Start by marking “Trim Healthy Mama” as Want to Read:
Trim Healthy Mama

Trim Healthy Mama

Trim Healthy Mama No More Fads! A Common Sense Guide To Satisfy Your Cravings And Energize Your Life. By Pearl Barrett & Serene Allison. For Women Of All Ages And Stages! Over 250 Recipes, Proven Ways to Lose Weight, How to Balance your Hormones, How to Re-fire your Metabolism, Make your Skin Glow, Ignite Marriage Intimacy, Simple but Effective Exercise Plan. (for Preg ...more
Paperback, Revision, 642 pages
Published September 1st 2012 by Welby Street Press

To ask other readers questions about Trim Healthy Mama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trim Healthy Mama

Start your review of Trim Healthy Mama
Susan Priolo
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ll admit it. I was a little skeptical about the new book called Trim, Healthy Mama. I’ve been interested in health and nutrition for nearly as long as I’ve been homeschooling so I’ve seen and tried just about everything. Yes, even some real wacky stuff, all in the hope of better health and nutrition. I have counted calories, done Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Fit for Life, the Dukan Diet, Raw Foods, Hallelujah Acres, Nourishing Traditions, Paleo/Primal, Juicing, Green Smoothies and more. Just ...more
Kamryn Koble
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wild ride. Even wilder than the Facebook group created for the diet. Ehem, lifestyle.

It's impossible to talk about Trim Healthy Mama without mentioning the entire franchise, or without taking a more personal approach when it comes to reviewing it. Particularly while I am still a newbie/outsider.

First of all, for those who are delving in the THM world, prepare yourself. There's acronyms. There's lingo. It's a self-proclaimed cult. There are dozens of strange
Lynnae McCoy
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to improve their health.
This was an excellent book, covering not only healthy eating, but exercise, supplements, a healthy (married) sex life and more. At over 600 pages long, Trim Healthy Mama covers a lot of ground and backs up their plan with solid research. The basic premise is that you should eat a carb-conscious diet and never mix both high carbs and high fat in a single meal.

The authors, sisters, are Christians, and though the book is written from a Christian perspective, it is not overly preachy. ...more
Katie
May 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, cookbooks
I should have known what to expect going in to this. Two women, no credentials, writing a book that is really just a weight loss book. They may try to hide that under the guise of healthy eating, but it is really just a weight loss book. Similar to the Hungry Girl with lots of fakeish foods and low fat/carb stuff. Recipes are broken down into categories-e, s, fuel pull, etc. I honestly couldn't tell you what they mean though because it was too complex (boring?) for me to bother caring about. The ...more
Kathleen Johnson
Jul 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, health
The cover claims, "No More Fads!", but that's exactly what this is. It's low carb/low sugar and lots of fake substitutes. Poorly organized.
Steve Hemmeke
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I avoid nutrition books like the plague.
I also almost never review a book unless I've read the whole thing.
But I couldn't resist on this one.
I only lightly read two chapters, and I was pleasantly surprised. Fitting with common sense and basic medical facts (my wife assures me), the authors are also quite well grounded biblically. Here are two examples:

“Daniel turned down the king’s meat because it was not killed according to God’s laws and was also offered to idols.
Amber G.
May 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My cousin-in-law found a lot of help from this book, in learning healthy eating habits, and losing weight. I chose to check it out from the library to peruse it. I can see how this could help people who really are beginners in figuring out how to combine foods for weight loss, and how to eat healthier in general.

But, the majority of the book seemed like fluff, and ridiculous banter between sisters. It's a hefty book when I found maybe one or two chapters actually helpful. Nothing in
M
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've almost finished reading this hefty tome, and as soon as I finish I want to start right back at the beginning and read it over again -- in the copy that I bought for myself after reading halfway through my borrowed copy. A true lifestyle-changer, even for Nutrition Nerd me. And the recipes are absolutely amazing.
Anna Marie
Feb 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1. Written by two completely unqualified 'christian pop star' sisters, all about putting their faces out there.

2. They say this is not a fad, but there were 120 holds on 35 copies in our library system. Fad, much? It was confirmed further for me when I cracked the cover. It's all catch-phrases and a bunch of little self-invented key words that were miserable to try to keep track of.

3. Ugly, horrible sketches of these two women with snide captions throughout the book. Whoe
Alisa
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will probably update this review several times: I originally bought the .pdf of this book so I could start reading it sooner and because it was cheaper! Then I found that I really wanted a hard copy of the book... especially so I could bookmark recipes and keep it in my kitchen! I know this book is expensive, but I think it is worth every penny I paid (for both the .pdf version and the hard copy combined!)!

Over the past couple of weeks I have incorporated some of the things they ha
Sweetp-1
I am following this eating plan which is basically no sugar or refined carbs. There is much more to it than that but thats the basic guts of it. The book includes some research, some background about the authors and explanation of how the diet works. I liked it wasnt just "eat this" but covered more about the whys/hows as well. Though in saying that I would have liked a little more scientific input - sometimes I felt like the research side of things was more anecdotal than actual science.
Leah
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trim Healthy Mama is so much more than just another low-glycemic meal plan. And this book does not set an ideal lifestyle or size to squeeze into.

When on this plan, you don't necessarily eat less, and you don't cut out any macronutrients/food groups (fat, carbs & protein). You learn to rearrange the three food groups in a way that is kind to your health, mind, energy, blood sugar levels, taste buds and waistline.

I am very impressed by the flexibility in this plan. Wri
Blossom
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FINALLY finished the entire book! This book is amazing. The one thing I didn't really like and then more that I did: the recipes don't always have measurements, or aren't quite right. Otherwise, this book has a ton of great information that makes sense. It is written in a fun way that makes it interesting. Following the advice in the book might be a challenge at the start but once the concept is understood, it's a lifestyle change. I fully intend to re-read this more than once.
Diana
I borrowed this book from the library because some friends recommended some of the recipes, mostly the freezer meals and the crock pot meals. I won't follow the diet that's in the book it doesn't really interest me, but I did find quite a few recipes that I'd like to try out and add to my rotating weekly menu.
Marian Alvarado
I'm so thankful a friend told me about this book. This book is life-changing! I am eating healthy, losing weight, and I've lost so many of my cravings. This plan is something I can stay with for life. Can you tell I'm excited about it?!!
Trish
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: improving-myself
Really great book to help you understand what to eat AND WHY. There's a lot of information floating around on this program now via FB groups, blog posts and pinterest, but the book is still necessary to really help you understand the basics. Lots of recipes, too, to help you get started on your new life of managing carbs and blood sugar spikes to really get your metabolism humming... There is also brief information on a number of "lifestyle" issues, including men's health, exercising, sex life, ...more
Siobhain
I hated the idea of this eating style until I tried it. Then I lost 13 fabulous pounds. However, I got a bad cholesterol report and went on a vacation where it was not possible to eat THM food and haven't ever gone back 100%. I would love to know what adaptations others with cholesterol issues have made to the THM eating plan. I hope to get back to a modified THM eating plan some day, but have not gotten sufficiently motivated yet. Some of the recipes are fabulous and some were not so good to me ...more
Selah Bell
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is not a diet - it is a lifestyle change, explaining the science behind nutrition in a simple and easy to understand manner. I don't necessarily agree with some of the foods and ingredients they recommend, but I LOVE how they explain how to balance carbs, proteins and fats. I wouldn't use this book as a full meal plan, but I love how you can take the principles they explain and create your own plan - you can be flexible and creative yourself, and I really like that. Anyway, I'd recomme ...more
Catherine Gillespie
I’ve read a lot of books on nutrition and diet, and I think the idea of carb cycling is sound, but it’s REALLY tough to implement. I don’t mean that in a “it’s hard to follow a diet” way. I tend to be more of an abstainer than a moderator, so I find it stressful to try to remember when I ate which nutrient. It’s a lot easier for me to just have a couple of hard and fast rules and stick with them. That said, if you’re a moderator, this approach could be great for you.

{Read my full review here}
Renee
A good new approach to eating a healthy diet. Overall, really good explanations, concepts, and health advice. Good low-carb recipes too. Unfortunately, the book is too huge, the recipes are right in the middle and it's a bit complicated and unwieldy. I'm glad I read it and will continue to follow many of the concepts and use some of the recipes.
Jenny Carr
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite thorough, and a common sense approach to healthy living. I wouldn't go as far as Serene, and Pearl on sweetners, and constantly limiting carbs, but the message was clear; to lose weight is to never combine fats with carbs, always build meals around protein, and exercise, including intense, and resistance training.
I have gained a lot from it, and am losing on body fat just one week in.
Alexa Price
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this book!!
Angie
May 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The ladies have a good sense of humor throughout and are very thorough with their explanations of things. The recipes are interesting and there a nice large collection of them to get you going on their plan. But, I found the recipes' lack of measurements off-putting though. You are left to guess how much of each ingredient to add. As an avid baker having precise measurements can make or break a recipe so this really bothered me.
Heather Richmond
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a THM for life! This way of eating makes so much sense and (sad to say) with no exercise our excess weight has slipped right off. This year I'll get out and get moving! I am happy in my skin and my clothes, we look and feel great! Everyone should understand the science behind eating this way!! So thankful for Pearl and Serene!!!
Linda Manley
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Trim Healthy Sisters. The information within this book can and has changed my life. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to eat a healthy lifestyle. The foods are so good! This is a lifestyle change not a diet.
April Taylor
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many of these recipes are my favorites!
Aubrey Davis
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stuff. Love the explanations. Would buy
Caren Michael
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally a well rounded, research based whole food diet plan that works for anyone looking to lose or maintain their weight. I love that the book gives suggestions and then recipes and meal options as to not leave the reader hanging. Highly recommend!
Amanda
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
They push the bullshit "eat organic" agenda. Seriously. I thought that all educated adults realized that that's just another industry? Why would it be healthier to eat an "organic" boxed food than a regular fresh food? also, this book is way too long for what it is. Don't even get me started on *helpful* bible quotes and white, middle class, Christian judgements throughout...
Sharon Pomeroy
great read on how to eat healthy
« previous 1 3 4 next »
benefits of the Max Trim 365 1 2 Dec 19, 2017 11:56PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #17 Trim, Healthy Mama 1 3 Mar 21, 2016 08:52AM

• Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook: Eat Up and Slim Down with More Than 350 Healthy Recipes
  • Trim Healthy Mama Plan: Keep It Simple, Keep It Sane
  • Trim Healthy Mama's Trim Healthy Table: More Than 300 All-New Healthy and Delicious Recipes from Our Homes to Yours: A Cookbook
  • Bad Girl Days
  • It's OK Not to Share and Other Renegade Rules for Raising Competent and Compassionate Kids
  • Who Were the Wright Brothers?
  • Who Was Walt Disney?
  • Who Was Harry Houdini?
  • Who Is Ralph Lauren?
  • Who Is Stan Lee?
  • Who Was King Tut?
  • What Was the Holocaust?
  • Where Is Machu Picchu?
  • Where Is the Bermuda Triangle?
  • Shipwreck (Island, #1)
  • Secrets of Our Nation's Capital: Weird and Wonderful Facts About Washington, DC
  • Isabelle
  • Too Good to Be True (So Little Time, #3)
Two sisters, Serene Allison and Pearl Barrett, are self -published and owners of their own publishing company. They are best selling authors for health & wellness, former Christian recording artists, mothers & entrepreneurs.