Start by marking “Secrets Of The Woods” as Want to Read:
Secrets Of The Woods

Secrets Of The Woods

(Wood Folk Series #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  116 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Vivid sketches of the wood-mouse, otter, kingfisher, red squirrel, partridge, deer, and other wood folk. Through his anecdotes the author shares with the reader what can be learned of the habits of animals through keen observation over a long period of time-details that elude the casual visitor to the woods.
Paperback
Published March 3rd 2006 by Yesterday's Classics (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets Of The Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets Of The Woods

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Secrets Of The Woods
Wendy Jones
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For weeks I had looked longingly out of college windows as the first tracking snows came sifting down, my thoughts turning from books and the problems of human wisdom to the Winter Woods, with their wide white pages written all over by the feet of wild things. Then the sun would shine again, and I knew that the records were washed clean, and the hard packed leaves as innocent of footmarks as the beach where plover feed when a great wave has chased them away.

It is rare to me to find an author
Katie
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Delightful. I'm not sure there is a better word for this book. Long's writings makes me want to get way out in the woods to just sit quietly. To observe, contemplate, form relationships. Since beginning this book, I've found myself and my kids taking much greater interest in the behaviors of the little creatures in our own back yard. I highly recommend Long to anyone who love animals and nature - or who wants to learn to love them.
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A slow and steady nature lore book. It took the kids and I almost 5 months to read this book, but it was one of their favourite read alouds this year. We enjoyed hearing William Longs observations of the wood-folks.
We had our favourites, Tookhees, the Fraid One and the sad fate of Meeko the mischief maker, and the amusing drumming of the ruffed grouse.
Have you heard of drumming? The kids giggled when we watched a video of a grouse attracting its mate.
John Yelverton
An amateur naturalist waxes whimsy as he tells of his exploring in the woods and noting animal behavior. The use of dialects and Indian names makes it very difficult to get a hold of the story in places, and therefore doesn't make for very pleasant reading.
Heather Bork
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school, 2019
Part of our homeschool curriculum. I read it to my 3rd grader. It was such an exceptional look at the ways of the wood folk through the eyes of a woodsman and naturalist.
Emery Black
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Wasn't that crazy about it.😒
Jessica Briggs
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet stories of nature that helped us appreciate the peaty creatures (eg., squirrels) in our own back yard. Nice story form and equally good information for the science. ...more
Lindsay B
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
It was ok. But kind of boring to. All it was about was this guy telling you what animals he saw and what they were doing. 😒
Jana
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It is beautifully written, even poetic at times. It teaches about wildlife in their natural habitat through the interactions of a nature lover with the creatures around him. It really draws you in, personally, into the animals' world, treating the animals as characters. Even my 4 year old, just overhearing bits & pieces, made connections with some of the animal characters. Every red squirrel will now be Meeko! I have never read a "science" book quite like it.
Lekeshua
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
We have learned a bit from this book once you can filter through the wordiness. My son loved learning about forest creatures and the Indian. And I enjoyed the same along with the care given to the animals. Observing animals in their natural habitat and taking care to remind them if they get comfortable what fear is, struck a heart string of keeping animals in their natural state without causing harm is amazing.
Tracy
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool
Read this with my daughter as part of the AO Yr3 curriculum for nature study. We enjoyed most of the animal stories, especially the otter and the wood-mouse, but quite a few were unnecessarily wordy, which detracted from our overall enjoyment of the book. Mostly, we have really liked the AO book choices, so this is the first 2-star review for us.
Nevada Libert
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
i loved this book alot this is a really great book.
Kristi
It was so wordy, but not in the cool Tolkein kind of way. I just couldn't get into it.
Nicholas & Megan Clinch
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: year-1, to-reread, advent
We listened in the car using the LibriVox app. Really fun to imagine while driving through the winter woods on the way to hikes in the Blue Ridge Mtns!
Lmichelleb
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature-study
What a hauntingly beautiful guide through the New England woods, including intimate visits with many of the woodland creatures, their personalities showing the endless ingenuity of their Creator!
Veronica

• Poor Richard
  • Marco Polo: His Travels and Adventures
  • Our Island Story
  • Parables from Nature
  • Gaudy Night (Lord Peter Wimsey, #12)
  • Are Women Human? Astute and Witty Essays on the Role of Women in Society
  • Parents and Children (Original Homeschooling #2)
  • Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy, #1)
  • Gregor Mendel: The Friar Who Grew Peas
  • The Wreck & Rise of Whitson Mariner (Tales of Old Natalia, #2)
  • Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)
  • The Door in the Wall
  • Joan of Arc
  • Good Queen Bess: The Story of Elizabeth I of England
William Joseph Long (1867-1952) was an American writer, naturalist and minister. He lived and worked in Stamford, Connecticut as a minister of the First Congregationalist Church.

Wood Folk Series (7 books)
  • Ways of Wood Folk
  • Wilderness Ways
  • Wood Folk at School
  • A Little Brother to the Bear
  • Northern Trails, Book I.
  • Northern Trails, Book 2