Start by marking “The Unplugged Woodshop: Hand-Crafted Projects for the Home & Workshop” as Want to Read:
The Unplugged Woodshop: Hand-Crafted Projects for the Home & Workshop

The Unplugged Woodshop: Hand-Crafted Projects for the Home & Workshop

Woodworker Tom Fidgen is very well known in the online woodworking community, and his first book, Made by Hand, was critically acclaimed. In his second book, Fidgen presents more hand-tool woodworking projects for the home and workshop. The projects have a distinctive retro look, recycling designs from our not-so-distant past. He has reconceived the classic library card ca ...more
Published October 1st 2013 by Taunton Press (first published September 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Unplugged Woodshop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unplugged Woodshop

Kamal
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: woodworking
This book is an improvement over his previous book, but it is still lacking. Older, better-conceived books are out there in used book stores and garage sales. Find them. Read them. Improve your woodworking skills. Don't bother with this one.
So, I Read This Book Today
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: craftspeople
Recommended to So, I Read This Book Today by: Publisher
Gorgeous Craftsmanship! My mission in life is to preserve craftsmanship. - Waris AhluwaliaI will no doubt sound outdated in the extreme when I say this – but I truly miss craftsmanship. In this day of plastics and throwaways, the feel of a truly well made table, the curve of a hard-carved chair arm or the beautiful lines of a bookcase is something I search for, and don’t often find. So, it was with great pleasure that I accepted when asked to review The Unplugged Woodshop by Tom Fidgen. Mr. Fidg ...more
Stephany Wilkes
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a beautifully written and photographed book, but is sometimes more beautiful than useful. The book disappoints when it comes to being able to execute because it lacks sufficient plans and detail. This is true for some projects more than others, in that different projects have different levels of information with which to build, so there is inconsistency between chapters. For this I blame the publisher and editors more than the author, of whom I'm a fan and follow via his blog.

Take the s
Shane Amazon
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps like you, I am always a little weary buying books like these because they usually end up being 200 page presentations with little more than pictures and general instructions on concept. But here in The Unplugged Woodshop we actually get step-by-step instructions on how to build real world projects using in-depth instructions and drawings. Books like this can be difficult to review, so let me give you an understanding of just what you will find within.

Not only is this book an instructiona
Just - The romance reader
**I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I will first say that I am not a wooodworker, however I grew up very much exposed to the woodworking aspect of construction. My dad is a finish carpenter which is very much an art form and thus I was interested in seeing what this book has to offer. Because of growing up around someone who does woodworking I am familiar with some of the techniques and the terminology used throughout the book.

I think the overall concept of the boo
Bernie
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: woodworking
I first came across Tom Fidget via his excellent website the unplugged woodshop. Working from his small workshop he produces some amazing projects. He is a devotee of hand tools and does demonstrate what can be achieved without power tools. The style of videos is very slick no commentary only Tom and his tools. He has another string to his bow which is music the soundtrack to his workshop exploits is fantastic.
I almost forgot I am writing about his second book Unplugged Woodshop: Hand-Crafted P
Joshua Allen
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Tom covers the basics of working wood by hand and offers designs for several tools to help you maximize your woodworking skills and tools. Therer are several cool projects for your shop, office or gifts that cover a wide range of woodworking skills and techniques. A great intro to woodworking with hand tools, especially if you supplement with Tom's blog: http://www.theunpluggedwoodshop.com/. There you'll find videos of several of the projects, notes on the projects that didn't make ...more
Ben Matthews
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Beautiful projects, incredible talent, short on detail for beginners. It was a good read, and provides a few pieces of wisdom that are worth the time to check it out.
Curtis Wilkerson
Aug 04, 2018
John Cooper
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: woodworking
Great and inspiring stuff.
Adam Killian