Start by marking “El jesuita: conversaciones con el cardenal Jorge Bergoglio” as Want to Read:
El jesuita: conversaciones con el cardenal Jorge Bergoglio

El jesuita: conversaciones con el cardenal Jorge Bergoglio

Pese a que conocer el desarrollo de una elección papal no es una tarea fácil porque está rodeada de un gran secreto, la prensa especializada coincidió en que el argentino Jorge Bergoglio fue el cardenal más votado después de Joseph Ratzinger en la elección que consagró al purpurado alemán como Benedicto XVI. Nunca antes un latinoamericano había cosechado tanta cantidad de ...more
Paperback, 1st, 192 pages
Published 2010 by Vergara, Grupo Zeta

Start your review of El jesuita: conversaciones con el cardenal Jorge Bergoglio
Maria
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an easy introduction to the new pope with interviews from before he was pope. There is a lot of focus on Argentina, but the book also touches on his personal history and his thoughts on the Church. Provides many beautiful quotes that provide a lot of food for thought.
Emily Fuentes
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting to hear his thoughts and perspectives on a variety of subjects, and how his life experience formed these. Definitely worth reading!
Stuart
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pope Francis - Conversations with Jorge Bergoglio was the only biography available at the time of the papal election. However, in my opinion, it is the closest thing to an autobiography you will read about our new Holy Father. Each chapter starts off by providing the reader detailed information about various times or instances in Pope Francis' life. Then, there is my favorite part - a question and answer session.

The book begins by discussing Pope Francis' grandmother and the story of why the
James
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I initially came across this book at a neighborhood supermarket, shortly after Francis's election. I assumed it was a rush-job, an insubstantial work, thrown together to satisfy the desire of the public for information on the new Pope. But as I thumbed through it I learned that Francis had been a friend of Jorge Luis Borges, my favorite writer, so I added it to my 'to-read" list, although I didn't come across it in the library until early this year.

The book was originally written in Spanish and
Horia Bura
This book is interesting and revealing for the personality of the one who was chosen as the new Pope in 2013. In his own words, Jorge Bergoglio appears to be a modern, XXI century clergy man, characterized by a great open mindedness towards sensitive issues such as abortion, pedophile priests, celibacy or the role of the Church in this new century. Moreover, this series of interviews taken when he was still a Cardinal don't omit some personal facts in the life of the interviewee, such as his ...more
Jenn
This was a good interview. It gave me a peek into the character of our latest Pope. There was a lot of content that was specific to Argentinian politics, but that's probably due to the timing of this interview.
Dina
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's kind of good, i liked some parts, but still i think he talks too much about Argentina, if you're not familiar with what happened i think it's a bit boring and it can be a bit too much about the country, instead of talking about his life or pov that is what i was looking for. Nevertheless, it was a good read.
Liz Cloos
I really wanted this to be a good book, but it was only ok. Although I enjoyed the periods of the book where the author add narration, the interview portions felt stiff and dry. It is nevertheless an interesting book in case you want to learn about Pope Francis's past.
Davis Haguma
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful insight into the mind of Jorge Mario Bergoglio, now Pope Francis. A deeply spiritual man as well as an astute and wise leader. Totally recommendable.
Judy
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He's not a perfect pope but he is relatively progressive and caring.
Marinda
Fascinating look at the life of Pope Francis.
William
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, catholic
This book compils a series of interviews by two Argentinian journalists with then-Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, the then-Archbishop of Buenos Aires. The book was originally published in Argentina in 2010 with the title El Jesuita ("The Jesuit"); as the title of the book indicates, Bergoglio was elected Pope in 2013. The interviews do help you get a real sense of what the man is like, although they are set in the context of the political, economic, and cultural situation of Argentina. Many of the ...more
Julie Salinas
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a Catholic. But, I am very interested in this Pope because of his actions which are very humble, perceptive and thoughtful. This book is very interesting because it is not the words of a Pope, but of Jorge Bergoglio the archebishop of Buenos Aires, in conversations with the authors and fellow Argentinians; Sergio Rubin, a journalist and Francesca Amrogetti, a journalist and social psychologist. The questions are pointed at times, but the answers are from the heart and not rote dogma.
You
Don
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
included may exclude, key to social question is work, imitate Christ pain as blessing a limitation a cross to resurrection life as testament to faith bear witness with cheerfulness no sad saints, serve as love for others, be understanding and impartial, commend yourself to God, education as balance with safe zone and danger/unknown zone to make safe and known, language of head heart hands, schools not fighting for same goal, patience as continual learning experience prodigal son’s father ...more
John
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book mostly consists of an interview conducted before Jorge Bergoglio became Pope Francis. As Bergoglio was not yet the leader of the worldwide Catholic Church much of the discussion focuses on issues of especially grave importance in Argentina. The issues of political instability and extreme poverty reflect many places in the world and readers outside of Argentina and South America could learn a great deal from these issues. Bergoglio also talks about issues that have become "hot topics" ...more
Ellen
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, memoirs
Pope Francis is exactly what the Catholic religion needs right now. Intelligent, compassionate, selfless, he is an ideal leader for a Church that at its core is based around loving others.

This book is a series of interviews conducted with Pope Francis before he was elected pope, when he was Jorge Bergoglio, Archbishop of Buenos Aires. It covers a variety of topics- personal, religious, and political. The parts that spoke to me most were the more personal, the way that Pope Francis himself views
Andrew
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, culled
As always, reading prelates and popes in their own words is more interesting than forming an opinion from a media narrative or their homilies. The Pope's nature really shines on these pages. You get the sense that there is no artifice or naivete about the man. The only thing holding back me back from five-stars is the inevitable comparison with the four volumes of Pope Benedict's interviews. They were a masterclass in distilling a great intellect into comprehensible answers, and my taste simply ...more
Anne
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a quick read, and you may have seen excerpts and memorable quotes in the media coverage post-conclave. But I have a particular fondness for these interview-style Pope books. I always feel like I'm actually sitting with the Holy Father, getting to know him and enjoying the process. There is a lot in this one about the political climate in Argentina, which may not interest some readers, but I enjoyed hearing then Cardinal Bergoglio reflect on all of these situations. You do get a good feel ...more
Christopher
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice easy read that carries plenty of depth. I enjoyed the conversational style of the book, and the clarity with which Bergoglio's thought is expressed. I appreciated the broad expanse of questions posed, though I would have benefitted from more background information about the social and political history of Argentina in the 20th century. Having read more recent writings by Pope Francis, I was impressed by their continuity with the ideas and perspectives expressed in this series of ...more
Monica
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This was a very interesting look at the life and the personal views of the current Pope Francis, growing up in Argentina, how he ended up becoming a priest and what he thinks of the situation in Argentina - which like many places is going through an economic crisis and it's past with military huntas.

Pope Francis comes across as a very introspective man with many wise things to say and also a good heart with a desire to be inclusive.

It's not a biography as such, but it does give the reader an
Cathy
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a series of interviews that were done when Jorge Bergoglio was Cardinal in Argentina. They give a good view of the kind of man he is and more importantly what kind of leader he is. My impression of him has only improved after reading it. And I must say it was very high to begin with!

I think Pope Francis will be wonderful for the church especially at this trying time. He is just what we need.
Jon
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great because it shows a side of the Pope not covered by mainstream American media. It's also great because it's very pastoral. It also fills in a wide variety of minor details behind the Pope's life and values, which helped me understand--much better--his acknowledgment of scandals within the Church, as well as his guiding principles for such encyclicals as Lumen Fidei & Evangelii Gaudium
Mike
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parts of the book delve into the politics of Argentina which some may not enjoy. I felt it provided insight into this new Pope and his view of the world and how it relates to the Church. Most of the book relates to his own spiritualism and his thoughts on the Catholic Church today. I like this new guy very much!
Jake Larson
There are a few good pieces of wisdom from Pope Francis while he was in South American but more than two-thirds of the book was very specific to Argentina, its history, and his role in and feelings towards that country. Unless you really know that country's history, it's a little confusing what is being talked about.
Jill
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am certainly not a Catholic, but this was just a great book. This guy has a lot of great things away---I especially liked his views on forgiveness and hope for the future. Highly recommended to anyone- regardless of religious affiliation.
Greg
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected. There was a great deal of political questions from the author to Pope Francis concerning Argentina and it's political state. I expected more of what Pope Francis did in the past and his focus and approach to the Catholic faith in the future.
Sho
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An honest account giving us a better look into the everyday concepts as they are understood by the then cardinal Bergoglio with a dash of that well-known humor (that Tango must've really done something). Felt very light to read.
Martha
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very revealing of this thoughtful, humble Pope. On work and the unemployed: "They don't feel like they exist. No matter how much help they might have... They want to earn their daily bread... at the end of the day, work anoints a person with dignity."
Jonas Stephan Johnson
Good day all is well this is i faith a good book a splendid story through His Holyness Pope Francis biography through a splendid person god blees really have it good.
Bob Ayres
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent insight into the relational, evangelical, compassionate heart of Pope Francis.

• 棋王樹王孩子王
  • The Name of God is Mercy
  • Building a Bridge: How the Catholic Church and the LGBT Community Can Enter into a Relationship of Respect, Compassion, and Sensitivity
  • A Man Named Dave (Dave Pelzer #3)
  • Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog
  • Suntem ce sunt amintirile noastre
  • The Ego and the Id
  • Cum se savurează un tablou și alte studii de istoria artei
  • Silence
  • My Name is Number 4
  • The Lost Boy (Dave Pelzer #2)
  • L´aubaine d´être né en ce temps: Pour un apostolat de l'apocalypse
  • Quake
  • Lost Treasure of the Emerald Eye (Geronimo Stilton, #1)
  • The Fires of Spring: A Post-Arab Spring Journey Through the Turbulent New Middle East - Turkey, Iraq, Qatar, Jordan, Egypt, and Tunisia
  • Hitler Youth
  • It's about More Than the Money: Investment Wisdom for Building a Better Life
  • Baroque and Rococo (World of Art)
“por temor a que éstas aceleraran las” 0 likes