Start by marking “The Catholic Home: Celebrations and Traditions for Holidays, Feast Days, and Every Day” as Want to Read:

A practical, inspiring guide to Catholic observances and celebrations for the home.
For centuries, the Catholic Church has offered an abundance of splendid traditions that extend religious and spiritual practice into daily life. Now, Meredith Gould reintroduces these customs and rituals to modern Roman Catholics.
Using the liturgical calendar, "The Catholic Home" provides
Published February 17th 2004 by Doubleday (first published January 2nd 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Catholic Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Catholic Home

Jan 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Catholic parents
Shelves: catholicism
This book is very useful for those who are striving to create a home that is in sync with the liturgical calendar (which is as easy or intuitive as it was, say, forty years ago). Gould is a convert, who grew up in a traditional Jewish home, and thus has a unique and quite compelling perspective on her Catholicism. What I like most about this book is that the author constantly draws out the clear connections between Catholic faith and practice and our Jewish ancestors.

Also, Gould keeps it simple
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-list
I justified purchasing this book because of some research I was doing for a manuscript of my own. I only wish I hadn't waited so long to buy it: it is full of fabulous insight, inspiring ideas, and plenty of catechesis. One of my favorite resources and one that I plan to reference often throughout the year. I feel like I should write the author a thank you.
Patricia
Britt
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the info about the feast days, but I don't appreciate the hippie, kumbayah commentary, and the digs at the traditional Catholic Church. She is clearly a baby boomer.
Anita
I read this book to fulfil the goal read a book from a theology veiwpoint you disagree with. this was a hard catagory for me to fill. our church teaches that we should glean all the good we can from other religions. so i'm always looking for ways to enchance my own christian living with ohter peoples traditions. that said. i'm glad i'm not catholic. while i didn't see anything wrong with celebrating those all those saints birthday's etc, it got to be a little overwhelming for me. i think i'll st ...more
Melanie Rigney
I was surprised to see that I hadn't already reviewed this lovely book! I've given this title as a housewarming or other gift so very often, and just picked it up again to refer to it for a book I'm writing. Meredith's voice is so clear and engaging, it would be worth a read even if you're not Catholic. For those of us who are, she provides accessible explanations of the Church's seasons, feasts, and more, along with marvelous ideas for bringing the faith into your home.
Willa Grant
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this little book! It is written in a very modern way & gives good ideas for celebrating holidays & sacraments at home in a non-cheesy manner. Gould's ideas are acceptably Catholic but good for a more modern way of life. She covers the liturgical year & all the sacraments. As a convert, I was thrilled to find that we could do our own Ash Wednesday imposition of ashes. I got this book at the library & liked it well enough to buy myself a copy to have on hand.
Shannon
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m so glad this book exists and that I found it! I was yearning to grow in meaningful traditions with my family and this has been the perfect resource. The author blends very basic Catholic teaching and catechism references, with different cultural practices, with her own suggestions, with recommendations what to avoid (pagan origins) and with some very wild practices from decades past. The only thing I wish is that the author delved more into specific Saint feast days and traditions.
K Aust
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. A lot of nice ideas for seasons and feast days. A couple of glaring errors (e.g., wrong days for the mysteries; RCIA people do NOT confess before their baptism). Often veers into boomer/praise for V2 territory, which is not attractive to younger trads like myself.

Also docking a full star for the author’s extremely grating habit of referring to him as “Jesus THE Christ.” Ew.
Sara
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. It has a lot of good prayers and some good instruction. It certainly isn’t a bad book. It may be very helpful to some. That said, I have found other books to be a much better investment of time and money, Catholic All Year Compendium by Kendra Tierney as an example.
Alice Lemon
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm not Christian, and am only Catholic by ancestry, I found this quite interesting, and it got me thinking about some ideas for my pagan/polytheistic practice, though I imagine the author wouldn't approve of that.
Emilia P
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: churrrch
I am 100 percent writing this review while listening to a podcast about liturgical living ahhhh who I am. My parents kid. This book was sort of a downer, and I think it lost something by not being family-oriented, like, at all. Feast days are social. Feasts are social. Alas.
Taryn
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great as a reference book for liturgical prayers and family traditions. This is not a book of preschool crafts, but ideas to truly integrate the liturgical seasons into your home life.
Hope
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: catholic
This is a very quick read. I enjoyed reminiscing about spending time at my Grandparent's house when I was growing up and being fascinated by all the decorations and items around the whole house. Now as an adult, I can see how beautifully crafted there home is to reflect their deep devotion to the Catholic faith, and the importance of creating practices for daily life that support and nurture faith. This book had many fantastic little ideas of ways to transform your home as well as your life usin ...more
Christina
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you are interested in your Catholic heritage or interested in traditions of other faiths, this is a great book to read. Ms. Gould breaks down the liturgical year and offers suggestions on how families can celebrate in their own home. All suggestions are grounded in church traditions or traditions of other countries. One of my favorites was her suggestion to buy bird feed or visit an animal shelter on the feast day of St. Francis of Assissi. This was a fun read and has given me a lot of ideas ...more
Rebekah Leland
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it
i loved the content of this book-- the whys and hows of traditions surrounding the church holy days-- but the format i found to be extremely poorly laid-out. the flow of the chapters were constantly interrupted by little boxes, and it was hard to find where the traditions were and where the author was simply discussing her own ideas. but, the content is a good resource for modern families desiring tradition in their home.
Jeff
Oct 18, 2008 rated it liked it
As a non-Catholic Christian, this book not only helped me understand my Catholic brothers and sisters better, but helped me evaluate my own understanding of general Christian events as well as my level of commitment to practicing my own religion. A short, concise book, it is to the point and easy to understand. It certainly helped me think of some ways to deepen the sacred nature of how some holidays are celebrated in my own home.
julia
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I "met" Meredith via a friend's blog, and she was kind enough to send along this book. It is an excellent collection of ideas for celebrating Catholic traditions.

It arrives at a time when I am really interested in maintaining traditions in our home and creating sacred space in meaningful way. I am really happy to have her input and share her ideas with my family.
Jessica
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love many of these ideas to incorporate into our everyday life. As Catholics we already practice a few traditions but it's always good to have additional ways to tap into the deep richness of our faith.
Mugsymkelly
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Mugsymkelly by: Leah and Nicole
Although I am not Catholic I am enjoying reading about the traditions surrounding Christmas and getting ideas about how our family can incorporate some of these rituals and symbols to make the Christmas season more meaningful for our children.
Elizabeth
Dec 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion, 2008
Oh, i have read this already.

The content is ok, but i did not like the way the book was layed out. There were insets of additional information that interupted the flow of chapters.

After Holidays and Holy nights, this book was redundant on the back ground information.

Meredith Henning
Jan 02, 2008 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone!
This is a great overview of the Liturgical Year from many perspectives, mainly Catholic but from Jewish heritage as well. Meredith Gould is hysterical and real, she writes beautifully and this is a good book for any Catholic or wanna be to have on their shelf!
Alison
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thorough book on preparing your home to follow the liturgical calendar. Has me very much inspired!
Denise Kruse
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Jewish woman writes about Catholic traditions! … well, not entirely true– she was raised in both religions but it is a funny thing to say, just as this book is fun while informative.
L.a. Hernandez
I use this book all year long. It's full of ideas for celebrating the holidays.
Guy Trevett
Jul 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered where Catholic holidays stemmed from? or why the different ways to celebrate? This books answers a lot of that. Well researched. Fun to read thoughout the year.
Angela
May 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic, re-visit
What a brilliant book, amusing and informative.
SFBlau
Aug 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Interesting.
J Crossley
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This book suggests ways to make the regular and special days more meaningful in the family life.
Amy Wasko
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I use this as a regular reference tool.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Paperback Edition! 1 1 Jul 14, 2016 06:09PM
  • Small Steps for Catholic Moms: Think. Pray. Act. Every Day.
  • The Handbook for Catholic Moms: Nurturing Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul
  • The Little Oratory: A Beginner's Guide to Praying in the Home
  • Shirt of Flame: A Year with St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Consoling the Heart of Jesus: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat- Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
  • The Weight of a Mass: A Tale of Faith
  • A Mothers Rule of Life: How to Bring Order to Your Home and Peace to Your Soul
  • Lord, Have Mercy: The Healing Power of Confession
  • Where is That in the Bible?
  • The Noonday Devil: Acedia, the Unnamed Evil of Our Times
  • Sacred Fire: Practicing Devotion to the Heart of Jesus
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • Thrift Store Saints: Meeting Jesus 25¢ at a Time
  • Real Learning: Education In The Heart Of The Home
  • Enduring Grace: Living Portraits of Seven Women Mystics
  • The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons
  • Rebuilt
  • Strangers in a Strange Land: Living the Catholic Faith in a Post-Christian World
I'm a sociologist, culture critic, longtime spiritual seeker, and award-winning author of 11 published books with one always in the works. I write about what I've studied, experienced, and personally need to understand in more depth; sowing seeds for the next book in the fertile ground of the one I'm currently writing.

BIG GOALS: making complex concepts easier to understand; encouraging readers to
“Christ has no online presence but yours, No blog, no Facebook page but yours, Yours are the tweets through which love touches this world, Yours are the posts through which the Gospel is shared, Yours are the updates through which hope is revealed. Christ has no online presence but yours, No blog, no Facebook page but yours. What we believe shapes how we relate to one another and interact with the world—wherever and however we relate and interact. You don’t have to make too great a leap of faith or intellect to understand that by extension, what we believe provides a framework for using social media.” 0 likes