Start by marking “No Such Thing” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176

Judi Coltman

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Newly divorced and ready to relaunch herself, Sydney Powell and her retired K9 move back to the city in which she grew up to write a book about the infamous underworld faction known as The Purple Gang. Having once lived in a house built and used by the Purple Gang to run liquor, Sydney takes the opportunity to rent the place, believing it will help her write the book.

Met w
Published November 14th 2012

To ask other readers questions about No Such Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Such Thing

Miranda
A good afternoon read with a touch of supernatural horror.

No Such Thing is loosely based on a real life event that happened in Michigan in the late 70's. Judi Coltman included an afterwards with information on the real event, which made the story I had just finished reading even more chilling.

I enjoyed the particular writing style of this book. Some parts were written from Sydney's perspective, other's from Jack's, still other's were written from people in the past, or a spirit's perspective. It
Judi Coltman
Nov 21, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
As A Quarter Finalist for the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award, Publisher's Weekly offered the following review:
ABNA Publishers Weekly Reviewer
Young boys are disappearing in Detroit, boys with no families or homes. Boys like Tim, who skateboards in a store parking lot nearly every day. But one Fall afternoon, this proves to be the wrong choice. The killer is never found, but this novel creates a scenario to explain what might have happened. Sydney, newly divorced, has come home to Detroit to writ
Brenda
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To say that this book was intense is an understatement! When I realized that it was inspired by actual events that occurred during the seventies I anticipated a good read, but was totally blown away with how the story unfolded! The measure of a good book in my eyes is how long I continue to think about the characters after I finish reading the story, and I must say I read this book three weeks ago and still think about the characters in this one.

Sydney Powell and her retired K9 dog Thor move ba
Candy
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently received this book from the author for review and the description was so intriguing that I started it pretty quickly. But this was a harder book to read than I anticipated. The writing is very vivid and the content is hard to swallow. It's not that it's even graphically written, I think at some point... it's what the author doesn't say that makes me feel a little ill. I think because it's inspired by true events makes it tougher.

That's not to say it's a bad book, in fact, it's very go
Mommasaysread

By Momma on March 23, 2013
No Such Thing

Truly a thriller with a rough start, I nearly gave up when suddenly it picked up the pace. I was definitely getting frustrated with the laying of groundwork. I really felt like it was overkill, I kept saying to myself “I get it; mom went crazy in the basement, you felt bad because you were rich get on with it”.

But then as if my pleading was heard the story really picked up the pace and ran off like a runaway train! This suspense chiller delivered in spite o
LouAnn
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book. I didn't want to put it down. Sydney moves back into the house she spent her high school years in to write a book about The Purple Gang, who ran liquor during prohibition. As she starts her research on them though, she runs into several interesting aspects of the house; hippie squatters, a murdered boy found close to the house. The more she researches she realizes her story isn't about The Purple Gang, but about the house itself and that her immediate family could be in ...more
Theresa
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder and patanormal

Murder and patanormal

This book was interesting from beginning to end.Based loosely on a true story with a paranormal twist added to it this book was highly entertaining.
Pam
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is one of those books that is hard to put down once you start it. Even though it is fiction, knowing some of the background behind it, and the sad story that Judi talks about makes it even more riveting.
Cheryl
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was ok
Becky
Feb 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fairly quick, fun read.
Charlie Hertel
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible book that really captures the time and place during a dark time for those of us who grew up in SE Michigan in the 70's. It's a page turner and a white knuckle thriller. READ IT!!!
Debbi
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling story I could not put down! Based on events from my past in Birmingham Mi.
Tonya
  • The River
  • Fancy Gap
  • Death Angel
  • The Note
  • Voodoo Daddy (Virgil Jones Mystery, #1)
  • Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
  • Dire Means
  • The Dark House
  • Devious: A 9th Circle Prequel Short Story
  • Arsonist (Jon Stanton, #4)
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • Righteous Obsession
  • Matanzas Bay (Quint Mitchell Mystery #1)
  • First Time Killer