Start by marking “The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta” as Want to Read:
The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta

The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta

In the art of fantastic illustration the work of Frazetta stands alone - unique in the effectiveness of its lushly sensuous exaggeration, powerful and dramatic, with a sure sense of composition that invariably directs the eye to the most important element in any painting.

Girl on a Horse • (1975) • interior art
Introduction • (1975) • essay by Betty Ballantine
Cindy Is Saved
Paperback, Second U.S. Edition, 97 pages
Published October 1975 by Rufus Publications/Peacock Press/Bantam Books (first published August 1975)

Start your review of The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta
William Zupancic
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-r-t-about-many
FRANK FRAZETTA HAS BEEN , AND IS MY ALL-TIME " FAVORITE " MAN OF FANTASY ART !!! ... I LOVE HIS WORK !!!!!!! ... WILLIAM ZUPANCIC
David
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the best collections of Frazetta's artwork, with prints of classic paintings from Conan, John Carter of Mars, Pellucidar, Lord of the Rings, etc. Frazetta's iron-thighed barbarians and lush women are oft-imitated, never duplicated. He truly is unique among fantasy artists. Even Boris Vallejo is not his equal.
Jim
Frazetta did a lot of the cover art for fantasy & SF books. His covers for the Lancer editions of the Conan books were what got me interested in him. Later, I recognized his style & bought a book just for the cover art - my first Kane book, by Karl Wagner. He's done a wide range including a lot of the Barsoom series for the Martian books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Also some Tarzan. He also illustrated for Playboy or Penthouse - I think he did the 'Little Annie Fanny' cartoons for a while.

I'm not
Timothy Boyd
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An incredible book full of some of the best paintings by my favorite artist. Beautiful large pages really bring these paintings to full viewing pleasure. If you love the art of Frank Frazetta then this is a book for you. Highly recommended.
Philip
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1970s, 4-stars, arts, re-read
Frank Frickin' Frazetta was so The Man for young male art students back in the early 70's. Aside from the subject matter, he had such a dramatic sense of color, lighting and composition - I still get a thrill out of looking at his stuff today.
Van
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book disappeared from my collection long ago. Seriously miss it!
Erik Essington
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Grew up with this book. Images are mesmerizing.
MB Taylor
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
The first and best of the early five book series reprinting Frazetta's work on slick paper. Volume one reprints 6 of his legendary Conan covers for Lancer books, including the iconic Conan the Adventurer (possibly a repainting/reworking, given the ©74) and my favorite Conan, the cover to Conan of Cimmeria featuring a lone swordsman facing two larger warriors wielding doubled bitted axes.

Also included are three of my favorite Frazettas, "The Silver Warrior" (cover from a US edition of Michael Moo
Andy
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-books
With all the other art books I have, I can't believe it's taken me this long to get my first Frank Frazetta artbook. Picked this up second hand and it's a more than welcome addition to my library. Full of iconic Frank Frazetta art including the 'Egyptian Queen' that appears on the cover, some interior art from the Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter/Barsoom series, The Death Dealer and more. It's old (the copy I have was published in 1976), but totally worth looking out for. If you're a fan of Fra ...more
Serge Pierro
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This is the first volume of the initial series of books collecting the art of Frank Frazetta, and it is probably the best. Many of the iconic paintings are featured, including the legendary "Death Dealer" (including a closeup showing the detail). Many are recognizable as the covers to the Conan paperback series and the covers to various Warren publications. Also featured is some of Frazetta's beautiful pen and ink work. Highly recommended.
Thomas
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, fantasy
RIP Frank. One of the all time greats. When I see artists like Boris who try to imitate him, it only brings into focus how pure Frazetta's talent was. I can't stand it when people make jokes about painted vans and Molly Hatchet record covers, trying to reduce the huge impact Frazetta has had on illustration. He is a legend!
Michael
090616: again. just a trip back to my childhood. just the inspiration for so many sides of vans artwork... never better than this work. kids nowadays- where can they see this style- oh yeah: everywhere in your average super violent video games...
M.i.
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's something to be said about art work that seemingly transports you to the locations and worlds being displayed and doing so without the use of words or language. That's just how great this book is and of course Frazetta's artistry. My only qualm was just how quick I got through the book.
Elijah Meeks
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first in a series of books exploring Frazetta's work. Ballentine's writing doesn't match up to the art and her exploration of Frazetta's technique and training is really little more than fandom, but the artwork is so spectacular that you don't mind.
Groot
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
The finest artist of the 20th century. I am Groot.
Friedrich Haas
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Frazetta was a strong new wind, fresh, powerful, vibrant, and heralding change.
Ana
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Masterfully beautiful. Frank frazetta's work is unique and fantastic in itself.
John
Laughingwolf
Jun 28, 2012
Nathan Anderson
Dec 19, 2013

• Dungeon Master's Guide (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Monster Manual (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Doctor Who: Blood Harvest
  • Doctor Who: Time Lord Victorious: The Knight, The Fool and The Dead
  • Volo's Guide to Monsters (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man
  • Dungeons & Dragons Art & Arcana: A Visual History
  • Doctor Who: Impossible Worlds: A 50-Year Treasury of Art and Design
  • Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil
  • Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction
  • Conan (Book 1)
  • Conan the Usurper (Conan, #8)
  • The Hour of Our Death
  • Hellboy, Vol. 9: The Wild Hunt
  • Conan the Wanderer (Conan, #4)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm
Frank Frazetta was an American fantasy and science fiction artist, noted for work in comic books, paperback book covers, paintings, posters, record-album covers and other media. He was the subject of a 2003 documentary.

* Complete list of his book covers.