Start by marking “Joy At Work: A Revolutionary Approach To Fun on the Job” as Want to Read:
Joy At Work: A Revolutionary Approach To Fun on the Job

Joy At Work: A Revolutionary Approach To Fun on the Job

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  227 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
PRAISE FOR JOY AT WORK This is not your everyday leadership book about how to survive in the corporate jungle, or how to outfox the competition to build a bigger bank account. Dennis Bakke knows that business is not just about the bottom line. It's about something much more important. "Work," as Bakke explains, "is one of the ways we honor or 'glorify' God." Today, joy and ...more
Published March 7th 2005 by Charisma House (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Joy At Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joy At Work

Philippe
"A special workplace has many ingredients. The feeling that you are part of a team, a sense of community, the knowledge that what you do has real purpose—all these things help make work fun. But by far the most important factor is whether people are able to use their individual talents and skills to do something useful, significant, and worthwhile."

This is the extraordinary story of a guy who left his government job to set up a successful energy company that for decades pioneered a innovative wo
Bill Pence
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author, who was CEO of AES, an energy company, writes that his passion is to make work exciting, rewarding, stimulating, and enjoyable. He states that this is a book for people who want more from their jobs than a paycheck and a benefits package. He believes that the workplace should be fun and fulfilling. He writes that joy at work gives people the freedom to use their talents and skills for the benefit of society, without being crushed or controlled by autocratic supervisors or staff offic ...more
Andres
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un excelente libro, extremadamente recomendable. Esta revolucionaria manera de gestionar una empresa que propone Bakke es fascinante. Un historia contada con una pasión notable. Sin duda el éxito de una empresa es generar valor para todos la que la conforman, permitir que la gente se sienta parte de ella, tomando decisiones y haciéndose responsable de las mismas. Uno de los libros que más me ha inspirado a cambiar mi manera de ver el liderazgo.
Scott Hayden
Bakke represents a integrated individual. He doesn't compartmentalize his beliefs, but lets them infiltrate his whole life. Though he does not overtly proclaim his faith in the main text, his faith is evident throughout. If you can't see that, read the appendix then go back and look for the quiet weave of worldview.
Kristen
Nov 13, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
An interesting read, if a little rah-rah and self-righteous. Excellent book for a manager. Knowing how successful his company was, and understanding how he built it and tinkered with the "traditional models", you become really impressed with his ability to stick to his guns and to think outside the box.
Kaan Akşit
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book introduces a new way on a biggest part of our lives: "Work", in which you will find an interesting inspirational point of view. It simply questions starting from virtues such as "honesty" and "culture", extend the definition to a point by highlighting every job is or should be in a constant state of change. The audience that this book targets is simply everyone and everybody... You may ask why giving 3 rather than 5 starts; It is quite simple, please please please remove the religious p ...more
Nathan Gray
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book describes the journey toward creating a work environment where people are more energized the longer they work there. Rather than causing me frustration that I don't work in a place like that, I felt healed as I read it.
G Stephen
Aug 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is an incredible story of leadership and how values shape an organization, business, school, church, mission or government. This book will help people who want to know how decentralized organizations like YWAM are successful and why young people are so attracted. Dennis is a Christian with a biblical based view of the world, a Harvard Business graduate that put this into practice with his work in government services, an energy company and now one of the largest chartered school systems in t ...more
Michael
Apr 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good book for a perspective on the differences that exist for people who have joy in their work vs. people who feel opposite of joy in their work. It is geared more toward managers or those who may have more control over their work environment than those who work for the man. If you work for the man, it makes you wish you didn't.

The premise of the book is that people who are given authority/responsibility to make important decisions in their area of expertise and then in turn are held accountab
Donitello
Apr 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are “fun at work” books, and there are “inspirational leadership” books. But I’ve never read a book like this. Maybe there isn’t one.

In 1982, author Dennis W. Bakke founded AES Corporation, a global energy company with revenues reaching $8.6 billion. Just your typical energy giant, but with one little difference: Their goal was to create the most fun workplace ever known!

This book is in the same category as BEN & JERRY'S: THE INSIDE SCOOP and NUTS: SOUTHWEST AIRLINES' CRAZY RECIPE FO
Michael
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Same Sh#t, different day"

Hear people say that? Maybe said it yourself?

What a sad way to live!

Bakke explores the meaning and purpose for work through his own leadership of AES (ranked #151 on Fortune 500, ahead of Duke Energy). Though many find their jobs a drudgery, there are some that love their jobs and are empowered by their work. What makes the difference? And are their principles that can be applied to any company to make work a place of challenge and fulfillment vs. real life Dilbert?

Clare Cannon
By helping people at all professional levels find purpose, Bakke aspires to a world of work which values each person and the unique contribution they can make. Based on solid principles of leadership and values-based character development, he shows how treat people as people, encourage workers to form goals and set out to achieve them, and to deal with the crises which form part of every functioning workplace. As he says in the introduction, this is a book for workers, students, managers, leader ...more
Tommy
Feb 02, 2008 marked it as read_me_piles
PVG must have printed so many of these books that at one point Amazon had the title discounted to about 90% off, AND if you bought one you got one free. I've never seen them do that ever. I picture gigantic boxes of Joy At Work clogging the efficient process walkways at Amazon.com, causing workplace injuries as staff trip over piles of books stashed everywhere. Or maybe it's an anti-capitalist manifesto that was spreading through Amazon like the plague.

In any case, I bought a whole bunch for my
John Williams
Aug 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Good book on management. Dude ran an energy business with 30,000 that had only 5 tiers in their management hierarchy. Has good insights regarding how to treat employees so they actually feel their gifts are fully utilized and they have a say in how the business is ran. I feel he was a little over the top in a few areas, but overall a valuable resource if you are ever going to be in authority over people in a workplace.
Lisa
May 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book got slightly repetitive toward the end, but I liked what he had to say. It is kind of sad to think we need a book to remind us of why work should be a joyful thing... but, for many people, work is just another paycheck. Bakke challenges the reader to look at ways to change that, and I think his ideas about extending decision-making throughout a workplace, providing mentoring opportunties for all staff, and eliminating the bureaucracy are right on. A thought-provoking read.
Laurisa
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: misc-non-fiction
Not my typical genre (as it doesn't have a plot!). I read this book as part of my role on the Board of Education for a start-up charter school this year. Innovative business ideas, and a good guide for consistency between "personal" & "work" values. Applicable to situations from business to volunteer work to family.
Robin Peake
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work, books-i-own
Revolutionary yet simple ideas to make the workplace fun, returning to a pre-Industrial Revolution age where every person is a business person with responsibility and empowerment.

Frightening for managers, empowering for employees, fascinating for all.
Ruthanna Ruffer
Aug 07, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a good book, very motivational and I really subscribe to the idea that empowering employees makes them happier and more successful. But it was short on concrete ideas and about 100 pages too long.
Jason
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lived vision of company without management that allowed people to love their work and have purpose on an amazing scale. The Christ-imitating concept of servant leadership courageously applied. A significant influence on what we're doing in our company as I write.
Stevie
Sep 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, books-owned
Very good book. Bakke writes from a biblical view of work and glorifying God in it. His central idea is that work is most enjoyable and fun when employees can utilize their skills and abilities to fulfill their job role as they see best.
Mike
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a must read for all managers, especially managers who are christian.
Paul Rayner
Sep 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much to think about. Do I have the courage to implement what Bakke advocates. Do you?
Martha Childers
Struggling at work? Bakke shows how behaving morally at work is an end in itself.
Jim
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: phd, 2016
Easy and enjoyable read.
Esther
Aug 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it helps to see a gospel approach to work...to see your job in the context of god's greater agenda or story for the world.
Beth Ann Locke
I very much enjoyed this inspiring book!
crystal
Feb 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career
great principles, a little lengthy in the delivery.
Thomas Umstattd Jr.
Great book on empowerment and flat organizational models.
Matt
rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Quiet Leadership: Six Steps to Transforming Performance at Work
  • The Decision Maker
  • How the Way We Talk Can Change the Way We Work: Seven Languages for Transformation
  • Het weekend van 7 dagen
  • A Game Plan for Life: The Power of Mentoring
  • Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?: What It Takes To Be An Authentic Leader
  • Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • The Highest Goal: The Secret That Sustains You in Every Moment
  • What Matters Most: The Power of Living Your Values
  • Making Conflict Work: Navigating Disagreement Up and Down Your Organization
  • The Catholic Girl's Survival Guide for the Single Years: The Nuts and Bolts of Staying Sane and Happy While Waiting for Mr. Right
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • 1001 Things Every Teen Should Know Before They Leave Home: (Or Else They'll Come Back)
  • Fish! Sticks: A Remarkable Way to Adapt to Changing Times and Keep Your Work Fresh
  • The Church of Irresistible Influence: Bridge-Building Stories to Help Reach Your Community
  • Work in the Spirit: Toward a Theology of Work
  • When Fish Fly: Lessons for Creating a Vital and Energized Workplace from the World Famous Pike Place Fish Market
207448
DENNIS W. BAKKE was raised in the foothills of Mount Baker in rural Washington State. He graduated from the University of Puget Sound, Harvard Business School, and the National War College.

Bakke co-founded The AES Corporation in 1981 and served as its president and CEO from 1994 to 2002. He helped build AES into a Fortune 200 global power company with 27,000 people in 27 countries. He is now presi
More about Dennis W. Bakke...

“A joy-filled workplace gives people the freedom to use their talents and skills for the benefit of society, without being crushed or controlled by autocratic supervisors.” 2 likes
“• In the dynamic world in which we live, every job is or should be in a constant state of change. Some jobs change faster than others. Each of us has to keep adjusting our work to keep up with the changes in technology, operations, and regulation.” 1 likes