Start by marking “Catch and Release” as Want to Read:
Catch and Release

Catch and Release

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  174 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The Master Returns with Never-Before-Collected Tales of Murder and Desire!

On of the most highly acclaimed novelists in the crime genre, Lawrence Block is also a master of the short story, with award-winning work ranging from the macabre to the slyly comic, from heart-stopping tales of revenge to memorable explorations of lust and greed, all told in Block's unmistakable sty
Published September 30th 2013 by Subterranean Press (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Catch and Release, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catch and Release

Dan Schwent
Sep 12, 2013 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it
Catch and Release is a collection of Lawrence Block's short stories. As usual, I'll attempt to comment on them as I go without revealing too much, which is difficult when it comes to short stories.

A Burglar's Eye View of Greed: Bernie Rhodenbarr gives his thoughts on greed. It's a nice little window into his personality and makes me want to resume reading the Burglar series.

A Chance to Get Even: This is the story of a poker player who doesn't know how to bet more than he can afford to lose and k
Andrew Smith
Feb 11, 2015 Andrew Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir-hardboiled
I'd read a scratching from Block on the back of a cereal pack, so picking up a new set of short stories from the Master of Crime was a no-brainer. I say new but I've come across some of these before, notably in a previous collection (Night and the Music) and also a book he penned in 2011 under the pseudonym Jill Emerson (Getting Off). Though rereading these offerings was no problem, in fact given the state of my memory these days it was a while before I recognised I'd trodden some of these paths ...more
Bad Cookie
Oct 24, 2013 Bad Cookie rated it it was ok
Randy
Sep 30, 2013 Randy rated it it was amazing
CATCH AND RELEASE is a collection of crime stories that run the gamut of settings. We have backgrounds of golf, fishing, a couple on poker. We get serial killers, burglars, retired folks, a cop, a priest, a doctor, and a soldier.

A couple I'd read in their original appearances, but it was nice to get reacquainted. All were well written, as one would suspect from the master, and had a twist here and there with victims getting in shot here and there.

The book is available in a nice hardcover edition
Josh
Oct 27, 2013 Josh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have no problem with trash, but this isn't quite the kind of trash I'd hoped for; instead of gleefully pulpy tales, most of these are either quite pedestrian (especially the insufferable poker and golf stories, and the lengthy philosophical discussions), or else they are dark and depraved for no reason other than-- seemingly-- to shock and titillate. There are only a couple of entries that truly surprise and entertain.
Richard
Oct 21, 2013 Richard rated it liked it
Well, it is not really a novel, but a number of short stories, a couple of novellas that are really one story, and a few things he had forgotten he had written including one he is not sure is his or not.

The best part of the book, Story Notes, hardly more than 4 pages after the fiction, is included in the back.
Col
Jan 08, 2014 Col rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, b
Synopsis/blurb.........

The Master Returns--With Never-Before-Collected Tales of Murder and Desire

One of the most highly acclaimed novelists in the crime genre, Lawrence Block is also a master of the short story, with award-winning work ranging from the macabre to the slyly comic, from heart-stopping tales of revenge to memorable explorations of lust and greed, all told in Block's unforgettable style. The sixteen stories (and one stage play!) collected here feature appearances by some of Block s
Joshua
Jun 06, 2016 Joshua rated it really liked it
My kind of sleazy trash! This was my first experience with Lawrence Block who, as I understand, is a crime and mystery writer of no small acclaim. This volume of previously-published-but-uncollected short fiction proved to be a great introduction. I'm not sure if most of his work is more genteel or pedestrian than this, but I certainly hope not!

Most of these tales were written from the POV of their nefarious lead characters. Stalkers, serial killers, gamblers, thieves, black widows, kidnappers,
Kevintipple
Oct 10, 2013 Kevintipple rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The latest book from author Lawrence Block titled Catch And Release: 17 Stories is an enjoyable grab bag of tales. Short tales, long tales, and a play are present here where those involved almost always offer a philosophy on life and their role in the world. As such, this is a thinking reader’s book and not a light weight read where the characters just run around shooting people and killing folks for the heck of it. Everything that happens, or does not happen, is because a character made a consc ...more
Denise Dougherty
Although I generally like Lawrence Block, I really didn't like this group of short stories. First, the audio version was read by the author - bad idea. Secondly, the stories were not enjoyable - almost creepy in a way I can't quite describe but just ... creepy and not in a horror way.

Abandoned.

DD@Phila
Dave
Mar 21, 2014 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading Lawrence Block since 1996, when a patron at the library suggested him.
I fell in love with his Matt Scudder series, though I haven't been able to get into his other series...
I enjoyed this set of short stories. The man knows how to write!
Jamie
Sep 03, 2015 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay. I LOVE Lawrence Block, but as a general rule I don't love short stories. Not sure why. Anyway - This collection was very dark, very violent and at times uncomfortable to listen to. (Audiobook). Some were great, but most were darker than I enjoy or like. Fair warning.
Ester
Mar 04, 2016 Ester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure noir fiction, much so that every time anyone on the book googles something or uses a cell I got puzzled, I was waiting for Marlowe I guess :)

I didn't know the author, the book came in a bundle a lot of time ago. I think I've found a new favorite.
EricW
Dec 31, 2015 EricW rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up on a whim at the public library, even though "hard-boiled crime" isn't really my genre. A few of the stories were intriguing, a few were in poor taste, and several didn't hold my interest. If this author had a collection that were all on par with the best pieces in this book, I'd be interested in reading more. But I don't particularly want to wade through the bad ones to get there.
Michelle
Feb 17, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this book captivated my attention and I recommend it to anyone.The art of the short story is awesome and written correctly leave you thinking about them afterwards.This book does that.
Rick Hollis
Feb 25, 2014 Rick Hollis rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense-mystery
This is a collection of short stories. Like most short stories, characters are not fully developed. For my money the best stories are the ones that use characters which we know from his books.
Michael Brown
More short stories collected from various sources and published here. All good tales by a master storyteller.
Harry Addington
I got a little bored with some of the stories. Skipped through to the end. Still love his series.
Barbara
Feb 19, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Mr. Block does not disappoint ! A great selection of stories.
Pj
May 30, 2016 Pj rated it liked it
Favorite stories: "Catch and Release" "Scenarios" "Without a Body"
Ron
Nov 22, 2013 Ron rated it liked it
Block provides the reader a very varied collection tales of murder, crime, revenge, and horror with many having a twist that causes the reader to look back over the story to see what they missed. Some of the interesting stories involved a priest, policeman, soldier and doctor sitting around a poker table and telling stories of greed lust. Not every stories is memorable but enough are to make the book well worth reading.
Linda
Dec 15, 2013 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I guess I am not fond of super short stories. There is not much time to develop characters or plot. Could only read 1/3 of the book. Not enough to give a fair assessment to the author or the genre.
Marceppy
Dec 22, 2013 Marceppy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I could not get into this book due to the subject and nature of killing people. Just not what I enjoy.
John
Oct 13, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
17 stories from a master of the crime genre

Read my full review at:
Al Stoess
Nov 06, 2013 Al Stoess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Block fans. Fans of short story mysteries.
Another good book by Block if you like short stories. There was a line on page 249 that I could relate to.
Thomas Todd
Another book of shorts by Lawrence Block.
Jim Wilson
Easy to read short mystery/crime stories.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Eric Pauly
Eric Pauly rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
  • Easy Death (Hard Case Crime #117)
  • Brainquake (Hard Case Crime #116)
  • Killing Castro
  • The Wrong Quarry (Quarry #11)
  • Thieves Fall Out (Hard Case Crime)
  • Home Is the Sailor (Hard Case Crime #7)
  • The Secret Lives of Married Women (Hard Case Crime #113)
  • The Wounded and the Slain
  • Losers Live Longer (Hard Case Crime #59)
  • House Dick (Hard Case Crime #54)
  • Casino Moon (Hard Case Crime #55)
  • The Confession (Hard Case Crime #6)
  • Nobody's Angel (Hard Case Crime, #65)
  • Songs of Innocence (Hard Case Crime #33)
  • Baby Moll
  • Witness to Myself (Hard Case Crime #19)
  • The Peddler (Hard Case Crime #27)
  • Kill Now, Pay Later (Hard Case Crime #35)
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2002.

From his web site:

I'm told every good author website needs a bio, so here's mine:

"Lawrence Block's novels range from the urban noir of Matthew Scudder (A Drop of the Hard Stuff) to the urbane effervescence of Bernie Rhodenbarr (The Burglar on the Prowl), while other characters include the globe-trotting insomniac Evan Tanne
More about Lawrence Block...