Start by marking “The Christmas Tale of Peter Rabbit” as Want to Read:

( Peter Rabbit)

Peter Rabbit and his cousin Benjamin Bunny have a new friend, William the Turkey. The trio is excited for Christmas--until they realize that William is meant to be Mr. McGregor's Christmas supper! Just in time, Peter and Benjamin hide William, and the three enjoy a lovely Christmas dinner of pickled radishes and barley cake at the Rabbit family burrow.

This story is inspir
Published October 22nd 2013 by Warne (first published October 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Tale of Peter Rabbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Tale of Peter Rabbit

Julie
Not sure how I missed this when it came out, but it's a clever continuation of Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit tales, written by actress Emma Thompson and featuring Peter's cousin Benjamin Bunny. Her story adaptation is faithful to the original and the artistry of illustrator Eleanor Taylor is virtually indistinguishable from that of Potter. The introduction of William, the Christmas turkey who doesn't want to be eaten, is a cute addition to her cast of characters. Charming little story.
Ashleigh
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come on my blog and scheduled for publication day.
Susan
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming!
Katy Noyes
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is beautifully illustrated and written in a style faithful to Beatrix Potter, as was Thompson's first.

This second story is set just before Christmas, when Peter and Benjamin happen upon William the turkey who proudly declares that the McGregor's are 'having him for dinner'... Can they save the proud bird from his fate?

I read this as an adult, to become familiar with the story, but was struck that this could be awkward for some parents reading it to their children, having to talk about the
Taija
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Stop punishing meat eaters!!!! I’m sick of reading children’s stories where people who fatten up turkeys for thanksgiving or Christmas are the bad guys!!!! The “good guys” help the turkey escape, and then the “bad guys” eat nothing but scraps for their holiday feast. C’mon already...

I actually want to get rid of this book, but the pictures are too pretty - and the kids unfortunately seemed to be in favour of saving the turkey. I don’t think they realize the chicken I served them for supper used
Kathryn
Oh my how cute William the turkey is and he is saved from being made into dinner by Peter and Benjamin. So well written and the illustrations a pure delight.
Michelle
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a collector of Peter Rabbit stories this one is as good as any Beatrix Potter one written.I was very pleased with it and would share it with my kids and grandkids gladly.
Suzanne
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Emma Thompson does a grand job of continuing Beatrix Potter's beloved stories.
cọng rơm
Written By: Emma Thompson
Illustrated By: Eleanor Taylor

Fountas & Pinnell: L
Book Level: 2nd Grade

Book Summary: Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny come across their friend William (a turkey) and have to break some bad news to him, the McGregor’s are planning on having him for Christmas dinner. Peter and Benjamin work on a plan to save their feathered friend.

Genre: Traditional Literature and Picture Book
This is a traditional literature book because it’s base
David  Ballard
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is quite a fun tale for Christmas and easily transports you back to the original stories, both in text and the beautiful illustrations. It continues the somewhat dark theme of Mr McGregor wanting to eat the characters for dinner. In this instance it is William the turkey, currently enjoying some fine dinners to fatten him up, who is on the menu for Christmas Day. As a parent, William provides a great character to provide a posh voice for and his eventual realisation that he is to be "roaste ...more
Christina
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. The story in this second book was stronger than The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit, due largely to the strong characterization of William the turkey, a new character added to Beatrix Potter's world. The plot isn't especially original--Peter and cousin Benjamin try to help William escape the Christmas dinner table. The illustrations by Eleanor Taylor were, once again, strong. Overall, I liked this book better than the first.
Dianna
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny save their turkey friend from the chopping block for Mr. McGregor's Christmas dinner. It was charming and engaging and not too long, and while the topic and humor weren't 100% in line with the way I imagine Beatrix Potter would have done things, it was still a fun story. The illustrations were beautifully done in the style of Beatrix Potter—not exactly the same, of course, but they have the same feel.
Lindsay
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maybe more of a 3.5 stars...
A Cute, festive story of Peter Rabbit from Emma Thompson. Not quite as good at the original books by Beatrix Potter, that I had read through my childhood, still a cute revisit though. The illustrations were cute and very colourful.
Pat
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely illustrations true to Beatrix Potter's style, make this a great story, but perhaps one for children who are old enough to understand that people do eat animals.
Lauren
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful artwork. Fun story, very much in the vein of Beatrix Potter. Loved Emma Thompson's introduction to this.
Kirsty (kirstylikes)
A lovely and sweet little Christmas tale.
Coenraad
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emma Thompson adds cleverly, respectfully and amusedly to the stories about Peter Rabbit. It's Christmas time, and Peter and his cousin Benjamin Bunny become involved with the lot of William the turkey. Eleanor Taylor's illustrations also fit neatly with the tradition, while she uses an own style. Words and pictures combine to create an enjoyable tale which raises some questions about our festivities - although that makes it sound too serious: the tale remains great fun.

Emma Thompson en Eleanor
Katey Lovell
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Written by actress Emma Thompson and illustrated by Eleanor Taylor, The Christmas Tale of Peter Rabbit is a sympathetic addition to any Beatrix Potter fans collection.

Available in a glorious hardback with sparkling snowflakes on the cover, it is visually attractive and the story doesn't disappoint either. Peter and Benjamin are determined to help William the turkey avoid the fate of their father and devise a plan to foil their old enemy Mr McGregor...

I loved the illustrations - inspired by Pot
Ms. Tyler
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This second installment by Emma Thompson to further the tales of mischievous Peter Rabbit is as delightful as the first.

With Christmas preparations underway, Peter Rabbit. and Benjamin Bunny are underfoot at their houses so their mothers send them on errands. Together, they meet a proud turkey named William, who boasts that Mr. and Mrs. McGregor are planning on having him for dinner, something he considers a great honor. Once Peter and Benjamin explain, they try to hide William in various place
The Styling Librarian
The Christmas Tale of Peter Rabbit by Emma Thompson, illustrated by Eleanor Taylor – inspired by the original tales of Beatrix Potter – Wow, such a beautifully illustrated story! I love everything about this book, the classic touch, thick paper, illustrations, special story about a turkey, solution for saving a life and more, quite recommended. I was a little concerned about Emma Thompson creating a book but enjoyed hearing her voice in my head as I read this aloud to my son…
Melanie
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a darling Christmas picture book, and we were delighted to discover that our copy came with an audio recording of Emma Thompson reading her story in her enchanting British accent. In the style of the timeless Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter, Emma Thompson has written an endearing tale about Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny who work together to save William, the Christmas turkey. Great start to our 24 days of Christmas stories! I got our copy through the library.
Rosa Cline
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas
Peter Rabbit and his cousin Benjamin Bunny want to resuce their friend Tom Turkey from being Christmas dinner. He thinks he's Mrs McGregor's favorite because he gets all the nice and yummy foods but Peter and Benjamin tells him the real reason why. They help him 'hide' when Mr McGregor come after him. This tale is a very charming animal Christmas tale.
Pamela Kramer
Oh, my goodness. Emma Thompson does an incredible job channeling Beatrix Potter. The story is heartwarming, the illustrations fabulous. And the CD with Thompson reading the story? Perfection.

Read the whole review at: The Christmas Tale of Peter Rabbit
Karyn The Pirate
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely addition to the Potter Peter Rabbit series. Emma Thompson does a great job with keeping in the tradition of Beatrix Potter. The illustrations were spot-on using watercolors to mute the colors similar to the original series.
Heather
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I think it would be a daunting job to try to continue Beatrix Potter's tales. Thompson wrote a good story, and the illustrations were nice, but neither the writing nor the illustrations were quite up to Beatrix Potter standard. Still a cute story for Christmas.
Summer
3.5 stars. This is a Christmas story told in England so I thought it was a little funny that it included a turkey. The CD when Emma reads it is pretty funny! :) I liked it but was expecting more around Peter Rabbit.

Tif
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Everything about this was as charming as the original tales- the story, the illustrations, Emma Thompson- everything.
Frances
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Lovely Christmas tale with a new feathery character. Just wish they'd published it in the usual small size rather than a great bit book, although it means you get to see more of the artwork.
Jocelin
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another fine entry in the world of Peter Rabbit. Bravo Emma Thompson!

• The Lost Gift: A Christmas Story
  • An Otis Christmas
  • The Christmas Quiet Book
  • A Christmas for Bear
  • Maple & Willow's Christmas Tree
  • Santa Bruce (A Mother Bruce book)
  • Pick a Pine Tree
  • Toot & Puddle: Let It Snow
  • Goth Girl and the Sinister Symphony (Goth Girl, #4)
  • The Christmas Boot
  • Franklin's Christmas Gift
  • The Snow Sister
  • Humphrey's First Christmas
  • Tallulah's Nutcracker
Emma Thompson is an Emmy-, BAFTA-, Golden Globe- and two time Academy Award-winning English actress, comedian, and screenwriter. She is also a patron of the Refugee Council.

Peter Rabbit (3 books)