has lived in France, China, England, and half a dozen US states. Her definition of home is wherever the people she loves happen to live. Jean says stories are wonderful because you can live everywhere you can imagine and be anyone you can envi ...more