Start by marking “1,227 Quite Interesting Facts to Blow Your Socks Off” as Want to Read:
1,227 Quite Interesting Facts to Blow Your Socks Off

1,227 Quite Interesting Facts to Blow Your Socks Off

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  3,230 Ratings  ·  186 Reviews
From the creators of the hugely popular BBC quiz show QI and the best-selling Book of General Ignorance: 1,227 mind-bending facts.

Did you know?

• Cows moo in regional accents.

• The international dialing code for Russia is 007.

• The water in the mouth of a blue whale weighs more than its body.

• Pants are responsible for twice as many accidents as chain saws.

• Saddam Hussein'
Published September 9th 2013 by W. W. Norton Company (first published November 1st 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about 1,227 Quite Interesting Facts to Blow Your Socks Off

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
I used to be a boghandler, that's 'bookseller' in Danish. If there are enough diamonds in the world to give everyone a cupful, why are they so expensive? Did you know Bram Stoker, author of Dracula, married Oscar Wilde's first girlfriend? There's a joke in there somewhere, I know it.

The point is, these 1,227 QI Facts are eye-opening, hilarious and just plain weird. Trivia isn't for everyone but this is a great toilet or coffee table book, something you can dip in and out of whenever the mood t
B J Burton
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy the QI programme, you'll love this fantastic collection of the weird and the wonderful. I got it in the Kindle format for the bargain price of 20p and read it all the way through without stopping. Now I'm going through it again reading out loud to anyone who'll listen. One point is that this is probably better bought in the print format as it's the perfect coffee table book; your friends will enjoy dipping in - but they'll have trouble putting it down.
Joey Woolfardis
QI is one of the most popular British comedy panel shows. It's intellectual prowess is unrivalled, as is its humour.

1227 QI Facts to Blow Your Socks Off does exactly what it says on the tin: a book full of (1227) facts that are simultaneously wonderful, funny, intriguing and down-right weird. A wonderful book to dip in and out of. It's not set out in any kind of order: there are no themes or sections, it's simply a list of facts to give you The Knowledge. Use it wisely.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter
Nikki
I have a weakness for books like this. It's really just a list of facts, some more fascinating than others. The most memorable ones of course involve penises (Kinsey could insert a toothbrush into his, bristle-end first; barnacles can have penises up to 20x longer than their body) and such things. Many of them will be familiar from even a few episodes of QI (I recognised a handful from the most recent series, anyway), and some were unfortunately also very familiar to me from Mark Forsyth's The H ...more
Selena Beckman-Harned
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I thought a book of facts would bore me after awhile and I'd want to read something else, but I tore right through. The way it's organized is almost poetic!
Lala Memmedova
Özümə maraqlı gələn faktları sitatlara əlavə etmişəm və sayları cəmi 43-dür. Ara-sıra maraqlı idi, təkrarlar da gözdən yayınmadı. Muzey faktov səhifəsini ardıcıl oxuyursan sanki. Kitabın formatı onsuzda belə olacağını xəbər verirdi, ona görə gözlənilməz birşey yoxdur. Oxuyun, özünüzü ağıllı göstərib hamının zəhləsini tökmək üçün ideal vasitədir.
Gerry
Dec 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite interesting!

Fascinating facts about practically everything are included in this very readable volume. Because it is QI-based, one can assume that everything within the covers is genuine but one would be forgiven for wondering whether some of the facts are spoofs (of course, they aren't). But one could always consider Mark twain's quote, 'Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.'

For instance, did Sylvester Stallone really clean out lion cages before becomi
Stacey (prettybooks)
A great book to read before bed!

The average pencil can write 45,000 words, or a single line 35 miles long.

George W. Bush named The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle as his favourite childhood book. It was published when he was 23 years old.
Denise
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2015
Fascinating and fun facts about pretty much anything and everything.
Dan Smith
Jan 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bit of a disappointment. Not because I expected it to be a little more organised, like the other QI books I've got (not yet finished), and not because it is frankly a bit of a bog book. No, I was disappointed because the "facts" came nowhere near to blowing my socks off.

I may have become jaded, but revelations such as "In 2010, YouTube was watched 700bn times, but 99% of the views were of only 30% of the videos" were humdrum and unsurprising. "only 2% of women describe themselves as b
Amy
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
As per usual, QI is very good in the sock removal department. I always adore the books QI put out, each with new and odd facts and figures you never knew you never knew, or ever needed to know for that matter. This is a quicker book to get through, filled with short snippets of information rather than the pages and paragraphs of previous books. I think John Lloyd mentioned in the introduction the lay out it similar to reading poetry, and it is. Each fact is centred and broken up into 3 or 4 line ...more
charlottebibliophile
As far as a book of facts goes, this book covered an interesting selection. There were sections on the etymology of words from many different languages, and facts about people, places, animals and artefacts. They all linked together excellently, usually bouncing off the previous fact - for example "Asteroid 1,227 is called Geranium" leads to "The ozone layer smells faintly of geraniums" - thankfully that's where the geranium related facts end.
Unfortunately, very few facts (precisely zero in fac
Elle
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I absolutely adore random facts so when I saw this book I couldn't resist. It is an absolutely fantastic collection of facts that range from ridiculous, hilarious and really educational. I couldn't recommend it more for anyone who likes to know random things about our world and it is also great for those pub quizzes!
Amy Joynes
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bought this on Kindle for 20p and its brilliant. Definitely worth reading though its not one of those books you can read on you're own. You end up having to tell someone, anyone that you can find what fact you just read.
Marcus
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An awesome book of facts. I could not put it down until I finished reading it. Some seem so unbelievable that you want to fact check them. When you do, you seem shocked that they are all true!

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Cheyenne Blue
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pure-fun
Another random kindle. Loosely grouped trivia taken from the QI quiz show. Not the sort of thing to read as a book, more the sort of thing that sits in the toilet to be opened at random and enjoyed.
Michelle
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very huh!-worthy.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Oct 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I can't help myself, I love random fact books. I thought this was a good one, and I certainly learned a lot.
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
"The average house cat is faster than Usain Bolt." Fun little book, endlessly useful for annoying a spouse while he/she is trying to do something else.
Rachel
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Quite interesting facts indeed! I liked the way they did all poetically come together in the way they were ordered -- we can draw so many connections between the lines themselves.
Krollo
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fun and interesting read, full of wonderfully repeatable soundbites. It never ceases to amaze.
Nick
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Knowledge!
Mommooshka
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a fun, little book to pick up for short periods of time and read a few pages. It contains lots of interesting facts from all fields, geographic areas, and subjects. There's something for everyone!
Vickie
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
As the title states, interesting facts!
Maki
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adore QI. The show was my go-to distraction on days I didn't feel up to moving around while I was pregnant. So I jumped on the books the second I realized they existed. Thank you for that one, Goodreads recommendations.

1227 Facts is filled to the brim with snippets of information, the sort you would expect to hear Stephen Fry patiently explaining to Alan Davies. Of course, being just facts, there's no real substance behind them - each fact is delivered on its own, without any of the
Katie
We don't watch much television in our house (probably because we don't own one) but we do rather enjoy QI, not least because of the ever charming Stephen Fry. When I spotted this book available for the Kindle for only £0.20 I couldn't resist seeing how well the format of the television programme translated into book form. It also proved an excellent choice to test drive my new ereader.

This book delighted and frustrated me in equal measure. The facts in the book are the perfect blend of the bizar
Selena
Yeah... Maybe because the title oversold it, but I wasn't particularly impressed with the facts in this book. I mean, "interesting"? Yes. "Blow my socks off"? No.

Part of the problem was that, because the authors were British, most of the facts were about Great Britain and in pounds, so it was a bit like gibberish to me, those parts.

Also, many of the facts seemed incomplete or incorrect. "The Japanese word for handbag is handubagu" for instance. Yes, that's a word for it, but my Japanese professo
Ann (Noumena12)
Sep 15, 2013 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I heard an interview with the Author John Lloyd on NPR Saturday edition. During the interview, Author Lloyd "suggests that if this book were taught in schools, students would learn faster and remember more because it reduces real knowledge to its most interesting elements."

For example, from the first page of the book:
Asteroid 1,227 is called Geranium.
The ozone layer smells faintly of geraniums.
The center of the galaxy tastes like raspberries.
The universe is shaped like a vuvuzela.

Lloyd explains
Caitlin
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, nerdy-fun
It's hard to review a book that should really just be a reference text - but I read it almost in one go when waiting for someone at the airport when their flight got delayed.

Naturally, I love QI because I collect random bits of stuff (I am the pub quiz queen) - and I like how the factoids were arranged. I think if they had been put into sections then I would have skipped over some - although it does make it a little harder to go back to ones I want to use again.

That's right - one thing I found s
Mary
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I won this book through a First Reads giveaway. It's a cute book and does indeed include a lot of facts. A lot of the facts are funny and unexpected, and I enjoyed reading them. Several made me laugh out loud, such as this cute one: "It was 33 years after toilet paper was invented in Green Bay, Wisconsin, that it could be advertised as 'splinter free'". I definitely learned a thing or two from reading this book and feel it was time well entertained. I've got it sitting on my coffee table to ente ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate Kindle (superlibrarian's help required!) 5 169 Jan 05, 2013 01:04PM
  • Extreme Frontiers: Racing Across Canada from Newfoundland to the Rockies
  • 21st Century Dodos: A Collection of Endangered Objects: and Other Stuff
  • London's Strangest TalesExtraordinary But True Tales from Over a Thousand Years of London's History
  • Pop Goes the Weasel: The Secret Meanings Of Nursery Rhymes
  • The Etymologicon: A Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language
  • Scared Sh*tless: 1,003 Facts That Will Scare the Sh*t Out of You
  • Bond On Bond: Reflections on 50 years of James Bond Movies
  • The Monarchy: A Critique of Britain's Favourite Fetish (Counterblasts #10)
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • 30-Second Philosophies: The 50 most thought-provoking philosophies, each explained in half a minute
  • The Ultimate Book of Top Ten Lists: A Mind-Boggling Collection of Fun, Fascinating and Bizarre Facts on Movies, Music, Sports, Crime, Celebrities, History, Trivia and More
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • Drake's Comprehensive Compendium of Dragonology
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • The Story of English in 100 Words
  • The Game Of Logic
  • That Book: ...of Perfectly Useless Information
  • The Compleat Ankh-Morpork: City Guide
John Hardress Wilfred Lloyd CBE is a British comedy writer and television producer. Lloyd was Trinity College, Cambridge, where he befriended and later shared a flat with Douglas Adams. He worked as a radio producer at the BBC 1974–1978 and created The News Quiz, The News Huddlines, To The Manor Born (with Peter Spence) and Quote... Unquote (with Nigel Rees). He wrote Hordes of the Things with And ...more
More about John Lloyd...
“In 2010, the BBC spent nearly £230,000 on tea, but only £2000 on biscuits.” 7 likes
“In the 1950s, to allow babies of students at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, to enter the premises, they were re-defined as cats.” 6 likes