Start by marking “Giving the Finger: Risking It All to Fish the World's Deadliest Sea” as Want to Read:
Giving the Finger: Risking It All to Fish the World's Deadliest Sea

Giving the Finger: Risking It All to Fish the World's Deadliest Sea

Part documentary, part reality-television, the story of the Deadliest Catch’s Alaskan crab fishermen risking their lives in the Bering Sea to make a buck and feed their families has captivated the world. Giving the Finger follows the life of the spirited young captain who has emerged as one of the most talked-about figures on the show, Scott Campbell Jr., who leads the cre ...more
Published April 2nd 2014 by Lyons Press (first published February 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Giving the Finger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giving the Finger

Heidi The Reader
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads. FTC guidelines: check!

I had heard of Scott Campbell from watching the amazing television show, The Deadliest Catch, and from those short glimpses of him, I was expecting a lot from this book. He only mentions the television program very briefly towards the end of the narration, so if you're a huge fan of the show- you probably don't know much of what's in here and you're in a for a huge treat.

This book is a thrill ride of a life
Durk
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book via the Goodreads first reads program. Thank you!

I really liked the first four chapters, especially the description of all of his close calls (how didn't he break any bones??) and life on the farm and the sea. I had no idea that orchard farming was such hard work.

Even though I can't relate to de-icing a boat, and I hope to God that I'll never see exposed bone at work, I did relate to his experiences. Scott writes about the challenges of his life in a way that
Jk
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book via the Goodreads first reads program and would like to thank everyone who made that possible.

I spent all day tearing through this book and thoroughly enjoyed every second of it! What an incredible, interesting and moving story. I have been a fan of the show since it started and have always been amazed at all the stuff these guys put themselves through. Overall I thought this was a really fun and well-written read and a great story!
Erin
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in a giveaway on Good Reads. It was a quick read. This book was very interesting and gave you a glimpse as how Junior became the person he is today. You learn a lot about the rough spots he has encountered while being out at sea and the toll it takes on having a family. I would recommend this book especially to fans of The Deadliest Catch. It gives a more in depth look at everything a captain on the Bering Sea has to go through to catch crab and keep his crew safe.
Becky
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Scott Campbell Jr., better known as "Junior" to fans of "Deadliest Catch," chronicles his career in the fishing industry in "Giving the Finger: Risking It All to Fish the World's Deadliest Sea." It's an entertaining look at a dangerous industry, and offers more background information on the history of fishing in the Bering Sea. The style of writing is rather conversational, making it a quick read. Fans of the show will enjoy it.
Jeanne
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wild adventure that never stops. Very enjoyable, very well written. Explore the world of arctic fishing without getting wet and cold.
Nancy Seamons
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
a fascinating story about one man's dedication to life as a crab fisherman in the Bering sea.
Sandy Emmons
Interesting read

I enjoyed this and found out many things about crab fishing which was good since we are huge fans if the show.
Judy
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting quick read delving into Junior's life as he grew up, started fishing, and continued to fish. He's a daredevil who gives it his all and doesn't lack for adventures but he's always willing to put in the effort. I enjoyed that this book wasn't all about stroking Junior's ego. You got that he was just an average dude doing one of the deadliest jobs and enjoying the heck out of it. You don't have to have seen the show Deadliest Catch to enjoy this book; it reads as a great memoir. In f ...more
Lori Vaccaro French
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
This is one of the Deadliest Catch boats. The book itself followed very well and made for a quick read. Scott Campbell came off as a bit arrogant but owned up to his mistakes. The part that really bothers me is many of these guys seem to glorify the party drunk fisherman image. Yeah some do, but many don't.
Art Delaney
Interesting re danger of the job and particularly length of seasons and impact on family life. Vocabulary and structure is pretty basic.
Robyn Obermeyer
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love stories from Alaska, the fishing boats the details of the jobs on ship, the hardships the crew endure, the big bucks , the adventure! good book and \now i get the title after reading it!
Amanda
Stephanie Piessens
Aug 24, 2014
Renee
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy reading the behind the scenes of the fisherman and this was no exception.
Jeffrey Mecham
Dawn Petersen
rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Hack: How I Stopped Worrying About What to Do with My Life and Started Driving a Yellow Cab
  • Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2018
  • Captain Phil Harris
  • Relapse
  • Inside Edge: A Revealing Journey into the Secret World of Figure Skating
  • Around the World in a Bad Mood!: Confessions of a Flight Attendant
  • Other People's Dirt: A Housecleaner's Curious Adventures
  • First Jobs: True Tales of Bad Bosses, Quirky Coworkers, Big Breaks, and Small Paychecks
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2016
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2014
  • Abandoned Ship: An Intimate Account of the Costa Concordia Shipwreck
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2012
  • Fire Road: The Napalm Girl's Journey Through the Horrors of War to Faith, Forgiveness, and Peace
  • Winged Obsession: The Pursuit of the World's Most Notorious Butterfly Smuggler
  • The Molecule of More: How a Single Chemical in Your Brain Drives Love, Sex, and Creativity--and Will Determine the Fate of the Human Race
  • Noble Savages: My Life Among Two Dangerous Tribes - the Yanomamo and the Anthropologists
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2015