Start by marking “Web of Debt” as Want to Read:
Web of Debt

Web of Debt

This book exposes important, often obscured truths about our money system and our economic past and future. Our money is not what we have been led to believe. The creation of money has been privatized -- taken over by a private money cartel. It is all done by sleight of hand, concealed by economic double-speak. "Web of Debt" unravels the deception and presents a crystal cl ...more
Published July 25th 2007 by Third Millennium Press

To ask other readers questions about Web of Debt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Web of Debt

Donitello
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Never schooled in finance myself, I am admittedly not someone whose opinion you want to rely on in this matter. Nonetheless, I am offering it, for one reason: Since its 2007 publication, many of the alarming economic predictions in this book have come to pass exactly as described.

I don't suggest that Ms. Brown is a prophet -- virtually everything in her book is drawn from other sources (and scrupulously cited) -- but simply that she has got her facts straight. This being the case, her book shoul
Toma
May 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics
There is a huge flaw in the world we live in and almost no-one talks about it. This book explains the monetary and banking system that enslaves us. In depth view to the history of banking, how we got to this point and what should we do about it.

Fairly easy reading. No excessive use of difficult terms. As an non-native english speaker I had no difficultues reading this book.

One of those books everyone should read.
Joel.
Apr 18, 2009 rated it did not like it
This is an excellent book to read if you want misleading, incomplete and confusing information regarding this history of banking and finance.
Her core argument is that a fractional reserve banking system is dangerous and that the federal reserve system in the United States does not operate in the best interests of the citizenry - topics that could be effectively argued. But the author fails miserably in this poorly researched, confusingly-argued screed.
On basic theory she is simply wrong. She
Clif
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We have put the fox in charge of the hen-house and the time to end it before complete collapse of our economic system is short.

Here are some basic facts.

The government of this country can, under the Constitution, issue money without going into debt to do so. It did so during the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. However, under pressure from wealth, the government has given up this power to the banks in what is called a fractional reserve lending system.

The Federal Reserve (the central bank of
Zy Marquiez
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews
“The real truth of the matter is that a financial element in the large centers has owned the government since the days of Andrew Jackson.”
– Franklin D. Roosevelt

Ellen Hodgson Brown, J.D., is author of the recently published Public Banking Solution, but also the incisive and well documented The Web Of Debt – The Shocking Truth About Our Money System And How We Can Break Free. Her latter work is what will be covered lightly here.

For most of the modern world, money has been a staple of everyday lif
Jon
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good book and probably a companion or follow-on book to the Creature from Jekyll Island. It explains the context of Baums's book The Wizard of Oz as a fight against the progressives and the bankers in the late 1800's and early 1900's. And while doing so, explains quite a bit about our money system and why we're in the problem we are now. There is a lot of reference material for which you can checkout. It also spends some effort toward the end of the book to present alternative ideas to mo ...more
Brian
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing portrayal of the debt system in America told in a well-researched story that correlates to Frank Baum's Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I'll let you decide if it's based in conspiracy or truth, enjoy.
Elliott
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book suffers from a reliance on The Creature From Jekyll Island regarding it's history sections. It propagates the myth of The Russian Revolution being a Wall Street revolution which has no basis in actuality among other mistakes- I found myself crossing out passages and adding marginalia expressing dissatisfaction quite frequently. I'll applaud her however for making a good call for bank nationalization, and for keeping a bottom view of society. She is in favor of universal healthcare and ...more
Lumen Natura
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: monetary-system
This is a book that everyone in the USA should read. It gives extensive history of our monetary system and how it has been usurped by the bankers. It also gives some very good and well researched alternatives for us to make currency into a tool that can assist mankind instead of enslaving them.

Ellen Hodgson Brown makes the whole story interesting with a great writing style as well as by bringing to light the whole monetary allegory that is behind the all American fairy tale The Wizard of Oz.
Alan McClain
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent analysis of the debt-based banking system and what we can do to deal with it.
Suzy
Nov 05, 2008 is currently reading it
Essential book for understanding our monetary system, how we got here, and how to get out of it. Love it!
Joe
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. One of the few with some new material and very readable.
Terence
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having gone through a number of other books on finance, some main stream, some more conspiracy theory-like, I thought this would be a dry read. Instead, it has explained concepts in simple to understand English. I realise now that there is no such thing as high finance, only ponzi finance. This is a must read for those who truly wish to understand the system of the world and the nature of money.
Tie Webb
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Once read, you will never look at our financial institutions in the same way. Great tie ins with the Wizard of Oz. A pity more people haven’t paid attention to the man behind the curtain.
Nathan Blevins
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting read regarding the history of money & how the money system works in modern society. Although I suspect parts of this book is speculation / educated guessing, it certainly challenged my view of government & the idea of larger governing organizations for world power.
Mostafa
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great intro into the darker aspects of the modern banking and finance, both historical and technical.
Scott Lupo
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A long read that was well worth it. Hard to put into words what this book brings to the table. Ellen Brown provides a thorough history of our money system since our founding and how it has changed over time. 99% of Americans have no idea how money is created today. It is NOT printed or coined as most people would believe. It's not even backed by anything except for our faith in it. The Federal Reserve isn't even a federal agency, it is a privatized entity whose shares are owned by 12 regional ba ...more
Brian I.
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off this is a very important book to read if you care at all about how we got into our current financial predicament. The history of our currency, as well as a history of currencies in general, makes the book a must read. It is not written for academics but for normal, everyday people. By that I mean it is easily digested by anyone whether they have a financial background or not. The book however is not well written. The author is a lawyer turned author and it shows. While this can be disc ...more
Meepspeeps
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is a mixed bag of real history, opinion/conspiracy theories, and some reasonable ideas to improve the world's and USA's financial systems. Removing the Ponzi schemes and gambling from the financial systems makes sense to me, and forcing organizations who act badly into receivership instead of propping them up as "too big to fail" is reasonable. It's hard to take the author seriously when she blames at least three Presidential assassinations potentially on the big money cartel. But it a ...more
Eric
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Is this ever a great look at the underpinnings of our stinking financial quagmire. I had no idea that the "Wizard of Oz" was based completely on the financial drama of its day but Ellen pulls meaningful quotes from it throughout her book to highlight the salient issues. This is a fantastic piece of research. Ellen has pulled together financial interests, tied them to historically significant events in world history and suddenly all the murky motives and ill-conceived logic of the past is re ...more
Dina
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-researched, interesting book, but in my opinion way too long. The most important factor of why government borrows money from private bank instead of issuing the money itself is not emphasized enough. Every human born is born under an obligation of government debt which makes that person a serf from the birth.

In my opinion, there should exist two banking systems in a country. The government banks which give money for useful development, and private system which should finance itself from wea
Courtney Lassetter
Oct 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting introduction to the system of institutions that manages the supply of money and issuance of debt. Brown has an interesting take on the financial system but seems to misunderstand economics. She fails to make her case and mismanages her arguments, often citing sources that are spurious or out of context. I hoped for a stronger argument. The most compelling part of the book is the history.
Andrew
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
If governments and countries are at the mercy of the money cartels, how can changes be effected? Hodgson Brown paints a big and grim picture in this book and recommends changes in her next one, on Public Banking. Luckily, in this book, she does give some examples of people and places that have side-tepped the crooked global monetary system, or we will really feel despair after reading it. When I read writings like these, I realize why in history, revolutions occur.
Stanp
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Possibly the most important single book of the last 50 years. Who knew anything about the struggle between banks and people that has been underway throughout the history of this country? This book offers a history of money in the U.S... where it comes from, why it matters and what should be done about it.
John Baker
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a friend sent this to me & like another reviewer I found it seemed a bit muddled at first but realized it's possibly the result of gathering a number of related articles or essays.

This is a good read, though, for someone looking to learn about the history of how the US monetary system works, and what the future can look like if we can change it (and what the future will be like if we don't)
Drew
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very good read, containing information I already knew about the history of the Federal Reserve and how the banks manipulate the money supply for their own gain, and a convincing argument for nationalizing the banks and the money supply.
Donna Ruby
May 30, 2011 is currently reading it
Wow, this book opens your eyes to they ways money controls the world. I'm struggling to understand the economics of world banking - but this book gives an amazingly thorough history that helps my understanding
Kjes
Jun 28, 2010 rated it liked it
confusing to someone not an economics major, but I'm getting the basic point that the Federal Reserve is not actually federal, but private and that the world economy is a house of cards. But it's actually fixable ...
Paul Turner
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A real eye opener. Can't say enough about how well put together and fascinating this whole débâcle is. Recently listened to an interview on Red Ice Radio with Scott Bartle - http://m.youtube.com/?reload=3&rd... - that touched on this issue.
A D saravanakumar
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the very good book to understand how money system ruined the world over 500 years. And what happened to those who try to change the money system. Very interesting book that I have ever read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
I'm totally absorbed 1 18 Nov 06, 2008 07:59PM

• Crash Proof 2.0: How to Profit from the Economic Collapse
  • America Beyond Capitalism: Reclaiming Our Wealth, Our Liberty, and Our Democracy
  • Capitalism Hits the Fan: The Global Economic Meltdown and What to Do about It
  • A History of Money and Banking in the United States: The Colonial Era to World War II
  • The Secrets Of The Federal Reserve
  • Paper Promises: Debt, Money, and the New World Order
  • It Takes a Pillage: Behind the Bailouts, Bonuses, and Backroom Deals from Washington to Wall Street
  • The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve
  • Empire of Debt: The Rise of an Epic Financial Crisis
  • The Crash Course: The Unsustainable Future of Our Economy, Energy, and Environment
  • The Panic of 1907: Lessons Learned from the Market's Perfect Storm
  • Hamilton's Curse: How Jefferson's Arch Enemy Betrayed the American Revolution--and What It Means for Americans Today
  • Unequal Protection: The Rise of Corporate Dominance and the Theft of Human Rights
  • The Anglo-American Establishment
  • The Naked Capitalist
  • ECONned: How Unenlightened Self Interest Undermined Democracy and Corrupted Capitalism
  • False Dawn: The Delusions of Global Capitalism
  • Hamilton's Blessing: The Extraordinary Life and Times of Our National Debt

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »