Start by marking “The Case of the Love Commandos (Vish Puri, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Love Commandos (Vish Puri, #4)

The Case of the Love Commandos (Vish Puri #4)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,913 Ratings  ·  291 Reviews
The wonderful fourth outing for Delhi detective Vish Puri.

When Ram and Tulsi fall in love, the young woman's parents are dead set against the union. She's from a high-caste family; he's an Untouchable, from the lowest strata of Indian society. Young Tulsi's father locks her up and promises to hunt down the "loverboy dog." Fortunately, India's Love Commandos, a group of vol
Published October 8th 2013 by Simon & Schuster (first published October 1st 2013)

Vimal Thiagarajan
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tarquin Hall has got me out of a most definite whodunit reading slump which had made me abandon/shelve atleast a dozen books this year at various percentages of completion. This book was perfectly unputdownable, thanks to Hall's superb and thorough grasp of the commonalities of Indian life and his featuring collaborative detective work rather than the much common and sometimes grossly unbelievable one-man-does-it-all.

The starting made me jittery since the scenes seemed to be straight out of unb
Petra
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Vish Puri series is a fun and interesting story that mingles Indian life & customs with family & friends, mystery & murder. As each book is read, we learn more about the characters, life & custom in India and about the food….so much delicious food. The combination of story, characters, life and mystery is charming and entangling. These books are fun to read.
In this book, Tarquin Hall examines the caste system of India and how it segregates the people from mingling together in
Rajan
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: my friends
Tarquin Hall is a British journalist hailing from London. He has written Vish Puri India's "Most Private Investigator” books. Hall has a good understanding of Indian realities. He weaves these in Vish Puri books.

Ram and Tulsi are in love. Ram is a Dalit (lower caste shudra, untouchable) and Tulsi is Brahmin. Naturally her father is against the alliance and tries to prevent them from getting married. There is a secret organisation called “THE LOVE COMMANDOS” who tries to unite these star crossed
Rebecca
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Immensely enjoyable.. Fast paced. Loved Vish Puri his associates and his family especially Mummyji and Rumpy...
Ivonne Rovira
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers and arm-chair travelers
Tarquin Hall’s fourth novel in the Vish Puri detective series proves just as remarkable as the previous entries. Hall, a British journalist who lives in India and is married to an Indian, captures the sights and smells of India while providing an excellent and amusing mystery. Vish Puri fans will be delighted; those new to the series won’t be at a loss and will enjoy The Case of the Love Commandos as much as seasoned readers.

When high-born Tulsi Mishra falls in love with low-born Ram — a Dalit,
Leslie Reese
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Tarquin Hall finds clever ways of using elements of India’s culture to tell stories of intrigue in his Vish Puri novels. In this instance, he comments on the caste system by introducing us to the Love Commandos through the romance of Ram (a Dalit, or “Untouchable”) and Tulsi (a Thakur, or higher caste). In Utter Pradesh, when Ram is abducted from the Love Commandos safe house, Detective Vish Puri---and his operatives, Flush, Facecream, and Tubelight (I love these nicknames!)---are called in to f ...more
Aanandika
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
The Case of the Love Commandos (Vish Puri, #4) by Tarquin HallUmm.....The book makes for a light reading. If you are an Indian reading this book, chances are you will be supremely impressed by Mr. Hall's knowledge (or research) on Indian towns and how things work here. I may add here that he is a British journalist living now in India with his wife. That said, I found the book enjoyable to a great extent but also found some bits and parts quite irritating.

The most enjoyable things first. The caste of characters and their names. Consider these- Facecream,
Cathy Cole
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fourth book in the splendid series by Tarquin Hall feels a bit disjointed compared to the other three, but it hardly seems worth mentioning. The main reason for the story being "out of joint" is the fact that readers get to learn more about Vish Puri's assistants. Instead of being secretive creatures referred to as "Facecream" and "Tubelight," we get to see some of the things they do when they're not investigating a case for Puri. While we learn about them, we learn about the very real prej ...more
Bookfanatic
I don't read mysteries, but I make an exception for these Vish Puri (Most Private Investigator) stories because by far he is one of the funniest characters I've come across in literature. You can read this as a stand alone book, but if you've read the three previous stories in the series, you'd get more insight into the main characters. Once again we are treated to Vish trying to solve a very high profile case. This time it involves the kidnapping of a young man from a low caste trying to marry ...more
Linda
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Delightful read of a delightful cast of characters! Mummy-ji is priceless as the common-sensical, sharp-tongued matriarch in this latest detective novel featuring Vish Puri. it all starts with what seems like an incidental pickpocket crime to draw sharp attention to a very real situation of caste discrimination, missing person and the Love Commandos - a vigilante group dedicated to helping lovers break the caste barrier. Cultural insight added to clever story-telling and classic private investig ...more
Vikas Datta
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting enough but one flaw no one caught - the political clash is being pitched as a Brahmin-Thakur clash but both the protagonists have Brahmin names. Still quite a bit of contemporary Indian politics finds itself one way or the other into the narrative quite plausibly but certain plot lines could have been better served as being separate... And yes, sometimes that Indian English is grating..
Diane
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alexander McCall Smith readers
Shelves: indian, mystery
The Vish Puri books are fun and warm and touching. There is always something to learn as well about India. In this book Hall addresses the complex issue of caste, and the love commandos which are a real organization.

"Love Commandos is a voluntary organization in India dedicated to helping India’s lovebirds who want to marry for love. We provide assistance in protecting couples, helping them fight harassment and giving them shelter so they can marry freely."

Katina
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book series!!

Fun read, great mystery and Chubby is so entertaining. I like that this series gives you a taste of India too.
Monika
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Vish Puri is back with his humor trying to solve a case for love commandos, an organisation he doesn't believe in :) What a fun read this one.
John Lee
According to my definitive reference source for all things to do with authors , titles and synopses, FantasticFiction.com this was the fourth of the Vish Puri series and last to date.
I am a little curious about the author who is an English born writer/journalist approaching 50 who now divides his time between the UK and India. Throughout this series he has wound his stories around an Indian landscape wracked with poverty where ordinary people struggle to exist. I have never been but his words pa
Elaine
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful, a great mystery plus you learn all about life in India. This novel focuses on the caste system. The descriptions of the people and places are wonderful; and the food - so tempting. I am glad there are recipes in the back because I am now preparing Indian food.
Tripfiction
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Novel set in India (The Indian Poirot)

For fans of the detective novel, this is sheer delight from start to finish. It’s the kind of book you should keep for a duvet day. Just curl up on with some chocolates, or more appropriately a few pakoras, and get stuck in. What’s even more delectable is that there are three more books in the series to dip into.

Vish Puri, Hall’s detective, is an Indian version of Christie’s Poirot and every bit as quirky. Like Poirot, he considers himself an exemplar of sar
Linda
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one of those "cute" books that you love to read. They're candy for the brain because you don't have to think and they have fun dialogues and characters.

Vish Puri is the owner and chief employee of Most Private Investigators, Inc., based in Delhi. No description of him is necessary when you hear that his pet name at home is "Chubby." He IS the top investigator around, although that is contested by Hari Kumar, another Delhi investigator who is as money conscious and snappily dressed as Vis
Susan in NC
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this series more and more with every outing; this time we learn a bit more about Facecream, one of master private detective Vish Puri's operatives, and Mummy-Ji again plays a prominent role, this time uncovering the masterminds behind a temple burglary.

The previous book in the series, "The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken", was more somber in tone and the mystery was rooted in the still-painful scars resulting from the partition of India and Pakistan in 1947; this outing focuses on the
Sharon
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had eagerly awaited this latest Vish Puri case, and I wasn't disappointed in the least. I find the description of modern day India fascinating, and from all accounts from natives, Mr. Hall's depiction are not only colorful and interesting, but accurate. I so enjoy the depictions of food, and love the recipes, though I've not attempted any yet. The glossary of Indian terms is invaluable.
All that being said, the book isn't just settings and bonuses. The case (or, rather, cases, as several over
Magill
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Probably a 3.5 but this is a nice advancement from the previous book in balancing the plots and the characters.

Mummy-ji has a role to play, less so Rumpi, but Mummy-ji continues to be a solid character in charm and smarts. Facecream has a large role in this book as well and we learn a bit more about her. And, of course, Vish Puri, beset with trials and bad luck, a love of food and several mysteries to solve - as well as retaining his reputation.

There was some humour here, as usual, but the autho
Jgrace
The Case of the Love Commandos - Hall
audio performance by Sam Dastor
3 stars

Tarquin Hall is good at giving funny titles to his books. This one competes with The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken for the most outrageous title in his series about Vish Puri, most private detective. And the book isn’t without humor, just not as much as the title lead me to expect.

Following the formula of the previous books, Hall balances serious crimes and social issues with humor. Mummy-ji pursues a pickpocket
cloudyskye
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series, and this book was just as good as its predecessor, the "Butter Chicken". It's a fun armchair trip to India without actually having to endure the heat, the crowds, and the corruption - yes, I'm a spoilt (and happy) Central European ... ;)
Tarquin Hall has created a lovable cast. Other than Vish Puri himself (obviously), my favourite characters are Facecream, the resourceful and somewhat mysterious lady operative, and Vish Puri's Mummy-ji who gets better and better.
Can't wait f
Arlene
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
For those of us who've had the marvelous opportunity of living in India for a span of time, the tales of Vish Puri, his team, and his mummy-ji, are a charming (and not so charming) reminder of life on the Indian continent.
Judy Abbott
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hindistan'ın en özel dedektifi Vish Puri, son macerasında kadim kast sistemi ile mücadele ediyor. Geleneksel hac ziyaretine giden annesi ile karısı da tapınak soyguncularının peşinden koşuyorlar. Mükemmel atmosferi, büyüleyici Hint yemekleri ile bezeli enfes bir polisiye. Bayıldım.
Judy
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this series. Fun to read and also learn about Indian cultures. Nice mix of changing times in India. Especially enjoy addition of Mummy-Ji adventures on solving cases much to chagrin of her son.
Niko Vantala
Muutama vuosi sitten silmiini pisti kirjakauppojen hyllyille ilmaantuneet värikäskantiset ja ulkoiselta olemukseltaan varsin erottuvat Vish Puri-pokkarit. Olin ehtinyt kyseisiä pokkareita hipelöimään jo muutamaan otteeseen ennen kuin lopulta päätin viime talvena tarttua härkää sarvista ja poimia yhden mukaani Helsingin rautatieaseman kirjakioskista, jossa tuppaan usein värjötellä junaa odotellessani.

Tarquin Hall on New Delhissä asuva englantilainen toimittaja-kirjailija, jonka luoma ihastuttava
Cassie Troja
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved
I have thoroughly enjoyed Tarquin Hall's entire Vish Puri mystery series. The character of Vish Puri is endearing and well-developed, with hints of another certain portly gentleman PI shared by Agatha Christie. Before reading these books, my insider knowledge of Indian culture was embarrassingly limited to one mom-and-pop type authentic Indian restaurant I used to frequent while living in England. But after the first chapter of "Missing Servant," I was hooked and the Vish Puri series became my g ...more
Anne
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, public-library
  • Deadly Harvest (Detective Kubu, #4)
  • A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul (Inspector Singh Investigates #2)
  • The Kizuna Coast (Rei Shimura Mystery, #11)
  • Killed at the Whim of a Hat (Jimm Juree #1)
  • Children of the Street (Darko Dawson #2)
  • Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #2)
  • Behind That Curtain (Charlie Chan, #3)
  • Mrs Ali's Road to Happiness
  • The Last Six Million Seconds
  • A Rumpole Christmas
Tarquin Hall is a British author and journalist who has lived and worked throughout South Asia, the Middle East and Africa. He is the author of The Case of the Missing Servant, dozens of articles, and three works of non-fiction, including the highly acclaimed Salaam Brick Lane, an account of a year spent above a Bangladeshi sweat shop in London’s notorious East End. He is married to Indian-born jo ...more
More about Tarquin Hall

Vish Puri (5 books)
  • The Case of the Missing Servant (Vish Puri, #1)
  • The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing (Vish Puri, #2)
  • The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken (Vish Puri, #3)
  • The Delhi Detective's Handbook: Vish Puri's Guide to Operating as a Private Investigator in India

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Mother
    $2.99 $1.49
“These included the top of Mount Everest and up the chief’s rear passage.” 1 likes
“Sir, with due respect and all, my mummy-ji told me not to speak with strangers,” said Puri, conscious that Naga was now standing directly behind him.” 1 likes