Start by marking “Raven's End” as Want to Read:
Raven's End

Raven's End

Takes us into the complex world of ravens. This book presents the adventures of a young raven who arrives unexpectedly - with no memory of his past - to join the Raven's End flock at Yamnuska, east of Banff. It describes how he learns about the beautiful and dangerous landscape.
Published May 6th 2003 by Sierra Club Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Raven's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raven's End

Start your review of Raven's End
Janie
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x-2015
Raven's End came to my shelf as a rabbit-trail result of my first-time visit to the Canadian Rockies this year. Bibliophiles, you know how it goes . . . one book leads you to another, and that one to another, almost ad infinitum.

After learning a little about the book and first searched for it, I could not find it inexpensively as a used book, but checking again later, there were a bunch of copies. So, I broke my self-imposed and bendable rule of "No more book buying until I finish reading my
Kathy
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite, keeper
This is an amazing book! The story is told from the omiscient viewpoint of the ravens at Raven's End in the Canadian rockies. The main character, Colin, arrives with no warning and no memories of who he is or, indeed, much of anything. The ravens of the flock at Raven's End especially Zack, Molly and Greta are his anchor and his major sources of information.
Following them takes us on a journey of stunning beauty, day-to-day living with plenty of silliness, life and death, good and evil and a
Noella  Van Looy
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-bezit, dieren
In het nederlands gelezen: Het Ravenklif. Heel mooi boek. Korte hoofdstukjes ook, dus het leest heel vlot. We volgen Colin, een raaf, die bij de troep van het Ravenklif terechtkomt, in eerste instantie een jaar, doorheen alle seizoenen in de Canadese Rockies, op de berg de Yamnushka. Zeer mooie beschrijvingen van het dierenleven in die omgeving, en meer bepaald van een troep raven. Natuurlijk is er ook een mooi verhaal in het boek verweven. Dit soort boeken lees ik graag.
Marcel
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Ravens End is a very good book. Ravens End is about a Raven named Colin, who crashes into a tree and forgets everything. A flock called the Ravens End Flock takes Colin in and they teach him about the world he lives in. There is a lot of suspense and danger in the book. This book teaches you about the Rockies but at the same time giving you a great story. I am recommending this book because I personally really liked it, and I think other people would to. I recommend it to anyone who is ...more
Gillian
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Pat
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, I think I like the idea of this book and its premise more than I actually liked the reading of it. Much like the book "Watership Down", told from the animal's perspective, this book follows the lives of the ravens at Raven's End and is told from the main raven, Colin's perspective. It actually would have made a delightful short story but as a 350 page book there was a lot of dragging to the story. But there were interesting aspects about animal behaviour and funny bits about how they ...more
Wayne Palmer
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those takes that attempts to tell a story from the view of a non-human, in this case, is a ravennin the Canadian Rockies. In this regard it does tell the story well and certainly links well with the spiritual aspects of the story which is hinted at throughout the book until it is clear where the author is going with it. Given all this, the book is an excellent and enjoyable read and you will find yourself knowing more about ravens without realising it.
Rebecca
Nov 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: garbage-books
I had to read this in school and to date it is probably the worst book I have ever read. There is not spoiler warning for this review as there is no plot to spoil. It is very poorly written. It is also quite long and a very tedious read, as the only thing that happens is ravens cawing and eating. I would not recommend this book to anyone, it is terrible.
Slambert
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love reading about my Home. Good a setting the scenery and I could see each place as it was read.
Through the eyes of a Raven group on Mt Yamnuska.

Great animal pov fiction. Good for teens and adults
Laura Sterkel
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Read in anticipation of a visit to the Canadian Rockies. An entertaining folkloric tale and bit of a cautionary tale environmentally with palpable appreciation for the geography/terrain and native wildlife.
Raven R. (AvalonReadsBooks)
This book dragged on. But I'm telling you that surprise twist at the end BLEW ME AWAY! I did not see that coming at all.
Fae's Finds aka Corrie
One word. Amazing.
Rawk-a-taw!
Yuxin
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How is book not more well known?!
Jo-Mary Crowchild-Fletcher
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My all time favourite book. I read this book whenever I feel like I don't know who I am and I am in need of some inspiration.

Collin is a character who has no memory of where he comes from and meets the Raven Enders who take him in. You travel with Colin through his up and downs of not knowing where he comes from and where he is going. You fall in love with the characters even if you don't meet them for long.

Gadd takes you on a journey of growth, joy, and an eye opener that makes you want the
Diane
Claire
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
One thing that drew me to this book was having heard the author of The Mind of the Raven speak. Having been introduced to the intelligence of ravens, I was intrigued to hear of a book told from the raven's perspective.

The plot was well paced: I was always interested in what would happen next. Information was delayed long enough to maintain suspense without losing interest. Most of the characters were likable (one had no redeeming qualities, however). There was some apparent anthropomorphism in
Joe Minten
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating tale of personal discovery. With elements of good, evil, happy, sad, social behaviour and the environment, there's something for almost everyone. Told from the perspective of ravens, it is interesting how other animals, including humans are perceived.
I found this book especially interesting, having spend some time with the author on a couple of occasions, and also knowing the man who gave the character "Boogs" his Scottish accent.
A truly worthwhile read.
Dena
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you love animals this is the book for you. It follows the life of a group of ravens living in the icky mountains. Told in their point of view it is a magical book and is very well written.
Sharil
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book felt like the "Watership Down" of ravens. I was a little disappointed in the wrap-up of the story though.
Anna
Nov 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed it enough, but was disappointed when Colin's identity was finally revealed. It felt like a bit of a cop-out. I give it 2.5 stars.
Anna

• Arabian Sands
  • Black Sun
  • The Jungle Books
  • Desert Solitaire
  • The Monkey Wrench Gang (Monkey Wrench Gang, #1)
  • Hayduke Lives! (Monkey Wrench Gang, #2)
  • On the Beach
  • Malarky
  • Hunger
  • The Last of the Mohicans (The Leatherstocking Tales #2)
  • Hypothermia (Inspector Erlendur #8)
  • People of the Book
  • Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time
  • In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex