Start by marking “Manage Your Day-to-Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind” as Want to Read:

(99u #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  18,280 ratings  ·  1,095 reviews
Do you work at a breakneck pace all day, only to find that you haven't accomplished the most important things on your agenda by the time you leave the office? With wisdom from 20 leading creative minds, 99U's Manage Your Day-to-Day will equip you with pragmatic insights for using your time wisely and making your best work. We'll show you how to build a rock-solid daily rou ...more
Published May 21st 2013 by Amazon Publishing (first published May 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Manage Your Day-to-Day, please sign up.

·  18,280 ratings  ·  1,095 reviews

Start your review of Manage Your Day-to-Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind
Ryan
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design
I waffled on the 4* or 3* rating. As with all the 99u material there is always a hint of Anthony Robbins or cult of design. Promoting pseudo science (i.e Buteyko breathing) & the over simplification of meditation really undermine some good points. But its biggest sin? It reads at times like a collection of ads for the professional consulting services of each 'author'.

Flaws aside it did provide me with a good kick in the arse for planning, and staying on top of my creative career. It's nice to he
Besha
Dec 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
"You are a beautiful and unique snowflake and you should stop checking your email so goddamn much." Also: twenty pages of overdesigned inspirational quotes.
Carrie Lahain
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If "procrastinator" isn't my middle name, it's only because my parents didn't want to embarrass me. I am a strange hybrid--a creative person who is also a type A++ personality. I do not perform at my best without some sort of structure. When I left graduate school for the life of a freelance writer, I found myself drowning in "free" time with little sense of how to reach my ever-growing (because I never actually reached one and got to cross it off!) list of goals. It took me years to develop the ...more
Chung Chin
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
The book is divided into four main chapters, each dealing with a specific topic:
1. Building a Solid Rock Routine
2. Finding Focus in a Distracted World
3. Taming Your Tools
4. Sharpening Your Creative Mind

For each topic, guest writers are invited to share with readers their thoughts on the specific topic. So, the style of writing can be different from article to article. However, each article is nicely written in my opinion and everything is tied together nicely.

My two-star review is more for the c
Chad Warner
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Chad by: Kelly Warner
This book tells creatives (designers, writers, artists, etc.) how to better manage their time to give priority to creativity. It's current and practical while still presenting timeless principles. It covers several topics, but my favorite tips dealt with time management. My wife read this book and then recommended it to me, knowing that I spend much of my day as a web designer juggling creative work and communication.

Each chapter is quite short (3-10 pages) and is written by a different authors.
Sumeet Mahendra
This is what I consider as a good book. Though it's sort of must read for any creative professional but still there's lot more to understand and learn by a layman.

Like some insight of self-control and de addiction of social media. Really that's quite useful.

Every professional shared some of his/her core values for improvement, learned in many years and practiced for many years.

You can't believe it but I've purchased it at ⅓ of it's original price, yeah less than a US $1. So I'm providing you
Heidi The Reader
A helpful collection of short articles by different business experts on how to more effectively utilize your day and strengthen your creative muscles. The different chapters were a little too short as they didn't go into the topics with the depth that I wanted. Not a lot of groundbreaking ideas here, but a good starting place for folks who are looking for a general overview on shaping their routine or are looking for a bunch of experts who have written books on the subject that can be read for f ...more
Carlie K
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review is originally posted on The Bookish Girl
---------------------------------------
Get this book on Book Depository
---------------------------------------
"You can do anything, but not everything." - David Allen

As a Bookstagrammer and blogger, creativity is often needed in my life. However, there are always times that creativity would not make its appearance. When encountering such dreadful situation, I do nothing but wait for creativity to come. Usually this passive move leads to procras
David
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this quick little read. It was well organized into logical partitions, contained lots of whitespace so I felt like I was cruising right through it, and it had handy summaries of each section so you could pluck out the core suggestions from each chapter/article.

It's a multi-author work, so naturally some of it was 5-star material and some of it was 2-star material. Some of it was clearly written expressly for design professionals. But a surprisingly large percentage of it spoke d
Vladimir Kobetic
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very, very good compilation,mashup of activities/events/distractors/ideas from your daily routine with an evidences from researches. It is worh reading when you feel that your days are just worthless and you think of them just as time spent in communication without finishing your primary goal of the day...

Thoughts:
Your day is full of separated blocks.
Task switching is a killer - it is possible, but lot of time and energy wasted just on switching.
Doing 2 things in parallel is not possible, only v
Bill
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful read. I will caveat that there may be some points that will be offensive to some readers- they were to me. This might be expected given the range of writers involved in the creation of the book. I still think overall that Behance/99u put together a great book of tips and tricks for not just creative folks but for just about anyone who has to live, work, and play. The tips do range from simple to somewhat esoteric and as much profound advice is, sometimes obvious- at least af ...more
Benjamin Wallace
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Interviews with creative type folks share how they manage to do amazing things without getting sucked into the business of day-to-day stuff. I think I learned some things. I'm going to try applying a few of the tips.
Lena
Kind of hokey and not suuuuper substantial.

Nevertheless there are some great pieces of advice in here that I needed to read and am attempting to incorporate into my life. I think I lacked solid strategic thinking around the How of approaching my work and long-term creative goals and this book gave me some of that. So yeah...I’d say this was a worthwhile read (and quick to boot).
Jo Murphy
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
(Scott Belsky Founder of Beehance 2013)
This is the next volume in the 99U quest to supply the missing curriculum. This elusive curriculum is the one they did not teach you at school.
99U is part of the Beehance network, a place where artists showcase their creative portfolios. The last book was a forerunner to a series of books designed to stimulate and facilitate creativity. It was called Making Ideas Happen. You can find related articles at 99u.com
Manage Your Day - To -Day is a Five Chapter set
Taryn
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It’s not about ideas, it’s about making ideas happen.

Manage Your Day-to-Day is composed of 20+ short essays divided between four topics: Building a Rock-Solid Routine, Finding Focus in a Distracted World, Taming Your Tools, and Sharpening Your Creative Mind. Each section is concluded with a helpful list of the key actionable items. The essays are brief and many of the pages are just enlarged quotes or section dividers, so it was a really quick afternoon read.

“Don’t wait for inspiration; create a
Rob Robideau
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Lot's of motivation, but not much new

I have to admit that I found this book more entertaining than enlightening. It was interesting to hear the perspectives of the different contributors on inspiration and work, but I can't say that there were any new gems that will change my life. Reinforcement of things already known? Yes. New explanations? Yes. Motivation? Yes.

There is definitely good information, but for me, having already read books written by a number of the contributors, there wasn't much
jannaphia
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-fiction
Usually I’m not a big fan of ‘self help’ books, because let’s be honest, most are full of crap. And neither is my dad apparently because he got it, never read it and then gave it to me. Anyways, I already read it once while I was in university and I loved it. It definitely helps that it’s not just one person telling you to get your life together with some yoga and happy thoughts, it’s actual creative professionals with actual tips and strategies to manage your work life. Take it or leave it but ...more
Brianna
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
The main problem I had with this book is that it's hopelessly repetitive. The evils of email, of checking email, of starting your day with email, etc. were emphasized over and over again when I think that the point that they were trying to make (be proactive, not reactive) could have been stated in a couple sentences or less. I think this is a flaw inherent to the format, this kind of random scattering of articles and Q&A's from different sources. Obviously with that many sources, you're not goi ...more
Chelsea Moreen
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This short book definitely lost my interest quite a few times and isn’t that helpful overall for me as an Art student. However there are definitely a few points which really worked for me and that I’m going to try and bring into my own practice to improve overall. I would mostly recommend this for writers as that seems to be the market that this book is aimed for realistically, not creative people overall.
Santhosh Guru
Gives a decent introduction on the why and what of the routines and rituals. It is a collection of essays from various authors, so it is not an authoritative guide or so, but a decent place to start. Maybe next stop for me will be Tools of Titans.
Frida
Lots of short chapters, all by different authors, all doing some sort of creative work. I liked the setup - short and to the point. Nothing really new of course but then I read it because I need reminding.
Cecilia
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, 2017
Some good tips and lots of common sense reminders.
Yelda Basar Moers
I found this book to be very useful and helpful for anyone needing help managing their schedule and time!
Lexi
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book.. Lots of common and recognizable advice from multiple great leaders and coaches, nothing too new, but the way they are discussed in this book makes them seem clear and simple.. I'd buy a paperback copy of this to keep on my desk.
Kelly
A solid collection of short pieces on how to make the most of your creative life. Not everything here will be relevant to everyone, but the variety of voices and perspectives, followed by short "take aways" from each section, make this a solid intro (or refresher) for those looking to find ways to make time for their creative passions.

The biggest pieces I liked were about eschewing perfectionism in favor of good enough and about how you have to put your big rocks down first before fitting in the
Yoly
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
If you've read books like Getting Things Done and Eat That Frog and any other "here's how you get things done" kind of book this one doesn't have anything new to add. Also, it felt more like a collection of blog posts instead of a "book".

I would have given it 3 stars but I listened to the audio version and the narrators sound like something (or someone?) drained the life out of them. Also "double u double u double u dot" on an audiobook multiple times is going to get old fast.

But I do recommend
Jenifer
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Biggest takeaway: "Consider, however, the opportunity cost of spending your life only on pragmatics. You dedicate your time to pleasing everyone else and delivering on their expectations, but you never get around to discovering your deeper aptitudes and creative capacities. Nothing is worth that." -p.177
Em
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, personal-devt
My 'Great on Kindle' credit was expiring so I bought this. It's OK; nothing groundbreaking. The final chapter was very depressing (basically 'amateurs will be terrible for 20 years and probably still not be very good') but the rest was positive and upbeat.
Desinka
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was concise, inspirational and insightful!
Nopadol Rompho
Interesting book. Personally I believe that if you want to change your life, you need to change your routine. This book tells you how you can build your routine. Really love it.

• Ignore Everybody: and 39 Other Keys to Creativity
  • A Technique for Producing Ideas
  • Picture This: The Near-Sighted Monkey Book
  • Anatomy for the Artist
  • The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
Jocelyn K. Glei is a writer who's obsessed with how we can find more creativity and meaning in our daily work. Her latest book, Unsubscribe, is a modern guide to killing email anxiety, avoiding distraction, and getting real work done. Her previous works include Manage Your Day-to-Day, Maximize Your Potential, and Make Your Mark, which offer pragmatic, actionable advice for creatives on managing th ...more

99u (3 books)
  • Maximize Your Potential: Grow Your Expertise, Take Bold Risks  Build an Incredible Career
  • Make Your Mark: The Creative’s Guide to Building a Business With Impact

News & Interviews

“Like it or not, we are constantly forced to juggle tasks and battle unwanted distractions—to truly set ourselves apart, we must learn to be creative amidst chaos.” 15 likes
“Frequency makes starting easier. Getting started is always a challenge. It’s hard to start a project from scratch, and it’s also hard each time you re-enter a project after a break. By working every day, you keep your momentum going.” 13 likes