Start by marking “Naples! (Recipe for Adventure, #1)” as Want to Read:
Naples! (Recipe for Adventure, #1)

Naples!

(Recipe for Adventure #1)

When Zia Donatella comes to live with the Bertolizzi family, little do Alfie and his older sister Emilia know what's in store for them. Zia Dontella is determined to show the kids how a home-cooked meal is better than even the best take-out pizza or burrito. And when Zia's plan actually transports Alfie and Emilia to famous food cities around the world, they learn first-ha ...more
Published September 3rd 2013 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about Naples!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naples!

Leslie
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gave-away
Great story line! Made me want to go cook something yummy to eat, and revisit Naples!
Engrid Penny
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute book for kids. I can see it adding a spark to ignite (sorry about that) interest in cooking with fresh ingredients. Didn't care for the characterization of the older sister...all told, it was cute.
Gail
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for the under 10 group. I like to read children's books to keep up to date for my grandchildren.
Becky B
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alfie and Emilia are tasting their Aunt Zia's zeppole when they suddenly find themselves in Naples, Italy, the city their parents were originally from. They get involved in a pizza contest and helping their new friend Marco and his family prepare while trying to avoid spies who would steal their recipe.

Don't read this series while hungry! The plot line almost entirely revolves around the food of Italy while occasionally mentioning the sights of Naples. It's a fun way to get kids interested in ex
Creolecat
While looking for children’s cookbooks for my goddaughter, I came across this book and New Orleans! (Recipe for Adventure #4) by television chef Giada De Laurentiis. Part of a series about the Bertolizzi siblings, each book takes them to a different city for a culinary adventure. I am not a follower of Giada and I don’t own any of her cookbooks. But this is a fun series. The stories have depth and the illustrations are lively. Not only do children read about Emelia and Alfie’s adventures, but th ...more
Makenzie
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book "Naples! (Recipe for Adventure, #1)" by Giada De Laurentiis was a very interesting and well written book. The detail in the book was impeccable and made it feel as though you were in Italy yourself. Not to mention the story was plot was really original and fun to read about. I strongly recommend this book to anyone into reading books about fantasy and adventure. Especially if you like Italian cuisine!
Kirsten
Oct 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book reads as if it were written by a celebrity chef intent on promoting good, healthy cooking and eating. Huh. It sounds reasonable, but it just didn’t work, especially with the gender stereotypes. Ugh.
Namratha
A kiddie book for kiddies (and adults like me) who love cooking and believe that something truly magical can happen when you respect the alchemy of food.
Owen Taylor
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this in fourth grade, great book for young audience.
Keira
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stef
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute little adventure book for kids. Great descriptions of Naples, markets, and food. Now we want pizza!
Katie Fitzgerald
This review covers books 1 and 2 of the Recipe for Adventure series.

Alfie and Emilia usually eat take-out for dinner because neither of their parents really likes to cook. When Zia Donatella, their great aunt, comes to live with them, she introduces them to real home-cooked cuisine. Alfie and Emilia are thrilled to learn about new foods, and even more excited when their aunt’s cooking actually transports them to other countries! In the first two books of this new series, Alfie and Emilia make un
Elissa Schaeffer
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I approached this with trepidation, knowing that Giada de Laurentiis has added yet another "dimension" to her celebrity with now writing children's books.

Upon being visited by their Zia Donatella, Alfie and Emelia, who's family dinner's consist of take out and pizza ordering, taste home cooked food from simple ingredients and find themselves whisked away to Naples for an adventure of ingredients.

This struggled at first to find it's footing, mostly because it struggled to find it's narrator befor
Jenn M
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent beginning to the Recipe for Adventure series, co-authored by Giada De Laurentiis, celebrity chef of Food Network and best selling cookbooks fame. I believe these books probably originated with Giada telling stories to her nieces/nephews and/or child(ren), because the main characters are Italian Americans, some of whom were born in Italy and emigrated and who love to cook.

This story begins with the Bertolizzi family enjoying take-out food and siblings Alfie (Alfredo) and Emilia squabbl
Reving
Jul 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

So Giada De Laurentiis is writing kids books now! Recipe for Adventure #1 Naples! Is her first one, the next one is Paris! De Laurentiis was at ALA Chicago, but I didn't see her, but I did get a galley of Naples!
The premise of these books is interesting. Alfredo and Emilia and Italian-American siblings who are introduced to real Italian cooking by their Aunt Zia. When they take a bite of her zeppole, they are transported to present-day Naples where they help a family in trouble. It's kinda a Ma
Penny McGill
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-kids
A nice series choice for younger kids. A brother and sister team up on adventures that have them travelling the world and helping children they meet with food-related mysteries.

The siblings don't argue as much as they should (said my 12-year old) and there isn't enough tension there to grab our attention for long. It might be that this series is too young for the readers in this house but I know that I'll be passing this one on to the strong readers who have finished everything Droon-like or Ja
Gabrielle
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Such an easy book for the culinary kid! Or the person who dreams of traveling! Or likes to eat!!

This book was one I read in an hour, it was that easy. It is the story of Alfie and his sister who are magically transported to Naples and a pizza making adventure. You can tell that Giada de Laurentiis has been to Naples, as the descriptions of the places are vividly written. Like I didn't need another reason to go to Italy.

Another highlight of the book are the Italian words and phrases that pepper t
Jen B.
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-books
I think this series could be a great series for students to get hooked on. I love that it is something different, in terms of the passion for food and cooking. While there are some similarities to other series (boy/girl siblings, traveling, adventure/mystery) this new twist is something a few of my students are really excited about, that I have not seen elsewhere.

The description of Naples and the food made my mouth water and piqued my curiosity to travel to this part of the world. I want it to
Megan
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jfic
Magic Tree House meets the Food Network is the best description of this beginning chapter book. While it's a fun read with adventure, food and facts there was some sort of weird gender stuff going on between the brother and the sister that really bothered me. It would have been fine but over and over again to the point of ridiculousness the author mentioned how afraid and timid Emilia was and how her brother always had to care for her. This book is not on my list of great female characters but f ...more
KGlo
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Note: This book was won on a giveaway featured on goodreads. All thoughts on the book are my own.

This is an adorable book featuring siblings Emilia and Alfie as they have an adventure in Naples. Although the plot is a little silly, it is still a cute book that focuses on family, food, and cultural traditions. This book would be perfect for an elementary school reader.

The only thing I dislike about it is the recipe cards in the back. The idea is nice, but I wish they would have included recipes t
Elaine
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: elementary-aged kids who like food or cooking
Shelves: fiction, kids-books
This is like Magic Tree House, but going to a different location rather than a different time period. The focus is pizza and the kids mysteriously and unexpectedly travel to Naples and while they are there, they discover the pizza legacy of Naples, using fresh, simple, quality ingredients. It's a sweet story that intertwines the importance of family into the adventure. The beginning of the book was filled with annoying bickering between the siblings, but by the end of the book, they realize how ...more
Kim
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, cooking
I read this one second due to my library being delayed with the weather. As with the second book, the recipes were missing from this copy, a move I now feel was done by the library for whatever reason. This makes it hard to review the entire book as it was not complete. I liked the second book a little better than this one, but since this was introducing the characters, I can forgive the stiffness of it. I feel that your budding chef and early readers will like the story, and again Giada fans wi ...more
paula
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Hmm. Yes to the celebration of cooking and eating, yes to the story of ingredients and the descriptions of Naples... No to the older sister being so frightened and trepidatious that her younger brother is constantly monitoring her comfort level, and has to make all the decisions and cajole her into action. Yes to the actual recipes included in the book (giant Yes), and I'm going to read the next book to see whether Emilia becomes emboldened in the course of these adventures.
Wendy
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, pre-pub
Cute chapter book about a brother and sister magically transported to Naples, Italy, after eating their great aunt's delicious zeppole. I think the series will get kids excited about both food and traveling! Also, I am now craving a pizza Margherita, and I am seriously considering using the recipe card included in the back of the book.
Lauren
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very cute idea for a series! A brother and sister are magically transported to another country via their fun and crazy aunt and her delicious food. Cute, fun read, and something I recommended to my 9 year old daughter. She LOVES this series and we enjoy making some of the recipes that are in the back of every book.
Carol
This series is a great choice for 3rd graders. Basically it is Magic Tree House for slightly older kids with an international cuisine twist.
Brother and sister are catapulted into another part of the world with the help from their aunt. While trying to figure out how they got to Naples and how to get back home, they stumble upon a family rivalry and a bit of mystery.
Cassandra
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book for free from goodreads first reads.

I loved this book and it is such a fast read that you can enjoy with your kids. I loved to read it out loud an d my kids and home school kids had a great time. This book is well written and I would love to read more by this author in the future.
Molly
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
My 9 year old daughter really enjoyed this book. I think this series would be great for kids that enjoy cooking. My kids are little "foodies". I think fans of the Magic Tree House would also enjoy this as there is "magical travel" involved as well as a positive message at the end.
Gemma
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Picked this up at the library on a whim. Food, international travel with Italian language mixed in made for an interesting concept. The writing is just so, so, but a fine choice for kids who just want to spend a few hours on a light read. Won't appeal to everyone, but it does for us.
Rachel
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Fun read, great for kids or families who either love food or are getting ready to travel to Naples. Siblings fighting and having to work together while learning about the history and sights of Naples, all while learning to make Neapolitan pizza.

• How to Speak Dog: A Guide to Decoding Dog Language
  • Sylva and the Fairy Ball
  • Africa Is My Home: A Child of the Amistad
  • A Treasury of Great Recipes
  • A Tightly Raveled Mind
  • Jessica Darling's It List 2: The (Totally Not) Guaranteed Guide to Friends, Foes & Faux Friends
  • Princess Ellie to the Rescue
  • Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Attack of the Factoids
  • The Adventures of Caterwaul the Cat: Feline Pie
  • Amy and the Missing Puppy (The Critter Club, #1)
  • Hissy Fitz
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret
  • The Hill
  • Enchanted by Starlight
  • Bayou Magic
  • The Secret of the Attic (Magic Attic Club, #1)
  • No Such Thing as a Witch
  • Why Do We Fight?: Conflict, War, and Peace
Giada De Laurentiis is a Los Angeles-based celebrity chef who's published several cookbooks and hosts several shows for Food Network. Born in Rome, Italy, she grew up surrounded by homemade Italian cooking. As a child, she and her family moved to California, where she spent countless hours at her grandfather's restaurant DLL Foodshow. Upon graduating from UCLA with a degree in anthropology, Giada ...more

Recipe for Adventure (9 books)
  • Paris! (Recipe for Adventure, #2)
  • Hong Kong! (Recipe for Adventure, #3)
  • New Orleans! (Recipe for Adventure, #4)
  • Rio de Janeiro! (Recipe for Adventure, #5)
  • Hawaii! (Recipe for Adventure, #6)
  • Miami! (Recipe for Adventure, #7)
  • Philadelphia! (Recipe for Adventure, #8)
  • Recipe for Adventure 1-4 Box Set