Start by marking “From the Boots Up” as Want to Read:
From the Boots Up

From the Boots Up

Meg Tallmadge has more than enough on her plate. She’s finishing up a college degree, getting ready to apply to vet school, and working another summer with her dad, Stan, on the family ranch in southern Wyoming. He’s managed to get the Los Angeles Times to send a reporter out to do a story on the Diamond Rock, which doubles as a dude ranch. Meg knows the ranch needs all th ...more
Published March 8th 2013 by Amazon

To ask other readers questions about From the Boots Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Boots Up

Joc
This is my first by Marquette and I really enjoyed it. Meg is spending her summer vacation at home on the ranch helping her father with the guests who want a western experience. A reporter from LA is expected too and both Meg and her father hope the publicity will increase their business. Meg's first meeting of Gina is finding her in a parking lot changing her car's tyre.

Written from Meg's point of view in third person, this is really mostly about how Meg sees Gina. Meg has only recently come ou
Lex Kent
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, western, f-f
Not really too much to say then this was a quick very sweet romance. Pretty straight forward, no real angst, just a feel good story. It also had some pretty steamy sex scenes.

I've been dying to read Andi Marquett's sci-fi series, but it's out of print and off Amazon. She did mention on her blog, shes trying to re-publish it, so fingers crossed. It is obvious from From the Boots up, that shes a talented writer, it only wants to make me read her other books more.
Just thought I'd mention, I had a
Marilyn
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
The writing was outstanding. At the end, there is an absolutely poetic letter. I was disappointed there wasn't more interaction between the main characters. It may have simply been a function of the shortness of the book. I am definitely going to be reading more of Andi Marquette's full-length books.
Update: Now I see this is a prequel. I am definitely going to be reading "From the Hat Down". And I'm upping my star rating to 4 because I mostly marked it down to a 3 because I was disappointed it e
Megzz
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, soulmates
My God, how romantic. This was such a sweet story, it made me smile like a fool, it made my stomach do somersaults and made me sigh with envy.

Much like Meg, I fell in love with Gina right away. She's so beautiful, charming, smart, sexy, mysterious, flirtatious, confident, and overall so so so lovely. Meg is endearing in the most charismatic of ways. Their story is magnificent and incredibly romantic.

I love stories about love at first sight when it's done well. And it is, god it is. Andi Marquet
Ted
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this years ago. GR tried to tell me I didn't. So I figured I'd do a re read. Novella in length so it's a pretty quick read. Loved the MC's. Great story. And there's a horse or two. Done and dusted.
Erzabet Bishop
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian, cowgirl, ranch
Review:

This book hooked me right from the first page. Meg was a character that drew me in and I found myself rooting for her. In the book Meg has just come out to her father and feels torn between disappointing him and living the life she wants to live. When a reporter shows up to do the story and ends up being the woman Meg helped out with car issues, she is one cooked goose. Can she fight the attraction to the fiery reporter or give in to the feelings bubbling up inside of her?

A great read wit
Amy Withnall
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, lgbt, romance, women
Fantastic story, so good in fact I couldn't put it down, read it in one sitting! Very well written! Love the way the writer builds up the relationship between the two women during the course of the story!
day
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay
well i definitely relate to the journalist who just wants to get railed by a butch cowgirl
Monica Cullip
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
From The Boots Up
Andi Marquette
This story was gifted to me in exchange for an honest reveiw.
Meg Tallmadge is a twenty four girl working on her father's ranch helping him out. Diamond Rock Ranch is expecting a reporter to come and do a spotlight story on them and everyone is hoping for the publicity to help out business. While in town one day she comes across a pretty girl trying to change a flat tire and helps out while finding herself attracted to her.
Amazingly enough when the reporter shows
Ameliah Faith
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sweet romance on a Sunny Day

Its been a while since I could curl up with a sweet, mostly innocent love story. I have an extensive must read list but I needed some open spaces, horses and cowgirls. I remembered I had this book waiting for just such an occasion and pulled it up on my Kindle. It was just what I wanted!

The story was so sweet. It was easy so forget everything and just surrender to this tale. It is the perfect length to read on a lazy summer day, the sounds of cicadas in the breeze and
Mummy's Naughty Corner
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Book gifted from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Cover :- 3 stars

Book Pairing:- F/F
Did it give me a book hangover :- Yes
Is this a review book or personal read :- Personal Read

Why I chose this book?

I got the chance to loan this from an on-line Library.

What I liked about this book.

* It hooked me from the start.
* Although it's a romance rather then erotic it was sweet
Cheyenne Blue
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica, glbtq
Last night, I wanted to curl up with something romantic and sexy, something well written and with a good storyline. This popped up on my Kindle, and knowing Andi's work already, I downloaded From the Boots Up.

So very glad I did!

Meg lives on her family's dude ranch in Wyoming and is not too impressed at the thought of having to entertain L.A. Times reporter, Gina, for a week. But once Gina arrives, Meg falls hard. This was a page-turning story, with a raft of great characters. The Wyoming backgro
Kathryn
I really enjoyed this book and the sexy Gina character. Gina is a journalist from the L.A. Times that comes to Wyoming to write a story about the Diamond Rock ranch. Meg is the daughter of the ranches owner and meets Gina when she stops to help her change a flat tire and an overwhelming attraction sparks between the two women. By the writers description Gina is butch but I just thought of her as looking like Monica Bellucci and that made Gina HOT for me.
Lexxi Kitty
I feel kind of bad that I didn't really like this story. I kind of assumed I might like it but I was wrong.

The positives:
1) It is neat to see a story set in Wyoming. I'm fairly certain I've read at least one other story there, though I do not seem to have it marked as such.

The negatives:
1) It is/was neat that the story was set in Wyoming but . . . I had no sense I was in . . where anywhere in particular. Heck, for a short while I was happily reading along wondering when something descriptive ab
Jen
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
"From the Boots Up" is an F/F contemporary romance novel by Andi Marquette and is about an incoming veterinary student who's currently helping her father out by working on the ranch their family owns. This summer, a writer for the Los Angeles Times is scheduled to visit the ranch and write a piece on their experience there. It proves to be a summer neither of them will forget.

Meg Tallmadge is 24 and, aside from wanting to become a veterinarian, loves spending her free time at the Diamond Rock, h
LVLMLeah
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it

I’ve only read one other of Andi Marquette’s books, Some Kind of River, and I really liked it. From the Boots Up also is a cute, warm and fuzzy feel good love story. While it’s not a deep book, the author still managed to convey quite a bit about both protagonists.

You know all those feelings and fears, butterflies in your stomach, racing thoughts about words and actions that could be taken in different ways, and all that awkwardness that happens when you have an attraction to someone but are not
Terry Baker
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Meg Tallmadge is home from college for the summer at her dad, Stan’s ranch, Diamond Rock in Southern Wyoming. She’s just finishing up a college degree and is hoping to get into vet school.

Meg has to be on her best behavior. A reporter from the Los Angeles Times is due to arrive to do a story on the workings of the dude ranch. Meg isn’t looking forward to looking after a big city reporter for a week.

When the reporter scheduled to do the story cancels, Meg and Stan worry the ranch won’t get the p
Lissa
Meg has country in her bones; her family has been in Wyoming for generations, and she grew up on the family ranch. Studying to be a veterinarian, Meg spends her breaks with her dad, helping him run the dude ranch experience that keeps him afloat and the property in his name. A reporter coming from Los Angeles to do a write-up about the dude ranch seems like a good idea, although Meg isn't too sure about having a city slicker tailing her for the better part of a week. But Gina is different from w ...more
Erin
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
For St. Patrick's Day Andi Marquette offered her novella, From the Boots Up, free to readers and I am so glad for this introduction to Marquette's writing. From the Boots Up was a fun romp at a Wyoming dude ranch that had me wanting to get on the internet and sign myself up for a week and I'm not even a horse person. I think it is probably Marquette's gifted ability to bring a location to life through her words and style is what made me start considering such a notion. Overall, the setting of th ...more
Kimberly Mitchell
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
A touching story, about a girl who grew up on a ranch. Her mother left, she is only with her father and the employes of the ranch.

She is a college student, who wants to persue her career in vet medicine.

She is a lesbian, but once she told her parents, her father does not like to talk a about it. And her mother left and now belongs to a church where being gay is a sin.

She is home for the summer. The ranch opens up to customers who want the western experience. They usually stay busy. But during o
Danielle Goodwin
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Andi Marquette's “From the Boots Up” is a great F/F short story. It's sexy and sweet. I wish it was longer, I could have done with more of their story and maybe a few more sexy scenes. I really like the characters – Meg and Gina are a hot couple. The setting is great too – gotta love a lesbian cowgirl story! Reminds me of that old joke... A cowboy walks into a bar in the big city and he sits down next to a woman at the bar. The woman doesn't look quite like the ladies from his neck of the woods, ...more
Margaret
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: l-words
This was a really sweet read - and, for a novella, had surprising depth of character.

There are some seriously swoon worthy but believable moments and, even though the romance is slow build, the pay off is worth it.

Slight spoilers: (view spoiler)
Avery Rose Rose
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ah. This book was the second I've read from this Author. It was soft, sweet, and slow. Although the book was short, surprisingly there was absolutely nothing missing from the story. I got a full view of the characters, an adorable set of interactions between Meg and Gina and some sweet romantic scenes to boot! It was everything I could have asked for from a sweet romance. Also, just another awesome read from an author who is approachable and present for her fanbase. I am hooked!
Alena Gocnikova
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg why does it have to be so short?

Andi Marquette has a way with words. I knew it already, ever since I read the Far Seek trilogy. This story I devoured so fast it made me spin... and burn for more, like the protagonists for each other. I'll definitely read more from the author.
Bett
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a charmer, but who doesn't like cowgirls and boots, horses and mountain backdrops and riding the range and falling in love, or lust, maybe both. Better when it's both. Yep. Howdy, ma'am.

Then move on to the sequel, From the Hat Down, because goodness comes in pairs.
BDSM newbie
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-f, favourites, kindle, r2r
I really enjoy this book. It sucked me in from the start and I just couldn't put it down. I loved the seduction and character development. This is a great lesbian read for those that don't like the more erotica books.
Peggy
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
**ARC FOR HONEST REVIEW**

A humorous romance to say the least! Hard working cowgirl left to run a ranch. Andi Marquette has this story line set up so well that you feel as if you are living the characters life out on the ranch. A sweet romance story of how one is swept off her feet by love.
douglass russell
Good night's on the ranch

As I live on a ranch, it gave the real feel of being there. Kept the sexual tension very well and enjoyable and fun.Great read,left me wanting to read more from this author.
Anja
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love stories set in the west. i enjoy reading about the landscape and the people. This was a wonderful story about a cowgirl and a city girl. A sweet romance set on a ranch. Perfect! The only bad thing about this book was that it was way too short. I'd love to read more!
Elisa Rolle
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
2013 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
  • A Kiss Before Dawn
  • Fool for Love (High Rise, #1)
  • Hearts Aflame
  • Dating Game
  • Grand Theft Equine
  • It Should Be a Crime
  • Hidden Truths (The Oregon Series, #2)
  • Driftwood Deeds (Breaking in Waves, #1)
  • Scaredy Cat
  • Pennance
  • 96 Hours
  • Life Rewired
  • Dressed in White
  • Safe Harbor (Provincetown Tales, #1)
  • Then, Now, Forever (Heartbeat, #2)
  • The Price of Fame (Kate & Jay, #1)
  • Desolation Point
  • Yearning Devotion (Yearning Series, #1)
Andi Marquette was born in New Mexico and grew up in Colorado. She completed a couple of academic degrees in anthropology and returned to New Mexico, where she decided a doctorate in history was somehow a good idea. She completed it before realizing that maybe she should have joined the circus, or at least a traveling Gypsy troupe. Oh, well. She fell into editing sometime around 1993 and has been ...more