Start by marking “Wizard's Daughter (Bride's, #10)” as Want to Read:
Wizard's Daughter (Bride's, #10)

Wizard's Daughter

(Sherbrooke Brides #10)

Dear Reader:

When Ryder Sherbrooke finds a child nearly beaten to death in an alley in Eastbourne, he takes her home to Brandon House. She doesn't speak for six months. Her first words, oddly enough, are a haunting song:

I dream of beauty and sightless night
I dream of strength and fevered might
I dream I'm not alone again
But I know of his death and her grievous sin.

Ah, and ju
Audio CD, Unabridged Lib Ed
Published December 18th 2008 by Brilliance Audio (first published December 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Wizard's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizard's Daughter

Start your review of Wizard's Daughter (Bride's, #10)
Werner
Jan 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy/romance who don't mind explicit sex
Recommended to Werner by: It was a Christmas present from my wife
Shelves: books-i-own, fantasy
Coulter is a prolific and hugely popular (bestselling) author, primarily of sensuous romances, which she produces in various genres. (This one is a fantasy, set primarily in the England of 1835, but partly in an invented fantasy world called the Pale.) She wasn't really on my radar to read, but knowing my liking for speculative fiction, my wife saw and snagged this volume at a flea market as a Christmas present for me a few years ago. Recently, I pulled it out of the TBR piles as a "car book," t ...more
Tracey
Jul 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, 1-star, romance
When requesting a book on Paperbackswap a while back, I checked the poster’s shelf to see if there was anything else I might want. For some reason – possibly a vitamin deficiency, or lack of oxygen to the brain– I added this book to my request. Wizard’s Daughter, by “New York Times bestselling author” Catherine Coulter. This is a woman who has been writing for-virtually-ever. The “also by this author” page at the front of the book is double columned, smallish print, full. Goodreads lists “120 di ...more
Temaris
Feb 09, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: M&B readers
Now, this really *was* a first draft. Rife with anachronisms, the entire interesting part of the plot relegated to the last 40 pages, while the first 250 are devoted to the hero and heroine meeting, falling in *something*, getting married and screwing like their lives depended on it. It doesn't, btw. It would have been more interesting if it had.

The author's prevailing flaw appears to be laziness, she can't bear to follow up threads, so leaves them dangling in the breeze. And every now and then
Cherise
Jan 14, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really boring to me. The characters were interesting enough and even the plot held major potential. The problem was it seemed to take forever to get anywhere in the story.

The dialogue was really awkward and the jumping narratives a little confusing from time to time. I had high hopes for this book based on the back cover description, but I just could not get into it, it never delivered what it promised. It took me forever to read and when it was done I was vastly relieved!
Ashley Parker
Mar 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Coulter is one of those authors that if I see her name on the cover or spine of a book, I'm buying the book. However, I personally find this book disappointing, in comparison to her other works, and the plot itself convoluted. This one was just not up to scratch. The characters were shallow. She was very wishy washy on some of the details. The couples relationship was very rushed and there was hardly any wooing or bonding.

The audio book is read by Anne Flosnik. I didnt care for her na
K
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, romance reader or not
I truly enjoyed Wizard's Daughter and revisiting the Sherbrooke family. I felt Coulter created a wonderful story that pulls you into the world of two individuals, their destinies, and the mysterious, magical world of the pale. Ofcourse, being a romance novel, there are those infamous "love" scenes; however, they compose only a small part of the story. The story really focuses on Rosalind and Nicholas, and their quest to solve the mystery of Rosalind's past and the pale. I felt the characters and ...more
Lizabeth Tucker
The most current entry in the Sherbrooke series delves more deeply into the supernatural than previous books. When Nicholas Vail, the Earl of Mountjoy, returned to England for the first time since the age of 12, he never expected to find love with Rosalind de la Fontaine, the debt of the Vail family. Rosalind, a ward of Ryder and Sophia Sherbrooke, had been found at the age of eight, badly beaten and unable to remember anything of her life, including her name. The only thing that remained was a ...more
Beth
Dec 12, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know anything about the author or any previous saga when I picked this book up at the library on CD. Now that I have finished with it, I am perusing the other reviews and I have to say that fellow readers who have given this 1 or 2 stars share my exact sentiments. The plot could have been interesting, but it didn't pick up until the last 15% of the novel. The rest of it just felt aimless, it would begin to become intriguing only to let me down after a paragraph or two. My curiosity woul ...more
Jane(Janelba)
This is my first book by Catherine Coulter and although it is a final book in the Sherebrooke series, it is also a stand alone book. I didn't feel to have missed out on any background at all. It was a beautiful book with strong characters and mystery with a dose of wizardry and magic included. I will definitely read more books by this author.
Carolyn
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I struggled with this one. The plot was a bit like that children's game where you pull the string and the arrow points to an animal that makes that sound. That was what it was like trying to follow the plot. I actually skimmed through the end just so I could be done. My first Catherine Coulter book...I think I may have chosen poorly.
Jacqueline J
I made it about halfway through this but finally it just got too silly for me. The butler wears old clothes because he likes them shiny, and he can see his face in them? Impossible, I don't care how old and shiny they are. And to add to that I just wasn't interested in the whole magic element so there didn't seem to be any point in continuing to read.
Kathy Davie
Sep 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tenth in the Sherbrooke historical fantasy series set in 19th century London, England.

The Story
Almost dying in a massive storm at sea, Captain Jared Vail is rescued by a magical being at the time of Queen Elizabeth's reign and promises to pay his debt. By the time Vail dies, he has served his queen well, been rewarded with an earldom, and built a fine house in the middle of Sussex but not paid his debt.

Some 300 years later, the debt is still not paid when his descendant, Nicholas Vail, returns t
Tanya
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Denise
Nov 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Got it as an audio book at the Salvation Army for 86 cents. As a car companion it was fine. As a book I would have probably given up. Great descriptions but how in Victorian England would a titled gentry (however roguish) be allowed a ward to marry in less than a week and really not for good reasons. I just knew we were meant to be together, really?

Trying to tie up all the ends once they get to the pale just felt rushed and didn't really gel together as a fully formed story. Looking at some of t
Valerie Purvis
Sep 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could write a dissertation on what I did not like about this book. The author has no original thoughts, is redundantly repetitive (Yes, I did that on purpose), uses "details" that have nothing to do with anything unless she thinks she is creating red herrings. She is sloppy and contradicts herself and is unable to resolve situations. Her characters must find their way to The Pale and when they get there, they ask if they are in The Pale and decide that they are not. What the heck? But it turns ...more
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The "Wizard's Daughter", although part of a series, which I didn't know, I read and it served well as a stand alone book. I'm not quite sure how to feel about this one. I kept reading feverishly for a while and then would drop it down, utterly discouraged at the lack of progress by the characters and the plot and yet intrigued as to how it would end. It took a while for me to finally just get on with it and get the book read. I'm glad I did finish it as the most interesting bits came at the end, ...more
Cindy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another great book in Catherine Coulter’s Sherbrooke series! Wizard’s Daughter tells the story of Sherbrooke ward, Rosalind de la Fontaine and Nicholas Vail. Mystery, adventure, romance, this story has it all! Highly recommended.
Emmylou Abejuela
Not THAT brilliant, but it gave me a few laughs.

The PALE was a bit vague and bordered on the unbelievable, but then again... the Pale was not meant to be understood by us mortals with limited perspectives.
Debi Robertson
A friend recommends this author. I am surprised, it is not my kind of book at all. Too repetitive for me, but I could see where others would like this. Interesting at different points and a couple of times there was a profound comment.
Blue Rose
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After having hints of supernatural occurrences throughout this series, it was interesting to have one book dedicated to the fantastic. It may be a little out there for some people, but I enjoyed it a lot.
Caren
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Catherine Coulter's historical romances, and this was no exception. I would have rated it more highly, but the ending was just a bit strange. Too much wizardry that seemed contrived, and didn't really help the story.
Gigi Knell
It was okay but not as compelling as some of the earlier novels. Its been a long time since I read historical romance and I remember reading the early books in this series.
Lynn Moyle
Jan 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a mess. Yuck. Don’t bother with this one.
Peggy
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
always a great read from a great author
Michelle
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the characters and the story. However towards the end it did seem to drag on a bit. Overall liked it and the entire series.
Natalie
Feb 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very choppily written, especially as it continues. Just a weird premise. I didn't like it.
Lisa Driskill
Her earlier books are not my favorite.
Gigi
May 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish
Adrion Kusant
Not my type of book. Just a fancy love story with some magic thrown in.
Chayong
I thought it kitschy but I actually liked it. Not too cheesy. Just right. Tee hee!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Highland Wolf Pact (Highland Wolf Pact, #1)
  • Once a Spy (Rogues Redeemed, #4)
  • A Duke by Any Other Name (Rogues to Riches, #4)
  • Between the Duke and the Deep Blue Sea (Royal Entourage, #1)
  • Honeysuckle Season
  • Captain Jack's Woman (Bastion Club, #0.5)
  • The Earl Takes a Fancy (Sins for All Seasons, #5)
  • Lady of Pleasure (School of Gallantry #3)
  • Off Limits
  • The Little Book of Big Feelings: An Illustrated Exploration of Life's Many Emotions
  • Obsession (Addiction Duet #2)
  • Up to Bat
  • Hammer (Regulators MC, #2)
  • Holding Out for a Hero (Men in Uniform, #3)
  • Take Control of Your Life
  • Combat (Passion Patrol, #2)
  • The Deadly Dinner Theater Affair
  • Feverfew and False Friends (The Witches of Wormwood Mysteries, #3)

Sherbrooke Brides (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Sherbrooke Bride (Brides, #1)
  • The Hellion Bride (Brides, #2)
  • The Heiress Bride (Brides, #3)
  • Mad Jack (Brides, #4)
  • The Courtship (Brides, #5)
  • The Scottish Bride (Brides, #6)
  • Pendragon (Brides, #7)
  • The Sherbrooke Twins (Brides, #8)
  • Lyon's Gate (Brides, #9)
  • Prince of Ravenscar (Brides, #11)

News & Interviews