Start by marking “Covenant with Hell (Medieval Mystery, #10)” as Want to Read:
Covenant with Hell  (Medieval Mystery, #10)

Covenant with Hell (Medieval Mystery #10)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  179 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
In the Spring of 1277, Prioress Eleanor goes on a pilgrimage to a famous East Anglian shrine.
There are rumors that King Edward may also visit the shrine soon to seek God’s blessing for his invasion of Wales.
Lurking in this sacred place, however, is an assassin hoping to murder a king.
Soon after Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas arrive, a nun falls to her death from th
Published December 3rd 2013 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Covenant with Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Covenant with Hell

Judith Starkston
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Priscilla Royal’s latest mystery finds Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas on a pilgrimage to Walsingham to mend Eleanor’s troubled soul. That Thomas’s soul is also in need of healing will go without saying for those familiar with this series. But instead of a salve for their souls, they find murder and dangers that could shake the whole kingdom.

I’m a sucker for a good story set in the past. Almost any clever plot with some lively characters can glue me to a page. But when a writer also incorpor
Margaret
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
After the last two books I was getting worried that this series had lost it's way.

However, "Covenant with Hell" gets the series back on track with an assassin, a secret agent, and a whole lot of general nastiness.

Can't really describe the plot without giving too much away.

Suffice to say that if you've enjoyed Priscilla Royal's early Prioress Eleanor books, you will probably enjoy this one...a lot.

Highly recommended.
Bettie☯
Susan in NC
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm enjoying this series more with each new outing, largely due to Prioress Eleanor. She's a wonderful lead character, wise, strong, rational, devout, compassionate, but with a wickedly dry sense of humor at times. The daughter of a baron, she is a natural leader despite her young age and diminutive stature, and woe unto those who underestimate her!

She and Brother Thomas, another member of Tyndal Priory and her sidekick in murder investigations in past adventures, have come to the Walsingham sh
Ionia
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Even without having read the other books in this series, this is a great book. I loved the ambiance in this novel. The characters and plot work well together, the setting is wonderful and the author does an amazing job of transporting you to the medieval world she describes.

I was fascinated by this story line from the first few pages and looked forward to reading more as the book progressed. I love that the characters grow and change throughout the story. Lessons are learned, events unfold and
Marilyn
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is hard to find a mystery series that doesn't become a little "cookie cutter" after several books. Covenant with Hell is the tenth in the Medieval Mystery series and is anything but predictable. Priscilla Royal keeps the story fresh and the characters fresher.

Our favorite characters, Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas, have traveled outside Tyndal Priory on a pilgrimage to Ryehill Priory for prayer and contemplation. The accommodations aren't ideal and the hosts seem unwelcoming. Eleanor and
Vicki Cline
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas have gone on a pilgrimage to a nearby shrine and are staying at the local priory. Not long after they arrive, one of the nuns there falls to her death from the bell tower. Had she been meeting with her lover? While I prefer books in this series which take place at Tyndal, Eleanor's own priory, this one is very interesting because of the unpleasant characters of the local prioress and the local priest. They are both stiff-necked and uncharitable to an orphan gi ...more
Rhonda
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best thus far in the series.
Pili
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
When I requested the ARC of this book on NetGalley I wasn't aware that it was the 10th book in a series, but once my request was approved I decided to read it as a stand alone and see how well that would work. Thankfully the book reads well enough as a stand alone, with enough information being revealed and explained about backstories of characters to understand them better.

The series follow a monk and a prioress of a special order where monks and nuns are allowed to work together and the top a
Kathleen
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far the best I have read in an enjoyable series, although probably sequels are supposed to do that. Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas continue to develop character, depth and acquire insight and self knowledge. Priscilla Royal is a fine historian and knows her period well. It is a period I appreciate as my ancestor(s) were one of Edward's household knights in Ireland.

The setting is just prior to Palm Sunday's pilgrimage to the Walsingham shrine in 1277. The times were unsettled and the prem
May
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you've read my reviews of Priscilla Royal's previous 9 books, you know that I love this series. This 10th addition to the series is no exception. The book takes place at Our Lady of Walsingham shrine, and there is a lot of great background explaining the shrine and its origins. Our two main characters, Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas, are back, although since the mystery takes place at the shrine, none of the other regulars make an appearance.
The mystery itself is relatively straightforwa
Kilian Metcalf
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's not easy to sustain the quality of writing over an extended series of books. Fortunately for readers Ms Royal has developed the ability to keep us interested. Digression: I met her once at Historical Novel Society conference in San Diego and misread her name a 'Princess Royal.' I later learned my mistake, but I like my version better.

The complex relationship between Brother Thomas, a gay monk, and his affectionate prioress Elizabeth is skillfully furthered in each book. Founded on mutual re
Cheryl M-M
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it
There seemed to be less focus on the battle Brother Thomas endures with accepting his sexual orientation and feeling strong emotions for another man, despite the fact there is a new love interest in this book. That sub-plot is one that I found bold in previous books in regards to the era and felt the significance of it wandered a little into the side-lines of this book.
I wasn't overly keen on all the you will be scourged in hell for your sins, especially when it came to young women/girls. That i
Carol
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I am a true fan of this author but this book was underwhelming compared to her previous ones. Her last book was so good maybe there was no place to go higher. I will continue to follow this series and hope the next book is better in plot and development of the characters.
Susan Corcoran
Apr 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I continue to enjoy this fabulous series of medieval mysteries. Royal handles the period with skill and weaves an interesting story, while continuing to develop her main characters Prioress Eleanor and Brother Thomas.
M Beal
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I discovered after I started reading this that it was the tenth book in a series. It really didn't matter, I loved it anyway. Prioress Eleanor is an amazing character, she is the main reason I picked up the book in the first place. I am anxiously waiting until to pick up more of these books.
Harriet
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this mystery a lot. However I found that the sanctimonious aspect of it became excessive for me in parts. The plot was interesting and most of the characterizations were very well done in a very black or white way.
Gordon
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good, solid fun, combined with an accurate viewpoint of the relic movement in Thirteenth Century England. I've read this series from its inception and I haven't regretted a moment I've spent.
Kirsten
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
My major annoyance with this series is the tiptoeing around Brother Thomas' ancestry. Otherwise kinda the same as the others...
Cheryl
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-edition
I just love these and each one gets better and better in term of character and mystery. I wait quite impatiently for each new book.
Tamra LeValley
Oct 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Private Review for Readerviews
Ann O.
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
It wasn't the strongest in the series, but it hopefully set things up for an interesting next installment.
Marylou Hobbs
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
LOVE THE CHARACTERS AND THE HISTORICAL TIME FRAME.
Seagull
Feb 18, 2016
Birdingrver
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Holy Innocents (Roger the Chapman, #4)
  • Cup of Blood (Crispin Guest #7)
  • The Murderer's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #6)
  • The Uninvited Guest (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #2)
  • Roman Games: A Plinius Secundus Mystery
  • A Poisonous Plot (Matthew Bartholomew, #21)
  • A Famine of Horses (Sir Robert Carey, #1)
  • The Secrets of Gaslight Lane (The Gower Street Detective, #4)
  • Bandits of Rome (Carbo of Rome Book 2)
Priscilla has a degree in world literature from San Francisco State University, where she discovered the beauty of medieval literature. She is a theater fan as well as reader of history, mysteries, and fiction of lesser violence. She lives in Northern California and belongs to the California Writers Club and Sisters in Crime.
More about Priscilla Royal...

Medieval Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • Tyrant of the Mind (Medieval Mystery, #2)
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
  • Justice for the Damned (Medieval Mystery, #4)
  • Forsaken Soul (Medieval Mystery, #5)
  • Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery, #6)
  • Valley of Dry Bones (Medieval Mystery, #7)
  • A Killing Season (Medieval Mystery, #8)
  • Sanctity of Hate (Medieval Mystery, #9)
  • Satan's Lullaby (Medieval Mystery, #11)