Start by marking “The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction” as Want to Read:
The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction

The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction

The classroom standard for readers and aspiring writers of fiction, The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction offers the most comprehensive, engaging selection of classic and contemporary stories in the field.
Paperback, Seventh Edition, 1776 pages
Published January 5th 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction

A World of Possibility by Christopher  ShieldsA World of Romance by Christopher  ShieldsStories and Scripts by Zack LoveThe Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 1 by M.H. AbramsPeace, Love, & Romance by Jennifer Theriot
Anthologies
295 books — 185 voters
Love Least Expected by Meredith BondForever Friends by Shelagh WatkinsEnd of the Road by Jacques  AntoineGetting Lucky by J.L. BeckThe Adventure of Creation by Holly Lisle
Best Anthologies
784 books — 758 voters

More lists with this book...

Billie Pritchett
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction is a great place to start to get a sense for the landscape of the short story historically and across continents. Sure, you might take issue with some inclusions (Why this story? Why this author?) and some exclusions, but there is plenty here to learn from and get exposed to, and I know that I made some discoveries having read this book.

Here are some of my favorite discoveries:

"Anna on the Neck" made me want to read more Anton Chekhov. A poorer woman fears m
Emily ☾
I had to read this for an English class :)
Karen L.
Jan 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Ah yes, I found a fun and cute story, by Jean Shepherd, the author of the well known story," A Christmas Story," called, "Lost at C." It is told from the perspective of a kid and is hilariously funny. It reminded me of my school days.

Want to read more Flannery O'Connor. She has a nice southern story tellers voice. Read "A Good Man is Hard to Find." It was good, suspenseful, yet as with most short stories, has a disturbing ending!Doesn't anyone write short stories with satisfying, or positive end
Ken
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great compendium of short fiction from some of the most iconic writers of our time. There's a lot of entertainment value here. I've enjoyed this anthology quite a bit.
Megan Clark

Me and Miss Mandible - Barthelme, 1981
In the Cemetery Where Al Jolson Is Buried - Hempel, 198
spike marlin
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took me almost 4 years to read all the short stories in this book. There were good ones and not so good ones. Pick it up and start reading you will enjoy Manet of the stories in it.
Kira Nerys
Simply because it became too much of a hassle to add each story individually:

Atwood, Margaret. "Death by Landscape." 3 stars. Finished 4/13/15.
Bell, Madison Smartt. "Witness." 5 stars. Finished 3/23/15.
Bradbury, Ray. "The Veldt." 5 stars. Finished 1/22/15. (science-fiction)
Cather, Willa. "Paul's Case." 3 stars. Finished 2/25/15.
Cheever, John. "The Enormous Radio." 3 stars. Finished 1/22/15. (science-fiction)
Chopin, Kate. "The Story of an Hour." 4 stars. Finished 3/4/15.
Cortázar, Julio. "A Contin
Charles
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great grouping of fiction from the US and Europe. I have to admit that I read the first edition, a beaten up thrift store find, over the period of five years, picking it up in earnest and putting it down when other duties called, only to pick it up again. In fact, I could probably start over at the beginning now and enjoy getting re-familiar with the works at the front of the anthology. Reading this collection gave me the chance to read some short fiction that is not usually included ...more
John
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful rich and deep collection! This has been my side reading for 5 months now. I started out making notes on some of my favorites, but then stopped at some point.

The Veldt by Ray Bradbury – I have read it before and enjoyed it, but I think it struck me even harder this time. How close have we come to being addicted to electronics, and making them our family?

Chekov! Wonderful.

Stephen Crane has wonderful, rich characters.

Isak Dinesen’s Sorrow-Acre was one of the best stories. Multiple plo
Kimi
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
anthologies, of course, are a great way to get introduced to writers you never heard of. this one is a little heavy on american writers, but i guess that's inevitable with two american editors. on the whole though, a nice broad coverage. there is an interesting section in the back called 'writers on writing': some of the featured writers thoughts on the craft through essays or interviews. another neat feature is a cross referencing of related materials: after a story, you are referred to another ...more
Ali
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I added this particular collection to my bookshelf because it's the best summation of short fiction canon that I've come across. Of course, that is not to say that these are the only short stories worth reading, but it has the widest variety and spans the most time. It was also comes with biographies of the authors and footnotes.

My personal favorites of this collection include "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce, "Cathedral" by Raymond Carver, and Philip Roth's "Conversion of t
Keely
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great anthology. Definitely something for every type and kind of reader. Some from authors you'll recognize and others you may not be familiar with yet. Loved that the authors are in alphabetical order - means you can read the stories without them being framed in a time period or by gender or genre or any other designation. Worthwhile to have on your shelf and read again and again.
Brian Godsey
I've read less than a quarter of this anthology, but I'll already say that it's brilliant. Or, perhaps every anthology of fiction is this brilliant. It's got bits of everything.

Highlights:

Gabriel García Márquez's story The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World is a masterpiece. It's like One Hundred Years of Solitude distilled into its purest spirit, fit onto just a few pages.
jacky
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I used to own a huge pile of anthologies that my father got for me over the years. I didn't use them very often, so I donated most of them to my school. I did keep a few which contained stories I kept going back to. This book had stories I pulled out to use with my sophomores. If I remember correctly, I used "Everyday Use" and "The Veldt" from this book.
Jere
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A wide selection of short stories and many (never-heard-of) authors.
Some good, some mediocre - didn't come across any that I disliked.
There are also some reviews and commentaries, which were an interesting read. Lots of content, maybe a bit too much, felt sort of a heavy read.

Favourites:
Cathedral by Raymond Carver. READ IT!
The Dead by James Joyce.
Alex
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
All I get to read these days is what I'm teaching, and I'm so lucky to get to teach a senior elective on reading and writing short stories. We're going to read as much of this book as possible, and I don't think there's a story in it that doesn't belong. I'd add thousands more, but this is as good a place as any for them to get a real taste of my favorite art form.
aisha
Jul 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: onpause
soooo good.

a fantastic array of authors (tim o'brien, capote, faulkner, chopin, etc) - it's a good way to dip into authors you've been interested in reading. i enjoyed the selection of stories by authors i'd read before, and was pleasantly satisfied with the ones i hadn't.

definitely a "good read".

also, i'll always have a special place in my heart for norton's.
Chory
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-for-school
Yet another in my collection of Norton Anthologies—a veritable mountain of them at his point. This one is the standard for a reason…everything you're looking for that is in the mainstream (i.e., not esoteric or too-arthouse) is in this anthology. For everything else (too-new, too avant-garde), look somewhere else.
Jonathan
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of those college text books I just couldn't sell back- this collection is made up of some of the most notable pieces of literature I have studied and loved throughout my life including Young Goodman Brown, The Littoral Zone, Snow, The Dead, and the list goes on.
Rebecca
Okay, I didn't read all of this book, but I have read all that I am going to be reading. At least for the time being. Some of the stories I read in class were alright some of them even good. However, there were some pretty bad ones as well.
Ellen Allerton
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A long time favorite of mine because of the variety of stoies offered and the questions at the end of each story. I took a short stories class in college and I loved reading all of these stories and the discussions that followed.
Doverdorff
Jun 23, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm embracing the short story this summer. This is a book from college and I remember being horrified at the fact that we read so few of the stories after buying it (the book is monstrous!). Favorite so far "The Star" by Arthur C. Clarke
Lucas
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of goodreads in here.
Anna Tatelman
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, diverse selection of authors & stories.
Guy
Jan 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very big, but not very good, collection of short stories.
Hillary
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This compilation is expertly put together. From Hemingway to Malamud, Tolstoy to Beattie, it encompasses all aspects of human existance.
Frenchtoastygood
Oct 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Using this in a fiction class now. I like it, especially the thin pages, although it's annoying to carry around - it's a typical Norton.
Marc
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laurence, Atwood, Munro, Oates, Johnson, Wilkins Freeman almost make up for the throwaway that de Maupassant probably wrote while sneaking drugs while on the can
Carlos
Mar 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading Amy Tan's Rules of the Game. Loved this short, the first time I read it, now I don't remember why it affected me so much. Maybe it was just pertinent for the time.
Lisa
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great stories.

• The Norton Anthology of World Masterpieces
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 2: The Romantic Period through the Twentieth Century
  • The Norton Anthology of Literature by Women: The Traditions in English
  • The Norton Anthology Of American Literature
  • The Norton Anthology of Modern Poetry
  • The Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction: Fifty North American Stories Since 1970
  • Postmodern American Fiction: A Norton Anthology
  • Points of View: An Anthology of Short Stories
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • The Anchor Book of New American Short Stories
  • You've Got to Read This: Contemporary American Writers Introduce Stories that Held Them in Awe
  • Women and Fiction: Short Stories By and About Women
  • McSweeney's #14
  • The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction to Short Fiction
  • The Seagull Reader: Stories
  • The Norton Introduction to Literature
  • The Norton Anthology of Western Literature, Volume 1
An acknowledged master of the short story form, Richard Bausch's work has appeared in The Atlantic Monthly, Esquire, Harper's, The New Yorker, Narrative, Gentleman's Quarterly. Playboy, The Southern Review, New Stories From the South, The Best American Short Stories, O. Henry Prize Stories, and The Pushcart Prize Stories; and they have been widely anthologized, including The Granta Book of the Ame ...more
“I mean to express the quality of a memory, in order to say something about this life we live, so much of which is fugitive, so much of which is lost in the living of it.” 0 likes