Start by marking “Sister-Sister” as Want to Read:
Sister-Sister

Sister-Sister

That night, I slip into her mind and dream her dreams. I see myself, Thuli, strange and disconnected and the wrong way round, like I’m stuck in a mirror. We walk across the patch of veld to Saviour’s Pit Stop, our arms crooked at the elbows and linked together. The sky is silver-blue and the propeller on the Legend winks as it turns slow in the breeze, fanning our cheeks. ...more
Published April 20th 2013 by Kwela (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sister-Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sister-Sister

Start your review of Sister-Sister
Tiah
May 13, 2013 added it
I confess to being very nervous about reading the book - Rachel and I know each other and work together. What does one say if you dislike a book your friend slaved five years over? Thankfully, I don't have to answer that question because I am incredibly impressed. So well done, Rachel.

Having hard time putting this book into words other than - WOW. It is literary, yet wraps itself around many genres. Beautifully layered, complex but readable. Can practically taste the descriptions. Thought provo
Julia
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it
firstly, i should say that the writer writes beautifully - i wanted to read some sentences over and over. if it wasn't for that, i would probably ditch the book and not finish it.

the story didn't grip me and i felt rather confused at times. maybe the timing wasn't right, but personally, i prefer it when a book grips me so much, that i find it hard to put down. i didn't feel this.

there were times when certain incidents in the book touched me - so it is a pity that i didn't feel it throughout th
Dewi Pritchard
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Give it time. It's dark; it's poetic; it's beautiful and it will take you on an unique journey into the world of two twins unlike any you will come across again. The journey won't leave you unscathed, but I found it amazing - a take on South Africa that only Rachel Zadok has.
Megz
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book bound me. Had me sleeping with the nightlight on. Had me so confused! But in an intense, tell-me-more kind of way. This may be the best of 2013, and one of my favourite South African novels, perhaps EVER. A proper review will follow. Maybe. If I ever manage to collect my thoughts.

20/09/2013 - K. REVIEW HERE. Full review with a little "fan art" (sort of) can be found here.

Sister-Sister. “One-for-me-and-one-for-you.” In childhood Thuli and Sindi are inseparable, pinkie-linked by a m
Nerine Dorman
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The moment I read the opening lines of Sister-Sister, I was submerged in Rachel Zadok’s almost apocalyptic vision of a possible future South Africa. At the heart of the story we follow the journey of twin sisters Thuli and Sindi, but if you think this is merely an examination of the sometimes uneasy relationship between two sisters, think again. Sister-Sister is so much more than that.

Zadok effortlessly evokes an oppressive setting in the township – a decaying environment where people’s relatio
Maire Fisher
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read Gem Squash Tokoloshe and found it such an exciting read - a strong well structured story. So when I heard that Rachel Zadok had a new book coming out, I was thrilled. But there's always the rider, will a second book be as good? I needn't have worried. I can't say that Sister-Sister is better than Gemsquash, mainly because it's so different. So I'll settle for as good, but possibly more disturbing than Gemsquash.

And I'll stop there, because I have tried to write this review a few times, o
C Hellisen
Set in a near-future South Africa dripping with weird and dark, Sister-Sister is the story of twin girls Sindi and Thuli, at a time when the Big Dry has made water a scarcity and Believers are looking for their virgin mother.

It's a back and forth between the sisters, and the story is complex and close, almost stifling.The ties that bind sisters are often not pretty and Zadok has no trouble delving the complexities of the twins' relationship, their hatreds and jealousies and loves and secrets.

The
S.A. Partridge
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: south-african
Sister, Sister follows the journey of twin sisters Thuli and Sindi, who are forced to leave their old home when an uncle they didn't know existed stirs up old troubles. They are shunted to their mother's old village where they encounter undisguised hostility and an archaic superstitions they don't understand. Their misfortunes continue when they're thrown into one dangerous situation after another. These scenes have been written so masterfully that they appear imagined and almost dreamlike, whic ...more
Marius Plessis
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: local
Wow. Just wow. What an artfully crafted tale. Zadok manages to tell a story so moving and powerful, you cannot help but fall in love with the characters, the plot, the setting, everything. Beautiful, and well done Rachel!
Willem Myburgh
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
A gripping tale with many twists and turns. Love the vibrant and descriptive language used throughout and immense depth of the main characters.
Alison McQueen
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A stunning piece of work. I only wish I knew how she does it.
Jayne Bauling
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There's an abundance of fiction about twins and the mysterious, often painful, bond between them, but this is a twins novel unlike any other. It's dark, yet glittering with moments of beauty. The surface appearance of things is misleading: you read realising that everything could turn around between one sentence and another.

There are scenes that sicken or shock, such as one very early on in the book in the ordinary backyard of a typical town-house complex when twin Sindi's circumstances are reve
Juliet
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I read the back of Sister-Sister it intrigued me but at the same time I didn't fully understand what it was going to be about.
I didn't know that while reading it I would fall in love with the lyrical narrative, it very descriptive in a good way. It makes me picture what I'm meant to picture and it gives me idea of what Thuli’s voice sounds like.
The subject matter is something I'm against because I don't believe in witchcraft but for some reason this book had me believing it when it came t
Kathe Coleman
Set in near-future South Africa it is the tale of twins Thuli and Sindi who when they are the best of friends are two halves of a whole but when jealousy tears them apart they are lost and dysfunctional. They are raised in poverty by a single mother and a surrogate auntie who lives next door. When an uncle mysteriously shows up dark secrets are revealed that begin the unraveling of their bond. A beautifully written book with passages that I had to reread but. . . the story did not grab me. Maybe ...more
Maya Fowler
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a breathtaking read and deserves international recognition. Anyone who has ever read and enjoyed Ben Okri will appreciate the intertextual engagement with The Famished Road. It's an astonishing achievement both on a literary level and as social document: littérature engagée at its best. A heart-stopping story, absolutely compelling, never preachy and highly innovative. http://mayafowler.bookslive.co.za/blo... ...more
Fiona
Apr 09, 2013
Bronwyn Stewart
Mar 25, 2013
Kim Chetty
rated it did not like it
Oct 19, 2016
South African Boo...: Sister-Sister (Spoilers) 9 8 Feb 15, 2015 11:13PM

• The Unpredictable Consequences of Love
  • Dub Steps
  • The Winter People
  • End of Watch (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #3)
  • The Third Reich
  • Three Little Pugs and the Big, Bad Cat
  • Stonemouth
  • Where is Fred?
  • Revival
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently, #1)
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • The Wasp Factory
Rachel Zadok is a writer, editor, publisher and the curator of Short Story Day Africa, a platform for African fiction. She has a National Diploma in Fine Arts. Her first novel, Gem Squash Tokoloshe (Pan Macmillan), was shortlisted for The Whitbread First Novel Award and The John Llewellyn Rhys Prize, and longlisted for the IMPAC award. Her second novel, Sister-sister (Kwela Books 2013) was nominat ...more

News & Interviews

“Shame-shame.” 2 likes
“And behind me the highway, circling the city like a concrete snake, waits for us.” 1 likes