Start by marking “Henny” as Want to Read:
Henny

Henny

Henny is a chick who's just a little different from everyone else in the barn; and who learns to embrace her special gift in this whimsical and charming picture book debut from Elizabeth Rose Stanton.

Henny doesn't look like any other chicken she knows. Instead of wings, she has arms!

Sometimes Henny likes being different: she enjoys the way her arms flutter like ribbons
Published January 7th 2014 by Simon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Henny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henny

Start your review of Henny
Erica
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a book about being different and how there are pros and cons but once the difference becomes useful, the pros outnumber the cons probably 5 to 1 or something.

Not addressed with Henny-the-chicken's arms are her teeth. She brushes her teeth. I know there's a saying about hens' teeth, but I also know that chickens, with exception of the one tooth they use to break out of their eggs, a tooth that falls off their beaks within 48 hours, do not have teeth.

To be honest, this book borders on the
Taurean Watkins
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of funny animal stories, Todd Parr, spunky girls, etc
Shelves: animal-fantasy
In the spirit of Dumbo and the works of Todd Parr, along comes Henny, a chicken born with unusually long arms and hand-like wings!

A great “Okay to be Different” story without getting hokey about it.

While I often lament the minimalist movement in picture books these days, this book makes great use of minimalism in both words and illustrations. Zeroing in on our heroine and how she makes the most of her unique physique features!

The picture book answer to R.J. Palacio’s middle grade novel ”Wonder”
Holly Mueller
I LOVE Henny! Henny is not a typical chicken - she was hatched with arms instead of wings! After much angst and ambivalence, she finally reconciles her differences and embraces her individuality and capabilities. Adorable illustrations. This one is a must-have for the classroom and will be a big hit among children.
Cynthia
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2014
Unexpected: a chicken with arms. The illustrations are delightful.

Melissa Rochelle
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Henny is an adorable chicken with arms...so she's also different. She likes and dislikes her differences and finally embraces them. Great illustrations, too!
Amy Layton
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
What a laugh out loud book! From the illustrations to the text,Henny is utterly unforgettable. The trials and tribulations that Henny goes through are both funny as well as saddening, and helps to round out the ideas of what it means to be different. Great for reading out loud, great for kids in kindergarten and up. Overall, it's a quirky book that makes for a cute storytime.

Review cross-listed here!
Valerie
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb, 2014
I really enjoyed meeting Henny and her creator, Elizabeth Rose Stanton, at Henny’s recent book birthday. I have found so much to appreciate about this quirky little book, and it goes deeper than I would have expected.
I’ve been thinking about Henny quite a lot lately, as I let the reactions of others sink in. In case you’ve never met her, Henny is a chicken born with… arms.
The unlikely always grabs me when it comes to picture books, but this particular difference has taught me some interesting
Kristi Betts
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Henny by Elizabeth Rose Stanton is a beautifully illustrated story about a chicken with arms who must learn how to overcome being different. After reading this delightful story I could hear the music for the song, "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" (originally written for the film Monty Python's Life of Brian in 1979, but featured two times during the Broadway musical Spamalot, which is how I know the song) playing in my head. I think Henny does exactly what the song suggests. She realizes ...more
Tasha
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Henny was born just a little different than all of the other chickens. She was born with arms instead of wings! Henny liked her arms sometimes like when they flapped when she ran. Other times, she didn’t like her arms. Sometimes she liked being different and other times it made her feel sad and lonely. Henny had to worry about different things than other chickens like gloves or mittens. She tried to fit in with the other chickens, but she was always different no matter what she did. Then one ...more
Daniel Middleton
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
At the story's outset we learn that Henny is not a typical chicken because she was born with arms. At first this appears to have its drawbacks, because arms on a chicken are mainly depicted as a useless function. And they immediately force Henny to be classified as "different." And Henny certainly doesn't like being forced into that category, so she does what anyone in that position would do: she tries to fit in. Through the course of the story, however, Henny's arms begin to take on new ...more
Kelly Carey
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A chicken with arms instead of wings can literally reach out and grab you, and that is exactly what Elizabeth Rose Stanton’s picture book Henny does. The charming hook, a chicken with arms, is enhanced with Stanton’s humor and lovable illustrations.

Henny loves being different and hates being different. She worries about gloves or mittens, tennis elbow and deodorant. Henny is cute and silly, but her universal struggle to both fit in and accept her individuality holds a depth of meaning that will
Kelsey
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Age: Preschool-Kindergarten
Animals: Chicken

This book starts out with an anatomical rendering of two chickens: a typical chicken and Henny. There is one difference: the typical chicken has wings and Henny has arms. Stanton goes on to show how much Henny loves her uniqueness, and how others teasing make her dislike it. Eventually, Henny comes to realize all the things she can do with her arms such as helping the farmer out, pointing, making a point,and maybe, just maybe, she could fly.

This book
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a hilarious picture book about being unique! Henny isn’t sure what to do with her arms – she liked them, yet she didn’t like them. They made her different (good), and they made her different (bad). This is a wonderful story about finding yourself. Henny doesn’t know what to do with her arms and the results are awesome! Ms. Stanton has created a wonderful story about a unique chicken with a wonderful meaning – be yourself.
*NOTE* I got a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest
AbsentLibrarian
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun and sweetly humorous book about belonging and loving who you are, as you are. The illustrations are soft and simple, allowing the reader to focus on Henny and what she is going through ans how she feels. There are no bad guys in this quest to fit in, rather Stanton focuses on validating feelings - the positive as well as the negative self-talk. Great for showing kids (and grown ups) that our differences can make us feel like an odd man out, but, importantly, they can make us feel special ...more
Kristine Hansen
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm disturbed. I'm seriously disturbed.

DO NOT GIVE CHICKENS ARMS.

JUST.
DON'T.

I know there's all kinds of points about this book about wanting to fit in, being different, taking joy in being different, blah blah blah.

BUT DO NOT GIVE CHICKENS ARMS.

** side note: My children discovered this book, and were fighting over who would read it first. They kept saying things like "That's SO WRONG" or "That's just WEIRD" but they all read it. So...bonus star, going up from one to two, for engaging the
Linda Lipko
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Henny is hatched and soon learns she is very different. Possessing arms instead of wings, she drags on behind the others. Naturally, she is a target of bullying and derision.

Realizing she must accept who she is, she chooses to find benefits of arms. She can wear a sweater; she can catch a ball; she can carry a purse; and, she can fly a plane way in the sky above the ground where others are tethered by their tiny wings.

This is a wonderful book for children, and adults who feel different and who
Karen A.
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love Henny's arms flapping in the wind like ribbons. The pictures are hilarious. So it is good that the author tempered the actual story. Henny is different from the other chickens,(spoiler alert...she has arms...), but she learns to use her arms in many different ways that not only make her useful but special. So many ways to go with this little gem. I followed it in storytime with 'My Thumbs are Starting to Wiggle'. Fun fun.
Jess
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Soft pencil and watercolor illustrations suit the light and sweet story, with regular pops of color in the chicken's combs and the bright yellow of chicks. Generous white space and uncluttered pages let the illustrations and text shine. The humor also matches - never over the top, there's the inherent humor of a chicken with arms, and a few small textual jokes, like "She could point. She could make a point."

But really, a chicken with arms. Enough said.
Ruth Ann
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
If you were Henny, a chicken born with arms, what would you do? How would you feel? This book explores what it feels like to be different and ultimately encourages each one of us to make the most of the body/talents we've been given. None of us can choose how we look nor do we sign up for our strengths or weaknesses. So what will we do? Be like Henny and accept yourself. Explore what you can do and don't forget to dream!
Heather
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-books, 2014
Cute and funny story about a chicken who is born with ungainly human arms. It explores feeling out of place and "different," and it lightly brushes over bullying/teasing. Of course, Henny figures out that the thing that makes her so different lets her do many things chickens can't, which makes her happy! Despite the weirdness of a chicken having human arms, the story is predictable. But the illustrations and concepts are so amusing that it doesn't really matter.
Caryn Caldwell
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Through a fluke, Henny the chicken was born with arms. It's tough to be different, to never quite fit in, but it also has its perks. Unlike her brothers and sisters, Henny can point. She can hail a taxi cab. She can even help out around the farm. All in all, being unique might not be so bad. Henny is an entertaining, affirming story. The understated illustrations are hilarious and complement the text well.
Liz Blankenship
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Henny is a chicken with arms. Sometimes she likes being different. Sometimes she doesn't. Sometimes she worries about things like tennis elbow and hangnails, but then she discovers all of the amazing things she can do with her arms. A slightly odd, yet pretty adorable book about embracing differences.
Mary
I actually laughed out loud when I read this book--the second page, when Henny is shown as a baby chick with extra long arms, absolutely got me. I had to show it off! This is a silly story that is all about what it means to be different and that being different is ok (and should be celebrated) even if it isn't always easy. Great for ECE level readers and read aloud.
Sara
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
A chicken with arms. What an amusing idea! This book is so adorable. I'm trying to figure out a way to weave it into a creative thinking lesson with first grade (as they are the only ones with which I currently share those lessons).
Helen Witter
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous, whimsical, funny book about a chicken that has arms and some of the issues and problems this situation presents. It is a wonderful, thoughtful and amusing book for children as well as adults and it is brilliantly illustrated. Bound to be a children's classic!
Melissa
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Henny is an adorable chicken who is born with arms. At first she is bothered because she is different but she eventually embraces the fact that she is different. Henny is well written and beautifully illustrated and would be a welcome addition to any child's library.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Chicken books tend to be funny. However, I don't fully get this one. Henny has arms rather than wings. The illustrations are cute in this one, but I don't get the story.
Scottsdale Public Library
Fantastic debut of a unique chicken armed with extraordinary talent!

- Monty K.
Jen
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's all about what you choose to dwell on, right?!
John
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, chickens
I premiered Henny's book trailer: http://mrschureads.blogspot.com/2014/...
« previous 1 3 4 next »