Start by marking “Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)” as Want to Read:
Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)

Memories of Ice

(Malazan Book of the Fallen #3)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  41,796 ratings  ·  1,433 reviews
The ravaged continent of Genabackis is a terrifying new empire, the Pannion Domin, that devours all. An uneasy allliance resists: Onearm's army, Whiskeyjack's Bridgeburners and former enemies - forces of Warlord Caladan Brood, Anomander Rake and his Tiste Andii mages, and the Rhivi people of the plains. And the Crippled God intends revenge.
Mass Market Paperback, 925 pages
Published August 1st 2006 by Tor Fantasy (first published December 6th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Memories of Ice, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
JM Prescott To be honest? So that people could die.

To be honest? So that people could die.

The major weakness of Erikson is that all his plots "happen" so that "x can happen" -- there is no character driven storyline, no plot driven storyline, it's a grandiose train wreck. He piles up tragedy, shock, and awe for the sake of rattling readers. So the reason is: They went ahead so they could be decimated and a bunch of characters would die.

That is always his reason for everything in these books, and then he ends up piling it on so deep, the impossible and ridiculous situations that are always 'doom doom doom' drums of the apocalypse, and he's forced to solve every damn problem by Deus Ex Machina, which I've never seen so brazenly applied as I have in Malazan, and it's why I'll never desperately love these books as I've loved other fantasy this well written. Malazan is always best in the quiet moments - the friendship of Mappo and Icarium, the vulnerability of Tattersail, the desperate yet innocent love of Crokus and Apsalar, Trull Senegar's moral outrage -- building, building, building... Those are the best parts of the series.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the books are good... it's just that Erickson goes for a home run every single time at bat... and if you do that you strike out too many times. It's ok to hit single after singles, or knock in a double here and there. Not everything needs to shake the world!(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
John Paul Feehily I don't recall anyone saying she was a good empress. A competent one or an effective one perhaps.
Regarding the Cull of Unta according to Heboric in…more
Regarding the Cull of Unta according to Heboric in book 2, Empress Laseen used "the opportunity to round up malcontents and unaligned academics, to close the fist of military presence on the capital, drumming the need for more troops, more recruits, more protection against the treasonous scheming of the noble class. The seized assets paid for this martial expansion.
After the Cull, order was reinstated, the victims' assets were seized by the empire and the surviving victims were deported as slaves.'
So while it was a horrific act it was also an effective one. A few hundred killed for the benefit of the whole empire.(less)

·  41,796 ratings  ·  1,433 reviews

Start your review of Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Dearest Rake,

Omg! My husband has arrived!

The Tiste Andii had gathered into a silent ring around the central clearing, awaiting the arrival of their master.

The black, silver-maned dragon emerged from the darkness overhead like a piece of night torn loose, flowing down to settle with a soft crunch of talons in the plain's stony soil. The huge, terrible beast blurred even as it landed, with a warm flow of spice-laden air swirling out to all sides as the sembling drew the dragon's shape inward.
Petrik
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: epic fantasy fans
A peerless and jaw-dropping epic installment; I consider myself damn lucky to have witnessed this powerfully evocative tale.

I’ve stated that it’s mandatory to read at least two books of the series in order to truly find out whether you’ll love this series or not. I retract that statement and change it to three books instead. Trust me, if you don’t love Memories of Ice, you might as well drop the series now. And that would be okay because no series can work for everyone. Honestly speaking, I had a bit of
Choko
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-grim
*** 4.85 ***

Second time around even better than the first!!! What was I thinking! This deserves to be rounded up to 5 stars!!! But the pain.... Just as painful and potent as the first time!

__________________________________

*** 4.35 ***

A buddy read with my family and friends at BB&B! Because we love Fantasy and are a bit of masochists too...

"..."And the fact remained, whatever games the gods played, it was hard-working dirt-poor bastards like him who suffered for it.”..."

Epic Fantasy of this sco/>***
TS Chan
The harder the world, the fiercer the honour.

This in-world quote succinctly explained why Memories of Ice is one of my favourite volumes of my favourite grimdark epic fantasy series.  It is the reason why I even read grimdark in the first place, given that I am so easily assailed by emotions that one wonders why I willingly put myself through such heartbreak. So bear with me throughout this series when I keep waxing lyrical about how humanity manifests its most awe-inspiring qualities in the face of rel
Conor
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
'This one was so good it makes Deadhouse Gates look like Gardens of the Moon.'

Memories of Ice was the strongest instalment in this series so far, which is high praise indeed. It tells the sweeping tale of a clash of gods, filled with epic battles, complex schemes and brutal violence. This book can at times be dark and unforgiving, as much so as any ‘grimdark’ I’ve read. However Erikson brilliantly balances this out with heroism and courage. This contrast makes the merciless account of human traged
Samir
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
18.06.2018. Re-read thoughts:

When it comes to traditional fantasy, for me, Tolkien is unparalleled and nothing comes close to The Lord of the Rings. Middle Earth is an unique world, with rich history and various races, cultures and mysteries. And when it comes to modern fantasy, or to be more precise, modern epic/high fantasy, Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen sits on an uncontested throne with Memories of Ice as its crown.

Original review:

Memories of Ice is the third installmen/>Memories
Orient
MoI is the third book in the epic series about Malazan. It’s really epic as I haven’t read any such other series with quite long books, so many characters and many plots/subplots. Moreover things are now really starting to make sense for me when I finished MoI! :D But I’m just a silly lass so don’t mind these words. You may feel different about the book :)

After a couple of weeks and about 900 pages in this book, I’m exhausted and depressed a bit. Hah, I’m not sure what I can write more about this
Mayim de Vries
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Epilogue: Iced me over. And then melted me to the very marrow of my bones.*

Chapter 25: The shadow of Black Coral over the Itkovian’s gift. When vengeance is not enough. Never enough.

Chapter 24: Impossible! No… No way! Cannot be… Not him biting the ice…

Chapter 23: Mott Irregulars. Let’s cheer for all the Marshals. And the Bole brothers. And please, can we meet the Bole sister?

Chapter 22: Lost memories. The power of what once we were. Of what could have been. Beware of walking on thin ice.

Chapter 21: Itkovian is/>Chapter/>Chapter
Robin (Bridge Four)
I don’t know if I’m becoming a more acquainted with Steven Erickson’s writing and thus I understood more of this book OR this book was just more readable than the first 2.

description

Finally stuff is making more and more sense to me. But there is so much that happens in this book that it is really hard to sum it up in a review.

However this is what I’ve now learned from Steven Erickson in this series:
- Myseries:
Markus
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, malazan, fantasy
"We shall converge within the Pannion Domin. Us, them, and the surviving clans of the T'lan Imass. There will be, without doubt, battles aplenty. The crushing of an empire is never easy. I should know, having crushed a few in my time."

Memories of Ice aka. “how many ridiculously awesome characters can you actually shove into one single army?”

In the south of the continent of Genabackis, the Pannion Domin arises. An empire of bloodthirsty fanatics led by an insane religious Seer who threatens to/>Memories
edge of bubble
“The harder the world, the fiercer the honour.”

The Bridgeburners - Sorry, Hedge, Detoran, Fiddler, Quick Ben, WhiskeyJack, Mallet, Antsy, Kalam

This will be more of a my feelies about stuff and fangirly essay than a review. There's your warning!

Memories of Ice was literally the longest read of my life. I've never taken more than 2 weeks to finish a book, be it good or dull as watching two turtles go at it. But, due to the curse upon my malazan reading experience, I know this is Erikson's doing, he unleashed stick wizaKalam
This
Jody
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'It has begun here, on Genabackis, but that is simply the heart. This tide will spread. It will infect every city, on every continent, it will devour empires and nations from within.'

In Memories of Ice we are returned back to the continent of Genabackis. Erikson's decision to flip back and forth between books wasn't apparent to me at first, but I was happy to be back with some familiar characters from GotM. After reading the prologue I knew this was going to be something different than the first two bo
Deborah Obida
Diversity is worth celebrating, Humbrall Taur, for it is the birthplace of wisdom.

One of my friends on GR who has read this books said, Memories of Ice (MoI) makes Deadhouse Gates(DG) looks like Gardens of the moon(GoTM) and I could not agree more. The predeccessors of this book were great but this surpassed all my expectations. The plot is Aamazing, lots of revelations, answers to questions from the first two books, we finally get to know about the origin of Dragnipur, the elder gods, what made the
Stefan Bach
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A true masterpiece of the genre.

If Gardens of the Moon (however ambitious) was a sloppy introduction with narrative obstructions that prevented shiny and glossy entry into the series, then duo of Deadhouse Gates with its emotional wrestling and Memories of Ice with its flawless execution, were determined in their goal to win you over for eternity.

In my opinion, this is Erikson’s best book. And the words I would use to describe it are: perfectly balanced.
Sufficiently developed newly introduced characters, engulfed with spry sense of humor - someth
Kevin Xu
This is one of the most EPIC book I have ever read. Scratch that, it is the most EPIC book I have ever read. This book is the PRIME EXAMPLE of how fantasy should be WRITTEN and why I read fantasy. This is why the word, EPIC was created and invented, to describe and sum up this book in one word. The book has absolutely no fillers what so ever. Steven Erikson is the most EPIC writer I have ever read, and this is his BEST book of all time. He is CLEARLY LAPS AHEAD of George R.R. Martin in WRITING STYLE, ...more
Kaora
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Memories are woven tapestries hiding hard walls-tell me my friends, what hue your favored thread, and I in turn, will tell the cast of your soul.

So far this is my favorite book in the series. I struggled with a large part of Gardens of the Moon as Erikson throws readers in to the massive world he has created, and it is sink or swim. In Deadhouse Gates, there are a few familiar faces from Gardens of the Moon but the majority are new, and I found it a bit dragging in parts. However with Memori
Scott  Hitchcock
Reread:

I think after the first read I was so shell shocked I really didn't know what to write. Even on reread this book just takes it out of you. The amount of empathy written into the characters and the scenes. SE builds it up so well that a simple summary sentence such as "He was my friend" leaves you gut punched.

The first time around if forced to choose I would have said DHG was a nano increment better than MOI. I have to go the other way upon reread. MOI is by far the superior story. I thi
Graeme Rodaughan
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of Epic Fantasy
A towering work of imagination - Steven Erikson is the best writer I've read.

This is such an epic story, I figured a typical review couldn't do it justice, so I asked for some help from the characters who always know best.

Harllo: "I won the best friend award for this story. My only regret is that I had but one life to give in defense of those I love. (But, then again, Gruntle becomes a cat, I'm not over fond of cats...)"

Itkovian: "I signed up for the role of Shield An
David Sven
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dark-fantasy
As with the previous two books in the Malazan Series, my reread of Memories of Ice was a very different, far superior experience than my first read. Again, the density of world building combined with the layers of mystery and foreshadowing are just mind boggling and difficult to appreciate the first time round, but are a wonder to unpack on subsequent reads.

This third book of the series takes us back to the continent on Genabackis where we are reunited with the Bridgeburners as we pick
Michael Britt
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow, just....wow!!! Where to begin? This will be another tough review, due to spoilers, and I like to keep these spoiler free. So, I'll start with the real rating: 6 STARTS OUT OF 5 . This sounds like a joke, but I mean it. I absolutely loved the first 2 books and this one just blew them out of the water.

I'll say what little I can of the story. Firstly, this is so seriously jam packed with info and reveals from the first book that I found myself having to scan GotM quite frequently. This book i
Bradley
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think it's actually this book where I'm finally getting into the swing of things better, but perhaps that's just familiarity with the endless procession of characters. It helped when I finally broke down and got the help of a wiki. :)

On the other hand, I sure as hell never needed help loving Kruppe even from the first book and that sure as hell hasn't changed by the third. What a personality!

And of course there's a lot to love about Brood and Rake, both in story, histor
Gavin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This was the best Malazan book so far. It was so good that it ranks alongside the best the fantasy genre has to offer. Steven Erikson did a great job of weaving his gigantic cast of characters and complex plot and subplots into a cohesive fast paced and intriguing story.

The story picked up from where we left off in Gardens of the Moon. Dujek's host have been outlawed by the Malazan Empire and are in the process of forming an alliance with their old foes, led by Caladan Brood and Anomander Rake,
Olivia
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I think it's time to admit that Malazan and I will not become friends. Maybe at some point in the future, maybe never, but despite being a huge fantasy fan and this being the ultimate fantasy series, it just is not for me.

I scroll through the reviews of my friends and see that I'm absolutely in the minority (read: I think I'm the only one of my GR friends), but I just don't know what else to say.

It did not captivate me. It did not make me emotional. And I could not connec
Emma
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With all the pain and loss that fill this book, in this reread it is Itkovian who has moved me to tears the most often. In a series that abounds with memorable characters, this mortal man stands out as the epitome of honour and sacrifice.

My horse, sir, my soldiers...
*Absorbed in Countless Worlds*
Simply one of the best books i ever read. Period. Erikson is a master storyteller in every aspect.
Evgeny
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The surviving people from the first book are back: Bridgeburners, Kruppe, Tool, Anomander Rake, Dujek, and Caladan Brood together with some new characters.

A big bad guy (and I do mean - BAD) is entering into the game - The Chained God. The threat of this is so big - some of the Elder Gods are coming back just to stop it. It turns out - Quick Ben does not like the bad guy either and is determined to stop him.

The first move of The Chained God is to rouse some fanatics on the south of continent a
Brimm
May 07, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Malazan fans
Shelves: fantasy
Although Memories of Ice is considered by many to be the best of the Malazan books, I found it to be the weakest (edit, 2014: at least when I first wrote this review back in 2005 or so and had only read up to Midnight Tides. Since then there have been much weaker installments). This is so because of the following reasons:

-The Mhybe storyline: Literally 150 pages of a character whining with nothing important happening. It is perfectly credible that given the Mhybe's situation she woul
ijeoma Agbaje
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing

"We are all pushed into a world of madness, yet it must now fall to each of us to pull back from this Abyss, to drag ourselves free of the descending spiral. From horror, grief must be fashioned and from grief, compassion"
-Itkovian

To start with MoI was a wild ride & probably a fairly confusing one at times. This wasn't a story stictly about a particular set of people. This was a book that had a plot with a truck load of sub plots. From the Outlawed Malazan/Brood/Rake/Pannion Seer plot, to the Grey Swords/Capustan

Veronica
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, buddy-read
"By your hand, the new game is begun. By your hand, the world shall tremble!"

The third book in this (so far) stellar fantasy series brings the action and the focus back to the continent of Genabackis. There is a definite sense of familiarity here, to reward readers who have stuck with the series this far, with many of the characters we met in the first book returning here. Book one, Gardens of the Moon, mainly dealt with the conflict between the invading Malazan forces - led by Dujek One Arm’s Host and Whis
Kaitlin
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, this book... what to say about this book!? I'll start off with my overall thoughts of it and I'd give this a 4.5* review overall because this is a much better written and more exciting and complicated and cool story than book 1 and 2. I felt that Gardens of the Moon was a really character focused story and there were real moments of wonder but there wasn't a lot of battle whereas Deadhouse Gates had nearly all battle focus and nowhere near as much time focusing on the characters. I fe ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Page numbering request 4 16 Sep 25, 2019 12:17PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Memories of Ice [May 18, 2018] 374 92 Jun 30, 2018 02:58AM
The Malazan Fallen: MOI - Chapter Nineteen - NO SPOILERS 27 153 Jul 12, 2017 02:36AM
The Malazan Fallen: MOI - Chapter Twenty-Five & Prolugue 53 191 Jan 23, 2017 02:13PM
The Malazan Fallen: MOI - Chapter Twenty-Four - NO SPOILERS 34 177 Jan 17, 2017 01:07PM

• Night of Knives (Novels of the Malazan Empire, #1)
  • Return of the Crimson Guard (Novels of the Malazan Empire, #2)
  • Stonewielder (Novels of the Malazan Empire, #3)
  • Orb Sceptre Throne (Novels of the Malazan Empire #4)
  • Dancer's Lament (Path to Ascendancy, #1)
  • Blood and Bone (Novels of the Malazan Empire #5)
  • Assail (Novels of the Malazan Empire, #6)
  • Best Served Cold
  • Kellanved's Reach (Path to Ascendancy, #3)
  • The Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #1)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • Deadhouse Landing (Path to Ascendancy, #2)
  • Chronicles of the Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #1-3)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • The Books of the South (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3.5-5)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • The White Rose (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3)
  • Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #3)
  • Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time, #13)
  • Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • Shadows Linger (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #2)
  • The Heroes (First Law World, #5)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1)
  • A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
  • The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12)
  • Red Country (First Law World, #6)
Steven Erikson is the pseudonym of Steve Rune Lundin, a Canadian novelist, who was educated and trained as both an archaeologist and anthropologist. His best-known work is the series, the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 books)
  • Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)
  • Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
  • House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
  • Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
  • The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)
  • Reaper's Gale (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)
  • Toll the Hounds (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #8)
  • Dust of Dreams (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #9)
  • The Crippled God (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #10)
“Kallor shrugged. '[...] I have walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes,' [said Caladan Brood.] 'You never learn.”
365 likes
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned, T’lan Imass. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the wold. It must be given freely. In abundance.” 176 likes