Start by marking “To Live Is Christ to Die Is Gain” as Want to Read:
To Live Is Christ to Die Is Gain

To Live Is Christ to Die Is Gain

Using Paul's radical letter to the Philippians as his road map, Matt Chandler forsakes the trendy to invite readers into authentic Christian maturity. The short book of Philippians is one of the most quoted in the Bible, yet Paul wrote it not for the popular sound bites, but to paint a picture of a mature Christian faith. While many give their lives to Jesus, few then go o ...more
Published September 1st 2013 by David C Cook

To ask other readers questions about To Live Is Christ to Die Is Gain, please sign up.
Bess I wish I had had it when I was in college. The book can be read alone or in conjunction with the Bible study by Matt Chandler. I recommend the whole…moreI wish I had had it when I was in college. The book can be read alone or in conjunction with the Bible study by Matt Chandler. I recommend the whole study and wish I had had access to the book and study when I was in college. I recommend also that it's read slowly, at least that's the way I read it because, although I had studied Philippians before, I gained a new perspective on the Book. (less)

Barnabas Piper
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I love Matt's preaching. I love some of the studies that have come from his messages. This book was just chaotic, though. I had a really hard time tracking the point he was making in any chapter and no chapter really fed into the next. Lots of true stuff and good nuggets, but lost in the chaos.
Glen
Disclaimer: I don't usually review books about Theology. While I am well acquainted with the Bible, I am not a theologian and do not care to debate people on the 'finer' points of what they believe and what I believe, especially from the Reformed stance.

That being said, I felt this book, which was well written by a favorite author, Matt Chandler, deserves the attention of our elders as a possible church-wide read on the book of Philippians. Matt did a extremely good job bringing Philippians ali
Adam Smith
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all
Analysis

I think the best description of this book is that it is like a collection of sermons on the Book of Philippians. Each sermon has been polished into a well-crafted chapter. The quality of Chandler's writing is high. He is a skilled communicator; both spoken and written. The book flows well and has points of penetrating introspection. Interspersed are personal stories that tie in well to the thought of each chapter. This helps lighten the mood of an otherwise serious book.

As far as I can t
Nick
I have been reading this book in conjunction with watching the video series upon which it is based. As a matter of fact, some sentences are word for word the same. Let me just say that as a lesson series this material is really good. Chandler is very engaging and offers up a lot of solid teaching. However, it loses somehing in book form.

This book is not a mere transcription of the DVD series--it has been expanded. Possibly by Jared C. Wilson. Actually I'm not quite sure what role Wilson had to
Nathan Schneider
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
There are some books that are fun to read. Because of Chandler's unique and forthright style of writing, I found this book enjoyable and challenging. This book was a balance between a commentary and a book on Christian living. Very helpful. Joy. Humility. Maturity.
Dan Curnutt
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Matt Chandler gives us a very good commentary on the book of Philippians. Based on one of his sermon series he takes his sermons and notes and expands on them to deliver a very readable commentary on Paul's letter to the Philippians.

What I appreciate about Chandler's writing is that the book is very readable for both the lay person and the preaching pastor. It gives excellent insight through good illustrations and his obvious passion for communicating God's truths to his congregation.

We are doin
Jerry Rehkemper
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
It gave me a great insight on St. Paul with the Philippians. It has increased my knowledge of Bible.
Spencer R
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
You can read the (much) fuller review on SpoiledMilks (8/4/13)

Chandler wrote this book "to invite readers into authentic Christian maturity,” and looks at some of Paul's themes in Philippians, a letter written to help grow one to maturity, unity, and contentment in Christ

The Chocolate Milk
The book really began opening up on chapter 4. Ch 4 is about showing humility to a world that wants to show off. Yet do we follow God for a nice earthly mansion, or because of who He is and what He's done? The
Tung
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: my second favorite book in the Bible is Paul’s letter to the Philippians and my life verse is Phil. 3:8, so I’m predisposed to like the content of this book. Matt Chandler is the pastor of a TX megachurch, and a frequent speaker at national conferences. And with good reason: he’s a gifted preacher – that is, he is engaging, conveys Biblical truth in a relatable and easy-to-understand manner, and is passionate about everything he preaches on. This book is essentially Chandler’s exposi ...more
Davina
The first half of the book confused me a little, since I thought it would be kind of a commentary to Phillipians. It was kind of chaotic - Chandler didn't work much with the text, talked a lot about not being satisfied with our Christian life and not taking God's grace for granted.
The last chapters made more sense to me personally. Chandler tries to motivate his readers in this book to yearn for more of Jesus and work for the advancement of his kingdom instead of relaxing because of grace. Whil
Josiah
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
Excellent, excellent book. Chandler goes through the book of Philippians sequentially and pastorally explains how we ought to be driven time and time again back toward Christ in our lives here on earth. One of those books I wished many times I was reading in paperback and not digitally so that I could underline and take notes in it. It helped that I was reading this book at a time when I really need to hear and be reminded of the message that Chandler powerfully made here. Anyways, there were so ...more
Matt Crawford
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is simple yet I felt a conflict inside of me. The main themes include rejoicing and contentment. Maybe I should mention that it is a brief exposition or walking through of the Book if Philippians. So of course those are the themes. I also read it with Chandler’s voice and mannerisms in my head. It’s like a bunch of mini sermons. It all leads up to true contentment. There is a gospel presentation in it but the audience is obviously those who have been in the faith for some time. If you ...more
Susan
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book, watched the accompanying DVD and discussed it with a Bible study group. We all agreed that it was one of the most instructive studies we have done.

In particular the chapter about rejoicing in the Lord even when life is not at a peak moment was very meaningful.
Jacob William
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Honestly, most of the book is just filler with maybe 3 chapters worth remembering. I loved the later chapters on contentment and an earlier one finding what spurs on our affections for the Lord and doing those things intentionally! Great motivation and good thoughts to ponder on.
Jackie Eason
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource if you are studying Philippians. He ties in a lot of the concepts from other books as well, especially a lot of Paul's life and other writings.
Porter Sprigg
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians
At first, I felt that the writing was pretty basic, but as I kept going I found a lot of insight in Chandler's explication of Philippians. It presents the Gospel simply and truthfully, providing the right motivation for serving God: his incredible mercy. The book inspired me to evaluate my own life and my faithfulness to God. I recommend it.
Brent
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-2500-fy19
Wow. This was an audiobook given to me as a gift. I listened to it in two days. i didn't want to pause it at all. What a blessing. What immersive history. Heart touching, convicting and encouraging. As in depth as it goes into Philippians, I now want to dive deeper into my own study of the book.
Isaac Hicks
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy to read, humorous at times, and sad at times. Honestly the first half of the book was pretty bland, but it really picked up in the last few chapters. I'm glad I stuck with it.
Victor Gentile
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Matt Chandler with Jared C. Wilson in their new book, “To Live Is Christ To Die Is Gain” published by David C. Cook shows us Paul’s radical letter to the Philippians.

From the Back Cover: A road map for authentic Christian maturity.

This is not a book with popular sound bites and bumper-sticker theology. This is a disruptively inspiring message from Matt Chandler, a pastor and Bible teacher, who invites you to walk with him through the short book of Philippians.

A study in the Book of Philippines d
Alexis Neal
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it
An excerpt of a review recently posted on Schaeffer's Ghost:
Near as I can figure, this ‘new’ book is really just his 2009 Philippians video/DVD sessions (with accompanying study guide) repackaged in book format. I don’t know why it’s been repackaged as a book, but then I guess it doesn’t hurt to put out another gospel-oriented book on Philippians.

Chandler is at his best when he describes real-life anecdotes applying the truths he’s learned—specifically, the health struggles endured by himself an
David Shane
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
An extended exposition of the book of Philippians centered around finding your life in Christ (could you guess?). One of those books that might not teach you a lot that is "new" to you, but certainly reminds you of a bunch of stuff you almost always need reminded of. So recommended, and I thought it got better as it went on. (Or maybe I just need reminded about where I find contentment as another busy semester is about to begin! Last chapter, that.)

Only three stars because... I felt the book was
Glen
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
An insightful read that helps readers enter into the richness of an incredible book in the Bible. I must admit that the book started slow for me due to Chandler's modern colloquialism. However, his depth of knowledge on Paul's letter to the Philippians is evident throughout.

The aspects of the book that most appealed to me were: 1) his love of the Word, 2) his adeptness at connecting Paul's spiritual journey with modern sensibilities, 3) his range of voices from other Christian thinkers and 4) hi
Thaddeus
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Probably one of my favourite books by Matt Chandler! However, Philippians is also one of my favourite NT books - so I may have some bias there... Chandler's use of the text and his skill in bringing points home hit you hard in all the right places of conviction and encouragement. His use of stories and illustrations help to illuminate the Biblical texts and his candour and clarity are very helpful in a day when so much is muddled. He is a brilliant communicator and shines the light of the Gospel ...more
Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books)
Chandler reminds us to stay humble, no matter what the circumstances, and always, always think towards Jesus in our trials. It isn't up to us to determine when we die or if we keep on living and regardless of that, we must remember that we have a Savior who not only knows our past, present, and future, but is ALREADY present in our past, present, and future.

He writes with such conviction but also with such grace. Chandler brought us deeper into the book of Philippians, causing us to reexamine Pa
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-copy
I honestly feel really badly for giving this book such a low rating, because even though I've never heard Matt Chandler preach and had never before read one of his books, I respect him based on what I know about him. I'm hesitant to speak negatively of this book.

I think young believers may enjoy this book, but I just found it very elementary and had a hard time staying engaged. The writing style was also very casual and colloquial, and a bit rambling and disorganized at times.
Matthew Mofield
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding!

Powerfully gospel centered. Extremely insightful study of Philippians that is challenging and encouraging. A must read for everyone seeking to follow Christ more deeply.
Hannah Reed
"Contentment means being satisfied not with the gifts but with the Giver"
Josh
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, review
If you hated the gospel, wouldn’t the apostle Paul be the most frustrating human being alive? It did not matter what anyone did to this man, he loved God and continued to show it in every possible way.
We see Paul’s gospel fixation echoed throughout his letter to the Philippians. He is the man who when threatened says, “Well, to die is gain.” In response his captors will say, “We’ll torture you, then.” He says, “I don’t count the present suffering as worthy to even compare to the future glory.” Y
Michelle
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a teenager, I had the privilege of getting to hear Matt Chandler speak at a youth camp I attended, and I was extremely impressed with how he delivered God’s word in such a dynamic fashion. He also preached a revival at the university I attended in my early 20s. I knew this book was one I wanted to check out.
This book has been on my “must read” list for a couple of years now. I made it part of my reading challenge for 2018 and finally finished it. Here are just a couple of thoughts.
To
tessaj094
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book is so beautifully and thoughtfully written. I can honestly say it made me reevaluate my life and way of thinking about God. I would recommend it to everyone, especially those struggling in their faith.
It is written by a pastor for the Village Church in Dallas Texas which is attended by more than ten thousand people, but I strongly feel that it applies to anyone of Christian faith or belief. And can also provide very thought provoking content to even those who are not. The author
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • How Should I Live In This World? (Crucial Questions, #5)
  • Jesus the Evangelist: Learning to Share the Gospel from the Book of John
  • Glorious Ruin: How Suffering Sets You Free
  • The Holy Spirit (The Gospel Coalition Booklets)
  • Nothing Is Impossible with God: Reflections on Weakness, Faith, and Power
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • Astonished: Recapturing the Wonder, Awe, and Mystery of Life with God
  • Gospel-Centered Discipleship
  • Letters to a Young Pastor
  • Discover the Mystery of Faith: How Worship Shapes Believing

Matt Chandler is the lead pastor of The Village Church, a multi-campus church in the Dallas metroplex of over 10,000 people. His sermons are among the topselling (free) podcasts on itunes and he speaks at conferences worldwide. Prior to accepting the pastorate at The Village, Matt had a vibrant itinerant ministr
“Never be satisfied with where you are in the area of spiritual growth. Cultivate an insatiability for more of God by examining your weaknesses, beholding the perfection of Christ, and finding good examples of strengths you want to develop.” 12 likes
“So what does it look like to live a life worthy of the gospel of Jesus Christ? It looks like walking with, loving with, and doing life with those who are different from you. What binds you together is Christ. It looks like striving together to make Christ known. What motivates you is Christ. And it looks like standing with courage against all oppressors, natural or supernatural. What secures you is Christ.” 11 likes