Start by marking “Web of Debt” as Want to Read:
Web of Debt

Web of Debt

This book exposes important, often obscured truths about our money system and our economic past and future. Our money is not what we have been led to believe. The creation of money has been privatized -- taken over by a private money cartel. It is all done by sleight of hand, concealed by economic double-speak. "Web of Debt" unravels the deception and presents a crystal cl ...more
Published July 25th 2007 by Third Millennium Press

To ask other readers questions about Web of Debt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Web of Debt

Start your review of Web of Debt
Donitello
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Never schooled in finance myself, I am admittedly not someone whose opinion you want to rely on in this matter. Nonetheless, I am offering it, for one reason: Since its 2007 publication, many of the alarming economic predictions in this book have come to pass exactly as described.

I don't suggest that Ms. Brown is a prophet -- virtually everything in her book is drawn from other sources (and scrupulously cited) -- but simply that she has got her facts straight. This being the case, her book shoul
Toma
May 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics
There is a huge flaw in the world we live in and almost no-one talks about it. This book explains the monetary and banking system that enslaves us. In depth view to the history of banking, how we got to this point and what should we do about it.

Fairly easy reading. No excessive use of difficult terms. As an non-native english speaker I had no difficultues reading this book.

One of those books everyone should read.
Joel.
Apr 18, 2009 rated it did not like it
This is an excellent book to read if you want misleading, incomplete and confusing information regarding this history of banking and finance.
Her core argument is that a fractional reserve banking system is dangerous and that the federal reserve system in the United States does not operate in the best interests of the citizenry - topics that could be effectively argued. But the author fails miserably in this poorly researched, confusingly-argued screed.
On basic theory she is simply wrong. She
Clif
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We have put the fox in charge of the hen-house and the time to end it before complete collapse of our economic system is short.

Here are some basic facts.

The government of this country can, under the Constitution, issue money without going into debt to do so. It did so during the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. However, under pressure from wealth, the government has given up this power to the banks in what is called a fractional reserve lending system.

The Federal Reserve (the central bank of
Zy Marquiez
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews
“The real truth of the matter is that a financial element in the large centers has owned the government since the days of Andrew Jackson.”
– Franklin D. Roosevelt

Ellen Hodgson Brown, J.D., is author of the recently published Public Banking Solution, but also the incisive and well documented The Web Of Debt – The Shocking Truth About Our Money System And How We Can Break Free. Her latter work is what will be covered lightly here.

For most of the modern world, money has been a staple of everyday lif
Lumen Natura
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: monetary-system
This is a book that everyone in the USA should read. It gives extensive history of our monetary system and how it has been usurped by the bankers. It also gives some very good and well researched alternatives for us to make currency into a tool that can assist mankind instead of enslaving them.

Ellen Hodgson Brown makes the whole story interesting with a great writing style as well as by bringing to light the whole monetary allegory that is behind the all American fairy tale The Wizard of Oz.
Suzy
Nov 05, 2008 is currently reading it
Essential book for understanding our monetary system, how we got here, and how to get out of it. Love it!
Joe
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. One of the few with some new material and very readable.
Alan McClain
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent analysis of the debt-based banking system and what we can do to deal with it.
Brian
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing portrayal of the debt system in America told in a well-researched story that correlates to Frank Baum's Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I'll let you decide if it's based in conspiracy or truth. ...more
Jon
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good book and probably a companion or follow-on book to the Creature from Jekyll Island. It explains the context of Baums's book The Wizard of Oz as a fight against the progressives and the bankers in the late 1800's and early 1900's. And while doing so, explains quite a bit about our money system and why we're in the problem we are now. There is a lot of reference material for which you can checkout. It also spends some effort toward the end of the book to present alternative ideas to mo ...more
Elliott
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book suffers from a reliance on The Creature From Jekyll Island regarding it's history sections. It propagates the myth of The Russian Revolution being a Wall Street revolution which has no basis in actuality among other mistakes- I found myself crossing out passages and adding marginalia expressing dissatisfaction quite frequently. I'll applaud her however for making a good call for bank nationalization, and for keeping a bottom view of society. She is in favor of universal healthcare and ...more
Dina
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-researched, interesting book, but in my opinion way too long. The most important factor of why government borrows money from private bank instead of issuing the money itself is not emphasized enough. Every human born is born under an obligation of government debt which makes that person a serf from the birth.

In my opinion, there should exist two banking systems in a country. The government banks which give money for useful development, and private system which should finance itself from wea
Andrew
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
If governments and countries are at the mercy of the money cartels, how can changes be effected? Hodgson Brown paints a big and grim picture in this book and recommends changes in her next one, on Public Banking. Luckily, in this book, she does give some examples of people and places that have side-tepped the crooked global monetary system, or we will really feel despair after reading it. When I read writings like these, I realize why in history, revolutions occur.
Predrag
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
It's a great insight into the banking mafia that is trying to control the whole world. Great peaces of history and facts also.

Idea that money should be created by the government and municipality is a miss. It just can't work because it doesn't stop corruption and human greed. No mention of the assymetrical informations problem and lack of transparency.

Hope the author does more research and write another one right.

Too long as well.
Stanp
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Possibly the most important single book of the last 50 years. Who knew anything about the struggle between banks and people that has been underway throughout the history of this country? This book offers a history of money in the U.S... where it comes from, why it matters and what should be done about it.
John Baker
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a friend sent this to me & like another reviewer I found it seemed a bit muddled at first but realized it's possibly the result of gathering a number of related articles or essays.

This is a good read, though, for someone looking to learn about the history of how the US monetary system works, and what the future can look like if we can change it (and what the future will be like if we don't)
Nathan Blevins
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting read regarding the history of money & how the money system works in modern society. Although I suspect parts of this book is speculation / educated guessing, it certainly challenged my view of government & the idea of larger governing organizations for world power.
Tie Webb
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Once read, you will never look at our financial institutions in the same way. Great tie ins with the Wizard of Oz. A pity more people haven’t paid attention to the man behind the curtain.
Raelyn Johnson
Oct 22, 2010 is currently reading it
Very informative! Not a page-turner, obviously. But, if you are thirsty for some knowledge, A+.
Antonio Glenn
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book. Just follow the yellow brick road!
Mostafa
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great intro into the darker aspects of the modern banking and finance, both historical and technical.
Mr. Massey
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ESSENTIAL READING if one is sincerely working to comprehend the American ( thus Global ) experience of 'Monied Capital' & the History of 'Financial Intere$t$'.

The correlation and basically unknown ( at least to those I would talk to about the book 2010-2017 ) metaphorical representations of Frank L. Baum's "Wizard of OZ" to the story of The Federal Reserve Banking System,

Which tied together a profound weaving of the narrative of the Development of the Monetary $ystem.

Read this Book in order to d
Jose
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it
There's just a few things to get out of this book, the federal reserve is private, money is created out of thin air, the government (and everyone) is in debt and wall street is a huge casino. Other than that, the author starts from an incorrect foundation, with wrong details on the history as well as the how/why of the monetary system therefore her conclusions (or solutions) are inherently wrong. I recommend reading the following book for accurate history, details and a correct explanation of th ...more
John Phillips
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you want all the facts about what you already suspected about what is wrong with our country, this is your book. It shows you how our monetary system works and why it is flawed. It also details why no one has done anything to change it. The audio version is pretty rough, poorly edited, but worth the time. This should be required reading for all Americans.
Scott Lupo
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A long read that was well worth it. Hard to put into words what this book brings to the table. Ellen Brown provides a thorough history of our money system since our founding and how it has changed over time. 99% of Americans have no idea how money is created today. It is NOT printed or coined as most people would believe. It's not even backed by anything except for our faith in it. The Federal Reserve isn't even a federal agency, it is a privatized entity whose shares are owned by 12 regional ba ...more
Brian I.
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off this is a very important book to read if you care at all about how we got into our current financial predicament. The history of our currency, as well as a history of currencies in general, makes the book a must read. It is not written for academics but for normal, everyday people. By that I mean it is easily digested by anyone whether they have a financial background or not. The book however is not well written. The author is a lawyer turned author and it shows. While this can be disc ...more
Meepspeeps
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is a mixed bag of real history, opinion/conspiracy theories, and some reasonable ideas to improve the world's and USA's financial systems. Removing the Ponzi schemes and gambling from the financial systems makes sense to me, and forcing organizations who act badly into receivership instead of propping them up as "too big to fail" is reasonable. It's hard to take the author seriously when she blames at least three Presidential assassinations potentially on the big money cartel. But it a ...more
Eric
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Is this ever a great look at the underpinnings of our stinking financial quagmire. I had no idea that the "Wizard of Oz" was based completely on the financial drama of its day but Ellen pulls meaningful quotes from it throughout her book to highlight the salient issues. This is a fantastic piece of research. Ellen has pulled together financial interests, tied them to historically significant events in world history and suddenly all the murky motives and ill-conceived logic of the past is re ...more
Courtney Lassetter
Oct 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting introduction to the system of institutions that manages the supply of money and issuance of debt. Brown has an interesting take on the financial system but seems to misunderstand economics. She fails to make her case and mismanages her arguments, often citing sources that are spurious or out of context. I hoped for a stronger argument. The most compelling part of the book is the history.
I'm totally absorbed 1 19 Nov 06, 2008 07:59PM

• The Revolution: A Manifesto
  • Living Machines: Bauhaus Architecture as Sexual Ideology
  • Unreported Truths about COVID-19 and Lockdowns: Part 1: Introduction and Death Counts and Estimates
  • COVID-19: The Great Reset
  • Two Treatises of Government
  • Monsters From The Id: The Rise Of Horror In Fiction And Film
  • Theory and History: An Interpretation of Social and Economic Evolution
  • No Treason: The Constitution of No Authority
  • Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals
  • On The Masons And Their Lies: What Every Christian Needs To Know (Spiritual Warfare Book 1)
  • The Jews and Moral Subversion
  • The Birth of Tragedy / The Case of Wagner
  • Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning
  • Leftism Revisited: from de Sade and Marx to Hitler and Pol Pot