Start by marking “Southside” as Want to Read:
Southside

Southside

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Los Angeles Times gang reporter Michael Lyons has just left his favorite downtown saloon when he is shot and wounded on the sidewalk two blocks from City Hall. After the initial shock, fellow reporters put together a betting pool. The bet? "Who Shot Mike?" There are a lot of contenders. When the LAPD's investigation stalls, the Times runs editorials critical of the police. ...more
Published November 5th 2013 by Oceanview Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Southside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southside

Suspense Magazine
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
“Southside” is a solid debut novel from Los Angeles Times crime reporter Michael Krikorian. Krikorian writes what he knows, spinning a tale about a Los Angeles Times crime reporter, Michael Lyons, who covers the many gangs of the City of Angels. As an editor, I would have counseled Krikorian to not give the character—clearly a fictionalized version of himself—his own first name, which gets a bit too on the nose, but that’s a minor nitpick.
The novel gets off to a somewhat disjointed start, with f
Debra
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Street gang reporter Mike Lyons is shot one evening while leaving a bar. He has no idea why, but it’s possible his stories might have upset a few gang members. When police discover evidence suggesting that Mike arranged his own shooting, he needs to find the truth. Unfortunately, Mike loses a lot along the way. There is also the real possibility that the shooter intends to finish the job.

Southside is a gritty look at the lives of people we would never want to meet. Mike’s own shaky past and his
Pamela
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Southside is a well written suspense/thriller centered on the shooting of a reporter, Mike Lyons, known for his investigations into gang activity in the Southside neighborhood of Los Angeles. A recorded conversation between Mike and a gang leader leads law enforcement to believe that Mike arranged the shooting for publicity purposes. Mike must investigate his shooting to clear his name and salvage his reputation.

The character development was rich and varied. I could see each person clearly in my
Jane
Southside is named for the Southside of Los Angeles, gang territory and the beat of reporter Mike Lyons for the LA Times. One sunny afternoon he is shot while walking down the street between his favorite bar and the Times, two blocks form City Hall and three from LA Central Police Station. This starts the mystery told in Southside.

The second time the killer strikes is to kill Terminal, a gang member and brother of Big Evil now serving life without possibility of parole for the double murder of t
Gerard
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This book is filled to the brim with detail, so much that at times it was a little hard to keep up for me.
The characters were very detailed and convincing, as well as was the overall story. Not often are there thrillers that you could see happening in the real world.
Overall a very enjoyable read and a recommendation to those looking to get into the thriller genre.

I received the book for free through Goodreads Firstreads.
Jo
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Southside is a mystery about the Southside of LA and I do love a good mystery. Michael Krikorian has written a wonderful thriller with interesting characters and lots of gang action and interaction. My daughter won Southside on Goodreads First Reads and shared it with me after she finished it & I am really glad she did; I enjoy a good mystery.
David Marshall
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
An impressive first novel not only because of the thriller plot which is pleasingly credible, but also for the excellent structure of the narrative. It's a delight to read.

Billy
Aug 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book has a potentially great story line, but the characterization is often one dimensional and stereotypical. Too bad.
Dick
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
A gritty well written book. The insight into gang life in LA is real and eye opening. Michael, the protagonist, is a flawed but very likable character. A good read.
Patrick Schultheis
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Very good, for its genre. Good plot, decent characters. I liked the author's prose. Will read more by him.
Chris
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Forgettable crime novel set in LA.
David
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gritty thriller. Great debut novel by Michael Krikorian.
Susan
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. A thriller that should be in everyone's library.

I recieved a signed copy from Goodreads. Hooray !
Ed Mackel
Rob
Jan 18, 2014
Angelofmine
Oct 04, 2013
  • Mexican Hit Girl (Mason Church, #1)
  • Wreckers Gate (Immortality and Chaos #1)
  • Beyond The Sun
  • 1 in 3: These Are Our Stories
  • Jump-Start Money Management
  • The Black Pony
  • A Simplified Map of the Real World
  • Writers of the Future: 29 (L Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future)
  • No Matter What: An Adoptive Family's Story of Hope, Love and Healing
  • Blood Memory (Blood Memory #1)
  • My Darkest Passion (My Immortals, #5)
  • 1,001 People That Suck
  • The Broken (The Lost Words, #2)
  • Betting on Fate