Start by marking “The Art of Tinkering” as Want to Read:
The Art of Tinkering

The Art of Tinkering

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  163 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The Art of Tinkering is an unprecedented celebration of what it means to tinker: to take things apart, explore tools and materials, and build wondrous, wild art that’s part science and part technology. Join 150+ makers as they share the stories behind their beautiful and bold work—and use the special conductive ink on the cover to do some tinkering yourself!

Brought to you
Published February 4th 2014 by Weldon Owen (first published October 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Tinkering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Tinkering

Unbored by Joshua GlennMake by Kate HartmanInvent To Learn by Sylvia Libow MartinezMAKE by Charles PlattThe Art of Tinkering by Karen Wilkinson
Makered Books
5th out of 10 books — 3 voters
The Makerspace Workbench by Adam KempGeek Toys Guide by Popular ScienceTech Upgrades Guide by Popular ScienceMixed Metal Mania by Kim St. JeanSoldering Made Simple by Joe Silvera
Make Santa Fe
39th out of 44 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Yoo-yoo
Mar 12, 2016 Yoo-yoo rated it it was amazing
This book, by the folks at the Tinkering Studio at the awesome Exploratorium science museum, is filled with creative applications of everyday materials. To only list a few of my favorites:
- Inflatable plastic bear, placed over NYC subway vents and expand when a train goes by, to the delight of passerby (page 190)
- Using foam and paper to build cam mechanisms - mechanical linkages that transfer rotary motion to linear motion, or vice versa (page 146). This was mind-blowing - what a novel human in
Amy
Nov 02, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
I'm happy this book exists, I just think its target audience is small.

As my official introduction to the "maker movement" I found myself very distracted by all the pretty pictures, and, well, everything. I'd look at a page and be so confused as to where to focus my attention. Then, when I started reading, I found myself hitting so many techno-newbie roadblocks ("What's a script?" "Wait, what's an LED light?") that I found myself resigned to scanning the pages to look at pretty pictures. But scan
Crystal Johnson
Mar 24, 2014 Crystal Johnson rated it it was amazing
This was a very fun book to look through. I don't have much of a science background but I enjoyed it thoroughly. The text to pictures ratio (lots of great pictures, by the way) was perfect. You'll be jotting down names and ideas and materials to do further research or some fun youtubing.

People with a science background probably already did a lot of their own tinkering shown in the book but I think they will take away some creative ideas to try out. This book will appeal to both adults and childr
Marcia
Nov 13, 2014 Marcia rated it it was amazing
This book from the Exploratorium does an excellent job of sharing the fun and inquiry of the maker movement. Cool stuff. The book breaks down tinkering into categories- with amazing projects and their creators highlighted. There are projects to try on your own, and loads of inspiration.
An excellent addition to the Maker Space.
Lafayette Public Library
Jul 03, 2014 Lafayette Public Library rated it really liked it
The book cover can conduct ELECTRICITY. How cool is that? Within the pages are tons of projects inspired by the Exploratorium for DIYers of all stripes. This isn't exactly a how-to book; rather it's a buffet of what's possible to stir your creative juices. I particularly liked the section on photography using DIY drones.
Andrew Watt
Feb 03, 2015 Andrew Watt rated it it was amazing
This book is part of the Design Library at my school now. It's a great introduction to what tinkering is, why it matters for kids and adults, and it has thousands of photos which explore both inspiration and perspiration — some great ideas, and many how-to's that take longer than an afternoon to complete.
Heydi Smith
May 31, 2014 Heydi Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-non-fic
This book is freakin awesome! If I was like 8 or 12 and had to be stuck in a car or plane or any confining space this is one of the books I want with me. It has the coolest, weirdest stuff you can think of and projects toucan try to. Love it.
Michelle
Dec 01, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It was more of a showcase of what people have done, instead of a "how to" book. I thought it was okay content wise, but the book itself is lovely.
Storyheart
Nov 03, 2014 Storyheart rated it really liked it
Full of inspiring ideas to get people of all ages creating. Especially good invitation to the world of tinkering for girls and women
Alex Galarza
Great source for program ideas or tinkery crafts in general. Great profile on tinkers currently working on projects.
James Eckman
Dec 08, 2015 James Eckman rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, diy
This feels a bit like a souvenir book for the Exploratorium. While there's a scattering of DIY, it's mostly an art showcase.
Amy
Mar 10, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great ideas for projects at the intersection of art and technology!
Megan
Jan 10, 2015 Megan rated it liked it
A lot of fun to browse, with lots of great projects that would translate well to Hive-land. Notebook-hacks, wearables, and the squishy circuits are totally in the cards.
Julia
Nov 29, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: haisln
A great book for people considering a makerspace for their school and for kids and adults that enjoy "tinkering."
Heather
Nov 17, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
I wish I owned this book.
Ngọc Anh
Jun 13, 2014 Ngọc Anh rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1
sdflaskdfalsdfsdfasdfs
Maureen Tumenas
Mar 11, 2016 Maureen Tumenas rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource- lots of ideas... a keeper!
Mills College Library
500 W6868 2013
Henry Huang
Nov 08, 2014 Henry Huang rated it really liked it
Michelle
Very cool ideas for people who are interested in techy art. Great pictures. (As an aside, I learned that I'm personally not interested in doing projects like these myself.)
Jon
Nov 06, 2015 Jon rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-craft
I expected more of a project book with art elements, but this is really an art book with maker elements. It got me thinking about art, but it wasn't what I was looking for.
Ananya Garg
Aug 29, 2015 Ananya Garg rated it really liked it
This book is great for anyone who wants some inspiration! One day I want to make the watercolor typewriter.
Josi
Apr 02, 2014 Josi rated it really liked it
If you like art/engineering def check this book out! :)
Jim Tiffin Jr
Mar 08, 2015 Jim Tiffin Jr rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book of ideas to inspire the experienced maker.
Anna
Anna added it
Jul 25, 2016
Alexis Morra
Alexis Morra marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Giannis Tsakiris
Giannis Tsakiris marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Tiffany Petroc
Tiffany Petroc rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016
  • Invent To Learn: Making, Tinkering, and Engineering in the Classroom
  • Beautiful LEGO
  • Playing with Books: The Art of Upcycling, Deconstructing, and Reimagining the Book
  • 3D Art Lab for Kids: 32 Hands-on Adventures in Sculpture and Mixed Media - Including fun projects using clay, plaster, cardboard, paper, fiber beads and more!
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Little Big Minds: Sharing Philosophy with Kids
  • Tinkerlab: A Hands-On Guide for Little Inventors
  • Fresh Quilting: Fearless Color, Design, & Inspiration
  • Geek Mom: Projects, Tips, and Adventures for Moms and Their 21st-Century Families
  • The Having of Wonderful Ideas: And Other Essays on Teaching and Learning
  • Grant vs. Lee: The Graphic History of the Civil War's Greatest Rivals During the Last Year of the War
  • The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1
  • Guys Read: True Stories
  • The Caterpillar and the Stone
  • Ed Emberley's Drawing Book: Make a World
  • Martha Stewart's Favorite Crafts for Kids: 175 Projects for Kids of All Ages to Create, Build, Design, Explore, and Share
  • Rough Passage to London: A Sea Captain's Tale
  • Rhythms of the Brain

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »