Start by marking “#16thingsithoughtweretrue” as Want to Read:
#16thingsithoughtweretrue

#16thingsithoughtweretrue

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  2,394 Ratings  ·  332 Reviews
Heart attacks happen to other people #thingsIthoughtweretrue

When Morgan's mom gets sick, it's hard not to panic. Without her mother, she would have no one—until she finds out the dad who walked out on her as a baby isn't as far away as she thought...

Adam is a stuck-up, uptight jerk #thingsIthoughtweretrue

Now that they have a summer job together, Morgan's getting to know t
Published March 4th 2014 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about #16thingsithoughtweretrue, please sign up.
Janet She was quickly over her crush on Adam and okay with Morgan and him dating. Her real crush was Morgan's brother. I think they would have had something…moreShe was quickly over her crush on Adam and okay with Morgan and him dating. Her real crush was Morgan's brother. I think they would have had something special. (less)
To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny HanIsla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie PerkinsWe Were Liars by E. LockhartSince You've Been Gone by Morgan MatsonWhat I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick
2014 Contemporary YA
258 books — 1,958 voters
YA Novels of 2014
1,545 books — 9,147 voters

More lists with this book...

Janet
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I love it. I am not impartial.
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Parts of me enjoyed this novel, and then there are parts of me that just could not shove away the flaws. This is my second novel by Janet Gurtler, so I guess I had expected more from her, as How I Lost You was quite brilliant. Yet all other things aside, 16 Things I Thought Were True presents readers with several important morals and themes which I believe is to why I still ended up liking it in the end.

Morgan was never the social one when it came to interact
Valerie
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 stars - This one captured my heart.

First Impression...

I've needed a change lately and a good YA sounds like the right choice. Besides, I was so interested in the twitter aspect of this story.

The Characters...

Overall, what I loved the most about all of the characters in this book was how real they felt. As a teacher, I often wonder at some of the YA characters I read about in books, wondering what school halls they came from. But these characters? They were real.

I loved that Morgan was obsessed
Brunette Librarian
Check out the full review and more at
The Brunette Librarian's Blog

Morgan is having a bit of a hard summer. She’s got a job at the local theme park working with snacks, she’s not making any friends, and her Mom just had a heart attack. She doesn’t know who her dad is, never has really. Her twin brothers aren’t any help so Morgan can’t help but feel alone in world filled with people. However, her one lifeline is Twitter and this is going to be the summer she passes 5,000 followers. She knows on
Griff
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was not expecting that ending!!!!...OMG... I need a tissue! Oh, Morgan. May we all have Amy's in our lives.
Bobbie
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I just want to dive into a YA contemporary read, a la Sarah Dessen, and nothing satisfies that urge quite like a road trip book. 16 Things I Thought Were True is a really easy, really good, and surprisingly touching read. It's not a long book, so it didn't take me long to plough through it - mainly because once I started I really didn't want to put it down. The 16 Things make for a good plot device - a way of splitting the book into bitesize chunks, hints that make you think about thin ...more
Heather
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great little contemporary. Memorable characters, charming, romantic, and a little heart-breaking. Review soon:)

**UPDATED REVIEW**

If you follow this blog than you know that I love contemporary YA--it's definitely my favorite and most read genre. But until I read #16thingsithoughtweretrue, I had never read any books by Janet Gurtler. Well I aim to change that now because I very much enjoyed 16 Things...It was a great little book--a quick, absorbing read-it-an-afternoon book. And it sur
Aly (My Heart Hearts Books)
I have been waiting to read #16 Things I Thought Were True since BEA when I heard that Janet had another book in the works. To say that I'm a huge fan of Janet Gurtler is an understatement. I'm in awe of the way that Janet just gets and create the teen world. She understands their problems and all her stories are filled with problems that aren't exclusive to teens, it's not a teenage story, it's a story that features a teen and I love how she does that. It's like magic.

#16 Things I Thought Were
Boyanna
May 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
DNF.
This one had the enthusiasm of a dying slug (i don't know its level of enthusiasm but i imagine is non-existing!). There were happenings in this book but the events felt like someone was reciting a groceries list in lazy voice.
This is a classic case of a zombie book*, it lacks a soul and i couldn't get immersed in to it no matter how much i tried.

*(there aren't actual zombies inside, this book is a zombie, it drags its tired legs around looking for brains to eat...)
Jasprit
16 Things I Thought Were True was really different to what I was expecting. I think things happened way too quickly for my liking that before I could even get a grip with what was going on, we were thrown into the next incident. Also I didn’t get the chance to form a connection with our MC Morgan either, she’d been having a tough time with a video of her being leaked by her former best friend of her dancing in boys shorts. Morgan had practically become the laughing stock, she couldn’t go anywher ...more
Julia
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
-------------------SPOILERS------------------------

This book took me only four to five hours to read, it was that good. I have a few authors that just write so well that I guess I consider them gods of sorts. All I can say is, the author of #16thingsithoughtweretrue is definitely one of them. I really had only one sort of problem with this book. Well, maybe two. The first problem was, conflicts got resolved to easily, like almost missing the ferry and the tire. Also, although it gave the book a
Evie
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
There is no denying the fact that Janet Gurtler writes quality contemporary fiction. Her novels are thought-provoking, emotionally affecting and deeply insightful. They're also honest, relatable and often times completely heartbreaking. At the same time, they're captivating and powerful enough to engage even the most reluctant of readers. I have read and loved all of her previous books, but #16thingsIthoughtweretrue is by far my favorite one. There's just something about it - whether it's the su ...more
Kristina Weber, Ph.D.
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-reads
This book is very timely, and current, too- I just read an informal high school poll, and it seems that Facebook is on its way out with them- they are using Twitter and Snapchat more than anything. And they are over sharing. I also saw real research on social media and its effect on real human interaction, and it is pretty scary. So, I love that this book tackles those things.

Janet Gurtler is being compared to Sarah Dessen, and I think that's pretty accurate- especially with some of Dessen's old
Jenni Arndt
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-own
As a Canadian I am always quick to jump behind any Canadian authors that I can find. Sometimes hastily getting a book based on those grounds has bitten me in the butt but I have come to know that getting a Janet Gurtler book (who is not only a Canadian, but a fellow Albertan) is always a safe bet. #16thingsithoughtweretrue did not disappoint. While it wasn’t a perfect novel, it managed to bring out all the feels from me and had me ugly crying for the last few chapters.

Morgan doesn’t come across
Olivia (Bookcomet)
My heart sung, weeped, broke and soared. This book soared. I loved it to bits. #thingsiKNOWaretrue

This book totally deserved it's spot on my Most Anticipated Books of 2014 list. Now it will end up on my Favourites of 2014 list. I just love it. I actually cried (and this is coming from the girl who didn't cry in The Fault in Our Stars) and I laughed. #thingsiKNOWaretrue

It was actually so beautiful. The ending, oh the ending, was perfect for the story. I loved all the little things, like how Morga
Cat
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! The characters were very easy to relate to and I believe this will be a great addition to my classroom after its release. The realistic factor of instant gratification and instantaneous viewing (via twitter) is very poignant and will resonate with so many teens. There are so many twists and turns that keep the reading guessing, and the coverage of multiple topics (family, romance, friendships, inner peace, health, etc.) offers something for everyone. Good stuff!
Jade
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Morgan is trying to hide from the real world and hangs out with her friends on Twitter instead. Until her mom gets sick and her whole world is rocked.

Soon she's on a road trip with Adam her cute but annoying boss and Amy(Oh I love Amy) to meet the dad she's never known.

Thoughtful and relateable, this book warmed my heart and made me think about my own social media addictions lol.

The emotional depth was really satisfying and the ending....oh!!!

Haley ~ YA-Aholic
May 22, 2013 marked it as want-to-read-badly  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-have-soon
Please someone tell me this is a mistake..March 2014?!?! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME JANET!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Janet
Jul 12, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
New cover, coming soon!!

NEW SYNOPSIS/back cover copy up now! Check it out! Wheeeeeee!!!!
Merphy Napier
Apr 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's not that I hated this book or even found it any kind of offensive. It's just that I didn't find anything I liked. The characters weren't interesting, the plot wasn't gripping, and the dialogue felt really really unnatural. I didn't hate it and I don't discourage anyone from reading it. I want to give it two stars because one really seems harsh, it's just that there honestly wasn't one thing that I enjoyed reading. :/
Henrietta
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
After years of trying, Morgan thought she’d never know the identity of her biological father. When her mother fell ill and gave her clues about her father, Morgan thought she must do something to confront him – why did he choose to abandon her even before she was born? But what she never expected was the truth that came out. Could Morgan forgive what happened now that she knew the truth?

Although Morgan wasn’t my most favorite character from the book, I could relate to her view about friends and
Kristina
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this galley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Netgalley and Sourcebooks Fire.

16 Things I Thought Were True was a surprise hit for me. It seemed like a pretty good contemporary, which I was in the mood for, so I decided to try this one out. I ended up loving it! It was a very quick read with a lot of heart.

After years of not knowing anything about her father, Morgan's mom finally tells her about him. This leads Morgan on a road trip to Canada with two people that she works wi
Irene
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I first purchased this novel, I didn't really know anything about it. It was cheap and I liked the feeling the cover gave me. I think it was because of me not knowing anything that I liked it this much. It's YA contemporary romance, but it's also so much more than that.

This is the kind of book that's hard to review. All I wanna say is "read it, read it!" It's really cute. And good. So good that it's not on my favorite shelf.

“The girl starts crying even harder, but helpful posts in 140 char
Dodie
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Morgan is just not a happy person. She tries, but she really sees the her world as half empty - she's never known her father, her twin stepbrothers seem to do no wrong, and her mother just can't seem to get it together. If Morgan can survive her summer job at the local amusement park and get to college next year, she might find a bit of happiness. And oh yes, hit 5000 followers on Twitter. Which might not be that hard considering that little video of her dancing in boys briefs earned her many 'f ...more
Kelly Hager
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh, you guys, I was not prepared for this book.

Things I thought were true: this would be a fun road trip story and probably also a sweet story about Morgan and Adam falling for each other.

It's not that this isn't accurate; it's more that this is not ALL the book is.

Morgan is a complicated character. There's a lot of angst there and she likes to test people. (Well, she may not LIKE it, per se, but she does it a lot.) I can see how she may not be the easiest character to love, but I certainly fel
Luna
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
My initial expectation 16 Things I Thought Were True was that of a fun road trip adventure with a few emotional high and lows to keep things interesting. Understatement.

Now before I continue I need to say: “I love Amy.”
She gets the best character award.

16 Things I Thought Were True has so much going for it, humour (essential), character growth, romance and have mentioned the emotional part? Janet Gurtler exceeded my expectations, not only did I like the story, care about the characters (especial
Jessica
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who has never met her birth father, this book hit really close to home. The things that Morgan was feeling, thinking and fearing about her birth father were the same things I was thinking at 16 and 18. It was nice to see her move from more of an online life to real life, and that the romance aspect between Morgan and Adam wasn't the main plot of the story. That ending though, my heart might never forgive.
Dee
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and loved the relationships the author created between the characters. Friendship is one of my favorite themes and it was so well done in this book as I watched new friends learn about each other and bond because of their experience together.

The only thing was that I was surprised there wasn't more time given to the story line with her dad. I expected that to be a major part of the book and wanted more of it.

But a fun read and I loved her friend Amy!
Nicis
No esperaba darle un cuatro, pero es que no me esperaba nada de lo que iba a pasar al final. Esta historia comienzó siendo una cosa entretenida y ligera con ciertas cosas (como lo del video, o que la prota fuera fanática de twitter) que llamaban mi atención y acabó apretando mi corazón/garganta y conmigo llorando a las 2.30 am.

Una grata sorpresa :)
Walter
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book touched me in so many ways. Morgan is me. Online friends no one believes is real. Okay I wasn't caught dancing in boys undies, but I related to her in so many ways. And AMY!! AHHH. And ADAM. My new literary boyfriend.

Overall this book made me laugh, cry, feel and just kind of THINK.
Loved it. Recommend it!
Amy was a Good friend, do you think she deserved to die? 3 16 Dec 14, 2014 08:17PM
Road Trippin' July: #16ThingsIThoughtWereTrue 6 16 Jul 21, 2014 02:43PM
  • The Chapel Wars
  • Breakfast Served Anytime
  • Storm (Salt, #2)
  • Reunited
  • Wish You Were Italian (If Only . . ., #2)
  • The Last Forever
  • My Faire Lady
  • Thirty Sunsets
  • Carry Me Home (Off the Map, #3.1)
  • Searching for Beautiful
  • For Real
  • Royally Lost
  • Breathe, Annie, Breathe
A Rita Award Finalist and Crystal Kite Award Finalist, Janet Gurtler's young adult books have been chosen for the JUNIOR LIBRARY GUILD SELECTION and as BEST BOOKS FOR TEENS from the Canadian Children’s Book Center. Janet lives in Okotoks Alberta, Canada with her husband, son, and a chubby black Chihuahua named Bruce.

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“Real life doesn't always need to be posted online.” 11 likes
“You make me want to be a better person," he says softly. "To deserve you. I want you to know how right you feel to me.” 5 likes