Start by marking “Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened” as Want to Read:

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  171,907 ratings  ·  12,220 reviews
Grca badge winner
This is a book I wrote. Because I wrote it, I had to figure out what to put on the back cover to explain what it is. I tried to write a long, third-person summary that would imply how great the book is and also sound vaguely authoritative--like maybe someone who isn’t me wrote it--but I soon discovered that I’m not sneaky enough to pull it off convincingly. So I decided to ...more
Published October 29th 2013 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Hyperbole and a Half, please sign up.
Denise I need to buck the trend here... I would say it is a great book for teens (12+ and possibly earlier if they are mature or coping with depression). Yes…moreI need to buck the trend here... I would say it is a great book for teens (12+ and possibly earlier if they are mature or coping with depression). Yes, there is profanity and inappropriate language, but if you've been around groups of teens lately, you'll know they won't be reading anything they haven't heard before. In the book, Allie is sharing her thoughts and feelings, and while they aren't PC, they are very concrete examples of what she feels like living with depression, lack of motivation, etc. My son was given this book as he was undergoing treatment for severe depression, and our entire family found it a really great starting point for understanding what he was dealing with, at a time when he didn't have the energy or words to describe it himself. It's a great book in general, and I highly recommend it for anyone who copes with depression or knows anyone who does! (less)

·  171,907 ratings  ·  12,220 reviews

Start your review of Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
Wil Wheaton
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved it, and I know I'll visit this book again and again. My only sad: the alot does not make an appearance.

SO I DEMAND A SEQUEL! I DEMAND IT ALOT!
Patrick
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My assistant introduced me to this book, and I immediately fell in love.

Oh Allie Brosh, where have you been all my life?

Oh. You were on the internet. And apparently all the cool kids have known about you for ages.

Here's a link to her website just in case you've been living under a rock like me:

Go and read some.

You can thank me later.
karen
go to this now!!!

i don't laugh at books much. don't get me wrong, i am not averse to the emotion humans call "happiness." sometimes i will find myself smiling at an amusing book. i have been known to chuckle, even. but this book ripped out my funny bone and started tickling me with it. not only did i LOL, i was crying with laughter by page four. PAGE FOUR! i even took a picture of my laughter-tears as proof which i intended to use in this review, but then i
MischaS_
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, english
Totally unexpected, I did not expect that I would like it this much. My personal favourites are The God Cake and The Party.
Really funny read, I hope to read more by this author in the future.
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I don't think I've seen a book that most of my friends agree on as much as this one. It seems everyone loves it.
You would have to be a turd to not love this book. Allie Brosh is most awesome.

Allie, You should come and play with us on Goodreads. We are nice people. Most of us are somewhat sane. We would have fun and eat cake together. I'll bring the alcohol.

Now to the book.
So much fun..if you haven't checked out her blog you just need to stop what you are doing and go there.
Rose
Initial reaction: This book deserves ALL THE STARS!

You knew that was coming, right? :) On a serious note, I loved Allie Brosh's funny, honest, and charming account of her life through the artwork and narration in "Hyperbole and a Half." This book is a compilation of several stories Brosh has told on her blog of the same name, compiled in this book, along with some stories I'll admit I haven't seen before.

Full review:

I always have a difficult time writing reviews on books that hit my all-time fa
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Felt a bit disjointed, which is precisely why I dock it 1 star. Otherwise, this was immensely inriguing, like watching people going about their lives. :)

Q:
But I keep allowing it to happen because, to me, the future doesn’t seem real. It’s just this magical place where I can put my responsibilities so that I don’t have to be scared while hurtling toward failure at eight hundred miles per hour (c)
Q:
Fortunately, it turns out that being scared of yourself is a somewhat effective motivational techniq
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

How many stars do I give this one????

Some things I figured out while reading Hyperbole and a Half:

Whooops, sorry – got distracted. Okay, where was I? Oh yeah, stuff I learned.

I think there’s a good chance I adopted clones of Allie Brosh’s dogs . . .

my anti-social behavior is 100% A-Okay . . .

cake IS a fucking food group and no one is going to tell me otherwise . . .

geese are dangerous psychopaths that become e
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Pinky

“Desperation breeds ingenuity”

It was definitely a witty, funny read, many times it was so hilarious, often, twisted and yet, still very relatable. It was also sometimes sad but very genuine. Just salute to the author for simply admitting the lousiest things that sometimes come across our human’s unpredictable, messed up heads. The drawings are hilarious and I completely enjoyed the fun read.

I know this is not much so do check out my friends' reviews:

Shelby's
Tamara's
Pinky's
Cindy
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'd like to say I liked this book - I did try to. And I can't deny the freaky power of Allie Brosh's crudely drawn illustrations to evoke complicated emotions and ideas.

But I'm tired of navel-gazing blogs turned into books - this one reminded me over and over again of Jen Lancaster - both Brosh and Lancaster, for instance, tell stories of their unloveable dogs that I suppose are intended to make us love the wild rascals or admire their owners for putting up with their bad behavior but only leav
carol.
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of humorous autobiographies
Allie Brosh astounds me. Despite her strange little drawings, particularly a self-portrait that looks something like a marine tube worm, she reaches some profound truths in the course of her book. Part graphic novel, part autobiography, she manages to both amuse and discomfort the reader in the best of ways. Though she presents herself as a person struggling with severe depression issues in a number of the stories, she touches on human truths most of us experience.

Hyperbole and a Half originates
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

When I first read and reviewed an ARC of HYPERBOLE AND A HALF in 2013, I wasn't in the best place, and reading this book was like shining a light on all the bad parts of myself that made me feel shitty but that I didn't fully understand. It was the first time I really felt seen and understood. Like, "This is how it is and it's shit but here's a funny picture to make you feel better." It wasn't condescending because Brosh really did under
Jason
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, for-kindle, 2014
I tend to stay away from humoristic memoirs because some of the ones I’ve read in the past have let me down. A lot of them rely too heavily on shock value as their primary source for humor and that’s a strategy that wears thin rather quickly. This book is different. In fact this book is actually kind of phenomenal.

Put together by an artist who has made a career out of blog postings containing crude graphical representations of her life, this book sources its laughs from a magnifying-glass perspe
jv poore
I read this once, then again with a highlighter. This week, I am sharing it with "my" high-school seniors and I cannot wait.

When the dedication in the front of a book elicits a guffaw, it is a sure sign that the following memoir is going to be hilarious. Hyperbole and a Half is delightfully funny; but not in an "it will make you smile" or even the ever-popular "LOL". No. This is snort diet Dr. Pepper out of your nose, choke on your own saliva, tears flowing down your face, funny.

Amid the gaiety
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This collection of Allie Brosh's thoughts on dog ownership, depression, moving, weird childhood ideas, self-identity, and other life topics is a little random (a lot of it was previously posted on her website). She's really insightful - I feel like I understand depression better after reading her chapters about dealing with it. And her "Identity" chapters delve into the lies we tell ourselves. I laughed even though I see myself in some of these behaviors.

Her drawings never fail to crack me up.
Nandakishore Varma
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am a chronic anxiety sufferer: so I can tell you that the most frightening labyrinths and the most fearsome torture chambers are within one's own mind. I inhabit quite a substantial part of my time there. The constant fear is that one might get permanently stuck there, in the condition we call "insanity". Each one of us have our way of coping so that the tunnels never cave in.

Allie Brosh, from her own confessions and from what I could gather from her book, spends a lot of time down in those tu
Emma Sea
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Allie Brosh = infinity stars

Hyperbole blog = six stars

My regrets for buying this book = ZERO

The actual book = *whispers* eh, it was good. Yeah, good. Not brilliant. But good.

Reasons =

No alots
Pictures depicting nighttime in a dark forest should not have gray writing on them
The new content that wasn't on the blog was a bit hit or miss for me. Some . . . um . . . can I say it? Seemed like fillers.

Bonus star = lush full color that gave me a slight high from the sheer volume of ink (also the smell t
Greg
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hyperbole and a Half Review

I'm happy that this book exists. If I had known about the blog, like millions of other people, before the book came out I would have been happy that it had existed. But I didn't. Who knew there was good stuff out there on the interwebs?

I couldn't believe how much I was actually laughing out loud at the first story when she finds a letter from her ten year old self to her older self and then responds with writing letters to various aged younger versions of herself. This
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was HILARIOUS, but also deep at times which I really appreciated. It was a nice balance.
abby
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am an ugly laugher. This is something I didn't know about myself until I read this book. This is the type of book that's not merely amusing or funny in the way of smart satire. No, Brosh's brand of humorous life observation, coupled with her rough but charming illustrations, will have you clutching your side, desperate for air. My husband banned me from reading this book at night because my hysterics woke him up, and I got a lecture about REM cycles and proper adult bedtimes (incidentally, my ...more
Natalie Monroe

I finally know where this meme originated from. From Allie Brosh and her fabulous, fabulous book.

Hyperbole and a Half is the perfect novel to read on a rainy day because it's unbelievably funny. It consists of random incidents and observations in Allie's life, ranging from toddler cake consumption:

“I had tasted cake and there was no going back. My tiny body had morphed into a writhing mass of pure tenacity encased in a layer of desperation. I would eat all of the cake or I would evaporate fro
Jenny (Reading Envy)
A book club friend loaned this to me. I am very familiar with Hyperbole and a Half, have even been known to use an image or two from it as profile pictures (especially the cell from the social entrapment post that says "I'd love to hang out but I have to go sit in my house by myself.") So, already a huge fan, love simple dog, and enjoyed reading this. I'd been a bit bogged down in depressing (yet award-nominated) books and also had spent four days in training this week, so this was a welcome res ...more
Florencia
May 18, 14
Will I ever find something like this book, again?!

***

Jan 05, 14

This is kind of how I look right now while writing these modest thoughts.

description

Do you see that smile? That little face. It's like a child on sugar overdose after eating half a cake on his birthday during vacations at Disneyland. So, I'll try to control myself.

I was smiling since its introduction. After reading all her “Warning signs” I just knew it was going to be a hilarious book. I didn't know this was such an Internet sensatio
Hilary
At first I thought I wasn't going to like the illustrations in this book but they really grew on me. The illustrations of the dog characters are wonderful, the expressions are perfectly captured.

This book was so funny, some chapters really make me want to read them again and again. The cake chapter was hilarious, also simple dog and helper dog, the chapter on chili eating too.

Thank you to Lisa Vegan for recommending this book and sending me the link to the Alots. I really hope this author writes
Jessica
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this! I thought it was hilarious and I was laughing out loud at some chapters! I think my favorite was the chapter about the Simple Dog or when she was writing to her 25 year old self.. "Do you still like dogs? What is your favorite dog?" Haha Apparently this author has a blog so I'm going to have to check that out for sure! Some of this was pretty relatable actually... I did enjoy the deeper parts as well. Overall definitely light and fun and I recommend it if you're in the mood
Diane
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous
This book had me laughing so hard I started crying. I mean that as a compliment.

Allie Brosh writes the popular blog Hyperbole and a Half, and this is a collection of her favorite web comics and a few new ones. I first found her blog when her post titled "This is Why I'll Never Be an Adult" was getting shared on Facebook and Twitter. It's about her occasional bursts of motivation to Get Stuff Done, but how exhausting and frustrating it quickly becomes to be so responsible. I was happy to see thi
Melki
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Allie Brosh knows more about dogs more than Cesar Millan. She knows them inside out and what makes them tick. She understands them. She just doesn't know what to DO about dogs.

The stories about Brosh's dogs are fall-down funny. There is simple dog who is basically a sea cucumber with legs and helper dog who will surmount any obstacle to bark at the neighbor's dog. If you are a dog lover, you will find them HILARIOUS.

Other tales, particularly about depression and some seriously questionable lapse
Barbara
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it

"Hyperbole and a Half" is culled (in part) from Allie Brosh's very popular blog. I hadn't heard of the author until I read laudatory comments about this book on Goodreads, and I'm glad I decided to read it. The entries about Allie's life - rendered as cartoon drawings with captions and anecdotes - are funny, relatable, and touching.

The book opens with a letter Allie wrote to her future self when whe was ten. The letter - which is actually a series of questions to her older self (Do you
Emily B
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was great! I found it very relatable, particularly the part ‘why I’ll never be an adult’. The dogs parts were the least entertaining but the rest was awesome and I was able to read it in one sitting.
Louisa
Allie Brosh of the Hyperbole and a Half blog = my longtime girl crush! She's irreverently funny and just so incredibly genuine. Readers of her blog will recognise some of the stories in this. (I'll confess to missing the Alot one just because it was what introduced me to her in the first place, but I'm so glad the depression and simple dog ones made it in.)

ANYWAY. What, you need some motivation to pick this up? Never fear!

(Content removed because Touchstone didn't want me using unauthorised cont
Books & Coffee Bo...: August 2018: Hyperbole and a Half 6 23 Aug 26, 2018 02:36PM
Play Book Tag: Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh - 4.5 stars 3 21 Mar 31, 2018 08:18AM
Play Book Tag: Hyperbole and a Half/Brosh - 3 stars 10 30 Mar 16, 2018 02:47PM
picture this! 2 18 Oct 11, 2017 11:01AM

• Night of the Rat
  • The Wrong End of the Table: A Mostly Comic Memoir of a Muslim Arab American Woman Just Trying to Fit in
  • Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir
  • Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood
  • My Dog: The Paradox: A Lovable Discourse about Man's Best Friend
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
  • Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things
  • Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
  • Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim
  • Naked
  • Yes Please
  • Adulthood Is a Myth (Sarah's Scribbles, #1)
Allie Brosh has enjoyed writing ever since her mom tricked her into writing a story to distract her from her immediate goal of wrapping the cat in duct-tape. She started her award-winning blog in 2009. Brosh lives in Bend, Oregon, with her husband Duncan, her two dogs, and six pet rats.

Articles featuring this book

Tech pioneer, co-founder of Microsoft, co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and author Bill Gates is an avid reader who has ...
“Most people can motivate themselves to do things simply by knowing that those things need to be done. But not me. For me, motivation is this horrible, scary game where I try to make myself do something while I actively avoid doing it. If I win, I have to do something I don't want to do. And if I lose, I'm one step closer to ruining my entire life. And I never know whether I'm going to win or lose until the last second.” 391 likes
“I've always wanted not to give a fuck. While crying helplessly into my pillow for no good reason, I would often fantasize that maybe someday I could be one of those stoic badasses whose emotions are mostly comprised of rock music and not being afraid of things.” 170 likes