Start by marking “The Governess Club: Claire (The Governess Club, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Governess Club: Claire (The Governess Club, #1)

The Governess Club: Claire

(The Governess Club #1)

Claire Bannister just wants to be a good teacher so that she and the other ladies of the Governess Club can make enough money to leave their jobs and start their own school in the country. But when the new sinfully handsome and utterly distracting tutor arrives, Claire finds herself caught up in a whirlwind romance that could change the course of her future.

Jacob Knightly
Published September 3rd 2013 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about The Governess Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Governess Club

Start your review of The Governess Club: Claire (The Governess Club, #1)
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Embarrassing life moment #72 : The daughter of the people you work for informs a room full of guests that she saw a man touching your "bubbies."

3.5 stars. I get it, Claire. I've lived through that exact same moment, except without the use of the word bubbies. Darn kids.
"It's gross, pressing your lips against a girl. Papa and Mama even used their tongues. It makes me sick."

The kids are part of what made The Governess Club : Claire such a fun read. One minute they were fighting, the ne
Mary - Buried Under Romance
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Posted on my blog: http://buriedunderromance.blogspot.co...

Ellie Macdonald’s debut hits a high note with introducing a group of friends who created a club to better their lives as governesses; this book focuses on Claire, a governess whose life is disrupted by the arrival of a new tutor for her charges, and makes her yearn for something more than just a dream to return to her childhood home.

The chief focus of this novella is characterization, especially of Jacob Knightley, the newly engaged tut
Rashika (is tired)
This book, or more appropriately, this novella, didn’t have much going for it. It seemed very generic in terms of a historical romance but it wasn't enjoyable. I spent more time cringing than smiling at the silly antics of our characters.

Claire seems to have the basis for a strong female lead. She rarely wallows in self-pity, is confident and she doesn't let her circumstances bring her down too much. Yet at the same time she lets her employers walk over her and she doesn’t really ever stand for
Rane
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it

The first in the The Goveress Club series, Clarie kicks it off with a sweet romance with a governess Claire Bannister trying to hold on to parts of her past while a romance starts to bloom between her and the mysterious new tutor Jacob Knightly whose a lord in hiding. Between romance,crazy kids, secrets and some nice toast this had a little bit of everything to make it such an enjoyable read.

Being a novella Macdonald did an excellent job building the relationship between Claire and Jacob quick
Kathy
This had such a fun premise and I was excited to give it a try. Four friends who are tired of being governesses decide to pull their resources and gain their independence. The first story focuses on Claire. Once a gently bred lady she has had to seek out employment as a governess. One day Jacob shows up as a Tudor. Only Clair doesn't know that Jacob is really an Earl in hiding. Sparks fly and attraction grows.

Unfortunately, I had to stop reading because of bad content. I guess I'm partially to
Lisa
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a very refreshing debut from Ellie Macdonald. Our couple, Claire Bannister, a governess who is trying to make ends meet following the death of her father so she can get her childhood back and Jacob Knightly, an Earl posing as a tutor to show his family he can be respectable and not just wild, find a deep attraction to each other for who they truly are. When they are caught out by her charges (the children were so well done in this story!) her life alters drastically and the truth about ...more
Jen
3.5 to 4 Stars

Lexie
Lady Wesley
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-rev, arc, amz-rev
Sweet novella, with a clever plot. It's short, so love and forgiveness come pretty quickly.
Stevie Carroll
Oct 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Previously reviewed on The Good the Bad and the Unread:

What is it with North American authors and the conferring of fictional Earldoms (courtesy or inherited from a distant relative) on second sons? That’s not how things work, and Debrett has lots of useful guides and FAQs online to explain the situation. Before I hit that sticking point, this story was jogging along rather cutely, if implausibly, with its tale of Claire, a governess trying to carve out a better situation in life for herself and
Tin
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Disclosure: I received the ARC through Edelweiss. (Thank you to Ellie MacDonald and to Avon Impulse for accepting my request.) Yes, this is an honest review.

* * *

Claire, Sara, Bonnie, and Louisa have two things in common: their jobs as governesses and their dream of living independently. They formulated a plan: first, to regain Claire's childhood home, then save their wages for three years, and finally quit their jobs. They formed The Governess Club, meeting once a month during their afternoon o
Lorka
Feb 11, 2020 marked it as dnf-at-all
I didn't very far into this book. The hero and heroine just did not click for me. Book #3 Sara was my favorite of this series.
Megan
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Since the death of her father Claire Bannister has been forced to make her own way in the world. As a governess she spends her days taking care of children that are not her own and occasionally evening out a dinner party of her employers. When a new tutor arrives at the household she isn’t impressed. Jacob Knightly doesn’t not behave the way a tutor should and after a few pointer, Claire helps him to become better at his job. What she doesn’t know is that he is an earl, the second son of a Duke, ...more
Jo (My House of Books)
This novella by Ms. MacDonald begins The Governess Club series, which focuses on four friends who happen to be governesses. All the ladies are tired of pushing back against stereotypes of their station in life and have decided to save their money for three years in the hopes of purchasing a house where they can live and work. The first novella focuses on Claire, who proposes her childhood home, Ridgestone -- despite it having been repossessed -- as the place the ladies should purchase.

Claire wo
Melanie
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
If you have couple of hours of free time and would like to sample a new author, this short [192 pages long] story might be for you. However, be warned! This is a debut for this author and if you're a stickler [I'm not!] for historical accuracy, author's lack of research might put you off.

I actually thought it wasn't that bad. Because of the length, the author had to condense not just the plot but the characterization too. I wish she'd at least given us a better, more rounded characterization, so
Christiana
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
New author. Canlit. Library borrowed. It could have been more developed but overall, quite enjoyable. Also some unanswered questions, eg I dont think it was explained how Jacob who was at the brink of bankruptcy before he disappeared, had the money to buy the estate for Claire. It's plausible but never elaborated on? Also the idea of private tutoring in those days, was it possible?
What I liked best was the overall idea of 4 friends pooling their resources to start a new better life together, it
Joy (Cheery♡Reads)
I really, really enjoyed this novella. It's so refreshing to read a historical romance that revolves around the working class and the children.

I was intrigued at the prologue and was in love and enchanted from chapter 1 onwards.

Although short, I find the characters well fleshed out with a solid plot. My only complaint is the issue between Jacob and his father as he only mentioned his mother looking forward to meeting Claire.

It would have been perfect if the author had resolved this father and
ARomanceLover
Apr 01, 2013 rated it liked it
The first governess we meet from the Governess Club is Claire who falls for a newly hired tutor in her employer's household. The tutor, Jacob, is more than he seems as Claire soon discovers. This was a sweet story and I also liked the characters of Claire's charges, the five children who provided much comic relief.
Eileen
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this book. It had a great concept with four friends who are governesses determined to be independent. From the very first page, the author did a great job with each one's personality. I loved the concept of an Earl hiding as a tutor. Great concept!

The book is a fast fun read. I'm looking forward to the others.
Nightwitch
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance-regency
I didn’t enjoy this much at all, which is unfortunate, because I love governess books. However, I hate “wastrel son of the aristocracy poses as a humble [whatever] and seduces a governess” books: it’s just kind of gross, given the kind of advances that were often historically pressed on governesses. This book fully acknowledges that, but basically only so that the hero can rescue the heroine from attempted rape. The hero is a complete wastrel whose father tells him to get lost because of his mas ...more
Gail
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Books seem to be getting shorter these days-- not just seeming, but they are. This book clocks in at 192 pages. The first book I sold was a "short" series contemporary at 200 pages. 50,000 words. This isn't necessarily bad, but it does mean that there isn't room for much plot or characterization. And the plot to this story is fairly simple and straightforward. It's not even clear exactly when in history it's set. The cover would lead you to believe it's in the mid-Victorian era, but the text-- r ...more
Michelle
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claire lost her family and her family's home and became a governess. A 5-year plan formed with her fellow governesses was for them to earn enough money, purchase back Claire's family home, and to live together without worry. A new tutor in Claire's home is starting to make her rethink that plan. Jacob is living in hiding, a younger son running away from his titled family to prove that he can make it on his own. Remembering he is now a servant is a little harder then he thought. He's intrigued by ...more
Virginia Tican
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
It had an American feel to it and there were some contemporary words in present day context but at least "okay" was not there to completely derail the timeline since the others jarred and rankled enough to cause a discordance in the supposed to be historical setting ~ after the Regency which was to some, consider it to be the Extended Regency period given that the Prince Regent was now George IV of England (1820~1830) when this book was set which was in 1822.
Ruby Duvall
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ana Ionite
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Emotion, faith, love story-all the ingredients of a good book. I am so proud of Bonnie! She is such a strong woman, also kind and a real fighter, like any man. He is good looking, but very immature. They fell in love, and here is my dissapointment: their night is quite a cliche, nothing out of the ordinary. But I will keep reading, I enjoyed it.
Annalice
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Good, though the romance was a little too fast for my taste. I felt that they could have gotten to know each other better and didn't really understand how they fell in love.

This book is really short; it probably only took me an hour, at the most an hour and a half to read.
Shelby Scott
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Governess Club

This is indeed a new twist four women trying to work and combine their money to improve all their lives. Loved the first and will be glad to read the next installment.
Egle Vair
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Light but entertaining with a slightly different twist to the plot which induced me to search the other titles of the series - something I rarely do!
Annette
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
THE GOVERNESS CLUB: CLAIRE : if you enjoy a rousing good novel with lots of love and humor - look elsewhere. This was a mediocre pudding at best.
Mrs Giggles
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Claire is the first story in Ellie Macdonald's series The Governess Club. The club thing is just a gimmick, a "Collect them all!" sticker of sorts to tell everyone that there are more to come in the series, as it's not like these ladies are secret agents bent on killing French spies with a teacup down the throat or something like that.

This story, by the way, requires considerable suspension of disbelief to get into, and even then, one has to be very patient and not want to cringe at the impendin
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 04, 2015 09:49AM

• The American Duke (The Stafford Sisters #2)
  • A Convenient Fiction (Parish Orphans of Devon, #3)
  • The Viscount and the Vixen (The Somerton Scandals #1)
  • The Duke's Stolen Bride (The Rogue Files, #5)
  • The Deceptive Lady Darby (Lost Ladies of London, #2)
  • A Duke She Can't Refuse (The Impossible Balfours Book 1)
  • Tempting Fate (Providence, #2)
  • A Duke for Daisy (The Blooming Brides Book 1)
  • The Devil May Care (Rogues & Gentlemen #4)
  • Where Hearts Meet (Jasmine Cottage Book 1)
  • A Sinful Duke she can't Refuse
  • A Holiday by Gaslight
  • Duke of Havoc (Dukes of Destiny #1)
  • Never Deny Your Heart (Kellington #5)
  • Scandalous Lord Dere
  • The Lacemaker (Silver Linings Mysteries #2)
  • How to Ruin a Duke: A Regency Novella Duet
  • The Alabaster Hip (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #3)
Ellie Macdonald has held several jobs beginning with the letter T: taxi driver, telemarketer, and, most recently, teacher. She is thankful her interests have shifted to writing instead of taxidermy or tornado chasing. Having traveled to five different continents, she has swum with elephants, scuba dived through coral mazes, visited a leper colony, and climbed waterfalls and windmills, but her favo ...more

The Governess Club (4 books)
  • The Governess Club: Bonnie (The Governess Club, #2)
  • The Governess Club: Sara (The Governess Club, #3)
  • The Governess Club: Louisa (The Governess Club, #4)