Start by marking “Emma in Buttonland” as Want to Read:
Emma in Buttonland

Emma in Buttonland

Emma is staying with her cranky Uncle Hubert and strict Aunt Mechthild during the holiday. At first it appears that this will be a long and dull visit, filled with lonely activities. However, Emma soon discovers that her aunt and uncle have countless rooms, each designated with their very own quirky collection. There is a room just for snail-shells and another for perfume ...more
Published October 1st 2013 by Sky Pony (first published July 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Emma in Buttonland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emma in Buttonland

Aditi
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
After a long day at office, it’s so relaxing to unwind with some good books, especially the ones which promises to take you on an adventure in a whole new world called Buttonland. Emma in Buttonland by Ulrike Rylance is a very sweet adventurous tale of a young girl named Emma.

First of all a huge thanks to the author, Ulrike Rylance, for sending over me a copy of her book in return for an honest review.

Emma comes to live with her uncle and aunt during her holidays in their house. Soon she figures
Wanda
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, nookbooks
26 NOV 2013 -- Can you believe it? Buttons who talk!? Well, I can. What fun this book shall be to read.

2 MAR 2014 - (Synopsis provided by Barnes & Noble - not my own.)

Andrea Wright
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable little book that I need to get a copy for Emma. Will be great to read in middle grade and beyond. Nothing better than finding a land inside a room.
Zoe
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
With a pinch of The Borrowers and a sprinkling of The Wizard of Oz, this is a very sweet tale, perfect for any child with an interest in sewing or their granny's button box. With dear illustrations by Silke Leffler this would make a lovely bedtime read.
Bookbureader
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won this book through Goodreads first reads program!

It has taken us awhile to get to it but my daughters (10 and 5) were finally able to read Emma in Buttonland as our nightly bedtime story.

A beautiful book inside and out! The writing and story are great, very fresh adventure story about a little girl dealing with crazy relatives who suddenly finds herself transported to this mysterious buttonland. The accompanying illustrations at the bottom of each page were nice as well.

Honestly my 5 year
Cathy
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-read
Emma in Buttonland by Ulrike Rylance is a sweet little story for children between the ages of 8 and 12. This magical narrative follows Emma, who is exploring cluttered rooms full of unusual collections, while she stays with her aunt and uncle. Whimsical portrayals of the various types of buttons, fabrics, the contents of a sewing box and even the debris we carelessly toss together allow children to stretch their imaginations. Larger life themes such as judging others by appearance and bullying a ...more
Jennifer Oldroyd
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
9-year-old daughter's review:

"5 stars. It was a mystery and it was so fun. And it was so interesting because I love to sew and it was all about sewing things. She's like me: she loves puzzles and sewing and she has my name!"

My review:

"Not a huge fan. Some of the vernacular was rather lowbrow and I always dislike that - especially in children's books (i.e. idiot, shut-up). I think it's lazy writing, as well as setting a poor example for children. The plot was kind of cute, it interested my daught
Melissa
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I won this book on Goodreads. I found this book to be very entertaining, fast read. I actually entered to win this book for my Great nieces, but I am going to have to hold onto it for a while because it is for children older than three years old. I guarantee that when they get old enough to read it, they will love it. It is very imaginative and well written. The characters are wonderful as well. I recommend this book for children of the "tween" age.
Amy Krohn
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a very imaginative book, and I liked how it stretched the way my kids think. Most of the characters were flat. Nonetheless, reading this book was much requested by my six and five-year-old. And even my three-year-old had to see the pictures on the bottom of each page whenever I turned the page.
Mary Lee
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Part BORROWERS, part WIZARD OF OZ, this illustrated novel is quite the treat!

Emma suddenly finds herself the size of a button and in a land of lost buttons and other small things. She has to figure out how to get back to her actual size.

Review next week on the blog.
Natira
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Ich habe mich wunderbar mit diesem Kinderbuch unterhalten gefühlt, auch wenn ich über das empfohlene Kinderalter schon weit hinaus bin. :) Fritzi Haberlandt liest (und lebt) den Text ganz wunderbar und ich denke - ich kenne ja nur die Hörbuchform -, dass dies die Geschichte noch einmal hebt.
Sue Sutherland
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Reminded me of Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz. There are some good lessons here - value of people and asking for help.
Leslie Conner
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
delightful story, creative and endearing
Jacque Summers
Jul 15, 2014
Jodi
Apr 03, 2014
  • Gollup the Woods | Twin Power
  • The Pirate's Coin (Sixty-Eight Rooms, #3)
  • Three Spaces
  • Red Ted and the Lost Things
  • Nasreddine
  • A Mostly Ghostly Christmas
  • Revisioning Red Riding Hood Around the World: An Anthology of International Retellings
  • Royal Affliction (The Anti-Princess Saga #1)
  • Gifts Not Yet Given
  • Murder by Christmas (Edna Davies, #4)
  • Daredevil: The Daring Life of Betty Skelton
  • Buddha's Book of Stress Reduction: Finding Serenity and Peace with Mindfulness Meditation
  • Love Among Pigeons
  • Unidentified Funny Objects 2 (UFO #2)
  • Weighting for Mr. Right
  • The Blood Binding (Spellbinder #3)
  • Tua and the Elephant