Start by marking “On Tall Pine Lake” as Want to Read:
On Tall Pine Lake

On Tall Pine Lake

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  597 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Nona Conrad has been making it through "by the hardest." Each day is a struggle - to go on after her parents' sudden death, to win her rightful inheritance from her untrustworthy half-brother, and to raise her high-spirited younger sister. Hired to manage a fishing camp deep in the Arkansas woods, the strong-willed redhead is eager to settle down - until she clashes with t ...more
Published January 5th 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about On Tall Pine Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Tall Pine Lake

Melissa
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
This was not one of Garlock's better ones. In fact, I'd have to say that this is probably the worst book of hers that I've read so far. Which is a shame, because normally I like her books pretty well.

Just before getting ready to move, Nona gets a message from her estranged half brother asking her to hold a package for him. Thinking nothing of it, she continues on with her plans and she, an old friend Mabel, and her little sister Maggie head out to Tall Pine Lake where she will be managing a camp
Ria Potter
After about twelve chapters, I gave up. Simon was a jerk of the highest order, and Nona was a rather frustrating character to connect with. Though the plot was interesting enough to keep reading, I eventually gave up and lost interest because the two main characters were so off-putting. Not my favorite Dorothy Garlock book.
Cat
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
If you want to not use your brain for anything of substance, then this is the book for you. Mind numbing tripe is what you're in for.
But that's exactly what I wanted and needed.
Danthony74
Mar 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the read. it is a cute predictable story.
Dawn
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Book on tape. Nona and her sister Maggie went to Tall Pine lodge to work for the summer. Their parents were dead and Nona had to take care of Maggie. They could work and live there. Heir half brother Harold had swindled funds that belonged to them from their father. Nona met Mr Wright(yes it was!). Men were after them to find out where Harold was as he stole mob money at some point. Lots of trouble in the pines.
jimtown
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, mystery
Dorothy Garlock, billed as 'The Voice of America's Hearland' started this book out with some suspense. A box was delivered to the main character, Nona just as she was about to move and take a new job. The box was from her half-brother and he asked her not to open it.

Okay, so now we're all curious as to what's inside the box. I'll keep you posted!

On Tall Pine Lake wasn't as good as other Garlock books I've read. The characters weren't as likable, didn't really grow on me. There was lots of action
Karen & Gerard
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is quite an action-packed adventure for Nona Conrad and her sister, Maggie, and good friend Mabel that takes place at a fishing campgrounds in Arkansas. This is a fast-paced novel involving criminal activity that the reader is let in on as well as some the reader is left to figure out. There is suspense, some mystery and some romance in the novel. It is a quick read because it keeps your interest with all the action in it that makes you eager to see what will happen next. As Nona had a hard ...more
Amy
Dec 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: content-warning
A woman gets a mysterious package from her estranged brother and instructions not to open it. She moves to the backwoods and then all kinds of people come after her. She finds one guy very suspicious but he ends up being the love interest. The drama was so forced it was almost funny. The romance had no connection. The bad guys died off until the plot was resolved. Swearing, sex, violence. This was my second try at a book by Dorothy Garlock, who is supposed to be prolific and bestselling, but her ...more
Barbara
Well read by Anna Fields.
This is a story about 2 sisters, Maggie age 10 and Nona age 3. At least that what they seemed like even though they are actually older. Why do authors think angry foolish women are so attractive?
Outside of Nona and Maggie, the story was an average simple who done it thriller. Had the women been smarter, this would have been like a Nancy Drew story. Easy read if you aren't looking for much.
Amy
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was a quick read, and full of action and suspense. Starts out with Harold, Nona and Maggie's Half-brother, sends Nona a mysterious box and said do not open the box just keep it safe. Nona and Maggie move to Tall Pine Lake and are hired to take care of cabins by a mysterious boss. An array of characters are thrown into the mix whom to trust, and whom not to trust? What's in this mysterious box? I highly reccomend reading this book, you will not be disappointed.
Nancy
I like to listen to audio books at bed time to put me to sleep. If I get a really good book, it will keep me up most of the night. This was not one of those for me. It's another romance novel. Two of the women have fallen in love in less than one week, to men who protect them from the bad guys. One jumps in bed with her man, and at that point,I fast forewarded to get by most of that part. It was good enough to put me to sleep for a few nights.
Carol
Apr 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Great idea but the writing was not the best. Just to simple and the people just changed at the drop of the hat. No way.

I did it again and read this one over :( LANGUAGE! and you could see the plot and what was going to happen after just the first couple of chapters. Oh well, I listened to it while scrapping the calcium off the pool tile so it kept me amused doing an ugly job.
Evelyn
Nov 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Struggling to make ends meet while taking care of her younger sister, Nona Cinrad takes a job at a rural fishing camp and encounters evil men looking for her estranged half-brother.

Garlock's 50th book! A gentle, simplistic romantic story with a strong theme of good vs. evil. Recommend.
L
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Two sisters and their friend are betrayed by their step-brother and saved by a real hero...this is a good read for relaxing the brain and just enjoyed a good book. Garlock weaves a good tale and has some realistic bad busy without lots of bad language.
Linda
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
A very formulaic romance/thriller. I listened to it on Overdrive while doing chores & it kept me entertained. It had good guys, bad guys, a storm, with the foregone ending right on cue. She has written better novels, but it was okay.
Sue
May 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you want a very simple story this is a good book. It kept my interest just enough. Very heartwarming between the relationships. Not really my kind of read but; a lot of people would find this book very enjoyable.
Ghyllee
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
as usually with this author, the premise has promise but the writing is so amateurish, the plot movement non-believable, and the characters inconsistent. i'm going to have to give up on Ms Garlock.
Linda Roush
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good book!

This book was an exciting read. Several twists to the story. I really enjoyed it. It was a mystery and romance rolled into one.
Lorlee
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Listened to this -- passed the time to New Braunfels -- but can't say much more for it. More romance book than I was expecting.
Lynne
Apr 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was great. It had a well thought out plot and many exciting characters.
Barb
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: a-fict
Was given this to read when I forgot my book. Not what I usually read but plenty of action, not too much graphic sex, good characters and setting, and a well written page turner. Good quick read.
Sally johnston
great story that I couldn't wait to see what happened.
Lyndi
Jul 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
Very predictable. Made it to the end, but under impressed.
lynn
Feb 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
this was a predictible, unrealistic tale. Yeah. some mystery and romance..but not really worth the time...
Tana
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not my cup of tea, but read for a book discussion
Dottie
Sep 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good Storie about a young women faceing a dangerous future, and a unexpected love
Ivy Sanderson
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't have been written by a better author and it kept me wanting more. I can't wait to read more of Dorothy's books
Cheryle Boyle
Easy read, pretty predictable.
Julie Watson
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I liked the storyline but could have done without the language.
Paula White
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
The only reason i finished it was because I have a goal to read a book a week in 2010 and i've been sick this week so this is it.
  • Chasing Jenna
  • High Country Bride (The McKaslin Clan Historical #3)
  • Family Secrets
  • Unbroken Hearts (Easton Hearts, #1)
  • The Long Way Home (A Secret Refuge, #3)
  • After the Reunion
  • Savage Intrigue (Savage, #29)
  • To Believe (The Broken Roads #3)
  • Blue Moon
  • The Wren (Wings of the West, #1)
  • The Face of Heaven (Snapshots in History #2)
  • A Lone Star Christmas (Christmas, #1)
  • Winter's Camp (Ransom Canyon, #0.5)
  • Beneath Montana's Sky (Mail-Order Brides of the West, #0.5; Montana Sky, #0.5)
  • Tending to Virginia
  • Hidden Agenda (Southern Crimes, #3)
  • Balancing Act
  • McCade's Way
Dorothy Garlock is from Texas, but lived for a long time with her family in Iowa. Her romance novels have been translated into over 20 languages.

The mother of two and grandmother of three started her book-writing career in 1976 after working for 14 years as bookkeeper/columnist for the local newspaper. She had received 21 awards from various magazines and writer's groups. She was selected as Outst
More about Dorothy Garlock...